The Shadowrun Situation

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Wesley Street
Knight

Post by Wesley Street »

Don't be a hater. Abram's Lobsters are awesome.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

that are the ones that cut open ships to get at the fish in them right? O.o
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
UmaroVI
Journeyman

Post by UmaroVI »

I recently ran an adventure (converted DNA/DOA from 1e) where the PCs broke into a gene-lab and fought berserk paracritters. Many of the adversaries were determined by trying to find the dumbest fucking monsters we could. There are some REALLY dumb paracritters.

Abram's Lobsters are awesome, the adventure started at a fancy restaurant, where one of the PCs stated they were ordering "the most expensive thing on the menu." I decided to go with the lobster... namely, the Abram's Lobster. It was pretty funny.

My favorite stupid monster is the hoopsnake. It's a snake that holds onto its own tail and rolls at you like a hula hoop. WHAT THE FUCK.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

*snickers* at least they make for fun scenes ^^
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Blasted wrote:Given CGL has explicitly stated that it's trying to become a FFG style company, this isn't surprising. The pricing and expansion model for Leviathans looks suspiciously exactly the same as Dust: Tactics.
Except Dust: Tactics has some low priced additions, which Leviathans misses out on ATM.
Heh. Heh heh. That's funny.

And to answer Windjammer, no, I don't buy Shadowrun books any more. I actually stopped a long, long time ago, back before all the drama.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Vice and the SR4A collector's edition were the last books I bought.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i actually keep buying the GERMAN books . . because those are usually worth it . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Windjammer
Master

Post by Windjammer »

Speaking of German SR, just found that the full translation for Shadows of North America is available for free:

http://www.helden.de/rpgbanner/pages/SHADOWRUN/
Otakusensei
Master

Post by Otakusensei »

I ordered SR4A:LE back when I was still a fan. By the time they shipped it opening the box made me feel kind of sick. It even has a damaged corner from the slapdash job Randall's wife did. Shipping box was fine.

Now the damn thing just sits on my shelf in what was left of the plastic. I haven't even bothered to open it yet. Feels too much like betrayal and broken dreams.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Otakusensei wrote:I ordered SR4A:LE back when I was still a fan. By the time they shipped it opening the box made me feel kind of sick. It even has a damaged corner from the slapdash job Randall's wife did. Shipping box was fine.

Now the damn thing just sits on my shelf in what was left of the plastic. I haven't even bothered to open it yet. Feels too much like betrayal and broken dreams.
Oh yeah that's right I bought the LE as well. One of the cheesiest LE's I've ever purchased.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

UmaroVI wrote:My favorite stupid monster is the hoopsnake. It's a snake that holds onto its own tail and rolls at you like a hula hoop. WHAT THE FUCK.
The guy who described the structure of benzine (Kekulé) was inspired by a dream about snakes doing just that.

Also, it's apparently been a thing since the 18th century.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoop_snake
Last edited by fectin on Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otakusensei
Master

Post by Otakusensei »

fectin wrote:
UmaroVI wrote:My favorite stupid monster is the hoopsnake. It's a snake that holds onto its own tail and rolls at you like a hula hoop. WHAT THE FUCK.
The guy who described the structure of benzine (Kekulé) was inspired by a dream about snakes doing just that.

Also, it's apparently been a thing since the 18th century.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoop_snake
Hello Kitty is a thing too, but that doesn't make it a good paracritter.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I was just answering the WTF? part of his post. No good game design was implied.
UmaroVI
Journeyman

Post by UmaroVI »

Huh, that is actually interesting to know. Thanks. I stand by it being fucking retarded of course.
Otakusensei
Master

Post by Otakusensei »

No accusation, part of me just wanted to put it out there into the world for when CGL runs out of ideas. When they publish an optional supplement of critters based off internet memes I wanna say I called it.
Last edited by Otakusensei on Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Well, they did insert Lolcats . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

UmaroVI
Journeyman

Post by UmaroVI »

Maybe they could make an Emerged bear with Control Emotions (gnomes only). That would be right up the ally of the stupid shit that's already out there. I mean, fuck, they published an Echo that lets technomancers catch Pokemon. I mean feral AIs.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

And technomancer animals.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Fuchs wrote:And technomancer animals.
First example being netcats netcat who speaks lol . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Is that a piece of fluff in Unwired?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yep.
Or in the Critter Book.
Wherever they detailed Emergent Critters . .
I read it and could not believe it either . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

I know why I most often skip the fluff stuff.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

The SR4A LE was the last book I bought...and I had to pay for the damned thing...but I had managed to get two half-decent short stories in there and by Ghost I wanted my copy. The last books I received as comp copies were, I think, Vice...or maybe Running Wild. I forget, it's all in boxes now.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Why did they not give you comps of 4A?
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Because they are cheapskates?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote: