Proposed Game: Desire and the Dead (Tome)

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Heh, accusations of homosexuality. :rofl:

This is Sigil, not the sticks. Talking about being getting in bed with man, woman or other isn't a big deal here. People who bring their own patriarchal ideologies are rubes, just like a skinhead or meshback in any cosmopolitan city.

Also, there were no accusations at all. Needleteeth was simply observing how the last time he was grappling with someone in heavy armour and spikes, that they eventually ended up getting in bed together; and that he's not really much one for guys; so he didn't want the grapple to go any further.

Anything else is simply assumptions made.

Also, as some other people have pointed out, a good chunk of the PCs are pretty non-conformist and non-patriarchal in their partner choices.

As for Kaelik being unable to talk with his PC; honestly, that's a problem for him to resolve in game. It shouldn't be decided for him, and that shouldn't be a reason for booting him.

I've seen players with mute PC at larps who can out roleplay people who spend all their day typing their posts on on PbP rps. Trust me, a mute PC has no problem in a game.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Akula wrote:
Avoraciopoctules wrote:A typical magic weapon for a PC in this game would be a sword with an enhancement bonus and perhaps a minor quality.

If it's an intelligent item, then it has levels of PHB sorcerer. In the case of an independent item not necessarily willing to consistently cooperate with the PC carrying it, I'd make it something with significant but not overwhelming power.

So, the katana is a level 4 sorcerer. It has a scaling enhancement bonus, telepathy, and can see the area around it (it can see through magical and normal darkness). It messes with people's heads by casting Suggestion. It does not cast Web or Glitterdust.
I think this would be a mistake. That item is more powerful than the PCs. An intelligent magic item is already much better than a sword with a lesser property. There is no need to make it better than PC. If you really want to grant more power in exchange for drawbacks...you can do it. But those deals are generally considered a horrible idea for a reason.
Also, the item you outlined has one of the primary abilities of a PC, so it might step on some toes.
That seems a valid argument. I had intended to give it a bunch of less-than-useful spells, but this does seem potentially problematic.

It is a Magic Sword. If it isn't sheathed, it can talk telepathically with its wielder. No, actually, let's just let it talk to whoever is touching it. It has other powers, but you need to be a fiend or jump through one of several other hoops to start reactivating them. It is mostly awesome in that it can give advice.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Judging__Eagle wrote:
Heh, accusations of homosexuality. :rofl:

This is Sigil, not the sticks. Talking about being getting in bed with man, woman or other isn't a big deal here. People who bring their own patriarchal ideologies are rubes, just like a skinhead or meshback in any cosmopolitan city.

Also, there were no accusations at all. Needleteeth was simply observing how the last time he was grappling with someone in heavy armour and spikes, that they eventually ended up getting in bed together; and that he's not really much one for guys; so he didn't want the grapple to go any further.

Anything else is simply assumptions made.

Also, as some other people have pointed out, a good chunk of the PCs are pretty non-conformist and non-patriarchal in their partner choices..
Dammit JE, you've just made it that much harder for me to troll ubernoob by having burly men start hitting on him when he takes off his armor. I was going try to leading him into joining a hilariously ineffectual anti-gay subfaction.
Judging__Eagle wrote:
As for Kaelik being unable to talk with his PC; honestly, that's a problem for him to resolve in game. It shouldn't be decided for him, and that shouldn't be a reason for booting him.

I've seen players with mute PC at larps who can out roleplay people who spend all their day typing their posts on on PbP rps. Trust me, a mute PC has no problem in a game
I could work with a mute PC. Hell, if someone wanted to play an Awakened bear, I could work with that. I'd probably try and convince them to turn it into an ursine martial artist of some kind, and good times could quite potentially be had by alll. His PC being unable to talk is one of several problems.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I tend to write up a big gay ogre NPC in my own games to make the homophobes uncomfortable. So far, I really haven't needed to use said NPC, but every campaign, I write a new one up.

As my games have changed, so too has the NPC. Usually they're a bigger combat monster than any of the PCs, and are either built with the same, or less resources, than the PCs. They're also keen on members of the same (or both) genders.

The fact that the best 'fighter' the players have met so far is also gay; or that most Samurai from the Celestial Bugbear Shogunate are also into man-bear love (in keeping with the original source material); or that most of the biggest military empires are open about same-sex relationships... well, it tends to help re-educate people about places like say... ancient Japan, Greece, Rome, etc..

