D&D 5e has failed

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Night Goat
Journeyman

Post by Night Goat »

Grek wrote:"Bundle Of Sticks"-ery Realms and "Negro" King respectively. It's a transphobic slur and that's just as fucking bad as a racial or homophobic one.
There's no such thing as a bad word, it all depends on the context. I don't think anyone here is using "tranny" in a hateful way, so if anyone's offended by it they need to grow a thicker skin.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Night Goat wrote:
Grek wrote:"Bundle Of Sticks"-ery Realms and "Negro" King respectively. It's a transphobic slur and that's just as fucking bad as a racial or homophobic one.
There's no such thing as a bad word, it all depends on the context. I don't think anyone here is using "tranny" in a hateful way, so if anyone's offended by it they need to grow a thicker skin.
You are a fucking idiot. Tranny of the Dragons is being used explicitly to say "you can tell this module sucks because it involves trannies, because trannies suck." That is absolutely a hateful way to use the word.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Kaelik wrote:
Night Goat wrote:
You are a fucking idiot. Tranny of the Dragons is being used explicitly to say "you can tell this module sucks because it involves trannies, because trannies suck." That is absolutely a hateful way to use the word.
Whoa. Tranny of the Dragons comes from a typo in this post. While I agree that observers without the needed background are going to read that and think it is derogatory and as such it would be prudent to abandon it (and that Night Goat is completely missing the point), no one here is actually using it in that derogatory capacity. It's just an in-joke about a typo someone made.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
erik
King

Post by erik »

DSMatticus wrote:Tranny of the Dragonsis is just a typo that stuck because it was hilarious, and I stand by that typo being hilarious. But I do agree that absent context people who read that might think it is intended as derogatory, and as much as it pains me I am amenable to calls to abandon it.
This is pretty much where I am at. It initially seemed harmless but eventually I wondered if it was the best form of derision that we could be applying.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

"Tranny" is a "hilarious" typo because "lol, sexism and transphobia." Seriously, we can fucking do better.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Really, having Tyranny in the name of an adventure that sounds like endless DM-cock worship should be too easy.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Prak wrote:"Tranny" is a "hilarious" typo because "lol, sexism and transphobia." Seriously, we can fucking do better.
Yeah! And while we're at it, tricking people into saying Mike Hunt is sexist too! Gendered references can only ever be funny if you have some disdain for the referenced gender, and they absolutely 100% cannot be funny because of a contrast between what the speaker intends and what the listener hears or unexpected vulgarity, because everyone knows that neither of those things has ever been funny to anyone at any time.

There are two sane baskets in which eggs belong, and they are very related but slightly distinct:
1) As an obscure gendered reference used to describe an object of criticism, it is unlikely to be understood by readers as anything but pejorative.
2) As a gendered reference used to describe an object of criticism, it is uncomfortably reminiscent of a genuine pejorative usage.

But "you shouldn't laugh at that typo; that's transphobic" is crazy talk. It's just a typo, not the Freudian embodiment of our bigotry.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Honestly, I thought that Tranny of Dragons was hilarious because there's nothing threatening about trans people. The implication they are going for is that the dragons are violently oppressing people, but with the typo it just turns into an irrelevant personal choice. You could get the same effect with "The Breakfast Cereal Choices of Dragons" or "The Deeply Personal Existential Poetry of Dragons," but Tranny of Dragons is punchier and also happened organically because of a typographical error.

-Username17
Night Goat
Journeyman

Post by Night Goat »

Kaelik wrote:
Night Goat wrote:
It's not being used to say anything, it's just a joke. Anyone who's too thin-skinned to handle a harmless joke shouldn't be on the internet without adult supervision.
Night Goat
Journeyman

Post by Night Goat »

Prak wrote:"Tranny" is a "hilarious" typo because "lol, sexism and transphobia." Seriously, we can fucking do better.
I think transexuals are cool, but "tranny" is an inherently funny word. Don't try so hard to find things to be offended by.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Also, from a player-facing perspective, Dragons are genderless, so the idea of tranny dragons is even funnier.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I simultaneously disagree with both Prak and Night Goat. On the one hand, when I laughed and called it typo of the year it was for the reasons Frank mentioned--they were going for epic fantasy but in my head I was suddenly imagining a glammed up draconic runway show and that dichotomy is hilarious despite the fact that I have nothing against transexuals OR transvestites. However, with that said, it doesn't take a genius to realize that outside of that context there is little reason why someone should be making a good faith effort to assume we're not being assholes, so why not just make life way simpler and not use an offensive thing if we're not actually trying to be offensive? I'm not a big fan of being all PC, all the time, but at some point you have to acknowledge when it's reasonably likely that you're communicating things you do not intend to.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
Krusk
Knight-Baron

Post by Krusk »

it was a funny typo. You probably shouldn't use it as your general term for the adventure if you don't want to come off as transphobic. If you don't care about coming off as transphobic, go at it.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

FrankTrollman wrote:Honestly, I thought that Tranny of Dragons was hilarious because there's nothing threatening about trans people. The implication they are going for is that the dragons are violently oppressing people, but with the typo it just turns into an irrelevant personal choice. You could get the same effect with "The Breakfast Cereal Choices of Dragons" or "The Deeply Personal Existential Poetry of Dragons," but Tranny of Dragons is punchier and also happened organically because of a typographical error.

