Major Weapons

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Cynic
Prince

Re: Major Weapons

Post by Cynic »

Aktariel at [unixtime wrote:1201234576[/unixtime]]Hey - he's right.

Now we just need to add mechanics for cutting souls.

"You die. Now. No save. And you don't go to afterlife. You lose."

What's that metal called -- thinaeum? That could be used.

works in F&K with the use of souls as currency or as part of spells.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Re: Major Weapons

Post by Aktariel »

Thinaun.

Except that thinaun only holds one soul at a time (From Complete Wasteoftime... I mean, Warrior.)
<something clever>
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Hat of Dragon Slaying:
Anyone with hands is considered proficient, as a hat is just waved about.
Reach: normal
Damage: 1d6 bludgeoning damage per 2 levels, plus STR mod.
Critical Hit: 20 x3

Special:
Dragon-Slayer: Every time it strikes a dragon, the hat instead deals 1d6 damage per level, plus STR mod. Additionally, dragons hit by this weapon are unable to fly or use their breath weapons for 5 rounds. There is no saving throw against this effect.

Invisibility From Dragons: Once per hour, the hat may project a Sphere of Invisibility effect, however those in the area are only invisible to dragons.

Stylish: The wearer enjoys a +4 bullshit bonus to Diplomacy checks while wearing this stylish hat, along with a +2 bullshit bonus to Bluff and Disguise (as the target is distracted by the stylish hat).

Shame: Should any dragon be knocked unconscious or killed by the hat, they suffer from a deep shame. They no longer have the right to be called a dragon, changing their type to Magical Beast. They lose the immunity to sleep and paralysis, and are affected by a Crushing Despair effect until they either kill the wielder, destroy the hat or have a Wish used to remove the shame. Seriously, they got defeated with a hat.

&#1050;&#1085;&#1091;&#1090;, the Whip of Dragon Slaying:
Proficiency: Whips
Reach: 5-15'
Damage: 1d6 bludgeoning/slashing damage per 2 levels, plus STR mod.
Critical Hit: 20 x2

Special:
Being a proper Russian knout, there is none of this "nonlethal damage, it provokes to use it, and armour ignores it" nonsense. It will tear flesh away with ease, or pulverise the bones.

Dragon Slayer: Against dragons, this weapon deals 1d6 damage per level, plus the STR modifier. Additionally, the dragon is unable to use its breath weapon or flight for three rounds upon getting hit. There is no save against this effect.

Kinky: You gain a +4 bullshit bonus to Diplomacy when dealing with clerics of Loviatar or other people in the BDSM realm, but a +4 bullshit bonus to Intimidate with everyone else.

Blood Spray: Every time damage is dealt to something that can bleed, this weapon causes a spray of blood, complete with bits of muscle hanging from the exposed wires in it. The target must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + half your level + your STR mod) or be nauseated for 1 round, and all other targets must make a Will save (same DC) or be sickened for 3 rounds.

*&#1050;&#1085;&#1091;&#1090; is apparently Russian for "whip". I used a dodgy online translator though.

Special: Anyone who possesses both of the above weapons at the same time gains a +4 bullshit bonus to hit and damage dragons, and all enemies take a -3 morale penalty to strike the wielder.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Hey. Koumei. Nice hat. :lol:
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

But Thinaun holds 1 soul.. per.. what? Per item? Per pound, or liter, or fistfull?
Was there more about thinaun in the entry?

IMO souls should be, as any incorporeal object, stuffed up to billions-strong into a single marble, given that they lack substance and mass.
However in any setting concerning the 'afterlife', one could ascribe properties and limitations to pretty much any immaterial thing.
Say, "1 soul may be compacted to roughly 3 cubic centimeters but retains the same mass of X lbs."

And that is indeed a nice hat, Koumei.
Everyone enjoys a nice bullshit bonus every now and then.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Vierhander [Two-handed]
Proficiency: Greatsword and/or Greataxe
Reach: 5-10'
Damage: 3d6 slashing for a medium creature
Critical Hit: 20/x3

Special: When you wield this weapon in four hands, you add three times your strength modifier and this weapon's enhancement bonus to damage. Against opponents which you have The Edge over, you add five times your strength modifier and this weapon's enhancement bonus to damage.

