Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Not to mention we have animals like Pandas and Koalas who ran out of fucks to give and decided to eat one specific thing regardless of how stupid it is.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Also, predatory behavior is just a subset of aggressive behavior, and you can find the odd aggressive animal out there who just happens to be a herbivore who can bite like a motherfucker. Like hippos.
bears fall, everyone dies
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Whipstitch wrote:Also, predatory behavior is just a subset of aggressive behavior, and you can find the odd aggressive animal out there who just happens to be a herbivore who can bite like a motherfucker. Like hippos.
Large herbivores in general are aggressive most of the time. If a large herbivore evolved into sentient life, they'd be more likely to be like the Krogan rather than like the Ithorians.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

Hippos are the extreme example, but there are a lot of herbivores with nasty bites. Plants are often tough and fibrous, and require no small jaw strength to rip and chew. I am in no hurry to get bitten by a horse, or even a rabbit.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i was bitten by a horse once, that was a very traumatic experience for a small little fry like i was back then <.<
Last edited by Stahlseele on Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:Not to mention we have animals like Pandas and Koalas who ran out of fucks to give and decided to eat one specific thing regardless of how stupid it is.
I don't know what the story is with how Pandas came to switch their diet from meat to bamboo, but the theory for koala diet is that eucalyptus leaves were an abundant food source that was so poor in nutrients and high in toxins that there was zero competition for them. And while that combination resulted in an animal that sleeps for twenty-three hours a day and is high as a kite for the other one, they seem to do okay. I know a few humans who would sign up for that lifestyle.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

FrankTrollman wrote:Every part of that chart is insane, and none of the claims made on any part of it are true. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the person credited with making it is either not a real doctor or doesn't even exist.
He's apparently real, and a real doctor. However, looking that up referred me to this as rebuttal: http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/omni.htm
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

angelfromanotherpin wrote: I don't know what the story is with how Pandas came to switch their diet from meat to bamboo, but the theory for koala diet is that eucalyptus leaves were an abundant food source that was so poor in nutrients and high in toxins that there was zero competition for them. And while that combination resulted in an animal that sleeps for twenty-three hours a day and is high as a kite for the other one, they seem to do okay. I know a few humans who would sign up for that lifestyle.
It doesn't seem to be working too well for pandas. Maybe they used to eat a balanced diet of bamboo and dinosaurs, and then something very unfortunate happened. The main problem for them is that a proper herbivore has fifty thousand miles of intestine to draw every last bit of nutrient out of the food, whereas a full carnivore has a relatively short intestine so as to not have the food rot and poison them mid-digestion. So they're not getting the full benefit of what they eat.

Humans also made the switch, but in a less extreme way. We were originally herbivores, hence the length of our intestines, but eventually we decided "fuck it, all these animals are getting in the way, wandering into our houses, give me a fork, I'll handle this". Or something. But we have to be way more careful about what we eat than, say, dogs or cats do. Because they can eat some dodgy meat, digest it, and shit the remains out before it turns into a mass of dangerous bacteria inside them. We cannot.

And apparently there's a type of squirrel somewhere that did the herbivore -> carnivore change.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:And while that combination resulted in an animal that sleeps for twenty-three hours a day and is high as a kite for the other one, they seem to do okay. I know a few humans who would sign up for that lifestyle.
We have a poster who would probably sign up for that lifestyle (although the alarmingly high rate of chlamydia in female koalas might dissuade them...)
Koumei wrote:"fuck it, all these animals are getting in the way, wandering into our houses, give me a fork, I'll handle this"
Best fucking explanation for the early hominid shift from herbivore to omnivore I've ever heard.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:I don't know what the story is with how Pandas came to switch their diet from meat to bamboo, but the theory for koala diet is that eucalyptus leaves were an abundant food source that was so poor in nutrients and high in toxins that there was zero competition for them. And while that combination resulted in an animal that sleeps for twenty-three hours a day and is high as a kite for the other one, they seem to do okay. I know a few humans who would sign up for that lifestyle.
Frank on Koalas
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Stahlseele wrote:i was bitten by a horse once, that was a very traumatic experience for a small little fry like i was back then <.<
A moose once bit my sister.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:i was bitten by a horse once, that was a very traumatic experience for a small little fry like i was back then <.<
A moose once bit my sister.
A wampa bit mine.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

fectin wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:Every part of that chart is insane, and none of the claims made on any part of it are true. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the person credited with making it is either not a real doctor or doesn't even exist.
He's apparently real, and a real doctor. However, looking that up referred me to this as rebuttal: http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/omni.htm
Looking into it more, he's apparently an outpatient physician in Virginia who is also an evangelical vegetarian. His rants are a pack of lies and every single part of it is wrong - so I assume he is doing the whole lying for Jesus vegetarianism thing.

