What if Evocation didn't suck?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Re: What if Evocation didn't suck?

Post by Judging__Eagle »

But, that's not what most DM's do.

Lots of DMs throw single really powerful monsters at their groups.

I mean, what does the following statement tell you about DMs:

"I want to throw more powerful stuff to challenge character x, but if I do it will endanger the other party members or kill them."

Seriously that's an often repeated comment on the WoTC boards by DMs. For some reason they're using single monsters and have not thought of "turn-economics" at all it seems. So, their mosnters have one turn and their PCs have a pile.

Mixed groups of monsters almost never occur, unless you're using a pre-written dungeon or the DM doesn't want to have "swingy" battles.

The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

I have a bad tendency to use single tough-ass monsters myself... I guess it's just an "easier to do the math" thing. Calculate XP for one monster instead of a group.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Judging__Eagle at [unixtime wrote:1176405011[/unixtime]]Mixed groups of monsters almost never occur, unless you're using a pre-written dungeon or the DM doesn't want to have "swingy" battles.

And that is, I think, one of the biggest problems the game faces today. You don't need hordes of monsters; a few well placed monsters can throw one two punches that would throw the effective EL of the encounter well above that of what you would expect from their relative CR scores. The best challenges can be from encounter combos.
bitnine
Journeyman

Post by bitnine »

tzor at [unixtime wrote:1176472794[/unixtime]]And that is, I think, one of the biggest problems the game faces today. You don't need hordes of monsters; a few well placed monsters can throw one two punches that would throw the effective EL of the encounter well above that of what you would expect from their relative CR scores. The best challenges can be from encounter combos.
I sort of like mixed encounter groups. Especially once the players get out of the low levels, I think it's a great opportunity to have thematically interesting and vivid combat opportunities. For example, I have a bit on the first session of one game that I ran:
The first session had the players in the tower of a keep listening to an advisor to the king. Distracted, they don't realize the keep has come under attack until the door is kicked in by a troupe of elite goblin warriors buffed and lead by a hobgoblin cleric. The party fights them back and forth out onto the wall as they observe the attacking forces in the courtyard below (including a pair of stone giants and an ogre mage) overwhelming the defenders. Once victorious they rush to aid the defenders, but have attracted the attention of the giants and ogre mage, who intercept them. Stalled for a bit and needing just a moment to heal, the party rushes to the main melee before the defenders fold. Cleverly directing the remaining defenders, they turn the tide of the battle despite heavy losses. It is just in time, as a hobgoblin commander crackling with otherworldly power (TM) arrives, fresh from almost singlehandedly cutting a swath through the defenders outside the walls.

So I generally tend to run with some amount of variation.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I've actually had encounters where the PCs kill the "head" enemy and the rest of the enemy mooks just surrender. They "were" a threat, but the PCs realized that the twenty orc barbarians were not as important as the War Troll, Mountain Troll and Ogre Mage.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

Hehehe... Ogre Mage... it's got, what, three different ways to run away? Four?
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Brobdingnagian at [unixtime wrote:1176597752[/unixtime]]Hehehe... Ogre Mage... it's got, what, three different ways to run away? Four?

Not if the entire party of 8 PCs and 3 NPC cohorts get ranged attacks on it first.

bitnine
Journeyman

Post by bitnine »

Brobdingnagian at [unixtime wrote:1176597752[/unixtime]]Hehehe... Ogre Mage... it's got, what, three different ways to run away? Four?
Heh, the funny part is that's just what was the most annoying. That particular Ogre Mage, Kagararok, was the link between the hobgoblin tribe and the party who used them to assassinate the King. A giant combat threat he was not, but he ended up slipping through the player's hands a number of times before they finally realized his importance, tracked him down, and captured him (even protecting him from would-be silencers).

Although it should be noted that that fight was the more or less a rest between the more challenging encounters. I suppose that probably doesn't say a lot of good things for the Ogre Mage.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

That's because they don't have enough hit points. Like, at all.
bitnine
Journeyman

Post by bitnine »

Brobdingnagian at [unixtime wrote:1176710716[/unixtime]]That's because they don't have enough hit points. Like, at all.
You sure it's just that? Because this one in particular was tweaked with some feats/classes and a bit more sturdy than standard. I'd tend to think that when such a chunk of your monstrous mojo is devoted to running away the DM and players end up scratching their heads and wondering wtf type of challenge is that supposed to represent. That is, unless the critter is always paired with other mobs and "I guess he got away" actually has some meaning, which ain't going to be the case all too often.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

They're just a Cone of Cold on a stick.