-Username17
This, exactly.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

While I don't care for PC, I'm just dropping the name and using Tyranny of Neckbeards or someting. Sure as hell I'm not apologizing for finding a typo-derived in-forum joke funny, but this particular joke isn't something worth fighting for.
Last edited by Dogbert on Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Isn't the thing with typos to make them worse?

Try Any Dragons? The Ranting of Dragons. Torrent of Dragons. It's Raining Dragons.

There you go. It's raining dragons. Because it rains Kobolds, Bullywugs, and Lizardfolk, which are just like Dragons. Or has this place already used "it's raining dragons" for a book? There's a thread for that somewhere. Seems like a catchy title.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

I was under the impression the "it's raining" bit was for thematic splats. Doesn't fit as well on an AP.
Heaven's Thunder Hammer
Master

Post by Heaven's Thunder Hammer »

I thought the tranny remark was funny too. If people want to get all offended over an in joke.... They can go back to rpg.net and commune with other thin skinned social justice warriors where people get banned for this sort of thing. I personally have had enough pc censorship on the Internet.
Last edited by Heaven's Thunder Hammer on Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Heaven's Thunder Hammer wrote:I thought the tranny remark was funny too. If people want to get all offended over an in joke.... They can go back to rpg.net and commune with other thin skinned social justice warriors where people get banned for this sort of thing. I personally have had enough pc censorship on the Internet.
Oh look, guy who joined in May of 2014 and has 50 posts is telling us that we don't belong on TGD if we care about things like racism, sexism, and transphobia, because he knows the attitude of TGD better than us.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

I really wasn't going to say anything because lazy, but while we're on the topic: the number of times I have seen "PC censorship" condemned and it turned out to be legitimate overreach by the Internet Subcommittee for Inoffensive Language has been very small. It's not so much that the overreach doesn't happen, but that the people who use the term PC as a criticism are almost across the board either bigots, who want to say bigoted things, or idiots, who don't understand why something might or might not be offensive. The people who aren't bigots and do understand why language might be offensive are generally able to articulate themselves without using conservative dogwhistles.

Talking about "PC censorship" is basically like talking about "feminazis" or "SJW's." While there are people on the internet doing stupid things in the name of feminism and equality, in practice the term feminazi is a pejorative label for all feminists that the misogynist echochamber validates by pointing to what they believe are (sometimes correctly) extreme examples, and the term SJW is a pejorative label for all egalitarians that the bigot echochamber validates by pointing to what they believe are (sometimes correctly) extreme examples. You really shouldn't use those words unless you're talking about the phenomenon directly, because they aren't useful and by the power of strawmen, memetics, and language-shaping they are being used (intentionally or otherwise) to turn people against egalitarianism.

Now, I'm not making any assumptions about you as a person. But I am telling you that maybe you should abandon the terminology you've elected to use and learn to express yourself in a way that shows you understand that [cook with a g] is an offensive racial slur and the circumstances in which it will be appropriate to use are few and far between and that backlash against speaking such a term would not be "PC censorship." Shit is complicated, and you should approach the topic like shit is in fact complicated, and the anti-PC thing is specifically designed to be a simplistic warcry you say for any reason at any time in response to any criticism. It exists to protect very bad people from the very bad things they do and say.

Edit: For what it's worth, this is meant to be a non-accusatory heads up. I don't know how well that got through, so I'm just going to say it.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

Fucking shit.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

For reference, I'm pretty much with Frank here. Going from Tyranny to Tranny is a pretty hilarious incongruity. I'm not saying you can't laugh at it. My problem is that if you keep writing like that, it eventually stops looking like "Hey, check out this hilarious typo we made." and more like "5e is so bad that I have to compare it to a transvestite to explain how bad it is. PS I am a terrible person."

And since infected slut princess has decided to show up in the thread, I'm going to go ahead and say that the "Whore Out the Dragon Queen" thread has the same issue. It was funny once, but using it jokes about sexual trafficking to mock 5e is pretty fucking tasteless, and you shouldn't do it for the same reason you wouldn't make a holocaust pun out of a module title.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

My point was more that people, in general, will find the word tranny funny because society treats transexuals (and transvestites) as a joke for a lot of reasons (look at Robot Chicken's allusion to The Crying Game, and a long history of "oh my god! [character] has a dick! and I wanted to fuck them!). Basically, society's use of transexualism in humour is built on a history of sexism (because society treats being female as inferior) and homophobia (because heterosexual men are often treated as being extremely insecure about their sexuality. I like Frank's motivation for the humour in the typo, it being a complete non-sequitor, and don't necessarily think that the majority of people here are sexist shitheads (though... some...), I was just commenting on the usage of transexualism in humour.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

DSMatticus wrote:I was under the impression the "it's raining" bit was for thematic splats. Doesn't fit as well on an AP.
It's hot/wet/cold/not/crowded outside, but that was all years ago. I don't think anyone cared enough to call 4e anything. 5e's only going to have APs with an associated player book, so each set's going to need a name, if anyone's going to care enough to talk about them.

Would've helped if I'd had a better name to offer, of course. Or it happened naturally. :ohwell:
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

When I find Tranny of the Dragons funny, it doesn't mean I want to go out and give some gender-confused person a hard time. Why do people on the internet want to give me a hard time for being amused by things?
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.