Any creature you hit with this weapon that is smaller than you must make a reflex save or fall prone. The save DC is 10+ 1/2 your level + STR mod + this weapon's enhancement bonus.

Sword-chucks [Double-weapon]
Proficiency: Nunchaku, Shortsword, Flail, Longsword, Scimitar
Reach: 5'
Damage: 1d8 + 1d6 1/2 levels slashing, piercing
Critical: 17-20/x2

Special: You are just as dangerous to yourself as you are to everyone else. You only need to beat your AC to hit any opponent you have The Edge over.

But when you miss, you hit yourself and take damage.
Last edited by the_taken on Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Well, Oosik/Usik makes amazing dagger handles from what I've read. Not...spear heads.

In a Wired article a few years ago, some blade smith was going to forge a super custom version of the sort of knife that Beowulf might have used.

The alloying and forging proccess was designed with science and would deeply bite into Katana steel.

The base material for the metal was supposed to be meteoric steel (b/c it sounds cooler and would command a higher price among collectors).

The handle was to be made of Usik; a material that doesn't get water or even salt-water damaged and has a very reliable grip, so it's good for Darrgon-Slayingz.

They also were gonna have some 'big-name' knife smith make the knife; to sell the product for more.

The idea was that the research group that was working on the alloying process were going to get this Knife-of-Awesome made to then sell to a collector in order to keep their reasearch funded.

I'm a bit sketchy on the details, it's been a while.

Gives me an idea though.

Dagger of Dargon-Slaying [One-Handed]

...it's got a +5 against Dragons!

Proficiency: Daggers
Reach: melee
Damage: 1d4 piercing or slashing for a medium creature
Critical Hit: 19-20/x2

This simple looking dagger is made with a smooth bone handle and it's blade has a crude etching on it. The etching is of a figure stabbing at a massive serpent that has encoiled the figure.

The blade is extremely sharp for such a crude looking blade and the handle fits right into your hand, even if it seemed a bit too small before you wrapped your fingers around it.

Special: You count as if you are five levels higher when you are within charging range of a Dragon that is Hostile to you (the dragon is able to charge you, not you able to charge it).

Your BaB and Saves all count as if you are five levels higher. You may only apply these if you are attacking a hostile Dragon that you are within the charging range of or if such a Dragon uses an effect that would force you to make a Saving Throw.

Additionally you count as if you had the class abilities of the class you took at first level as if your character were Five levels higher in that class.

These newly granted class abilities can only be used against the hostile Dragon and do not work against any other targets.

You always have The Edge when facing a dragon in combat, whether it is hostile to you or not.

I was going to make it +9 levels ("...It's got a +9 against Ogres!" and all that) ...but +5 levels is more reasonable I think.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Judging__Eagle wrote: The alloying and forging proccess was designed with science and would deeply bite into Katana steel.
IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!1111one

But seriously, does this have anything to do with the guy who rediscovered how to make Damascus steel back in th '90s?
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Honestly? No clue.

They used some sort of crystalline structure for the metal in the blade, or something.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Someone mentioned this thread recently, which caused me to decide it's time to add some more. Now for a Diablo 2 style set!

Armour of the Exterminator
Heavy armour
Armour Bonus: +10 (+5 against touch attacks)
Max Dex: +1
Armour check penalty: -6
ASF: 60%

Special:
So bulky is this armour that it provides the benefits of the Powerful Build trait. Additionally, it grants extra force behind blows, increasing the multiplier of power attack (assuming it is being used) by 1 (for instance, regular PA becomes +2 damage for each -1 to hit, a two-handed weapon becomes +3 per -1, a two-handed leap-attack weapon becomes +4 per -1 and a six-handed weapon becomes +7 per -1).

Also, this armour provides additional protection to vital organs. It has a 60% chance of negating any critical hit (resulting in normal damage), sneak attack, ability damage/drain, death effect or negative level. If the attack used to deliver the effect/damage was a touch attack, the chance of negation is only 30%.

