[Dom3] Learning Game

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

K
King

Post by K »

Well, Oceania has declared war on the world by casting Arcane Nexus.

Shall we just call this game a win for them since no one else has been willing to take the fight to them? They may be half the size they were when I started fighting them, but digging them out of the ocean is getting really boring for me. Fighting in the ocean just sucks.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

If anybody wants Vanheim's surrender, then they will have to fight us. We have been busy the past couple of turns due to the Ermorian War.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Arcane Nexus is solely aimed at C'ties, meaning the gems will be used against the C'tiesian oppressors by the Oceanian resistance.

C'ties will overwrite the global anyway... Probably.
Last edited by Korwin on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K
King

Post by K »

Korwin wrote:Arcane Nexus is solely aimed at C'ties, meaning the gems will be used against the C'tiesian oppressors by the Oceanian resistance.

C'ties will overwrite the global anyway... Probably.
The Arcane Nexus is a win condition for the game because if it stays up for even two turns the player has enough gems to keep it up forever. that makes them a threat to everyone.

Clearly, since you are tossing Clam-wearing mages at me, you have enough Astral to put it back up because you don't even care enough to manage them any more. I don't have enough gems to take it down several times.

The game is over. The only question is whether people want to declare a winner now or in 20 turns when you've had 3-4K Astrals to spend.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

That incident was an mistake. Clams got evacuated.
Nothing to see here...

Edit: But if I where declared winner, I would not protest it...
Last edited by Korwin on Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

Eriu will be dissolving its NAP with C'Tis and Oceania.

I can understand the reluctance to continue digging out a water power. It's a pain in the arse. Not difficult, per se, just tedious.

However, Eriu intervening on one side or the other against C'Tis or Oceania would simply be throwing the game, as both nations are more powerful than Eriu. Whoever we allied with would eventually turn on us (entertaining the conceit we could effect the outcome of a war).

As for calling the game, the victory conditions established at the start of play were to control a majority of capital sites. Vanheim is currently the leader by that metric.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Yeah, weird, Vanheim is technically in the lead. :p

BTW, Arcane Nexus doesn't work with Astral and Blood spells right?

I ask because we're perfectly willing to continue fighting even under such an oppressive umbrella (and we'll poke away at it) - we've been fighting under a shoestring budget for pretty much the entire game and I see not much reason to change old habits :).
Last edited by Zinegata on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Oh, forgot to mention: We're cancelling our NAPs with C'Tis and Oceana. It is currently Turn 71.

Come and get us so we can finish this :).
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

I had an strange deja vü this turn. Anyone else, or did I do the same turn twice?
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I think people are slowly going insane over the lack of action.

Come attack me! C'Tis and Oceana can start issuing attack orders on me starting Turn 74!

Give us a chance to prove that we are worthy to ascend to Valhalla! Give us an opportunity to have a glorious death!
Last edited by Zinegata on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Okay. I think it's safe to say we're gonna start hunkering in our forts to await the end now. We know when we're conquered.

Mein Gott, you guys have been building up that much firepower?!
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

My tarts Factory is pretty pathetic. I guess I should get off my ass and do something with my > 1000 astral gems?
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

You call that a pathetic Tart factory?
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Ah no,
my Tart Factory is pathetic.
my Astral Gem production is NOT pathetic.

Sorry for the misunderstanding :D
K
King

Post by K »

I went AI.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I think we're willing to admit that we are conquered. Maybe just one last big bash at Vanheim so we can at least waste all of the nice things we've summoned?
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Vanheim is willing to issue its unconditional surrender to Oceana.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

I thought you wanted an big fight for Vanheim? Last stand of the damned or somesuch?
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Yeah, but I missed the last turn and it's too much of a chore to fix the mess the AI made.

If you want I can put up one huge pile of units outside my capital (107) for you to whack.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

I'm over it.

I could probably do some damage, but I lost too many of my underwater commanders and items via repeated armageddons. Mute seems to be a common affliction for some reason.

It will take me at least 6 turns to get what I think I need for a respectable raiding force. Plus I am sharing a lot of borders with an aggro AI C'Tis. Even if Eriu encountered no surprises, they would be hard pressed to crack open underwater forts as the aggressor.

I concede. Congratulations Korwin.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Thanks. Too be honest I'm not really bothering to defend that one castle.
Its not an victory point, so pretty useless at this time.

Should i post the turn file? Anyone interested?
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Sure.

BTW, was it C'Tis, Oceana, or Ermor than fired off those Armageddons? Those killed our ability to fight too.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Pretty shure Ermor.
It wasnt me and I think it hurt Cties more than me (I had/have Gift of Health).
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

It was me. I also tried for an utterdark, but failed.

I was sitting on cash too, and was eventually going to wish for provinces, then fortify them enough to keep them from being retaken quickly. I figured I could get half to two thirds of the map fairly suddenly like that.

Once I was going down anyway, I tried to drag my attackers with me.

Incidentally, the seeking arrow didn't have much effect, but did trigger the armor of virtue ability, which left that sieging force leaderless. That's why those artifacts were not available for reforging. Didn't really think that one through.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

I was surprised by the lack of effect that seeking arrow had. I had assumed that a pretender like the Demilich would have been quite vulnerable in hostile dominion.

Maybe it was a quirk of Returning and Immortality combined. Or it could be because seeking arrow is AP rather than AN and only triggered the Returning. It certainly caught me off guard.