The Shadowrun Situation

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Blade wrote:I understand your problems with CGL and with SR5. I agree that changing a core system which works is a dangerous move. But I don't think it's necessarily a bad one and I don't think you can blame someone just for doing it.

You can blame him for the way he does it. So far, the Limit system doesn't seem, in my opinion, to be the best idea ever, but it doesn't look like it will be game-breaking either.
Well, it doesn't do any of the things the designers said it is supposedly for. It is objectively a failure of their supposed design goals. More importantly, it's just shitty. Not just that the implementations they've leaked are comical and depressing (you have to be a big beefy troll to sneak past alert security guards, and you need a finely scoped sniper rifle for close quarters fighting because hit caps matter most in opposed tests you stupid fucktards!), but the entire concept of the idea is doomed to be fucked up no matter how it's implemented.

Putting an extra hit limit in based on your attributes or your attributes puts in an extra step where things can go wrong. And they will really obviously go wrong all over the place. Just the fact that the limit is based on either stats or equipment means that there are definitely going to be places where characters are better off using no equipment than mediocre equipment. Most PCs are going to be better at picking locks with their fingernails than with hair pins.

But beyond that, there really isn't a place where such a change could possibly go right. A hit cap does not matter in an unopposed test unless it makes the task outright impossible. A character will see no change at all in their success rate on any task that isn't being directly opposed by another character by using top of the line or bottom shelf equipment. None. Zero. Nothing.

So think of all the unopposed tasks that seem like having better equipment might be helpful. Risky driving? Picking locks? Climbing walls? Deactivating bombs? Under the new "hit cap" system of equipment, having superior equipment does not affect your success rate for any of that shit!

It's garbage. It's severely corrosive to the game's core mechanic, which I remind you is SR4's one and only claim to be anything better or different than RIFTS. And every single effect, every single one is extremely stupid. They are replacing a rule that was fast, easy to adjudicate, simple to explain, and worked well (get +1-3 dice for having awesome equipment), with something that is confusing, counterintuitive, slows the game down, and has literally only bad effects. It is beyond understanding that anyone who actually played this fucking game could think this was a good idea after thinking about it for more than thirty seconds.

Simply apply the proposed rule to any circumstance where it would do anything. The results are without exception utterly retarded.
But actually I don't really care about game mechanics. I houserule a lot. My current campaign uses Mahjong tiles instead of dice, so that's not really what I'm interested in. I just hope, without really believing it, that they come up with good mechanics for the parts that were really faulty.
Wat.

So you don't even play Shadowrun and don't give a shit whether the rules or setting is good or bad. And therefore... you have hope? That doesn't compute.
What I found interesting in what we have been able to see so far, is that it looks like that CGL has finally decided on a direction for the game instead of having it drift from one style to another depending on the writer. It might just be an impression, it might just be an intent that won't be followed, but if that turns out to be true, that would solve the main issue I had with Shadowrun since the new team got in place, and maybe even before that.
Well, Jason Hardy and Bull have always had a direction they are taking the game. It's a muddled and poorly thought through direction, but it hasn't changed since about 2005. Jason "Amazonia will never forgive your Tree Planting" Hardy and Bull "you're banned for telling me how the mechanics work" Drek have not changed direction at any point. They've just gradually gotten more and more power as the people who had competing visions left in disgust or got pushed out.

If you liked War!, you'll love the edition where Jason Hardy gets to rewrite the mechanics in addition to just rewriting the fluff.

-Username17
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Jason has never understood Shadowrun. "Magic cyberpunk noir," remember. He has also never exhibited even the slightest degree of editorial control over his writers. So the setting material in SR5 is going to be whatever the writers want to write about anyway. Even if you don't give a piss about the system or the mechanics, there is no bright light on the horizon just in terms of setting.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

War! Killer Trees from Outerspace!
They've shown that they totally can't be bothered to think about the setting. They can't even be bothered to spend 20 minutes looking at google maps for the place they are writing about to realize that having jungle trees surround an Andes surrounded city is retarded. Not to mention killer blood trees as a major plot point is just ugh.

They can't write mechanics.
They can't write setting.
They can't even be bothered to read their own setting bible. (or have one)

There is zero hope for SR5. And they're hobbling the only decent part of the game mechanics.
Nath
Master

Post by Nath »

FrankTrollman wrote:At the point where Jason unveiled his objectively terrible hit cap rules, there was no reason for me to give a single fuck about anything more that SR5 was about.
The possessive is somewhat inappropriate. Aaron proposed it, proceeded to shot down any other alternative proposals, and Jason nodded in agreement.
Last edited by Nath on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kzt
Knight-Baron

Post by kzt »

The developer is the guy who is responsible for everything that gets published for his game. Good or terrible, it's his.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

doesn't make it better, really . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Dragon Instincts
1st Level

Post by Dragon Instincts »

FrankTrollman wrote: So think of all the unopposed tasks that seem like having better equipment might be helpful. Risky driving? Picking locks? Climbing walls? Deactivating bombs? Under the new "hit cap" system of equipment, having superior equipment does not affect your success rate for any of that shit!
This! This so much!
I just cannot comprehend why better gear just gives you a potentially better maximum result rather than a bonus. And, as you've said, even this potentional result only matters for opposed tests.

