General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Ferret
Knight

Post by Ferret »

Early previews are starting to filter in:

http://minimodelgeek.blogspot.ca/2013/0 ... iew_8.html

http://samhaine.wordpress.com/2013/07/0 ... irst-look/

These were retweeted by Catalyst so clearly they're not going to be too critical
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

SR5 has been released.
Shit hit the fan.
The PDF sold out immediately anyway . .
What the fuck people?
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1 ... _id=379747
Last edited by Stahlseele on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

What what?
How does a PDF sell out? It's a fucking PDF.
Parthenon
Knight-Baron

Post by Parthenon »

The... PDF sold out? Why would you even want to put a limit on the number of PDFs you sell?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

No idea.
I'm guessing they redacted that file, because they managed to send DriveThrough the WRONG FILE TO PUBLISH!
Missing Bookmarks.
Missing Corrections.
Missing Graphics.
Errors in the Formatting.
Errors in the Graphics.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Yeah, no real surprises there.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

I heard that it was probably the wrong "version" of the PDF, had messed up formatting and no bookmarks and stuff. So it probably got pulled until they could offer the correct version.

*edit* ninja'd! ouch it hurts
Last edited by phlapjackage on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Well, that's not sold out then.
That's.. oops, we need to replace it, stop selling that shit. It's sad, but totally acceptable to stop selling the wrong pdf :)
Otakusensei
Master

Post by Otakusensei »

Let's hope for their sake that the real corrected PDF exists...
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

It really do not know what I expected.
To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Oh it totally existed.. but then some intern accidentally saved a 3 month old version over it.. and they couldn't afford to be doing backups.. and.. well.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

And then they sent it to the printers and then started to release the previews and lo and behold, dumbshock went into overdrive and found some massive errors.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

Hell, even the QSR is fucked. Apparently, being under cover gives the attacker a +2 to +4 bonus for shooting at you. You'd think fifteen minutes of error-checking would catch that, but hey, that's Catalyst. (Presumably, that is not how it's supposed to work.)
Then, once you have absorbed the lesson, that your so-called "friends" are nothing but meat sacks flopping around in the fashion of an outgassing corpse, pile all of your dice and pencils and graph-paper in the corner and SET THEM ON FIRE. Weep meaningless tears.

-DrPraetor
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Page 65 :

"Trolls
receive Thermographic Vision, +1 Reach, and Dermal
Armor, but they also receive the disadvantage of having
to pay an additional fifty percent for gear because
everything—including cyberware and bioware—must
be specially modified to meet their massive physical
requirements."
15 minutes of error checking, indeed . .

with the price change in ware, this means a troll can't do anything anymore really . . trolls and magic are always a difficult combination and now they won't have enough money either . .

also, one would have notices that dorfs somehow lost their infradead eyes.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

To be fair, I've yet to see anyone ever play a dwarf. (Except for me, because Dwarf Faces are too hilarious to pass up.)

I made him French with the handle of Sarko. Because lol.
Last edited by vagrant on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

I play Dwarf Riggers and Hackers in Shadowrun all the time. It's one of my favorite races.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i would love to play dorfs . . but i am an ass, i can do 5 minutes of constant short jokes, little quips, minor ribbing and a small bit of very bad puns and plays on words . . and my buddies are exactly the same!
so it would be horrible for all involved.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Dwarf is by far my favorite SR race as well, fuck all y'all hatas throwin shade on the little people.

Seriously, dwarfs are fucking badass.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I've never really understood the appeal. It's hard to think of them as underdogs or anything given that they're built like tanks and culturally they're not different enough to communicate anything.
bears fall, everyone dies
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

The Smiths of Legend. Miners and Builders of great architecture.
People who appreciate good food and drink and a good story and some music.
People who like to laugh. Brawling for Honor or for Brawlings sake.
Basically, they are people who have decided to tell the world to go fuck itself and have fun while exploring it.

The fact that they are both capable magicians and combat characters in shadowrun is just a nice addition to the top . . i never understood why they were always depicted as deckers and riggers . . why would you want to step out of a short but stout, incredibly strong and resilent body?
Aside from maybe the challenge of using your smarts and not your brawn for a change.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

You get that what you just said is actually fucktarded in a setting where the dwarves are seriously just some regular dudes aside from the fact that everyone just initially assumed they had birth defects until it turned out that they were basically fine though, right?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

heh. Somebody just posted a 5/5 review of SR5 on rpg.net. I so do hate that forum.
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

My magpie instinct went off and I bought the thing. It's...pretty? Other than that, I can't really say I'd rather use that than Fourth. Shit like single attack option per action phase, priority build...The whole using marks to hack shit looks fucktarded to me, but I'd need to playtest it a bit.
Then, once you have absorbed the lesson, that your so-called "friends" are nothing but meat sacks flopping around in the fashion of an outgassing corpse, pile all of your dice and pencils and graph-paper in the corner and SET THEM ON FIRE. Weep meaningless tears.

-DrPraetor
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

In SR3 under the point system it straight up cost less to be a Dwarf than the stat bonuses were worth and you got thermovision and poison resistance. From a pure powergaming stance, it was hard to not be a Dwarf in SR3. It was like being an Ork in SR4, but more so since there were no real drawbacks for any character type.

That being said, I know a number of women who play Dwarves almost exclusively. There is something about being small and tough that appeals to a segment of the population who are used to being underestimated.

-Username17
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Mechanically they were bad asses, yeah. My inability to process them as underdogs is probably just due to the way I routinely block out just exactly how short they really are. Whenever I visualize them it comes out more around 4 feet which is apparently way tall for a dwarf in SR land.