Websites that make you cheer, do a backflip, or both

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

Obama does not have the voice for those lines. AT ALL. It is, of course, hilarious.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Boolean wrote:Speaking of which, about a month ago I think, someone linked a Pride & Prejudice RPG?

Not that one book, but a Regency Romance game. Stats were angst, hatred, and oldness or something...

Characters could fight duels, declare love and slowly go crazy...

does this ring a bell?
That would work amazingly well for an Troll Wars RPG wherein you roleplay as a bunch of nerds arguing on a forum. :bored:
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Sigma, I've played that game. It's quite addictive, if frustrating at times. You don't need rules though, it works well freeform. Here, I'll show you.

SKUB SUCKS

JE: that looks awesome

Frank: Oh, exploitable!
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Release The Obamabot.

-Username17
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Finding this online made me giddy. {Ok, nerdy}
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Koumei wrote:Sigma, I've played that game. It's quite addictive, if frustrating at times. You don't need rules though, it works well freeform. Here, I'll show you.

SKUB SUCKS
YOU TAKE THAT BACK

I'm doing it on the t of g right now. You'd rage too if you knew the topic so I'll keep that a dirty secret, but I'll leave a hint though: an unending crusade against a pervasive subject very dear to much of neckbeardom.

It's fun and some actually give you pointers when you botch, which I didn't. At all.
I scored pretty well, actually.
UFUFUFU
Someone wrote to a failed troll: wrote:Not only that it's too obvious, it's almost too tl;dr (LOL REDUNDANT). It's very in-depth and unnecessary, particularly in reference to the current discussion, and it's too hard to follow. Also, it doesn't insult or offend anyone here directly, which is always a plus with a troll.

If you'd have separated it out into 2 or 3 short paragraphs, it would have looked less tl;dr, but it still wouldn't have gotten the job done.

Anyway.
Ever wondered where Frank and PR get those awesome memes?
Well, not all are scrounged from the anusi of the internets...
Try this on:
http://bighugelabs.com/flickr/motivator.php
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Koumei wrote:Sigma, I've played that game. It's quite addictive, if frustrating at times. You don't need rules though, it works well freeform. Here, I'll show you.

SKUB SUCKS

JE: that looks awesome

Frank: Oh, exploitable!
That's nuttin.

You can get to suit up in your spess mehrine armor for reals, go shoot chaos spess merhines with a laser snot gun while Optimus Prime kills chinese commies and throws nuklear footballs at the chaos merhines, as well as going all Evangellion on the lamer CSM forcefields.

Also, I forgot about the nuklear bomb catapults. Although, it's really more like a nuklear Atlatl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZvtDC-_ ... re=related

Footage since it happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX3yJRXpSOQ&fmt=18

HD Footage with uplifting democratic russian background muzak.

I'm 'trying' to get a non-giant flamer and a bolter made, but it's taking time. Since I'm learning this GECK application.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

If anyone would make a mech like that, it would be the Russians.
I suspect they would go for bigger bulk and moar lazorz though.

Here's an unusual story:
http://www.onemanga.com/Biomega

General Narain is Da Shit.

Although, I prefer Abara more, and BLAME even before either.
http://www.onemanga.com/Abara/
http://www.onemanga.com/BLAME/

Biomega is prequel to BLAME. Abara is standalone (I think).
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Josh_Kablack wrote:Grabowski just pointed me towards this open source SRPG design program:

http://www.wesnoth.org/

and the tutorials:

http://catb.org/~esr/wesnoth/campaign-design-howto.html
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/BuildingCampaignsTutorial

I haven't had time to play with it yet, but I'm doing a backflip inside just knowing it exists.
The people who made this are clowns.

I downloaded it, set it to English, and it reverted to Czech anyway. Then I set language preferences in the fucking game to English - and the in-game menus are in Czech anyway.

Who the fucking hell is so rock stupid that they set in-game menus to look up your physical location instead of your game language settings?

-Username17
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Who makes game language settings and then disregards them?

-Crissa
Heath Robinson
Knight

Post by Heath Robinson »

Someone thought they were being clever when they decided to make it automatically select language on the basis of your physical location. Submit a bug/feature report along the lines of "make the language setting actually do something".

Or, y'know, the relevant person has no clue that the language setting exists.
Last edited by Heath Robinson on Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Face it. Today will be as bad a day as any other.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Or just, well, don't use it.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

It's actually fixable, and I fixed it.

Wesnoth is a lot like Age of Wonders.

-Username17
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

I remember Wesnoth. Tried it out a few years ago, but it didn't really catch my interest. Most of the appeal in turn-based strategy games for me lies in making content with the editor, with playing through the main campaign usually coming in second.

I still can't figure out how to script events or place units in the Wesnoth editor, so it takes third place after Age of Wonders 2 / 3 (I count Shadow Magic as an expansion to 2) and Disciples 2. It's very nice to have something OS-X and Linux compatible, though.
ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

http://evilatheistconspiracy.org/
Nuff said
The cartoon here is fucking awesome
Last edited by ckafrica on Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Here's one thing that always bothered me.

South Park way back when ran a cartoon about showing tolerance towards Mormons despite believing screwy things because the belief didn't hurt anyone. Ignoring the obvious bullshit of that statement (hello Prop 8, how you doing?), the underlying message of being tolerant towards peoples' beliefs is sound. Fair enough.

But then... South Park takes a bunch of pot shots at Scientology, making fun of the religion and the people who believe in it.

Something went ridiculously wrong here.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

I though the Mormon episode was critical of them.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

It ended with the Mormon boy telling Stan pretty much to fuck off for judging him by his religious beliefs.

Of course, Stan should've just countered by asking why the church is so racist and questioned the divinity of a church whose main figure repeatedly plagiarized, but then the show wouldn't have been able to force its hypocritical moral down our tender, virgin throats.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

South Park is about being funny, not being right. Scientology is funny. Mormonism is just... sad. You can't make fun of Mormonism because the people are seriously already suffering enough by swallowing it. Scientology otoh is primarily practiced by the rich and you're allowed to make fun of the rich (especially the eccentric rich like scientology seems to go after) all you want as long as they're not your employers.
ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

The mormon episode was much funnier than the scientology. Both were outing the over the top stupidity of both religions.

The fact that the mormon episode also showed that people who follow fucked up religions (catholicism anyone?) can also be perfectly nice and caring people is a worthy point to be made.

The scientology episodes point the Tom Cruise fucking sucks, was equally worthy, just in a different way.
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
It ended with the Mormon boy telling Stan pretty much to fuck off for judging him by his religious beliefs.
And then Cartman called the Mormon guy cool. Thats literally like having Hitler endorse a statement.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

DA wrote:And then Cartman called the Mormon guy cool. Thats literally like having Hitler endorse a statement.
I really don't think the point of Cartman saying that was to negate the moral the story was going for--I think it was just Cartman doing his usual thing of being unable to resist any cheap shots.

If that WAS the point of Cartman saying that then the writers of this show are a lot more inept than I thought.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Beth_Naught
1st Level

Post by Beth_Naught »

Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:If that WAS the point of Cartman saying that then the writers of this show are a lot more inept than I thought.
Well they have in the past had Jimbo convince the KKK to vote against changing the flag to make sure everyone else votes to keep it. They know the effect, I doubt it was unintentional.

Southpark is a very blunt instrument both in terms of humor and moral/political message.