YAY! That's a huge time saver. Danke.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:Let's say we solve the illegal immigration/drug cartel problem by finishing what we started in 1845 and just annexing the rest of Mexico? Other than the Mexicans probably not being too keen on the idea, what would be the effects?
Well, it would technically solve the illegal immigration problem. Rather in the same sort of way that letting the people trying to break into your house, into your house, resolves the problem of people trying to break into it.

You've created a whole series of much worse problems in the course of the 'solution'.

Instead of the economies of the US and Mexico slowly equalizing, we'd instantly take on a huge drag factor. We'd be responsible for the crummy infrastructure of a major country which could offer us very little in return. Instead of having to deal with an influx of *some* of the unskilled, uneducated labor force of Mexico, we'd have to deal with all of it. And the successful parts of Mexico are largely based on extracting money out of the US, so both the legal and illegal businessmen would be very, very unhappy with us.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

anybody know a good way to not have stuff burn into a plasma display? things like GUI elements from games and streams that will stay at the same position for hours on end and already leave shadowy after images after a few minutes mainly . . i can't see that being good for the display in the long run? x.x
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

What do you guys think of this impromptu and shoddily-reasoned hypothesis:

Immigration is a good thing, because humans start to get a little stir-crazy if demographics are static for too long.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I think evidence would suggest humans get a little stir-crazy under all conditions.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Hadanelith
Master

Post by Hadanelith »

Lago: that's more or less Frank Herbert's hypothesis in Dune. I...don't know if it's true or not, but I can see an argument to be made.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Stahlseele wrote:anybody know a good way to not have stuff burn into a plasma display? things like GUI elements from games and streams that will stay at the same position for hours on end and already leave shadowy after images after a few minutes mainly . . i can't see that being good for the display in the long run? x.x
From my experience working with OLED tablets (I assume your screen is OLED?) you can't do anything but replace it. But it doesn't do much beyond make the screen ugly, and you're probably not going to notice while watching a movie anyways.
Last edited by ...You Lost Me on Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

No, it's a 60" Plasma TV.
No OLED here sire <.<;,
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Something I've oft wondered is what the hell dark and unholy beings actually do with the souls they acquire.

Like, when someone makes a Faustian bargain with Satan, what does the Dark Beast then do with the soul he just got? Does he eat it? Staple it to his mission statement? Wear it as a condom? And when an evil god steals the souls of his/her/it's worshippers, do they just leave their souls in a bin in the closet and never touch them again, like that ugly dress aunt Frieda gave you last Christmas? Or do they use them to fuel their godly powers?
Half asleep upon my knee
LeadPal
Apprentice

Post by LeadPal »

Doctor Faustus wrote:Faust. Stay, Mephistophilis! and tell me what good
Will my soul do thy lord.
Meph. Enlarge his kingdom.
Faust. Is that the reason why he tempts us thus?
Meph. Solamen miseris socios habuisse doloris. (Misery loves company)
Faust. Why, have you any pain that torture others?
Meph. As great as have the human souls of men.
I guess it's just to have people to bitch and moan with?
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

Pre-Classically, Satan's whole deal is to tempt, accuse, and prosecute. By that metric, he takes your soul just to imprison it for the crime of trafficking with him.

Under a manichaeist outlook, I don't suppose there needs to be any utilitarian purpose for having a soul per se, besides tormenting it or whatever. Satan's evil, he delights in evil deeds, that's just how he do.

If you're developing a cosmology of greater beings that have human motivations then obviously you can ascribe a function to a captured soul. Most basic deal would be cosmic slavery and conscription to the heavenly battlefield but if you wanna run el Diablo's mecha suit on high-octain soul fuel then I guess that's your prerogative.
Last edited by Eikre on Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I'm going to completely hypothesize (because I don't actually know) that then entire point is to prevent the soul from getting back to God. The entire point of Jesus is the atonement - the "at one-ment" - the state of being at one with God. By possessing a soul, Satan dishes out the ultimate punishment - severance from God. The inability to connect with the divine is the punishment.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Well, that probably explains Satan. But what about pagan deities, or D&D/other fictional gods? I doubt very much that Orcus or some Mythos monster wants your soul to piss in Yahweh's cereal bowl.
Half asleep upon my knee
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Stahlseele wrote:anybody know a good way to not have stuff burn into a plasma display? things like GUI elements from games and streams that will stay at the same position for hours on end and already leave shadowy after images after a few minutes mainly . . i can't see that being good for the display in the long run? x.x
Change the channel at least once an hour, preferably more often. Turn it off when you're not watching it and let it cool down.

