Dominions 4 Teasers

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Yeah, from the looks of it you definitely need to hand it some real armor before sending it up against a mid-game enemy or any faction with native magic weapon access, like EA Atlantis or a Bless nation. Once you do that it should be pretty sturdy, thanks to native Awe. I mean, unlike your usual start-of-game SC pretender chassis, the Virtue actually has the ability to wear magic stuff.
Last edited by name_here on Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Quicken Self makes a huge difference when it means twice as much ice breath per round. A properly buffed blue dragon is scary. What's even better is that this trick should work nearly as well with a regular dragon SC.

Fire Shield might be nice on a red dragon too, but I like the sheer number of attacks my current god is throwing out.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:
Korwin wrote:I like Virtue as Disciple too.
Yeah, it's got great thugging paths and full item slots, so it starts as a nice SC and continues to get better as the game progresses. Magic weapons will mess it up, though. They cut through both Invulnerability and Mistform, I think.
The good part is, Ur can take the Virtue as an Disciple :mrgreen:
K
King

Post by K »

Two things:

-Blood Feast only seems to only heal three afflictions, or it requires a second use for Never-healing Wounds. One or the other.

-Disciples use the Pretender nation's dom, even the special effects. This means that you can have your Pretender be Ashen Empire and then have Bandar Log get masses of undead freespawn and popkill dominion.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Does that mean that if Rlyeh is the leader, that all the land disciples get bonus freespawn for having "moved" to the land? That's probably the winner, if so. Your main god can hide under water and your disciple factions get a bunch of hybrid freespawn on the coasts to go with their awake SC dragons.

-Username17
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

FrankTrollman wrote:Does that mean that if Rlyeh is the leader, that all the land disciples get bonus freespawn for having "moved" to the land? That's probably the winner, if so. Your main god can hide under water and your disciple factions get a bunch of hybrid freespawn on the coasts to go with their awake SC dragons.

-Username17
MA R'leyh? Testet it. Disciples of R'leyh dont get freespawn.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I don't think MA R'leyh has dominion freespawn, so that's hardly unexpected.

Ashen Empire and Lemuria are screwed in disciple games, then. They're dependent on their dominion effects for their armies, and if they are the pretender then their allies will be badly hampered in creating mages. LA R'leyh and the swamp version of C'tis (is that just MA or is it also EA?) will make alright disciples, just out some special bonuses. Heck, C'tis will balance out losing their edge with safely recruiting indie mages. But as pretenders, they'll either drive their allied troops insane or disease them all, so probably not a good idea.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

As I understand it, Ashen Fields is awesome in a Disciples game. You are required by law to have only disciples who have cheap undead leaders and cheap researchers, but since such nations do exist, you're golden. But Machaka, Ashpodel, Jotunheim, and Shinuyama all fit the bill. Basically you're playing three simultaneous positions of Ashen Fields, but one of them can make leaders for gems and the others can make leaders for gold. You'll need to trade resources a lot.

-Username17
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

I recently had a game where I encountered the Steel Oven. It works the same as it did in Dom3, reducing gem costs on forging (and construction rituals) by 20%. Forge bonuses apply after the reduction (so an item that costs 15 earth gems will cost a baseline of 12, which is reduced to 10 with a Dwarven Hammer).

I was playing as LA Man at the time, so I don't know how many gems a unit with a Forge Bonus of 4 (Master Smith or Forge Lord w/Dwarven Hammer) pays for a 5-gem item at a Steel Oven. Is it 0 (5 -20% = 4 - 4 = 0) or is there a minimum cost of 1 gem, regardless?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

in dominions 3, percentile cost reduction could actually get to over 100% by various means. Nevertheless, the minimum cost for forging a magic item was 1 per path cost. So even as a Nataraja with both artifact hammers sitting on the steel ovens with Forge of the Ancients running, you still paid 1 gem for a pendant of luck and 3 gems for a cloak of the sea.

-Username17
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I don't know how to feel about the *other* forge bonus; the one where you get +X to all the paths you have at least 1 in for the purposes of forging.
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:I don't know how to feel about the *other* forge bonus; the one where you get +X to all the paths you have at least 1 in for the purposes of forging.
Doesn't that only exist on the Forge Lord? Even the other forge discount pretenders don't get that. It seems fine to me; the Forge Lord is kind of a lame duck since forge discounts got neutered. However, you might be able to save on design points by giving the Forge Lord F3, A3, S4 or whatever else, when all you really want is a caster who can forge those crucial path boosters that are out of reach of your national mages.
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

So there's an item called the Bronze Arm, or something to that effect, which is available at Construction-6 and requires E3F1 to forge (15 earth gems, 5 fire). It's a cursed item that takes up a misc. slot and gives you an extra hand slot; in effect you're paying 20 gems to permanently convert a misc. to a hand slot. That's interesting, but conventional wisdom is that misc. slots are as important, if not more so, than hand slots, especially if what you're dealing with has two to begin with. Of course, the comedic value of giving your monolith a single beefy arm like Trogdor should not be understated, so this item already justifies it's existence that way.

