Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

No. That particular class constitutes Russell's paradox, and is contradictory, and was in fact one of the motivating elements for a more formal notion of "set" that could eliminate such things.

It might not even be an axiom of foundation issue, it might just be that because for all relations R the statement "There exists an X such that for all Y : R(X,Y) iff Not-R(Y, Y)" is a contradiction. And there's nowhere in ZFC that would imply the existence of such a set. If you had something like a set of all sets you could specify your way down to it, but you don't have a set of all sets (and that definitely IS due to the axiom of foundation).
-JM
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

(repost)
Fucking google drive, man
Won't sign in at all in the program. Just a blank window. I don't have 2-step verification set up, so that shouldn't be doing it. And when I sign in via browser I can't seem to upload files either. I uninstalled it and tried again; same deal, blank fucking window. What the hell, man?
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

why do people get the feeling of:"i wanna jump down there, right now!" when they stand at an edge and look down? <.<
i mean, it strikes me as kinda adverse to the survival instincts and stuff x.x
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I might be weird but I really don't get that feeling.

Do I like the whole idea of bungee jumping, para jumping or whatever else? Yes and I probably would think of what that might feel like at some very high cliffs or something. But, in general, I don't really climb a mountain, look down and think I should jump.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
erik
King

Post by erik »

I don't get that impulse either. Other than going down stairs. I like jumping down a flight of stairs, and it was a sad day when I realized my ankles and knees are no longer teenaged or even college aged, and I can't do it all the time now.

Nowadays I might wistfully look at a tree and want to climb. But not jump down.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

Somewhere (it might have been an Ig Nobel Prize) I read a claim that the feeling of wanting to do something that you obviously would not enjoy doing exists to keep you thinking about it so you don't do it on accident.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, no urge to leap to my death here. Some flights of stairs, when it's "ten or so stairs, then a square platform, then a right-angle turn and another set of stairs" I'll just jump from platform to platform like I were a fat plumber or a blue hedgehog, but that's about the extent of it. And there's still the desire to slide down the balustrade of course.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

It's common enough that the French have a phrase for it "L’appel du vide" or "The Call of the Void"
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I have never felt the urge to attempt clearly lethal jumps before, but I regularly feel the urge to attempt jumps that are much more dangerous than is sensible to attempt. For example, just today I was on a balcony, wanted to get down a floor in a hurry, and my first impulse was to jump ~20 feet to the ground. Naturally my common sense won out and I spent the extra forty seconds to take the stairs, but this kind of thing happens to me a lot.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

It's a known issue in me that I tend to fall asleep during movies, specifically movies in dark rooms, such as theatres. I went to see Riddick today and noticed that my eyelids closing tended to coincide with light flashes, such as blasters, quickly moving lightsticks, etc.

Now, it's entirely possible, even plausible, that I just have really shitty sleep habits, and fall asleep in dark rooms because I'm usually running slightly sleep deprived. But is something like "strobe induced narcolepsy" a thing? Is it possible that bright flashes in movies are at least a contributing factor?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

it's also possible that you just have sensible eyes and sudden flashes of light in a dark room cause them to close because it's too much all of a sudden?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

What Stahlseele said. Your pupils dilate in the dark so that you can continue to see in low-light conditions. When lights flash in the dark (for whatever reason), your pupils can't react quickly enough to shrink and thus not be overwhelmed by the brightness... Kind of like turning on a light while wearing night-vision goggles. Because it's so bloody bright, you close your eyes.