But Change Shape has some potential for abuse.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

So anyway, are we getting some new Evocation spells, or are we leaving each DM up to his own devices?
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Brobdingnagian at [unixtime wrote:1176876877[/unixtime]]So anyway, are we getting some new Evocation spells, or are we leaving each DM up to his own devices?

I got distracted by other things... stupid 8th and 9th level evocation spells, figuring out what's "level appropriate" when more than half the spells of that level just aren't (in both directions) is hard.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1176945166[/unixtime]]
I got distracted by other things... stupid 8th and 9th level evocation spells, figuring out what's "level appropriate" when more than half the spells of that level just aren't (in both directions) is hard.

What would we even call a benchmark spell for 8th and 9th levels?

Wail of the Banshee might be the best 9th level to use.

For 8th I'm not even sure. Everything in 8th seems to be either suck or awesome.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

I'd say frostfell seems good as a benchmark, considering that it's 8th level for Druids. (You'd think it'd be lower level for Wizards, considering that it's, I dunno, a flashy-blasty spell.) Seriously, shouldn't Wizards be outblasting Druids?

Iceberg might be a good mark, or reality maelstrom. Again, the question is whether they should be 8th or 9th.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Evocation
0th:
Elemental Fist [Acid/Cold/Electricity/Fire]
Searing Touch [Fire]

1st:
Acid Spray [Acid]
Call Flame [Fire]
Chill Gaze [Cold]
Magic Missile [Force]
Zap [Electricity]

2nd:
Chill Metal [Cold]
Elemental Ray [Acid/Cold/Electricity/Fire]

3rd:
Cone of Cold [Cold]
Dissolving Cloud [Acid]
Fireball [Fire]
Fry [Fire]
Lightning Bolt [Electricity]
Shocking Grasp [Electricity]

4th:
Breath of the North Wind [Cold]
Corrosive Touch [Acid]
Electrocute [Electricity]
Flash [Fire]
Scar the Flesh [Acid]

5th:
Dragon’s Breath [Acid/Cold/Electricity/Fire]
Elemental Bolt [Acid/Cold/Electricity/Fire]
Frigid Glance [Cold]
Inferno [Fire]
Static Cloud [Electricity]

6th:
Chain Lightning [Electricity]
Cloud of Miasma [Acid]
Freezing Mist [Cold]
Howl of the North Wind [Cold]
Ignite [Fire]

7th:
Ball of Uttercold [Cold] [Negative-Energy]
Call Fire [Fire]
Delayed Blast Fireball [Fire]
Electric Spray [Electricity]

8th:
Hellfire [Fire] [Evil]
Dissolution [Acid]

9th:
Acid Rain [Acid]
Armageddon [Fire] [Earth]
Lightning Strike [Electricity]
Spontaneous Combustion [Fire]

0th:
Elemental Fist [Fire]
Level: S/W 0
Components: V, S
Range: Personal
Duration: 1r/level
Save: None
SR: None

You magically surround your hand with a nimbus of an element of your choice (for example fire). The element deals no damage to you, but lets you make an touch attack that deals 1d6 damage of the appropriate type, or adds 1d6 damage of that element to your unarmed attacks. You count as armed for the purposes of provoking attacks of opportunity while this spell is in effect.

Searing Touch [Fire]
Level: S/W 0
Components: V, S, M
Range: Touch
Duration: Instantaneous
Save: Fort 1/2
SR: Yes

Your touch burns your opponent, inflicting 1d6/level fire damage (Fort save for half damage).

1st:
Call Flame [Fire]
Level: S/W 1
Range: Close (25' +5'/2 levels)
Effect: Cause fire to erupt in a target square
Save: Ref 1/2

With a gesture you create fire in a square of your choosing within close range. Any creature occupying that square takes 1d6/level fire damage (Ref for 1/2). This also sets fire to unattended objects and may cause your opponent to catch fire.

Zap [Electricity]
Target: One target creature

You zap one target with an electricity discharge. This attack deals 1d6/level electricity damage and makes one magic item on their person (selected at random) non-functional for 1d4 rounds. A successful reflex save halves the damage and negates the effect on the magic item.

Acid Spray [Acid]
Effect: Sprays one target with acid

You splatter one target within range with a burst of acid, inflicting 1d6/level acid damage (Ref for half). Anyone adjacent to the target takes 1 acid damage/level, and gets a reflex save to negate the damage.