Helm of the Exterminator
Uses the helmet/hat/circlet "slot".
Adds 5% Arcane Spell Failure

Special:
This filters air and protects the entire head and throat, thus providing immunity to silence, deafening, blindness and gases. Furthermore, it enhances vision, providing low-light vision and dark vision out to 120'.

Also, the baleful glare of the ruby eyes grants a gaze attack. All who approach within 30' must make a Will save (Charisma-based) or cower for 1 round, then be shaken for 1 minute. Any given person is only affected once per day.

Finally, this may be combined with the Armour of Extermination, providing the following benefits:
+2 to the armour bonus (+1 against touch attacks)
+10% to the negation of critical hits etc. (even against touch attacks)

Ghost-Powered Boots of the Exterminator
Uses the footwear "slot".
To utilise the kick attacks without penalty, either proficiency with natural weapons or the Improved Unarmed Strike feat is needed.

Special:
These help lift the body and other evenly-adjusted weight, although they are bulky in their own right. No movement penalty is suffered for wearing Medium or Heavy armour, however the wearer still cannot run in heavy armour.

2 kick attacks are gained with these soul-infused boots, dealing 2d6+Str bludgeoning damage and forcing a Fortitude save (Str-based) against being knocked prone. They threaten on a 20 and deal double damage on a critical hit. A "free" kick attack may be made as an immediate action against any adjacent foe who is knocked prone by anyone other than yourself.

Trample: The Trample ability is gained, dealing 1d6 damage per 2 levels and forcing a Fortitude save (Strength-based) against being dazed for one round.

When worn with the Armour of Extermination, the following benefits are gained:
+2 to the armour bonus (+1 against touch attacks)
+5% to the negation ability (even against touch attacks)

"Rip" and "Tear", the Exterminating Gauntlets

These are two weapons. The stats given are for a single one, though they are designed to be used as a pair.

Proficiency: claws, spiked gauntlets or Improved Unarmed Strike
Reach: 5'
Damage: 1d6 per 2 levels, plus double your Strength modifier. The damage is bludgeoning and electric.
Critical: 20/x2

Special:
The claws in these gauntlets are designed for grasping foes, latching on and crushing them. The Improved Grab ability is applied to them.

When choosing to deal damage in a grapple, as long as you succeed on the grapple check, the gauntlet deals automatic damage (without any Power Attack), as well as an additional 4d6 piercing/slashing damage from the whirling teeth that jut out of the palms.

When a foe escapes from a grapple, the teeth latch on and tear at their flesh, dealing an additional 4d8 piercing/slashing damage, plus 2 Constitution damage.

The gauntlets contain lightning and trapped ghosts, and these can be used to launch small bolts of energy. Ten magic missiles can be launched at once, as per the spell, as a standard action. There is no limit to these.

As a pair, both can be used at once - dealing damage for each in a grapple, and to an escaping foe. Likewise, the full twenty magic missiles can be fired each round as a standard action.

If the entire set of Exterminator Armour is worn, including the gauntlets, additional benefits are granted:

Damage Reduction equal to your BAB, negated by nothing.
+2 to the DC of your gaze attack.
The ability to teleport 50' without error as a move action at will.
A +4 enhancement bonus to Strength.

No prize is awarded to the person who can name the source of this gear.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I'm playing dress-up on a private server for an mmorpg that has 'many' players. A friend of mine set it up and I'm seeing all sorts of pretty items.

I think that I might even do some level 20 (out of more than 60 levels) quests just b/c the item rewards look cool. For 'stats', I wear invisible gear (i.e. gear that doesn't show up on my character) . So playing dress up is perfectly possible, regardless of how mechanically useless an item is.

I don't think I'm really that much of a power gamer now. I mean, I'm playing dress up! Sure, I've got 'mad' stats, but really you only need to wear say.... 4 of the +999 to all stats items to be pretty much immune to everything that you see; all 15 items is mega-overkill.

My guy has a glowy halo 'hat'; and red/bronze armour, and a big spear/polearm. Yes, the shoulder armour is big, bulky, and has spikes. :roll:

The one thing that I notice is that when playing dress-up, is that I get ideas as to what a weapon or item should do, just by looking at it.