Now, if you find yourself tending to keep your eyes shut once they've closed, I'd say you have a problem. And if you know that you just don't get enough sleep, then that seems to be a good starting place to look for a solution.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

What sort of gaming laptop would you get if you weren't paying for it?
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Orion wrote:What sort of gaming laptop would you get if you weren't paying for it?
Is "get a desktop and a tablet instead" an option?
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Sort of. I don't actually have anywhere to put a desktop at the moment. But I could get the tablet now and do without a gaming rig until I move.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

do you have a big newish TV?
get a good gaming rig, fuck a screen, get a long HDMI cable, have fun using wireless mouse and keyboard.
for working this is sub optimal though, because the writing is tiny <.<

if going for a laptop, it really depends on how mobile you are.
do you have a car? then get an 18.6" monstrosity that weights in at 5 kilos.
if you do not have a car? need to think smaller and lighter then.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Orion wrote:What sort of gaming laptop would you get if you weren't paying for it?
If you're not paying for it, Dell Alienware is pretty damn good. They're specifically designed to be gaming machines, they're quite powerful, but you have to pay a bit of extra money (for the components and for the flashy "making it look cool" factor). You don't need anything like that, but if money is not an issue, you may as well.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

I was reading some science fiction, and this came up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault

Are there any other equivalent seed vaults on earth? I'm looking for something resilient enough to withstand major natural disasters or war fallout.

Could somebody get away with submitting unidentified seed species to the Svalbard vault specifically? Say, a corporation wanting to back-up a new genetically engineered species?
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

There are a fair few. The idea is that there are enough seed vaults that even if one is destroyed, the rest make up for it. Wikipedia says
There are about 6 million accessions, or samples of a particular population, stored as seeds in about 1,300 genebanks throughout the world as of 2006.
IME biologists are pretty conservative about what they accept to facilities like these. You'd be hard pressed to get them to accept an unknown specimen, but you'd probably be able to get away with mislabelling something. You'd be better off making it an inside job. TBH, why would you bother, when it would be easier and safer to hire a bunch of climate controlled rooms throughout the world (even through dummy corps if you require anonymity) and leave your "backups" there.

In a future of genetic modification, it makes even less sense as what you really want to back up is the data of the modifications made, which can then be redone on the original plant.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Where would the best place be for the soul to be found in a body?

I'm not asking from a religious perspective of actually believing in souls, I'm saying "if someone were writing some fiction and souls actually existed as actual physical things you could poke or eat, what part of the body would you need to cut open?"

Obvious choices seem to be the heart and brain, but has there been some religion or off-shoot or pseudoscientific study that posited it was in the pancreas or something? Do any of the doctors, biologists, chemists etc. here have an idea that "logically, x part of the human body seems to produce the kinds of chemicals that lead to people making conscience-based decisions, therefore that should be it" or "X is not needed in the human body, it no longer does anything, so put it in that"?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Eyes are the best idea ever. Everything about it is amazing. There are tons of little spiritual/semi-spiritual sayings you can twist into setting elements ("eyes are the window to the soul," "if your eye offends you, pluck it out," "see no evil do no evil"). Plus, you get to add sfx to interesting people's/creature's eyeballs. A paladin's eyes burn with actual fiery justice. Necromancers have gaunt, sunken eyes and age terribly because their eyes leak negative energy into their face, and if you aren't sleeping well people start assuming you are up to no good or being possessed or something. Angel eyes are like high beams, and their head looks like a ball of light wearing a mask with eye holes. Demon eyes smoke and smolder or something generic. Mindless undead/liches/things that don't have a soul or keep their soul elsewhere... something something I don't know.

Trafficking in souls actually means trafficking in eyeballs. You don't use soulgems to hold souls, you use magically prepared eyeballs. When you make a deal with the devil, he wants what you've got in your eye sockets (or at least your eyesight). Big purchases in hell involve santa sacks full of squishy very much alive eyeballs.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

soulless eyes are usually depicted/described as kinda colourless and empty and glassy.

hmm, wonder what this says about Odin, the Cyclops, Beholders?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

While eyes are somewhat traditional, I once toyed with the eyes of souls as a hive society set up in stem cells since that's pretty much where the growth of the human body happens.

Of course, this also brings up the idea that humans are not unique in that all (most?) multicellular organisms have stem cells. So, in essence, Dogs might be able to go to heaven.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Eyes contain part of your brain, so it could technically be the brain that houses the soul, but eyes are the literal window to your brain. Soul trafficking could still be done with eyes since they are great containers for soul residue or just because eyes are altered by the soul's presence and produce more delicious soul juice than straight up brain soul.