I mean it's really kind of amazing how wrong every single part of it is. Whether animals have sharp claws or not mostly has to do with whether they dig or climb. Lots of herbivores have sharp claws. Hell, guinea pigs have sharp claws, and they are about the most herbivorous herbivores there are. More generally, animal body plans have a lot more to do with what clade they are in than what they eat. The aforementioned guinea pigs have very similar faces, jaws, and digestive tracts to rats and shrews because they are closely related - despite the fact that one is an herbivore, one is an omnivore, and one is a carnivore.

The thing you linked to is better, but it still descends into traditional vegetarian religious insanity at the end. The weird quote about cholesterol being a poison that kills us for eating meat isn't just a total non sequitur, it's totally false. Blood cholesterol is bad for us if it gets too high. But we actually do need cholesterol to live, and also your blood cholesterol has very little to do with how much cholesterol you eat. The cholesterol in your blood is synthesized from fat by your liver, meaning that it's totally possible for vegetarians to have elevated blood cholesterol. In food, it is contained in the cell membranes of animals, which means that it is much higher in lean meat than in fatty meat - but fatty meat raises your blood cholesterol much more than lean meat does because of the aforementioned liver fat synthesis problem. Cholesterol is not a poison. It's a vital part of your body which is insufficiently regulated in most humans and can be over synthesized by people who eat high fat diets resulting in increased risk of cardiovascular disease.

-Username17
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Thank you, muchly, Frank. I'm incredibly appreciative. :) And thank you to everyone else, too. I love zefrank. :)
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Koumei wrote: And apparently there's a type of squirrel somewhere that did the herbivore -> carnivore change.
Insert "they still eat nuts" joke.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I have no idea how the quotes in the appendix relate to the rest. I assumed the author was citing something he disagreed with, because they are contradicted by the text around them. Since everything up to that point seemed sane, I just ignored them on first read.
FrankTrollman wrote:Cholesterol
I've heard a neuro researcher (who was last in a lab when &#947;aba was new and poorly understood) speculate that high cholesterol is actually a symptom of some mild brain badnesses. Roughly: you need cholesterol to brain; if you weren't getting enough because of overly-efficient blood brain barriers, your body might flood your blood with it to compensate. Sure, you'd die when you're 40, but you think faster in the meantime.

I have nearly zero evidence that's actually true (anecdotal: I have heard that some people on cholesterol meds complain that they get confused more easily). But it sounds much more plausible than "meatbags are stupid, and break for no reason".
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

RobbyPants wrote:Insert "they still eat nuts" joke.
It crossed my mind, but I figured that's such a low hanging fruit* that anyone can go for it. You didn't let me down.

*oh there we go again!
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

For shows that use laugh tracks where the show pauses until the audience stops laughing, about how many seconds do you lose per episode because of this nonsense?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Wouldn't say it is nonsense.
For example, if I watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKS3MGriZcs

You really realise how stupid and awkward the dialogue is. Terrible shows become a lot more bearable with a laugh track.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

ishy wrote:You really realise how stupid and awkward the dialogue is. Terrible shows become a lot more bearable with a laugh track.
Or they could rewrite the show so that it becomes funny without having to ring the Pavlovian dinner bell.

But that's besides the point. Regardless of how necessary of laugh tracks are, I'm simply wondering how much raw padding they introduce.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I really should know this shit already, but is there a way to tell Windows Update to go fuck itself and not set a restart timer?

My PC has various playlists for "waiting to fall asleep", and I've been woken up by the restart process a few times. Not to mention the number of times I've left stuff half-typed in firefox (or kept stuff typed up in notepad and not saved because "I only need it until after tomorrow") and it then decided "OKAY WE'RE RESETTING NOW!" and I lost the info.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Koumei wrote:I really should know this shit already, but is there a way to tell Windows Update to go fuck itself and not set a restart timer?

My PC has various playlists for "waiting to fall asleep", and I've been woken up by the restart process a few times. Not to mention the number of times I've left stuff half-typed in firefox (or kept stuff typed up in notepad and not saved because "I only need it until after tomorrow") and it then decided "OKAY WE'RE RESETTING NOW!" and I lost the info.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... e427756ccc
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

depending on your version, try start -> control panel, double click windows update, select "change settings" on the left, change your update behavior in the dropdown.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
ishy wrote:You really realise how stupid and awkward the dialogue is. Terrible shows become a lot more bearable with a laugh track.
Or they could rewrite the show so that it becomes funny without having to ring the Pavlovian dinner bell.

But that's besides the point. Regardless of how necessary of laugh tracks are, I'm simply wondering how much raw padding they introduce.
When I was a kid, I didn't realize things were supposed to be funny by their own merits and didn't know when to laugh if there wasn't a laugh track.

I had to teach myself what a sense of humor was because it wasn't automatic with me.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Thanks guys.