Chill Gaze [Cold]
Effect: Chills one creature looked at.

You deal 1d6/level cold damage to one creature looked at (Fortitude save for half). Additionally, creatures who fail their save are unable to draw a weapon or accessible item as part of a move action (effect lasts 1 round). (Creatures with quickdraw cannot use their feat for 1 round instead).

Magic Missile [Force]
As the PHB magic missile spell, except it is uncapped.

2nd:
Elemental Ray
Level: S/W 2
Range: Ray at med range (100' + 10'/level)

Choose an element (Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire). As a ranged touch attack you inflict 1d6/level damage of that elemental type to a target. Elemental ray is an Acid, Cold, Electricity, or Fire spell as appropriate to the type of damage chosen.

Chill Metal [Cold]
Level: S/W 2, Dru 2
Effect: One metal object in contact with a chosen opponent gets cold
Duration: 1 round
Save: Fort partial

You gesture at an opponent with an item significantly composed of metal. Its temperature rapidly plunges, until at the start of your next turn it deals 1d6/level cold damage. If this item can be easily dropped, they drop it. If this item is worn and significantly in contact with them (ie, metal armor), the damage receives a +1 bonus per die. They receive a fortitude save to halve the damage and negate dropping the item (if relevant). If they drop or remove the item before the start of your turn (and are not holding or wearing it at the start of your turn), they take no damage.

3rd:
Fire Ball [Fire]
As the PHB fireball spell, except it is uncapped.

Fry [Fire]
Level: S/W 3

Your touch causes your opponents blood to boil. Your opponent takes 1d6/level fire damage, and is nauseated for 1 round/level unless he succeeds at a fortitude save.

Lightning Bolt [Electricity]
As the PHB lightning bolt spell, except it is uncapped.

Shocking Grasp [Electricity]

Your touch sends a jolt of electricity through a touched creature, dealing 1d6/level electricity damage. Additionally, the target is stunned 1 round unless they pass a fortitude save.

Dissolving Cloud [Acid]
Range: Close (25’ + 5’/2 levels)
Area: 20’x20’x20’ cloud

You create a cloud of corrosive acid mist emanating from a point anywhere within range, and expanding outward evenly in all directions to fill the defined volume. The cloud deals 1d6/level acid damage to all creatures and unattended objects in the cloud (Ref for half).

The cloud may dissolve interposing objects, such as doors or walls – if it does so it continues to expand through any such openings to the limits of its volume. Otherwise it stops at the barrier.

Cone of Cold [Cold]
Range: 60’
Area: Cone-shaped burst

Cone of cold creates an area of extreme cold, originating at your hand and extending outward in a cone. It drains heat, dealing 1d6 points of cold damage per caster level.

4th:
Flash [Fire]
Level: S/W 4
Range: Med (100' + 10'/level)
Save: Ref partial
SR: No

You cause a bright flash of flame to occur in any square within medium range. Any creature occupying that square takes 1d6/level fire damage (Ref 1/2). Any creature within 10' of the flash take 1/2 damage. All creatures effected by it are also blinded for 5 rounds and dazzled for 10 rounds afterwards. Creatures effected are entitled to a reflex save to avoid the blindness - any creature in the targetted square makes 1 reflex save roll for both effects. (Succeeding in avoiding being blinded causes you to only be dazzled for 10 rounds).

Electrocute [Electricity]
Range: Med (100’ + 10’/CL)
Effect: Ray

The target of your ranged touch attack takes 1d6/level damage and is dazed 1d6 rounds. A successful fortitude save negates the daze effect.

Corrosive Touch [Acid]

Your touch dissolves anything it touches, including metal, cloth, and even fleshed. If you attack a creature, it inflicts 1d6/level acid damage to both the creature and an item worn by the creature (as defined below), half with a reflex save. If you touch an unattended object, it receives no saving throw and the acid damage ignores hardness. You may also make a sunder attempt with corrosive touch, roll a sunder check normally, but deal damage as per the spell.

To determine which item is effected, follow the following set of priorities: If the creature is carrying a shield, that is effected. If it has no shield but is wearing armor, the armor is effected. If it has no shield or armor, its backpack is effected. If none of the previous apply, its clothing, if any, is effected. If none of those apply, no item is effected. Resolve the acid damage as normal against the item, but magic items receive a fortitude save to avoid taking any damage (using the item’s saving throw modifier). If the creature makes its reflex save, damage to the item is also halved.