So, the sword with a glowing green line running up and down its length, should obviously deal acid damage. While the sword made out of curved lengths of metal should deal some sort of 'vibration' or 'sound' damage, since it looks like a curved tuning fork, with one of the forks 'sharpened'.

Basically, turn illogical weapon or armour designs into special weapons or armours.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Tue May 27, 2008 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

I borrowed my cousin's PS2 and Odin Sphere.

Interesting game.

One of the more salient features is that you can suck out the Phozons (think pyroflies or lifestream or some other weird stuff people turn into when they die from the Final Fantasy games) that appear from dead enemies, to make your weapon stronger.

So as long as you remember to suck up Phozons before you leave, you have a weapon that continues to get stronger.

And the "Psypher" weapons wielded by the main characters are a spear, a two-handed-sword, a crossbow, a smaller sword, and a chain.

Sorta ironic that a game with ever-improving weapons comes up after I re-read this thread.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Thread Necromancy Powers...

ACTIVATE!

Plane of Force:
For the purposes of proficiency, this counts as a Long Sword, Battle Axe, or Scimitar. Select which whenever you pick it up.
Reach: Melee
Damage: 1d20 slashing damage per 6 levels. Strength modifier still applies. Cannot be wielded with more than one hand.
Critical Hit: 18-20 x2

Special:
A Plane of Force ignores Natural Armor and Non-Magical Armor/Shields.

A Plane of Force ignores hardness and bypasses material damage reduction.

On a confirmed critical threat(roll to confirm even against a creature immune to critical hits) the creature struck must pass a fortitude save or lose a limb as if the weapon had the Sharpness special quality.

A Plane of Force is a Force affect and thus can strike Incorporeal and Ethereal targets without the miss chance normally inherent in attacking something Incorporeal or Ethereal.

Amphisbaena:
For the purposes of proficiency, this counts as a morning star or a spiked chain. Select which whenever you pick it up.
Reach(M): 5’-10’ threatens
Damage: 1d6 piercing damage per 2 levels.
Critical Hit: 18-20 x2

Special:
Two Headed: Can be used as a double weapon with 5’ reach.

Poison: Initial and Secondary Damage is 1d6 Con per 4 levels; Fort Save DC10+½ HD+½ BAB.

Death Gaze: During the Full Moon you can aim the two heads of the snake as a full-round action and force any 2 creatures within 30ft. to make a Fort Save(DC10+½ HD+Cha Mod) or die. When not under the full moon you can use this power to Confuse instead of kill. The snake’s lantern-like eyes also function as a pair of bullseye lanterns that require no oil and can be used under water.

Bite Footprints*: You can attack the ground in any square a creature moved through on their last turn in order to inflict base weapon damage, but not poison, on that creature. You can also harm a creature in this manner if you have a clear and complete footprint belonging to the target, regardless of how old it is or how far away the creature is.

Spit Venom: As a Swift action you may take a ranged touch attack against any two creatures within 30ft., if you succeed these creatures are blinded for one minute.

*I didn’t find any reference to this in the mythology, though I didn’t look very hard, but I’m including it because angelfromanotherpin suggested it.

This is a really cool idea Koumei had and more people should contribute.
Last edited by Calibron on Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

For the Bite Footprints...
You can also harm a creature in this manner if you have a clear and complete footprint to target, regardless of how old it is or how far away the creature is.
Is there a word missing there? Should it be "clear and complete footprint belonging to the target"?
He jumps like a damned dragoon, and charges into battle fighting rather insane monsters with little more than his bare hands and rather nasty spell effects conjured up solely through knowledge and the local plantlife. He unerringly knows where his goal lies, he breathes underwater and is untroubled by space travel, seems to have no limits to his actual endurance and favors killing his enemies by driving both boots square into their skull. His agility is unmatched, and his strength legendary, able to fling about a turtle shell big enough to contain a man with enough force to barrel down a near endless path of unfortunates.