Regarding issues on inability to talk. Well... some of the PCs are telepathic. That can be helpful.

The Magic item... should both take up a slot; and really, should also be a cohort, bought with Leadership/Command/Etc..

The singing sword is an Aragorn level item; and casts as if they were a Sorcerer of Frodo's level at the start of the book.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

My idea was the magic sword would be a detriment as opposed to a helpful thing.

Ya know, since it's EVIL.

Sure, it kicks all sorts of ass but anyone who wields it liable to turn Starscream pretty quickly.

In fact, that's it allegiance, Traitors and Klingon Promotion. It does exactly what you expect a Diabolical weapon to do and that tempt you to go up the heirarchy of power by killing your friends.

Baldraxe, since he serves a CG deity, is very much in favor of keeping that thing under wraps. Katanas are not better. And whether or not Baldraxe feels like being honorable and just doesn't destroy the damn thing is a question up to debate.

But no, it's not a weapon he can safely or reliably use.
Frank on the Fighter (Abridged)
FrankTrollman wrote:
God_of_Awesome wrote: Could I inquire on the motive behind the design decisions on the Fighter class?

The Fighter is intended to be, like the Wizard, a character who can and does adapt their tactics to the opposition and draws upon player experience to deliver tactical victories. And to do it without "feeling" like it was using Magic.

So honestly, when someone tells me "I know the game backwards and forwards, and when I pull out all the stops with the Fighter I totally win!" And my response is "OK, good." Because that's exactly what people report with the Wizard too.

-Username17
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Examine the characters in the party you are joining. One has an allegiance to "Indiscriminate Death", and another is a fiend who channels the power of Baator.
Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

Judging__Eagle wrote:I tend to write up a big gay ogre NPC in my own games to make the homophobes uncomfortable. So far, I really haven't needed to use said NPC, but every campaign, I write a new one up.

As my games have changed, so too has the NPC. Usually they're a bigger combat monster than any of the PCs, and are either built with the same, or less resources, than the PCs. They're also keen on members of the same (or both) genders.
Hahaha, that's great. Don't mean to interrupt, but I think I'm going to have to nick that idea for my own campaigns.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:Examine the characters in the party you are joining. One has an allegiance to "Indiscriminate Death", and another is a fiend who channels the power of Baator.
Which bring an interesting dynamic. It may color his impression of what to do with the sword.

He may then try to keep the sword a secret from them, never unsheathing it in there presence, especially the fiend. Or he may go the opposite direction, if he feels the fiend has a stronger will then the sword and 'Send it back to whence it came' and give it to the fiend.
FrankTrollman wrote:
God_of_Awesome wrote: Could I inquire on the motive behind the design decisions on the Fighter class?

The Fighter is intended to be, like the Wizard, a character who can and does adapt their tactics to the opposition and draws upon player experience to deliver tactical victories. And to do it without "feeling" like it was using Magic.

So honestly, when someone tells me "I know the game backwards and forwards, and when I pull out all the stops with the Fighter I totally win!" And my response is "OK, good." Because that's exactly what people report with the Wizard too.

-Username17
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Exactly. So I'm not going to give it ridiculous asymmetric powers until level 6 at the very earliest. Vorpal is a Major quality, not a minor one.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Aw, very well then.

I am admit to being unfamiliar with the actual metric of enchantments.

I don't suppose a simple +X bonus would be sufficient?
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Gah! GoA, read the fucking Book of Gears. Learn how items work in the Tomes. Fuck.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Akula wrote:Gah! GoA, read the fucking Book of Gears. Learn how items work in the Tomes. Fuck.
I'll make it even easier. Magic weapons in the Tomes have an enhancement bonus equal to 1/3 of your character level, rounding up.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Nicklance
Master

Post by Nicklance »

God of Awesome, do you need a link to the latest PDF?

At the bookmarks side tab there is a link called Book of Gears. You need to scroll down abit to find it.

And then upon clicking the Book of Gears bookmark, you'll need to start reading from the first page. It should contain all the information you need.

Take your time.

Enjoy it. (Yes this is a hyperlink, please click me.)
There ain't no rest for the wicked.
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

The fact that the current track playing on my iTunes is a Final Doom remix titled River Styx feels somehow appropriate.

