Proposed Game: Desire and the Dead (Tome)

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Quantumboost wrote:
Avoraciopoctules wrote:The character looks great, but I'd like you to expand the character sheet a bit. Having your skill modifiers easier to look up would be nice.
Okay, I've expanded the skills I have which aren't raw ability checks. And removed the ones that were left over from the sheet I borrowed formatting from. Whoops.

Any other modifications you'd like?
Can't think of anything offhand. Feel free to make an appearance, or alternatively be handwaved in as someone else who approached the Voices and was brought into the group during the timeskip.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:Sure

-----

It's a martial weapon, not an exotic one, so I'd be willing to give it some kind of bonus. With a move action, you can make it deal Fire instead of Slashing damage.
Well, I meant the literal Firey trait described in Book of Gears. A minor enchantment that sets people on fire.

Lemme look it up.
Flame - A flaming weapon sets things it touches on fire. A victim who fails a Reflex Save is on fire and will suffer a d6 of fire damage every round until they extinquish themselves.
Frank on the Fighter (Abridged)
FrankTrollman wrote:
God_of_Awesome wrote: Could I inquire on the motive behind the design decisions on the Fighter class?

The Fighter is intended to be, like the Wizard, a character who can and does adapt their tactics to the opposition and draws upon player experience to deliver tactical victories. And to do it without "feeling" like it was using Magic.

So honestly, when someone tells me "I know the game backwards and forwards, and when I pull out all the stops with the Fighter I totally win!" And my response is "OK, good." Because that's exactly what people report with the Wizard too.

-Username17
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Perhaps later in the game.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Wait, actually, Akula just reminded me that Samurai get their Ancestral Weapon for free. Yes. You may have the Flame property, but it means that your axe does take up a magic item slot.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

You and your Touhoes Av. I'd go Soulborn. Soulborn == anime protagonist class pretty much anyway.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Fine by me.

I seriously only have two magic items. Three if you count the scary armor.

And four if you let me have a masterwork katana and that counts.
FrankTrollman wrote:
God_of_Awesome wrote: Could I inquire on the motive behind the design decisions on the Fighter class?

The Fighter is intended to be, like the Wizard, a character who can and does adapt their tactics to the opposition and draws upon player experience to deliver tactical victories. And to do it without "feeling" like it was using Magic.

So honestly, when someone tells me "I know the game backwards and forwards, and when I pull out all the stops with the Fighter I totally win!" And my response is "OK, good." Because that's exactly what people report with the Wizard too.

-Username17
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

God_of_Awesome wrote:Fine by me.

I seriously only have two magic items. Three if you count the scary armor.

And four if you let me have a masterwork katana and that counts.
The armor doesn't count unless you make it Magic. A masterwork katana doesn't take up a magic item slot. It's just gear, and that falls under the "be reasonable" clause, not any specific restrictions.

So:

Ancestral Weapon + Flame property
Gloves / Gauntlets of CLW

I'd suggest something basic like a Resistance bonus to saves or other generally useful Minor item.

You can have an evil artifact sword if you want, but its powers will be undefined and possibly restricted to giving bad advice. Since it won't really improve any aspect of your character due to being the sort of thing he wouldn't actually use, it won't take up a slot. If you pass it off to somebody else, they will probably have to do some kind of sidequest to make it do something genuinely awesome.
Mask_De_H wrote:You and your Touhoes Av. I'd go Soulborn. Soulborn == anime protagonist class pretty much anyway.
That is indeed a possibility. Or I could go Fire Mage / Spherelock for moar eye lasers. Take my Versatile Eldritch Blast feat and spam energy bullets at the opposition.

The guy on the left could be an undead Monk of some kind, the guy on the right could be yet another Samurai, and the guy in the middle, well, uh. I don't know. Professional troll? Crossdressing, war fan-wielding Barbarian? It is a mystery to me.

Oh, when you've got the time, please stick a copy of your character sheet in this thread: http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=50789
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:Oh, when you've got the time, please stick a copy of your character sheet in this thread: http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=50789
Done.

Edit:
Avoraciopoctules wrote:and the guy in the middle, well, uh. I don't know. Professional troll? Crossdressing, war fan-wielding Barbarian? It is a mystery to me.
Given that the heart thingy looks a lot like Luvdisc, my jink's on this.
Last edited by Quantumboost on Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

There's probably too many people playing for one more at this point, but if later on there's room for some reason I'd be interested in joining.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Quantumboost wrote:
Avoraciopoctules wrote:and the guy in the middle, well, uh. I don't know. Professional troll? Crossdressing, war fan-wielding Barbarian? It is a mystery to me.
Given that the heart thingy looks a lot like Luvdisc, my jink's on this.
Tempting. Seriously tempting. I actually have a monster list for the next chance I get to play a Pokemaster-type PC in a Tome game.
Jilocasin wrote:There's probably too many people playing for one more at this point, but if later on there's room for some reason I'd be interested in joining.
Alright. If it looks like we have few enough active players for more people to jump in later on, you can certainly make a PC or take over an abandoned one. And if the group splits into 2 parties semipermanently, we might be able to expand the player number. Still not sure at this point.
Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

Alright, well I'll make up a PC just in case. It'll give me an excuse to draw a portrait of 'em at the very least.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

What if I gave the the armor fire or death resistance?

