Pathfinder Is Still Bad

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Last edited by ishy on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

ishy wrote:Debatable, since someone at Paizo already fucked it up once for the Advanced Race Guide and they changed how the summon rules work in their faq:
Huh, I was not aware of that change. I'm sure I can do something with that, maybe some Death Knell?

On the other side, it makes the counterfeit horse trade even more lucrative.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Sorry think my quote was unclear, because I only quoted that part.

Believe it only applies if you have the half-orc feature thingy, (not sure about that, but I'll edit the post above).
Last edited by ishy on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
GâtFromKI
Knight-Baron

Post by GâtFromKI »

ishy wrote:Debatable, since someone at Paizo already fucked it up once for the Advanced Race Guide and they changed how the summon rules work in their faq:
Let me put this straight: in order to understand a feat from Champion of Purity, I have to read the erratas of a latter publication. That's silly.
Last edited by GâtFromKI on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

GâtFromKI wrote:
Let me put this straight: in order to understand a feat from Champion of Purity, I have to read the erratas of a latter publication. That's silly.
Nah, you just have to understand the principle of implied exception.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

GâtFromKI wrote:
If you don't understand how it was intended to work, you're a retard. Shame on Paizo for making a feat that's screwed up, but shame on you for being a retard.
GâtFromKI
Knight-Baron

Post by GâtFromKI »

Yeah, yeah, because the way Pathfinder is intended to work is so obvious that SKR himself is able to explain that the examples displayed in the books don't work as described.

Have you been recently lobotomized or something?

There isn't any "obvious intend" anywhere in Pathfinder, because the designers are stupid and they create useless trap options on purpose. When something looks useless and stupid, it has a good chance to be useless and stupid on purpose. Feel free to argue about that, or you can simply read the 178 pages of this thread again and find numerous examples of what I'm saying.

----
Anyway, there's a rule in the book explaining that when a summoned creature fall to 0 HP, it disappear. I'm quite certain nobody cares.

And now, there are feats that interact with this rule, making it important in some case. And you're explaining me that the intend is obviously that I should ignore that rule each time it comes into play.

Why was this rule printed in the first place, again?
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

GâtFromKI wrote:Yeah, yeah, because the way Pathfinder is intended to work is so obvious that SKR himself is able to explain that the examples displayed in the books don't work as described.
No, I'm saying that that one particular feat is obvious, so you're an idiot for complaining about that one particular feat. There are so many legitimate things to complain about in Pathfinder that saying "hurr durr, I can't tell if giving Diehard to summoned creatures is intended to have Diehard work for summoned creatures" just makes you sound stupid.
Last edited by hogarth on Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
GâtFromKI
Knight-Baron

Post by GâtFromKI »

hogarth wrote:No, I'm saying that that one particular feat is obvious
How do you dismiss the possibility that it is a stupid trap option created on purpose, again?

Why do you assume that monkey lunge is a stupid trap option created on purpose while good summon is intended to work, again?
Last edited by GâtFromKI on Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

GâtFromKI wrote:
hogarth wrote:No, I'm saying that that one particular feat is obvious
How do you dismiss the possibility that it is a stupid trap option created on purpose, again?
If a hypothetical feat told you to add the square root of your level to your basketweaving roll, would you ask whether it was meant to be +2 or -2? There's a difference between shit and gibberish, and you're sound like the "But it doesn't SAY that..." retards that the Paizo boards are full of.
Last edited by rasmuswagner on Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

If a hypothetical feat told you to add the square root of your level to your basketweaving roll, would you ask whether it was meant to be +2 or -2?
No, I would assume that it obviously meant both, and it's yet another stupid trash option that does literally nothing.
Antariuk
Knight

Post by Antariuk »

http://seankreynolds.com/misc/a-new-cha ... diana.html

EDIT: The announcement thread on Paizo has the highest number of deleted or moderated postings I have ever seen. Kinda funny.
Last edited by Antariuk on Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust
Slade
Knight

Post by Slade »

In other worlds, they nerfed Wild Rager.
See before the DC was 10+Level + Cha. Seeing as Cha isn't a high stat, that made the DC low at low levels (a good dump stat).

Now? DC 10+1/2 level + Con. Seeing as Con is a high stat, the DC is higher up till high levels (as the 1/2 growth is slower than Con boost).

This was a stealth nerf that few realized what with the Crane debate.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Is that really a nerf?

I haven't looked at the wild rager at all, but IIRC if they rage they get a con bonus, and with that feat that increases your con during a rage, it sounds like the DC is a lot higher at low levels.

And high level pathfinder doesn't work anyway.

- Edit:
And because Frank posted this (well this is a slightly edited):
Frank (paraphrased) wrote:4e thinking at its lamest. Yes, walking around a problem is difficult to the degree of the distance out of your way you have to go to avoid the problem rather than to the difficulty of dealing with the problem head on. Pushing an opponent is difficult to the degree of how far you want to push them rather than how awesome for you it would be if they got pushed into the thing you want to push them into.

Actions are easy or difficult relative to the ease or difficulty of the action in and of itself, not relative to the rewards of success or the penalties of failure. And that isn't some sort of crazy intractable problem or even an interesting revelation. It's the way things work. It's the way things are supposed to work. It's the reason that choices can be good or bad. If you do things right you get high rewards for little risk and if you do things wrong you get low rewards with high risk. And that's good. It means our choices matter.
pathfinder wrote:If you attempt to place your foe in a hazardous location, such as in a wall of fire or over a pit, the target receives a free attempt to break your grapple with a +4 bonus.
Last edited by ishy on Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

ishy wrote:
pathfinder wrote:If you attempt to place your foe in a hazardous location, such as in a wall of fire or over a pit, the target receives a free attempt to break your grapple with a +4 bonus.
S-such advanced theorycraft!
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

ishy wrote:Is that really a nerf?

I haven't looked at the wild rager at all, but IIRC if they rage they get a con bonus, and with that feat that increases your con during a rage, it sounds like the DC is a lot higher at low levels.
The player wants the DC to be low; it's a "save vs. attacking your friends" roll you have to make.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

nockermensch wrote:
ishy wrote:
S-such advanced theorycraft!
Can you use an illusion or make a Bluff check against a party member to make them think there's a hazardous location so they get a free escape attempt?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

hogarth wrote:
ishy wrote:Is that really a nerf?

The player wants the DC to be low; it's a "save vs. attacking your friends" roll you have to make.
Are those ever a good idea to have in a game? I can't imagine anyone wanting to risk something like that.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

If the whole table welcomes it as a sort of comedic thing, it can work. Otherwise it's just a way for one player to fuck with everyone else.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

The idea is that you trigger it and everyone else stays the hell away until it wears off.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Does the Summon Eidolin spell override the restriction on being able to use the Summon Monster spell-like ability only if the Eidolin isn't there? Or what?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

No, but keep in mind the restriction on the SLA goes only one way. If you summon up a bunch of Celestial Dolphins (or whatever) those don't go away if you summon your Eidolon afterward. Normally this doesn't come up since it normally takes ten rounds to summon an Eidolon, and the battle will be over by then, but with the Summon Eidolon spell, you can do it in one round and have it fighting along side your other summons.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I've heard there's a way to have summons appear from the Eidolon, so you could have a giant bee eidolon vomit out more bees
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

OgreBattle wrote:I've heard there's a way to have summons appear from the Eidolon, so you could have a giant bee eidolon vomit out more bees
I'm just going to leave this here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... GBOBo#t=18