According to this rule, this happens: When I take a rifle and try to shoot a moving target at a long range, then I do not profit from a smartlink, which tells me where to shoot after it calculates bullet speed, the target's movement, the bullet drop and all the other ballistic stuff. It only allows more maximum hits and do more damage, which means "hitting a vital spot" versus "hitting the target somewhere". But to just plain hitting the target at all, it does nothing for me.
Why?

No matter how bad the shooter is, he WILL profit from a sophisticated 2070'ies ballistic computer that paints a red cross directly into his vision which he then must point at the red triangle (or whatever) marking his target. Maybe he will profit even more than a professional marksman who knows where to shoot anyways, but here, only the latter gets any effect out of this ballistic computer at all.
Last edited by Dragon Instincts on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Interview with Jason M. Hardy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls8n4GS4AZU

There are some technical issues at 18min10s, just FF to 18min55s, if you're watching
Hmmm...

So, to inform those that for some reason have a dying hate of Youtube...

-The Intro Box Set will be released shortly after the core rulebook gets released

-Splintered State will in fact be the first non-Missions published adventure module for SR5

-More confirmation on the Stolen Souls sourcebook (which will contain the usual plot hooks, as well as the run-down, how-tos, and gear to used on extraction-based runs)

-The first rulebook expansion after the SR5 core rulebook is released will be the Gear/Combat book (no title for that yet)

-There has been talk about bringing back the SR3-style custom weapon and vehicle generation systems

-An SR4 -> SR5 character conversion guide is being worked on.
-There has been talk about bringing back the SR3-style custom weapon and vehicle generation systems
BWAAAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAAAHAAAAA
This is shaping up to be more like SR3.5 than 4.5 . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

which seems fine. I think they need to go even further into 3.5 land, like dice pools and L/M/S/D and hermetic/shamanic and maybe even skill web stuff.
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

I'm pretty sure Hermetic/Shamanic was already confirmed as coming back.

But what was the Skill Web? I only played SR3 and SR4, but if SR3 had the 'skill web' I can't remember it or what it is referring to.
kzt
Knight-Baron

Post by kzt »

It's a SR1 concept. Essentially skills are related, so if you have skills in a particular area you get lesser skills in similar areas.

A very cool idea, but it didn't work as well as the designers hoped.

http://shadowrun.plasticwarriors.org/pd ... eb.pdf.zip
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

kzt wrote:It's a SR1 concept. Essentially skills are related, so if you have skills in a particular area you get lesser skills in similar areas.

A very cool idea, but it didn't work as well as the designers hoped.

http://shadowrun.plasticwarriors.org/pd ... eb.pdf.zip
I can see where that would be desirable, especially as in the earlier systems your dice pool was just skill, rather than skill+attribute.

But uh... yeah the chart in that PDF looks hellacious.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Wait if I'm reading that chart right, you could default to social skills using Intelligence instead of Charisma, with a +14 to target numbers? Or Intelligence to various gun skills with +10. Probably literally never a good idea, but funny to see nontheless.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

Yeah, the skill web could've used some tweaking. But the idea is good if not the actual implementation.

I never actually played SR3, just SR1/2 then jumped to SR4. So in my mind SR3 is just SR2.5 :D
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The only people who ever really used the Skill Web were 1st edition Adepts, who before errata could spend all of their magic points on getting automatic hits in Athletics at a cost of .25 per hit. Then, because automatic hits simply bled off crawling through the skill web, they could take their 24 automatic hits and automatically succeed beyond the wildest dreams of anyone by just defaulting through military theory or some shit. They'd roll some dice at +18 to target numbers or some shit, but then they'd have 6 extra dice that automatically succeeded... on etiquette tests or whatever the fuck. That was stupid and it got errataed away.

But the Skill Web was still fucking useless. The harsh reality is that moving target numbers around made your skills useless so fast that there was really no point in even calculating what the skill web would do to you.

There is, I think, genuine need for it to be much cheaper to buy related skills in the first place. Because having pilot aircraft is worth fundamentally less if you already have pilot ground vehicle. And of course, it's "realistic" for it to be relatively easy to master something that is similar to something you're already good at. Skill groups are a clumsy and limited implementation of that. But they are still better than the skill web ever was.

-Username17
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

It seems like the skill web would work pretty well with SR4's hit mechanics. Each node on the skill web would be -x dice, with jumps to different-attribute-linked skills a larger x. This would keep the craziness away that resulted from SR3's moving TN.