Fire: Absorb a number of fire damage equal to 10+Character Level.

Death: A bonus on saves against death effect equal to Character Level. (I figured resistance to death effect is more powerful so I figured a smaller bonus)

I couldn't find any mention of straight up protection-y enchantments in Book of Gears except for Spell Resistance for armor which surprised me.
Last edited by God_of_Awesome on Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Why not just have +1 armor like everyone else? Seeing as a minor item gives energy resistance of Character Level*2 as its only benefit, armor that is better than that and also magical is out of line.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

My mistake. I'll just go with that then.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

I submit this list of 8 magic items for your approval:

Gauntlets of Healing

Greataxe of Flaming Terror (Ancestral Weapon, Takes up two slots)

Talking Katana of Berserking (EVIL)

Enchanted Armor (Above samurai armor)

Tyrant's Crown (All Around Vision Helm)

Mask of Darkvision (Add 60' to Darkvision)

Boots of Silence
Last edited by God_of_Awesome on Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

God_of_Awesome wrote:I submit this list of 8 magic items for your approval:

Gauntlets of Healing

Greataxe of Flaming Terror (Ancestral Weapon, Takes up two slots)

Talking Katana of Berserking (EVIL)

Enchanted Armor (Above samurai armor)

Tyrant's Crown (All Around Vision Helm)

Mask of Darkvision (Add 60' to Darkvision)

Boots of Silence
Three magic items. 3=/=8. The ancestral weapon takes no slots as long as it has no additional properties. If it has a property it will take one slot. It can only have one property, not two. Why the fuck do you keep proposing to have rediculous amounts of gear? What confuses you about, "You may have three minor magical items from the Book of Gears and a reasonable amount of mundane equipment?" Do you really think that everyone else in the party is so optimized that the only way you can compete is to have more items than any two other PCs?

EDIT: You also need to define what that frightful presence actually does. Because it isn't clear from your entry. You should also realize that frightful presence is a bit much compared to even powerful armor's level 1 benefits. But it needs, specifically, a condition that triggers the ability, the area of the ability, how the save DC is calculated (because I suspect that it isn't based on racial HD), duration of the fear effect, and severity of the fear effect. I'm also still not sure what armor bonus your armor provides and what the ACP and ASP are.
Last edited by Akula on Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

My apologies. I had made this list reading Book of Gears.

Knowing I need only think of 3 items is, in fact, a relief.

I will edit appropiatley:

Gauntlets of Healing

Greataxe of Flaming (Ancestral Weapon)

Talking Katana of Terror

Edit: Also adressing armor.
Last edited by God_of_Awesome on Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Okay, you can still have armor you know, it just has to be non-magical. So you might want to consider the questions about your proposed armor.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Here is what I used:

Scary Looking Samurai Armor: Baldraxe robbed an evil shogun's corpse for this and he's awfully proud of it.
For mechanical purposes, it's Scale Mail. Really, it's more like Leather Plate armor.
Benefits: Intimidate
4: You gain a frightful presence. The save DC uses Character Levels as opposed to racial HD. Creatures that fail the save become shakened. Creatures that fail it by more than 10 become frightened. Creatures that fail it by more than 20 become panicked. The condition last Xd6 rounds, X being 1/2 your Character Level rounded down.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Still needs range and trigger conditions specified. Have you read the SRD frightful presence entry?
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

For range, is everything that has you in its line of sight count? For trigger, I read the frightful presence entry and came to the impression that it was activated by any 'dramatic action'.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

I'm suggesting that that is too powerful, and you should tone down the first level ability of the armor so that it is not better than a dragon of a similar CR's ability.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Alright, save DC same.

Keep the duration?

Range is Xx10', X being 1/2 your character level rounded up, limited by line of sight. Triggered by bullrushing.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

GoA, stop being retarded and pick some items that you WON'T give a shit about if they get sundered. Minor magic items are simple +X shit. Don't be a fucktard.

PS: Your Buster feat is also shit. At least the fucking disarm rider, the trip is okish. Clear that fucking wording up.
Last edited by ubernoob on Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Also, I think that resistance gear is Character level = resistance.

So, Fire Resistance 3, at level 3.

Most people won't need that kind of gear until level 6-7 anyway, when Planeshift comes online; at which point, the 1d6 Fire damage from the Elemental Plane of Fire is something you don't care about. It's just terrain that blocks your line of sight, not terrain that wtfpwns you.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.