[Non-political] News that makes you Laugh/Cry/Both...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I could go on about my adventures outside, mostly they involve my parents demanding I go outside then coming out of the house screaming and knocking me on my ass in front of the little shits that passed for friends back then whenever they saw me doing something (for example, if I was holding or touching a stick.)
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

erik wrote:I think that's how generations are supposed to work. Which makes me suppose that since my brother makes sense as Gen X'er, I guess I should be as well.
That can't work as a hard rule. Not just because I turn 33 this year and my youngest sister turns 16 this year meaning she's young enough to be my daughter if I lived in Perth*, but because these arbitrary lines are drawn at arbitrary points, and if you are born one year after the line but your brother is born one year before it, you are wildly different generations who can't possibly understand each other or get along, and clearly will hate each others' taste in (everything).

Indeed, not all couples go "Well, IT IS THE YEAR FOR US TO PRODUCE CHILDE" and begin the process, resulting in all Boomers being basically the same age (I mean, aside from "What, a hundred? A thousand? They're fucking old"), then there being an empty gap of "a generation" (20 years?) and then all Gen X are the same age, and so on. They are scattered about across basically every year and you essentially have half-gens (and no matter how small a number you break it into, you will still find this to be the case, with even smaller half-generations) it is completely meaningless.

*Zing!
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

erik wrote:and having bottle rocket battles.
Man, that brings back memories...some of the most fun I had with my friends was our bottle rocket launcher we made out of PVC and seeing what stuff we could hit with it.

And then I see this thing recently, am I glad it wasn't available when I was young? Not sure...
http://sploid.gizmodo.com/make-the-four ... 1762638372
Koumei wrote:Indeed, not all couples go "Well, IT IS THE YEAR FOR US TO PRODUCE CHILDE" and begin the process
In China this happens a lot, based on the year-animal. Some year animals are more lucky/auspicious/whatever, so there are huge clumps of kids born on the "good" years" and tons fewer born on the "bad" years. Couples will actively hold off having a kid until a good year swings around.
Last edited by phlapjackage on Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I suspect part of the reason these labels never feel like a good fit is because they're retrospective bullshit by definition. I'm a year older than Koumei and as a school kid I couldn't really identify with the terms Gen Y or Millennial in part because nobody had a chance to really pigeonhole us yet, which rendered the terms even more meaningless than they are now. If anything I identified with a lot of Gen X stereotypes just because they happened to actually be fairly defined and already entrenched in pop culture.
bears fall, everyone dies
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Koumei wrote: That can't work as a hard rule. Not just because I turn 33 this year and my youngest sister turns 16 this year meaning she's young enough to be my daughter if I lived in Perth*, but because these arbitrary lines are drawn at arbitrary points, and if you are born one year after the line but your brother is born one year before it, you are wildly different generations who can't possibly understand each other or get along, and clearly will hate each others' taste in (everything).
That happened with my wife and me. I'm just barely on the Gen X side of the line, and she's about a year on the other side. As far as generalizations go, both of our upbringings were quite similar.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Here's a dose of WTF from Russia.

In Rostov-on-Don a sudden check found out that the local police's armory is missing 246 guns (both police weapons and confiscated firearms). Now obviously that's a lot and led to a scandal, because clearly the police is selling guns to the local criminals. But then it got better. The police chief decided that if the guns were bought back and returned the problem would be miraculously solved. But it didn't. The police chief got caught in a car with the regional mob boss, with trunk full of guns.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Microsoft made a teenage girl and then let her loose on Twitter. This proves to have been a mistake.

On the other hand, she did come up with some amazing burns.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... al-maniac/
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Netflix is planning to premier a new Voltron Series on June 10th o.o
My Childhood has an apprehensive nerd boner . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Stahlseele wrote:Netflix is planning to premier a new Voltron Series on June 10th o.o
I really don't care for the animation style. It's the same as Avatar's. And while that worked worked really great for Avatar, it just doesn't feel right for a mecha anime.
erik
King

Post by erik »

hyzmarca wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:Netflix is planning to premier a new Voltron Series on June 10th o.o
I really don't care for the animation style. It's the same as Avatar's. And while that worked worked really great for Avatar, it just doesn't feel right for a mecha anime.
I dunno. Half of Korra practically was mecha anime.
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

I have vague childhood memories of Voltron that were generally positive but frankly I don't care about that intellectual property one way or another. But when a buddy was telling me about its impending revival and got to the part where the A:TLA/A:LOK guys are coming in to make it, I suddenly was interested.

A:TLA was amazing front-to-back and though A:LOK had its faults, it was more good than bad and always bold. So what I'd really like to see is some recognizable but not particularly profound piece of IP get picked up and rebuilt into something that's actually good. Interesting. Set the standard and raise expectations for reboots like this. And if that lesson comes in the form of Voltron then hooray for Voltron.
Last edited by Shatner on Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
sendaz
Journeyman

Post by sendaz »

As long as Voltron can do the thing....
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

Voltron introduced me to the idea of heirloom technology. When I was six, the notion of a sci-fi setting where very old but highly-developed masterwork devices could still be better than whatever cheap shit people had made in the meantime was was one that blew my fucking mind.

I don't remember very much else about the show at all, but I think I'd go as far as to call that the central tenant of the show. It's not just that its a mecha story (where heirloom technology is already a really common conceit); Voltron is also a product of the 80's, where pulpy "genre" fiction still hadn't been so completely partitioned into "sci-fi" and "fantasy," and I think it's emblematic of the period that a somewhat fantasy-aligned quality like "the golden age is already over and ours is only the remains of a greater civilization" should creep in.

I think if they emphasize that characteristic, they'll find the license to make the show pretty much anything they want and still have it come out as a coherent extension of the original.
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

okay actually I just looked up voltron ep. 1 on youtube and it was terrible

just............ really bad.

not really sure if it wasn't a joke
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I did the same thing last year!
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Hamburger Helper dropped a mixtape on April Fool's Day and it's kinda okay.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mu ... story.html
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

If you ignore the lyric matter of the tracks, they're actually really good...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Sound wave now turns into an actual size tablet
Last edited by Prak on Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Wuld be better if the tablet worked.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Some kids sued the state for not doing their job of saving Washington from climate change. They won:

http://www.thestranger.com/slog/2016/04 ... hange-case
Last edited by Maj on Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

so, appearantly, we are living WAY further into the future than i had thought:
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/new ... nce-427011
That thing is somehow real.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

That things realness is hotly contested, last I heard. I certainly want it to be real, but I'd also like to see it outside of a carefully managed and cut promo video.

Also, they can call it a hoverboard for marketing purposes, but I know a Goblin Glider when I sees one.