Scar the Flesh [Acid]

You splash a creature with acid, dealing 1d6/level acid damage and 2d6 charisma damage. A successful reflex save halves both.

Breath of the North Wind [Cold]
Effect: One target

You exhale an icy breath with the force of the north winds. Your target must be within close range and there must be no obstructions between you and your target (ie, your target cannot have cover relative to you), including other creatures. Your target takes 1d6/level cold damage (Fortitude for 1/2 damage) and you may make a free bullrush check against him except you roll d20 + Caster Level + size modifier instead of the normal strength check. Your size modifier is calculated as your size +1 increment larger per 5 caster levels. You may only move your target directly away from you, but may move him beyond the limits of the spell’s range. If your target hits another object before completing his movement, he takes 1d6 impact damage per 5’ not moved.

5th:
Elemental Bolt
Level: S/W 5
Range: Ray at Med (100' + 10'/level)

You make a ranged touch attack against an opponent. If you hit, he takes 2d6/level damage of an element of your choice (decided when you cast the spell). Elemental bolt is a spell of the Acid, Cold, Electricity, or Fire type based upon the damage it deals.

Inferno [Fire]
Area: 40' radius emanation centered on you

You cause the area around you to become a raging inferno. Anyone (besides the caster) in the area of effect or moving through it takes 6d6 fire damage each round and must hold their breath or risk drowning. In addition, everyone in the area (including the caster) has concealment (20% miss chance). Unattended items may catch fire - treat the inferno as intense sustained flames. The inferno moves with you, but items that have caught fire follow the normal rules for burning even after they have left the area.

Dragon's Breath
Components: S, M
Range: 60' Cone

You breathe your choice of a cone 60' long and 60' wide at the base or a line 120’ long and 5’ wide. This breath is composed of your choice of element (Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire). Both choices are decided when you cast the spell. All creatures within the area take 2d6/level damage of the chosen element, 1/2 with a successful Ref save. Dragon’s breath is an Acid, Cold, Electricity, or Fire spell depending on the type of damage chosen.

Static Cloud [Electricity]
Area: 40' radius emanation centered on you

You cause the area around you to become a cloud crackling with electric charge. Anyone (besides the caster) in the area of effect or moving through it takes 6d6 electricity damage each round and if they take any electricity damage they must make a fort save or be dazed 1 round. In addition, everyone in the area (including the caster) has concealment (20% miss chance). The static cloud moves with you, but dazed creatures remain dazed until the effect ends.

Frigid Glance [Cold]
Components: S
Target: 1 creature/caster level

You can freeze the blood of multiple creatures just by looking at them. Up to 1 creature per caster level, all of which must be within close range and within a 180 degree arc from you, take 1d6/level cold damage and are slowed as the spell (lasts 1 round/caster level). A fortitude save halves the cold damage and the duration of the slow.

The slow effect is non-magical and caused by the extreme cold, standing near a large heat source (such as a bonfire) causes its duration to expire twice as quickly.

6th:
Ignite [Fire]
Level: S/W 6
Range: Med (100' + 10'/level)
Save: Ref Partial

You ignite any one creature within range. That creature takes 2d6/level fire damage and catches on fire (Ref to avoid catching on fire) - Creatures who catch on fire because of this spell must check for all carried or worn items each round they are on fire.

Chain Lightning [Electricity]
As the PHB spell, except it deals 2d6/level damage and is uncapped.

Cloud of Miasma [Acid]
Area: 40’ radius emanation centered on you

You create an acidic cloud of noxious vapors centered on you. The cloud moves with you and has all the effects of an obscuring mist spell (except it can’t be blown away by wind or burned away by a fire spells), and additionally inflicts 8d6 Acid damage to all creatures inside it or moving through it (except the caster). Any creature (except the caster) in the cloud is additionally nauseated (a successful fortitude save reduces this to sickened) for as long as they’re in the cloud + 1d4 rounds.

Freezing Mist [Cold]
Area: 40’ radius emanation centered on you

You create a cloud of freezing mist centered on you. The cloud moves with you and has all the effects of an obscuring mist spell (except it can’t be blown away by wind or burned away by a fire spells), and additionally inflicts 8d6 Cold damage to all creatures inside it or moving through it (except the caster). Any creature (except the caster) in the cloud who takes any cold damage is additionally slowed as the spell each round they take damage (a fortitude save is allowed each such round - a successful fortitude save causes the creature to instead become fatigued – if a fatigued creature is again fatigued they become exhausted). Creatures who leave the cloud slowed become fatigued (creatures who leave slowed and fatigued become exhausted). Fatigued and exhausted conditions last until removed normally.

