Food you shouldn't eat, but you do anyway?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

according to my friend, I shouldn't eat meat.. since apparently meat is like pandora's box, in that it contains every medical problem which plagues mankind...

I like meat, though, so fuck that.

...besides, I'd probably have opened the box too...
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Every vegetarian I've ever met has been weak and frail. Every vegan I've ever met has been more or less worthless physically. A fried of mine who's vegetarian says that she knows frugarians, and she says they're worthless mentally as well.

I value my personal strength way too much to dull with with a lack of protein. Also, most vegetables are bitter and make me throw up.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Count_Arioch_the_28th wrote:Every vegetarian I've ever met has been weak and frail. Every vegan I've ever met has been more or less worthless physically. A fried of mine who's vegetarian says that she knows frugarians, and she says they're worthless mentally as well.
My sister is a vegan and in damn good shape. She does have to watch what she eats though. Vegetarians don't even need to do that (not more than anyone else that is). Granted, if you want to build tons of muscle fast you want extra protein, but then, so do non-vegetarians.

Eating only fruits and nuts on the other hand can't be healthy. I guess artificial food could make up for the deficits, but I doubt these are free of animal and plant parts. Apart from that it sounds like a logical decision to me: harm no living thing.
Murtak
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Define "good shape".
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Could run a marathon.
Murtak
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

You could get all your nutrition through fruits and nuts. You cannot through American meats.

-Crissa
Last edited by Crissa on Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Crissa wrote:You could get all your nutrition through fruits and nuts. You cannot through American meats.

-Crissa
true, but no one's gone pure carnivore yet.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Well, there wasn't much vegetable matter in Inuit diets, but hardly anyone eats those things anymore. Vitamin C from eyeballs.

-Crissa
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

well there you go. If you're okay with organ meats and blood, you could probably get most of your nutrition from a single corpse.
Last edited by Prak on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Every nutrionist in the universe agrees that it's a balanced diet with lean meats etc.

What I eat way to much of is curries and rice. Mhmm, curry. With an icey beer of some description.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Well, it varies from corpse to corpse, and you'd need a wider variety of corpses... But yes.

Mmm. Curry night. Which was take out this week from the Pakistani place 'cause we're home sick.

-Crissa
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Crissa wrote:You could get all your nutrition through fruits and nuts. You cannot through American meats.
Some can, I can't. I'm allergic to peanut proteen, probably some other nut proteens as well.

So, now you turned my mind to throughts of curry.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

One guy lived on nothing but Mars bars. And doctors, despite their best efforts, could find no health problems. He is my hero.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Heath Robinson
Knight

Post by Heath Robinson »

tzor wrote:
Some can, I can't. I'm allergic to peanut proteen, probably some other nut proteens as well.
Peanuts are beans, so you should be okay on nut proteins, but you might well be okay with other bean proteins as well.

I'm just a little shocked. Peanuts == beans is something I found out when I was 6.

Koumei wrote:One guy lived on nothing but Mars bars. And doctors, despite their best efforts, could find no health problems. He is my hero.
I wonder if he'd appreciate the Glaswegian specialty food - battered Mars Bars.

One of the kids attending the therapist my mother works for lives on nothing but chocolate - he's now at the age where he's worried about his friends mocking him when he goes on a school trip.
Last edited by Heath Robinson on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Face it. Today will be as bad a day as any other.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Count_Arioch_the_28th wrote:Every vegetarian I've ever met has been weak and frail. Every vegan I've ever met has been more or less worthless physically. A fried of mine who's vegetarian says that she knows frugarians, and she says they're worthless mentally as well.

I value my personal strength way too much to dull with with a lack of protein. Also, most vegetables are bitter and make me throw up.
There is nothing special about meat, other than its the end-product of what happens when an animal eats a lot of vegetables. The only unique thing that meat has is B12, and that's because they eat soil with their veggies and we don't.

That cow has nothing unique in its metabolism that creates mega-nutrients not found in the grass its inhaling. The only hurdle is digestion.

For that, there's this:

http://www.vita-mix.com/

My breakfast most mornings is about a variety of kale, chard and collard with enough juice to make it palatable and a banana. This baby turns it into a green smoothie in under 10 seconds. My wife mostly uses it to make nut-based sauces (thinned with soy milk) for pasta.
Last edited by mean_liar on Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Heath Robinson wrote:Peanuts are beans, so you should be okay on nut proteins, but you might well be okay with other bean proteins as well.
Yes this is true, but while peanuts are legumes, peanut allergices are often associated with tree nut allergies. (To make you really confused, tree nuts are generaly considered dry fruits.)

