Dom3: Revenge of the Den

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

The armies of marignon massed in Werk Enum; under the magnificent flame standard marched almost 7 score men, with more hastily raised from the local population. Chief among them were the High Inquisitors Ermines, Guillom, and Tierris. Also present was Durendal, the prophet of the most high. The high inquisitors had of course brought their entourage of lesser priests. The mercenary Guiseppe del Migo had heard the call of his native land and was also present with his experienced infantry company.

Arrayed against them were a dozen score abominations, including 20 terrifying knights of the unholy sepulchre. They were led by Adonhel, voice of the crypt on earth, and Meknadin the archbishop of eldergate.
The ermorians arrayed themselves into 2 great blocks on either flank, leaving common undead from conquered territory in the middle of their line. To support those poor tortured souls, the most elite of the undead infantry was at their backs, ready to move in after the common undead wore down and terrified the defenders. Still further to the rear and far on the southern flank, the knights were ready to charge any gap in the lines of Marignon.

The marignon forces formed up behind the local reservists. In the north, the line was to be held by mercenary footsoldiers. In the south, directly opposite the knights, 5 great elephants were arrayed.

The battle commenced with the Ermorians wrapping themselves in unholy energies, protecting them from the holy fire of the true god. The hastily raised militia charged forward, before they had been cowed by the apparent might of ermor, but now armed by marignon and assured of the grim fate that awaited them if the legion of the damned prevailed they charged the ermorian line. The high inquisitors sent waves of undead back to hell with every prayer they recited, but it seemed to open no hole in the enemy lines. And then the battle was joined.

In the center the militia cut down undead with their great spears and halbreds. In the south the elephants met the knights, but were swiftly cut down and panicked. They then cut a swathe of destruction through marignon's line. The mercenaries and militia where meeting with success in the center however, backed by holy fire they thinned down the seemingly massive ermorian force to a shadow of its former self. In the south the enemy cavalry had almost completed its charge when a massive salvo of crossbow bolts ripped them from their undead mounts causing great confusion in their ranks and making them an easy target for the holy fire of the inquisition. And just like that it was over. Every effective ermorian force on the field was destroyed and their leaders scattered. Marignon had emerged victorious, exchanging the lives of 29 for the destruction of 240 of the fell legion.

So yeah, I won the first major confrontation of this war. I am not sure if ermor has enough in the tank to do it again, but we shall see.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

You... haven't played LA ermor much, have you?
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

name_here wrote:...

You... haven't played LA ermor much, have you?
That was his best chance to win the war. My defense only gets better from here. He cannot win, it is just a matter of how long and how costly the war is for me from here.

Though technically he still has army parity with me, those troops are mostly basic undead now. He lost all but about 100 of his good undead this battle. I lost almost nothing but a few crossbowmen and about 10 heavy infantry. Half of one turn's recruitment at my capital. I came out massively ahead on that battle.
K
King

Post by K »

Zinegata wrote:Human units in Dominion obviously can't have a lost head affliction without going into the dead pile, but some monsters can survive losing their head.

In the case of Hydras, I think they can even suffer this affliction multiple times.
Certain undead can lose their head, and hydras get the "lose some heads". There is also "lose some eyes" for many-eyed beasts.

The Easter eggs in this game never seem to end.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

K wrote:Gath is offering a NAP-3 with Ry'leh and Argartha. Please refuse or accept in this thread.
R'leyh agrees.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Turn in.
TheNotSoEvilNecromancer
Journeyman

Post by TheNotSoEvilNecromancer »

Zinegata wrote:Also, our apologies to the Agarthan diplomatic corps. There was an unfortunate misidenfication of your scout that wandered along the Patalan border. We are willing to pay restitutions.
Oh, um yes. There were many riots in Agartha, remember "what-his-name" and whatever. While we wouldn't want to make any demands for fear of being likewise held to them in similar such circumstances, if out of the goodness of your collective heart you feel obligated to reimburse us the 20 gold pieces (or equivalent gems) his training cost Agartha would welcome your generous gesture. :mrgreen:
jimbojones1971
Journeyman

Post by jimbojones1971 »

Akula wrote:The armies of marignon massed in Werk Enum; under the magnificent flame standard marched almost 7 score men ....
Excellent description, thanks for posting that :-)

Can we maybe also get Ermor's version of events?
jimbojones1971
Journeyman

Nature Gems Wanted

Post by jimbojones1971 »

Does anyone want to sell nature gems? Your friendly neighborhood giants in utgard are willing to swap 3 nature for 4 gems (in any combination) from the following types: air, water, earth, death.