Howl of the North Wind [Cold]
Area: 25’ across centered on you x 10’/CL away from you

You call down the mighty north wind itself, which manifests as a corridor of frigid shrieking gales which attempts to freeze everyone in the area. Choose a line away from you as the center of the corridor, and the effect extends 10’/CL. All creatures within the effected area take 1d6/level cold damage and are frozen in place (treat as helpless, requires a DC 24 Str Check to break free, but are considered to have DR 10/- that stacks with any DR the creature has) for 1d6+1 rounds. Making the strength check to break free requires a full round action, but every creature is also entitled to one check immediately following the casting of the spell. A Fortitude Save halves the required strength DC.

The presence of a large fire halves the damage and required strength DC to all characters within 10’ of it. (Such creatures that make their save are not frozen). A large fire can also be used to thaw frozen creatures out, reduce the str DC by half for 5 rounds of exposure (freed if they made their save), and free the creatures after 10 rounds. Spells which deal fire damage deal only half damage and instantly free the creature.

Any creature who takes no cold damage from the spell is not frozen.

7th:
Delayed Blast Fireball [Fire]
As PHB spell except deals 2d6/level damage.

Call Fire [Fire]
Level: S/W 7
Effect: Cause fire to erupt in 1 square per caster level

As call flame, except it deals 2d6/level fire damage and you may target multiple squares within close range.

Electric Spray [Electricity]
Range: Med (100’ + 10’/level)
Effect: up to 1 ray/CL
Save: Fort Partial

Make one ranged touch attack per enemy, up to 1/CL total rays. If there are more enemies than available rays, you choose which enemies are effected. (No enemy may be targeted more than once). On a successful ranged touch attack each enemy takes 2d6/level electricity damage. In addition, they are stunned for 1d4+1 rounds and sickened for 2d6 rounds following that. A successful Fortitude save negates the stunning (but they are still sickened for 2d6 rounds).

Ball of Uttercold [Cold]
Range: long (400’ + 40’/level)
Effect: 20’ radius spread centered on target point.
Save: Fort Partial.

Similar to fireball, except it deals 2d6/level damage (1/2 cold and 1/2 negative energy), inflicts 1d4 negative levels to all damaged creatures, and slows all damaged creatures one round. Creatures get a fortitude save to ignore the slow effect and halve the damage.

8th:
Hellfire [Fire] [Evil] [mind-affecting]
Level: S/W 8
Area: 10'/CL emanation centered on you
Save: Will Partial, Ref 1/2
SR: Partial

You open up the gates of hell itself, channelling fire from that dark dimension into your own. Everyone around you (excluding yourself) is seared by dark flames that deal 2d6/level damage (1/2 fire and 1/2 unholy), 1/2 with a successful reflex save. In addition, any creature damaged by the flames must make a Will save or be effected as a fear spell, except the effect penetrates any protections which prevent mind-affecting spells from effecting a creature so long as they have an intelligence score. (ie, a golem is still immune, but an undead Lich is not). Creatures for whom the caster fails the SR check are immune to the fear effect, but not the damage.

(Good creatures fear for their souls, evil creatures feel castigated for their shortcomings).

Dissolution [Acid]
Effect: Materializes acid about 1 target creature/level

This spell inflicts 2d6/level acid damage and a number of points of charisma damage equal to your caster level. A successful reflex save halves both effects.

9th:
Armageddon [Fire] [Earth]
Level: S/W 9
Range: 1 mile
Area: 20'/level radius spread

You rain destruction down from the heavens, bombarding the area with burning meteors and dealing 3d6/level to all within the area of effect (Ref save for 1/2). This damage is half fire damage and half bludgeoning damage. The spell may cause structures and items to catch fire, and can damage or destroy structures in the area.

Spontaneous Combustion [Fire]
Range: Close (25' + 5'/2 levels)
Effect: 1 target/level

You inflict 3d6/level fire damage to each target (fort save for 1/2). Any target reduced below 0 hp by this damage is instantly killed (if still alive - no save) and turned to ashes. (This precludes any method of resurrection that requires a body or part of the body).