If the image changes at all, then its not burn in, which is good. Burn in is permanent and caused by damage to the phosphors. Transient image persistence is temporary and, in a Plasma screen, caused by charge build up in the pixel cells.

The bad news: The only way to prevent it is to change the channel every now and then or turn it off. Displaying static images for extended periods of time is bad. Either change the images being displayed or turn off the display altogether. It's the only way.

If you're playing a game, regularly pause it and either turn off the display or change input sources. Take this opportunity to pee or something.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Shrapnel wrote:Well, that probably explains Satan. But what about pagan deities, or D&D/other fictional gods? I doubt very much that Orcus or some Mythos monster wants your soul to piss in Yahweh's cereal bowl.
Do pagan deities use souls? Probably D&D gods do because that was copied from religion without any of the meaning behind it. So they do because they do. And there's probably a black market out there (does the BoVD have it?) where souls are treated like advanced currency and because reasons.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Maj wrote:
Shrapnel wrote:Well, that probably explains Satan. But what about pagan deities, or D&D/other fictional gods? I doubt very much that Orcus or some Mythos monster wants your soul to piss in Yahweh's cereal bowl.
Do pagan deities use souls? Probably D&D gods do because that was copied from religion without any of the meaning behind it. So they do because they do. And there's probably a black market out there (does the BoVD have it?) where souls are treated like advanced currency and because reasons.
We'll there's Odin. He has his Valkyries claim the souls of worthy dead warriors and take them to Valhala, where they divide into teams and kill each other every day and get drunk off their asses every night (truly, heaven by any measure), specifically for use as a reserve force to call on during Ragnarok.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Yeah, okay. ;)
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

>Forgetting Freyja and Fólkvangr are things

Bro, do you even norse pagan?
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

@hyzmarca
i had feared as much, thank you for confirming it nonetheless <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Stahlseele wrote:@hyzmarca
i had feared as much, thank you for confirming it nonetheless <.<
The good news is that modern plasma screen are rather resilient and you probably won't get actual permanent burn-in unless you keep the same static image on screen non-stop for a week or more.

Temporary ghosting is, of course, a more recurring problem, as you have experienced.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yeah, i did not know that there was a difference before either . .
Only got this one used a few weeks ago, before that i had an old CRT TV.
I was originally planning on jumping 1080 and getting into 4k immediately.
But 400€ for a 1 year old 65" plasma from LG . . couldn't really say no to that.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Maj wrote:I'm going to completely hypothesize (because I don't actually know) that then entire point is to prevent the soul from getting back to God. The entire point of Jesus is the atonement - the "at one-ment" - the state of being at one with God. By possessing a soul, Satan dishes out the ultimate punishment - severance from God. The inability to connect with the divine is the punishment.
The Russian Orthodox Christian teaching of heaven and hell is that you are with God after time, and if you love him, and know him, then it is bliss, and if you are allied with satan, then it burns, and is hell.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Maj wrote:I'm going to completely hypothesize (because I don't actually know) that then entire point is to prevent the soul from getting back to God. The entire point of Jesus is the atonement - the "at one-ment" - the state of being at one with God. By possessing a soul, Satan dishes out the ultimate punishment - severance from God. The inability to connect with the divine is the punishment.
Yeah, I love the whole "Hell is separation from God" concept because it sure as fuck doesn't feel like he's very present on earth, so Hell is basically a bunch of people who thought God was a tosser in life and said "to fuckery" with his laws, so rather than a place of torment, Hell is probably like Disney Vegas with more cocaine and hookers.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Something that's been gnawing at me for a bit- Why is sports watching a thing? I mean, I've never gotten sports, they just don't appeal to me (for a lot of personal baggage related issues) but I was thinking a bit ago and realized that I just literally do not understand why or how people enjoy watching sports.

I get why people might enjoy playing in the physical activity and ball-oriented games, but how is watching a bunch of adults struggle over a ball or ball-derived object something people do for entertainment? The closest I've come to understanding it is watching a long run by a quarterback on a tv at a restaurant simply curious as to whether he would actually make it. Like a really boring, non-mentally-engaging version of Mythbusters.

I mean, I'm assuming there are reasons beyond ogling physically fit members of the species, since the archetypal sports fan is a supposedly heterosexual man watching other men. So asses in tight or gauzy uniforms presumably are not the primary draw of sports.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Prak wrote:Something that's been gnawing at me for a bit- Why is sports watching a thing? I mean, I've never gotten sports, they just don't appeal to me (for a lot of personal baggage related issues) but I was thinking a bit ago and realized that I just literally do not understand why or how people enjoy watching sports.
Group identity, with a dash of this. 100% of the latter, in my case.