--The horror of Mario

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath. He is a terrible person and a hack at writing and art. His cultural contributions are less than Justin Bieber's, and he's a shitmuffin. Go go gadget Googlebomb!
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Yes. I do that fairly often actually. My brain outruns my fingers and I don't catch it during my shoddy self-editing.
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

Caliborn wrote:Yes. I do that fairly often actually. My brain outruns my fingers and I don't catch it during my shoddy self-editing.
Perfectly understandable. Happens to me all the time.
He jumps like a damned dragoon, and charges into battle fighting rather insane monsters with little more than his bare hands and rather nasty spell effects conjured up solely through knowledge and the local plantlife. He unerringly knows where his goal lies, he breathes underwater and is untroubled by space travel, seems to have no limits to his actual endurance and favors killing his enemies by driving both boots square into their skull. His agility is unmatched, and his strength legendary, able to fling about a turtle shell big enough to contain a man with enough force to barrel down a near endless path of unfortunates.

--The horror of Mario

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath. He is a terrible person and a hack at writing and art. His cultural contributions are less than Justin Bieber's, and he's a shitmuffin. Go go gadget Googlebomb!
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Big Stick:
For the purposes of proficiency, this counts as a club.
Damage: 1d6 bludgeoning damage per 2 levels+1d6 if Large, 2d6 if Huge, 4d6 if Gargantuan, ect., ect..
Critical Hit: x5

Special:
Big: A Big Stick increases the wielder’s size by one category(as if they had gained enough HD to increase size). A Big Stick does not come in sizes smaller than large and resists all effects that would reduce it below large size.

Speak Softly: Simply having a Big Stick in your possession causes all [Sonic] effects within medium range of you to do minimum damage, or if they don’t do damage then they have their DCs reduced by 2.

Convincing: Having a Big Stick in your possession gives you a bonus to Intimidate equal to half your level and allows you to use Intimidate checks in place of Diplomacy checks.
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

Caliborn wrote:Big Stick:
For the purposes of proficiency, this counts as a club.
Damage: 1d6 bludgeoning damage per 2 levels+1d6 if Large, 2d6 if Huge, 4d6 if Gargantuan, ect., ect..
Critical Hit: x5

Special:
Big: A Big Stick increases the wielder’s size by one category(as if they had gained enough HD to increase size). A Big Stick does not come in sizes smaller than large and resists all effects that would reduce it below large size.

Speak Softly: Simply having a Big Stick in your possession causes all [Sonic] effects within medium range of you to do minimum damage, or if they don’t do damage then they have their DCs reduced by 2.

Convincing: Having a Big Stick in your possession gives you a bonus to Intimidate equal to half your level and allows you to use Intimidate checks in place of Diplomacy checks.
Plus-fucken-one.

--The horror of Mario

Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

:D Heh.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I'm not sure what to think of these weapons.

I mean, Tome warrior types already seem good enough without adding ridiculous awesome weapons on top of that. That said, Book of Gears stuff is also really good.

I guess I'd just sorta like it if they expanded more...laterally.
Last edited by Surgo on Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Think of it this way. Warriors are getting the weaker of these weapons instead of, or as an improvement over, weapons that, on every hit, force a save against negative levels, becoming staggered, losing a limb or more than one of these or similar conditions. The stronger of these weapons are being taken up instead of weapons that force a save versus effective death on every hit. I don't think that's too much of a power disparity, besides, these weapons are cooler than plain old magic swords by several orders of magnitude.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

My actual problem's actually that no one's classifying any of those into said power levels.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Feel free to volunteer your ideas on that problem. Regardless of whether they end up getting use or not they'll provide a platform to work off of.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Caliborn wrote:Think of it this way. Warriors are getting the weaker of these weapons instead of, or as an improvement over, weapons that, on every hit, force a save against negative levels, becoming staggered, losing a limb or more than one of these or similar conditions. The stronger of these weapons are being taken up instead of weapons that force a save versus effective death on every hit. I don't think that's too much of a power disparity, besides, these weapons are cooler than plain old magic swords by several orders of magnitude.
Okay, I seriously have no idea what you just said. Seriously. Can you possibly explain it in different words?