Lightning Strike [Electricity]
Range: Close (25' + 5'/2 levels)
Effect: all enemies within range

You call down a series of lightning strikes – one per target, preceeded by a loud crack of thunder. This spell works even underground (the electricity jumps from the floor to the ceiling). All targets take 2d6/level electricity damage and are fatigued, knocked prone, stunned for 2d6 rounds, sickened for 1d4 hours, and deafened for 1d6 days. Flying creatures are stalled instead of being knocked prone (resolve their falling immediately). A successful reflex save halves the damage and negates the being knocked prone and the stunning.

Check SR independently for all creatures effected – failing to penetrate SR only prevents that creature from being effected by the spell (which otherwise resolves normally).

Acid Rain [Acid]
Area: 1 mile radius centered on you

You create a brief torrential downpour of acidic rain in a 1 mile radius area centered on you. This storm inflicts 8d6 acid damage each round to all everything in the area, including objects, structures, creatures, and plants. This acid damage ignores the hardness of any objects or structures. Creatures in water take 1/2 damage. Creatures at least 50’ beneath the water surface can ignore the spell entirely. Note that the caster is affected by the spell normally.

In addition, anyone who takes acid damage from the spell is nauseated, reduced to sickened with a successful fortitude save.

Acid rain will generally kill any normal animals, will reduce even tall trees to pitted stumps, and turn stone castles to slag. Casting the spell almost certainly earns the enmity of any druids in the area as well as any rulers or good-aligned adventurers.

Notes: Its missing some high level cold spells, and possibly an acid and lightning spell. It doesn't have many force spells yet - though some of those will be straight from the PHB (eg, Wall of Force). Doesn't have any light or darkness spells at present. But that's what I have so far. Thoughts? (spells insufficiently awesome for their level, too awesome for their level, etc...?) Suggestions also welcome.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

squirreloid wrote:Dissolution [Acid]
Effect: Materializes acid about 1 target creature/level

This spell inflicts 2d6/level acid damage and a number of points of charisma damage equal to your caster level. A successful reflex save halves both effects.

Cha damage equal to caster level is pretty bad. Charisma 0 means that the character is withdrawn into a catatonic, coma-like stupor, helpless. And that just sucks for anybody who doesn't use Cha as a primary stat.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Yep, at the level you get it, it's an instagib on anyone who dumped Cha & lacks SR.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Ability damage in general is just a bad mechanic.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

How about an Ability Penalty instead?

Make it last a while, but make it large.

If they survive, they can wait for the spell to simply wear off. If not, you kill them while their catatonic.

Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

The issue is 'save or die' vs. 'save and die.'

With Evocation there's always the option of HP death even with a successful save. That's fine, because HP scale. Charisma doesn't scale unless you're a sorcerer, and so even small amounts of charisma damage (or penalty, which is even more deadly) can kill arbitrarily powerful creatures.

[edit]Oh, and nice job writing up all those spells![/edit]
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

So obviously stat damage should be a 'you must be this tall' and not a level-scaling effect.

-Crissa
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Catharz at [unixtime wrote:1177036598[/unixtime]]The issue is 'save or die' vs. 'save and die.'

With Evocation there's always the option of HP death even with a successful save. That's fine, because HP scale. Charisma doesn't scale unless you're a sorcerer, and so even small amounts of charisma damage (or penalty, which is even more deadly) can kill arbitrarily powerful creatures.

Against people with PC classes, it's not quite *that* bad--if you've taken all your free stat pumps from the <i>wish</i> economy and you make your save, you'll survive unless you started with a Charisma of 3, even at 20th level. I haven't done a comprehensive scan of high-level monsters, but similar things seem to be true of dragons...

Two problems:
1. Two or three of them autokill just about anything that doesn't have evasion (of course, if you're in Frank+K land where evasion is handed out like candy, this is much less of an issue)
2. In order to survive a failed save against an nth-level opponent, you need to have started with a Charisma of at least n-6 (assuming you only take your free pumps). So a character with a starting Charisma of 9 is substantially better off against a 15th-level evoker than a fighter with a starting Charisma of 8--this is an annoying discontinuity right in the middle of where you expect peoples' dump stats to be.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Instead of say changing it to an ability penalty, howabout just make it to where you don't take the charisma damage at all unless they fail the save? That way if they fail it still wrecks them, but if they save they won't still be auto gibbed if they didn't jack up their charisma.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

The nonscaling on the Inferno style spells hurts. What if it was 1/2CLd6?

Also ignite would slow the game to a crawl.

Overall it looks good. Personally I'd make all the ones with multiple energy types seperate spells. Fire mages should use fire or non-elemental spells if absolutely necessary. Fluffwise it would be lame if they switched to cold attacks when fire immune creatures showed up.