That said, is shield-stacking effective in Dom4? If you had something important that had 3 or 4 hands, it could hold 1 weapon and then 2 or 3 shields. Actually, is giving something like a Nataraja 1-2 weapons and 2-3 shields a viable idea in the early-mid game? If the chance of parrying stacks, wouldn't 3 good shields be just about as effective, if not more, at providing protection as wearing heavy armor? Just a thought...
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Conventional wisdom is that the most important thing on a shield is an effect rather than straight up parry chance. But still, stacking Vine shield + Gleaming Gold + Frost Brand seems decent. Swapping a misc slot for a hand slot lets you alter the effect loadout if you really need to. Not a default but something to remember for that time you really need Awe on a Thug and both your hands are full.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
K
King

Post by K »

It's very hard to argue that your Misc. slots should not have a Dancing shield and that affliction prevention item. That being said, rocking a two-handed weapon and a shield is pretty solid.
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

Is the Imp Familiar worth it? The Imp Familiar is a construction-0 or construction-2 (I forget which exactly), B1 cursed misc. item that gives +3 research, risks horror-marking the commander, and summons a single imp at the start of combat. The point behind it is as a research booster, and I'm wondering if it does or doesn't bear massing.

You can think of it as a half-strength owl quill (the horror-marking and imp summon are fringe concerns), but it costs you comparatively cheap blood slaves instead of the more valuable air gems. Is it worth handing out pet demons to your EA/LA Mictlan Priest lab-jockeys? It'd sure boost your research (it pays for itself mage-turn-wise after 3 turns, everything after that is pure profit) but it would cut in to the stockpile of blood slaves you're accumulating.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Shatner on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K
King

Post by K »

Shatner wrote:Is the Imp Familiar worth it? The Imp Familiar is a construction-0 or construction-2 (I forget which exactly), B1 cursed misc. item that gives +3 research, risks horror-marking the commander, and summons a single imp at the start of combat. The point behind it is as a research booster, and I'm wondering if it does or doesn't bear massing.

You can think of it as a half-strength owl quill (the horror-marking and imp summon are fringe concerns), but it costs you comparatively cheap blood slaves instead of the more valuable air gems. Is it worth handing out pet demons to your EA/LA Mictlan Priest lab-jockeys? It'd sure boost your research (it pays for itself mage-turn-wise after 3 turns, everything after that is pure profit) but it would cut in to the stockpile of blood slaves you're accumulating.

Thoughts?
I guess it all comes down to how quickly it kills you and how much trouble you are having with blood hunting.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

The horror marking looks pretty insignificant. How quickly it pays for itself depends on your magic scale, of course. And it might be easier to think of the blood slaves in terms of the opportunity cost in research time? If it takes 2 or 3 turns of blood hunting, and if you're running a magic scale, it could seriously be half a year before you are ahead on research, setting aside the cost in gold and other blood options.
K
King

Post by K »

Orion wrote:The horror marking looks pretty insignificant. How quickly it pays for itself depends on your magic scale, of course. And it might be easier to think of the blood slaves in terms of the opportunity cost in research time? If it takes 2 or 3 turns of blood hunting, and if you're running a magic scale, it could seriously be half a year before you are ahead on research, setting aside the cost in gold and other blood options.
The new Horrors are also no bullshit. You are seriously trading off some research now for a dead mage later.

You need to take that into account losing slaves and mage turns now for some research profit later and research loss much later.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Someone did the calculation for Lightless Lanterns; average lifetime was something like 50 turns. For an item you will slap on your cheapest and worst mage, it's barely worth considering.

I'd say its value is proportional to how much non-blood magic you want to use, since all blood magic is on a single path and thus requires less research as well as needing slaves.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

The spell description for Returning suggests that it comes with risks now, so escaping horrors is no longer trivial for astral mages.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Fleur Bleu wrote: So I tested archers against the blood9 bless.
I had about a hundred jags guarding a commander and a couple of hundred archers with flaming arrows shooting them.
All casualties are from blood vengeance.
This is with mr9 bakemono.
And mr 10 bandits.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

So did battlefield evocations just lose some power? Ramping up a communion to drop large Falling Fires seems pretty dangerous now that hitting any Blood Blessed sacreds will kill all your best mages.
Simplified Tome Armor.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
K
King

Post by K »

Red_Rob wrote:So did battlefield evocations just lose some power? Ramping up a communion to drop large Falling Fires seems pretty dangerous now that hitting any Blood Blessed sacreds will kill all your best mages.
The difference between a MR 9 Bakemono and a MR 18 mage is pretty considerable. That gap geta even bigger when you consider that mages will have every reason to put on a few MR items when they are fighting a Blood9 Bless.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Is the reflected damage considered the same as the damage dealt? So could a mage dropping Falling Fires grab a Ring of Fire Restistance to mitigate any blowback?
Simplified Tome Armor.