Of course, I think some of the problems the skill web tries to solve would be gotten rid of if skills were collapsed somewhat. There's no need to have a Blades and Clubs skill. Or a first aid and medicine skill. Etc.
Otakusensei
Master

Post by Otakusensei »

Beg to differ there. Blades and clubs function fairly differently to do their intended purpose, which is significantly different in each case.

First Aid and medicine are meant to be the difference between a doctor in a hospital and an EMT. While they both ostensibly heal people in one fashion or another the approach and outcomes are very different.

SR4s skill system was pretty collapsed from previous version that if I recall let you get skill concentrations in specific weapons. Skill groups are clunky and the limits on raising them along with disparate skills is a mechanical resource management choice that doesn't feel intuitive in play. I normally throw it out.

People keep coming back to the skill web because it has a look to it, there's something nearly tactile in the visual that they want to use. I think it could be worked into an elegant solution to the skill issue in SR4. I know the CGLosers would kludge something together in the same manner as someone with the Clubs skill applying that knowledge to Medicine.
Last edited by Otakusensei on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nath
Master

Post by Nath »

Otakusensei wrote:Blades and clubs function fairly differently to do their intended purpose, which is significantly different in each case.
As far as fighting techniques are concerned, there are much more differences between a knife and an axe, than between an axe and a mace (note: I'm talking about a typical medieval one-handed axe here, not a modern CQB hatchet).

Each successive edition of Shadowrun either split or merged skills. It never had much to do with realism and the range of human knowledge. The bottom line is more of a calculation of how much karma should each "class" need to move up a "level". Thus was gun fight covered by a single skill in SR1/SR2, five in SR3, down to three in SR4 ; De/Hacking was a single skill in SR1/SR2/SR3, and five or six in SR4 ; ...
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Beg to differ there. Blades and clubs function fairly differently to do their intended purpose, which is significantly different in each case.
And nobody at all playing the game actually cares because Blades and Clubs fill the exact same role in the game.
There is, I think, genuine need for it to be much cheaper to buy related skills in the first place. Because having pilot aircraft is worth fundamentally less if you already have pilot ground vehicle. And of course, it's "realistic" for it to be relatively easy to master something that is similar to something you're already good at. Skill groups are a clumsy and limited implementation of that. But they are still better than the skill web ever was.
Any idea what an implementation of this would look like?

While skills are really fucking expensive proportionally to attributes, the actual number is pretty small (2*skill or 4, depending on karma or BP). That doesn't leave room for a lot of discounts to be applied, assuming you want to maintain an enforced minimum of 1, so that having a couple of good skills doesn't just get you a suite of other skills for free.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Seerow wrote:
And nobody at all playing the game actually cares because Blades and Clubs fill the exact same role in the game.
On top of that, skills don't represent any one single action or method. They just say what you know how to do, not how you do it. Having "melee" on your sheet doesn't have to mean that you use your knife the same way you use your club. It just means that somehow, somewhere you picked up the ability to do various melee stuff. If you want to represent a dude who is better with an sword than he is with an axe, then you throw on a specialization on top of some base amount of combat skill and call it good. It seems weird to me that people are still hung up on this given that we're talking about a franchise that has also had skills called Biotech or Hardware.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

People get weird when fighters get nice things. YEAH I WENT THERE! :P

With this skill splitting 4th did it's almost impossible to build a martial artist, since those guys train with all kinds of weapons (unless it's some pansy martial arts like karate) without learning a ton of diffrent stlyes. But you would still need unarmed, blades, clubs at least just to cover the basics and if they are not at the same rating you get weird jumps when a guy picks up his nun-chucks and suddenly is the most horrible combatant ever although his chosen martial art blends weapons and unarmed strikes and holds and whatnot into a single style.

BTW, did anyone ever use the martial art maneuver rules in 4th?
To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
kzt
Knight-Baron

Post by kzt »

Rawbeard wrote: BTW, did anyone ever use the martial art maneuver rules in 4th?
Almost as much as I used the chase rules.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

BTW, did anyone ever use the martial art maneuver rules in 4th?
Ocasionally used bits and pieces of them. Never used the whole thing as written (seriously Martial Arts as a positive quality is bogus), but we've done things like "Spend a couple karma to gain one of the martial arts benefits" and seen it used to get free damage bonuses for melee, and the occasional maneuver (most of the maneuvers are terrible even for free, but there were a couple that were decent. The TWFing one was basically always on full defense iirc, which is pretty nice)
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i think there were some hillariously broken ones(no surprise there) in there, especially in some frowned upon combinations . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Ancient History wrote:Jason has never understood Shadowrun. "Magic cyberpunk noir," remember. He has also never exhibited even the slightest degree of editorial control over his writers. So the setting material in SR5 is going to be whatever the writers want to write about anyway. Even if you don't give a piss about the system or the mechanics, there is no bright light on the horizon just in terms of setting.
I mean, "magic cyberpunk noir" seems to be a decent description of some of SR, at least, but I don't know what you're referencing.