====

I'm starting to prepare some more material. Does it look like the PCs are going to investigate one of the rumors or go on patrol first? Or option "Other", of course. I can handle a split party if necessary.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:The fact that the current track playing on my iTunes is a Final Doom remix titled River Styx feels somehow appropriate.

====

I'm starting to prepare some more material. Does it look like the PCs are going to investigate one of the rumors or go on patrol first? Or option "Other", of course. I can handle a split party if necessary.
I'm not sure how our little strategical debate is gonna play out just yet, but we'll see.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Thanks Nick. This is enlightening.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Okay, I've come up with two possible enchantments for the evil magic katana besides it +1/3 level bonus and being an evil sentient sword that promotes Starscreaming and Klingon Promotion.

1. It's a Terror weapon. Very simple.

2. It's a Berserking weapon with an added twist. It's an Active enchantment as opposed to a Constant one. When activated, you are immune to mind-affects as normal except the Suggestion spell of the katana, to which you actually get a penalty of some sort against.

The first means if you pull out the weapon, you might as well (And are automatically anyway), use its magic. The second makes Plan C (Plan B is pulling out the sword, Plan A had to fail first), a doubly risk proposition.

As for the Suggestion spell it can cast that I'm hoping to stick with:

1. It only can does so to it's wielder and only once per day and only if wielded.

2. As above but instead does it every round its wielded.

3. As #2 but it may also cast Suggestion on anyone nearby (X ft) once per day if it gets unsheathed.
Last edited by God_of_Awesome on Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Nicklance
Master

Post by Nicklance »

We've just barely attained a +1 from our magical equipment by dint of being level 3. Where in the blue blazes were you thinking you can get a weapon that has more than what everyone else's +1 has? And yes lucky you your weapon has Ghost Touch as well. I don't see anything in the Samuari class features that gives you what you are asking for right now when we are all level 3.

Have you read Book of Gears already GoA?
Last edited by Nicklance on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Okay, charsheet finally fully drafted:

Zevras, Bastion of the Lost Monastery

Patience. Discipline. If you have nothing else, have these.

Background:
Zevras was one of the unfortunate victims of a collapsed Githzerai Monastery, which split apart after an assault by a few Death Slaad – killing many of the stronger anarchs and leaving its structure unstable and defenseless against the chaos of Limbo. He fell through a portal into Sigil, and when he recovered found that he was alone there. After determining his location, Zevras determined that the best course of action was to begin training his mind and body to more effectively protect the Githzerai people, since his own home was now most likely dissolved completely into the chaos-matter. He still had his armor, shield, and karach blade with him, and started to take up street-fighting in order to hone his will and fighting prowess.
Race and Type: Githzerai (medium humanoid)
Class: Soulborn 3
Speaks: Githzerai, Common, Slaad
Allegiance: The Way of Zerthimon (main), Striving for Perfection, Killing Illithids
Background: Refugee from The War

Str: 10 (+0)
Dex: 18 (+4) (16 + 2 racial)
Con: 14 (+2)
Int: 12 (+1)
Wis: 16 (+3) (14 +2 racial)
Cha: 17 (+3) (16 +1 item)

Hit Points: 36
BAB: +3
Initiative: +4
Saves: Fort 8 Ref 8 Will 12
AC: 23 (+4 Dex, +7 armor, +2 shield), touch 14, flat-footed 19
Proficiencies: Zevras is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and his Soul Blade (a bastard sword). He is proficient with Light, Medium, and Heavy Armors in addition to Shields.
Attack Routine: Soulblade +8 melee 1d10+1 force 18-20/x2 (+4 Dex +3 BAB +1 magic) or Bolts of Agony +7 ranged touch 1d10 and Fort DC 12 or dazed x2 (+4 Dex +3 BAB, requires SGA Soulmeld)
Full Attack Routine: Same as attack routine.

Feats:
1) Iron Will
3) Weapon Finesse

Speshul Powarz:
Arcane sight always on
Psionics: Mage hand at will
Spell Resistance 4
Darkvision 60 ft.
Slippery Mind
+2 to saves versus Mind-Affecting abilities
Soul Smite: +Cha to attacks, +level to damage on all attacks (swift action). 10-round cooldown.
Pressing Assault: Taking a 5-foot step within Zevras’ threatened area provokes an attack of opportunity.
Zevras has the Edge against anyone with a lower Dexterity than his.
Zevras gets 4 Totems and 2 Chakras.