I think I have a milder reaction to tree nuts than I do to peanuts. I try not to actively presue that notion however.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Generally, tree nuts are processed with peanuts, as the same machinery works on sorting, crushing, shelling, baking, etc. So most tree nuts have peanut flour on them, leading to people with peanut allergies reacting to them. Lastly, people unaware of peanut allergies freely use peanuts in replacement for tree nuts in recipes.

...Which happened last month at a nice Indian restaurant, the manager and waiter knew about my friend's allergies, but didn't know the cook had replaced some of the cashews with peanuts 'cause they were cheaper and he wasn't out of those.

-Crissa
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Lago, you asked for a gumbo recipe. I'll try to remember to dig mine out when I get home.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Heath Robinson
Knight

Post by Heath Robinson »

tzor wrote:
Heath Robinson wrote:Peanuts are beans, so you should be okay on nut proteins, but you might well be okay with other bean proteins as well.
Yes this is true, but while peanuts are legumes, peanut allergices are often associated with tree nut allergies. (To make you really confused, tree nuts are generaly considered dry fruits.)

I think I have a milder reaction to tree nuts than I do to peanuts. I try not to actively presue that notion however.
Ah, that's an interesting thing to know. Yes, then I believe you wouldn't be able to survive on a vegan diet.

Some vegetarian diets, however, permit dairy. And some vegetarians avail themselves of the mycoprotein foodstuffs available under brands like Quorn.
Last edited by Heath Robinson on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Yeah, Quorn is kinda... weird, but edible. We do eat alot of mycoprotein anyhow, as it's easily available, though spouse is trying to grow more, but apparently details on growing this stuff is limited.

Vegetarians are split on eating byproducts - like eggs and milk - and even some partake of fish or insects/crustaceans. Vegans have a harder line, and some are against all sorts of things which require distillation or processing to turn into a food or food additive.

Personally, I'm a bit of an omnivore, but I could eat veggies for the rest of my life happily. And if it comes down to it, I prefer a bland, bready veggie patty to one of those super-processed ammonia-washed homogenized patties that come in the big bricks.

-Crissa
Last edited by Crissa on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Crissa wrote:'cause they were cheaper and he wasn't out of those
Ah the magic of the restaurant industry.

as to the split on byproducts, I thought that was the entire difference between vegetarian and vegan, that vegans don't eat anything that comes from an animal (I wonder how many drink energy drinks), and level 5 vegans don't eat anything that casts a shadow... :wink:
Heath Robinson
Knight

Post by Heath Robinson »

There's a real grab-bag of vegetarian stances, and we've just given the extremes particular names. Vegans are simply one of the more strict classifications.

You can see the issues like this:
  • Things that are from animals but don't destroy life (i.e. eggs)
  • Things that are from animals, and intended to support juvenile life (i.e. milk) a.k.a. "stealing from a baby"
  • Things that aren't mammals or birds (i.e. fish, insects) a.k.a "things with bad PR"
  • Things that are intended to store energy (i.e. root vegetables)
  • Things that are intended to be eaten, but are removed from the plant before they're discarded (i.e. unfallen fruit)
And, yes, you can just pick and choose a random assortment of these to call taboo. Yeah, some Vegetarians eat things with bad PR. Not all vegetarians do it on principle.

Edit: Redacted unfounded comments on PETA.
Last edited by Heath Robinson on Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

oh god damn, I hate Peta so much...
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

PETA doesn't have an official stance on chicken eggs, though many of its members do. I think you're mistaking the forest for the trees. The organization doesn't stand against humanely taken eggs... just that the supply of such is very, very tiny. (As in, I know where to get some in my town, however, 99.999... not sure how many 9s percent of eggs consumed in my town were not humanely taken.

Honestly, discarding an ally for small steps - humane killing, keeping, feeding of animals - because their group also mentions the big steps is really useless.

-Crissa
Heath Robinson
Knight

Post by Heath Robinson »

My apologies, I was running entirely off memories. It appears I remembered something different to the actual content. The game in question did not, when I located and replayed it, state anything about eggs. It did, however, spawn blood splatters and loose feathers when you crack the eggs - implying that they do not look fondly on them.

I'll redact my post for accuracy.
Last edited by Heath Robinson on Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.