PM me to negotiate the swap.

Alternatively, I am interested in buying any of the following items:
  • Enormous Cauldron of Broth
    Summer Sword
    Bag of Wine
If you can make them, and want to sell me one or more, PM me to discuss terms :-)
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

jimbojones1971 wrote:Can we maybe also get Ermor's version of events?
What can I say? He has a lot of strong priests and I can blunt Banishment, but not negate it.
jimbojones1971
Journeyman

Post by jimbojones1971 »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
jimbojones1971 wrote:Can we maybe also get Ermor's version of events?
What can I say? He has a lot of strong priests and I can blunt Banishment, but not negate it.
Yeah, I am playing MA Ermor in another game, and fear that I am about to get gutted like an (undead) fish by MA Marignon for much the same reasons. Hence my interest :-)
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

MA ermor has nice human infantry, so you are a little more resistant to the banish spam simply because you actually can do something immune to it.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Hmm, turn looks like it went just as planned. Will have to wait again tho, as usual.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

My next turn is in.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Maybe you should mix humans and undead in the same squad, so as to reduce the density of banish targets?
jimbojones1971
Journeyman

Post by jimbojones1971 »

Orion wrote:Maybe you should mix humans and undead in the same squad, so as to reduce the density of banish targets?
Interesting idea, definitely worth a shot.
K
King

Post by K »

jimbojones1971 wrote:
Orion wrote:Maybe you should mix humans and undead in the same squad, so as to reduce the density of banish targets?
Interesting idea, definitely worth a shot.
Surviving Banishment spam is a lot like surviving other evocation spam. You need to force targeting to other squads or resist outright.

So if you can get some high HP squads with high MR you can force the enemy to cast at them and leave the rest of your crap alone. Demons are pretty good for that. Heck, even Imps are good enough to keep enemy casters hitting the wrong side of the battlefield since they fly AND spread out nicely.

Of course, anyone who can Communion up Banishment is going to bone you hard because the AoE gets bigger the higher your level is. A Holy 1 Banishment is a pitifully small AoE that might not hit anyone, but a H5 or higher is going to hit a quarter of the battlefield or more.
K
King

Post by K »

For those keeping track at home, Ulm just lost 99% of the troops they sent after me and 50% of all their troops. We expect their summoned wolves will fair no better.

To our great Agarthan NAP pals, should Gath retake the Omur and Tenera? We have noted you left a scout in one and an attack force in the other and would not like to upset our pact with unnecessary deaths like the Scout you sent to our capital this turn.
Last edited by K on Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Heh, heh, ow. :) I'm not scared.
TheNotSoEvilNecromancer
Journeyman

Post by TheNotSoEvilNecromancer »

K wrote:To our great Agarthan NAP pals, should Gath retake the Omur and Tenera? We have noted you left a scout in one and an attack force in the other and would not like to upset our pact with unnecessary deaths like the Scout you sent to our capital this turn.
Oh, how could I resist missing the spectacular battle that occurred!? :tongue: Don't worry, Benim's fine as he, like all my scouts, are under strict orders to flee at the first sign of danger.

Tenera and Omur are yours for the taking as per our agreement, to imply otherwise would simply be dishonest. My troops are vacating as we speak and should not be an issue. Sorry for the delay, the drakes are slow moving and require frequent rest stops to function effectively.
jimbojones1971
Journeyman

Post by jimbojones1971 »

More Ermorian death cultists have appeared next to my capital :-(

Oh well, nothing a bit of fire and a few axes won't sort out ...
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

jimbojones1971 wrote:More Ermorian death cultists have appeared next to my capital :-(

That's a bad luck event for you, not a good luck event for Ermor. Just a head's up.

-Username17
jimbojones1971
Journeyman

Post by jimbojones1971 »

FrankTrollman wrote:
jimbojones1971 wrote:More Ermorian death cultists have appeared next to my capital :-(

That's a bad luck event for you, not a good luck event for Ermor. Just a head's up.

-Username17
OK, thanks. So I'm guessing the events vary by age, as this seems to fit the LA Ermor theming etc rather well?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Yeah, there are events that only happen in the late era or only happen in the early era or whatever. I honestly forget whether that particular event can happen in the mid-era.

-Username17
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Tried to submit turn. Looks like llama went kaput. Again.