Items:
Cloak of Charisma (+1 enhancement to Charisma)
Magic Mithril Suit (+1 enhancement to Armor bonus)
Dampening Sandals (+3 to Move Silently)
Mithril Shield
A coin pouch.
Ragged clothing.

Skills:
Concentration +4 (+2 Con, +2 racial)
Hide +9 (6 ranks, +4 Dex, -1 ASP)
Knowledge (the planes) +7 (6 ranks, +1 Int)
Move Silently +12 (6 ranks, +4 Dex, +3 Competence, -1 ASP)
Sense Motive +9 (6 ranks, +3 Wis)
Spot +11 (6 ranks, +3 Wis, +2 racial)

Soulmelds:
Navy Secret Mantle: Zevras’s psychic will distorts the form of space around him, creating a field which warps light and alters trajectories. He gains a Deflection bonus to AC (+1 at current level) and a 20% miss chance due to Concealment.

Dimming Midnight Gauntlets: These gauntlets are formed to disrupt magic, and upgrade Zevras’ spell resistance to 9 + level. By projecting their power outward, he can also counterspell as an immediate action by making a Dispel check (caster level equal to level).

Steel Grasping Boots: Zevras’ psychic powers, when channeled through the boots of his soul, are able to overcome and redirect the bonds of gravity. While “wearing” them, he can walk or even run on walls or ceilings, and gains an Enhancement bonus to Dexterity (currently +1).

Amulet of Sapphire Magic: This soul amulet channels telekinetic force, and allows Zevras to shoot the Bolts of Agony formed from his own despair. It also shields him from further harm, by way of a Resistance bonus to Saving Throws (currently +1).

Zevras uses the Necrocarnum option, so his stuff doesn’t glow and is instead dim and spooky.
Last edited by Quantumboost on Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Nicklance wrote:We've just barely attained a +1 from our magical equipment by dint of being level 3. Where in the blue blazes were you thinking you can get a weapon that has more than what everyone else's +1 has? And yes lucky you your weapon has Ghost Touch as well. I don't see anything in the Samuari class features that gives you what you are asking for right now when we are all level 3.

Have you read Book of Gears already GoA?
Well, that's for the evil katana. My ancestral weapon is a greataxe.

I could just drop the katana idea if it doesn't work. I don't find all that essenntial.

And yes, I read it. I didn't like the cohort idea so I suppose I'll just drop it.
Last edited by God_of_Awesome on Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

God_of_Awesome:

How about a wand of healing?

This is Tome, and regular wands do not exist. PCs may, however, have magic items that take up a slot and allow DM-approved spells such as CLW at will. This would be an item which lets you use Cure Light Wounds AT WILL, OMG, as a standard action. No UMD rolls or spellcasting capabilities required. You could reflavor it into a Healing Belt or magic gloves if you wanted.

---------------------

Quantumboost:

The character looks great, but I'd like you to expand the character sheet a bit. Having your skill modifiers easier to look up would be nice.

--------------------

I have been pondering about whether or not to follow through on my question to Kaelik and make a DMPC. Even if I don't actually use, the concepting is fun. Here are some potential PC portraits I put together using the fabulous create.swf

Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Could I have it as a glove?

Glove of Healing gives my Palarai a Lay On Hands ability. Which is awesome.

Yeah, I'll have it as a glove. Hey, is it ok if my ancestral weapon great axe is firey? Or terrifyingly firey?
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Sure

-----

It's a martial weapon, not an exotic one, so I'd be willing to give it some kind of bonus. With a move action, you can make it deal Fire instead of Slashing damage.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:The character looks great, but I'd like you to expand the character sheet a bit. Having your skill modifiers easier to look up would be nice.
Okay, I've expanded the skills I have which aren't raw ability checks. And removed the ones that were left over from the sheet I borrowed formatting from. Whoops.

Any other modifications you'd like?
Last edited by Quantumboost on Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

So, the prospective portrait on the right. I'm figuring he wears bandages over his eyes, then wears a magic charm over the bandages he can see through. Possibly setting a magic item slot on fire to do so. Maybe justify it by giving him some kind of light sensitivity. The antenna and green hair might be used as justification for some kind of ludicrous fey connection. Then you have him wearing a vest over a black robe. Maybe a vest full of pockets stuffed with tools. Held closed with bright red buttons. I'm trying to think of a class for this. It is a most entertaining mental process.