There's a 3rd Edition Mutants & Masterminds?!

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

No more so than, say, D&D. If you get a monk and an optimized caster the game is essentially unplayable because your players are playing different games. Also optimized wizards break the game over their knee. In fact it's probably worse because to my recollection M&M rules do explicitly give the GM veto powers for shit that's out of line so there's no arguing that you can do something by raw.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Schleiermacher wrote:This thread is a very good illustration of the weakness of the M&M system. It's a very flexible system, but because of the lack of restrictions, character creation is completely unbalanced. It pretty much requires communal character generation with strong GM oversight, so everyone is on the same page, or the game will be virtually unplayable.
Dude, comic books invented the idea of unplayable parties.

Seriously, that's one dilemma of superhero RPGs: you can strive for balance or for simulating comic-book superheroes, but it's hard to do both.
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

Exactly.

And M&M, in my opionion, made the correct decision by prioritizing breadth of options. But that means optimizing your characters isn't really a fruitful endeavor. It's very easy, but it only makes the game less fun and playable. Because unlike D&D, there's no objective measurement of challenges that you need to compare yourself to.

Edit: Except for the case of the GM making villains to oppose the players' assembled heroes, I suppose, but he can have unlimited resources anyway, so...
Last edited by Schleiermacher on Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sir Aubergine
Apprentice

Post by Sir Aubergine »

My last superhero campaign was actually Hero System (5th). The campaign only lasted 3 or 4 sessions, but I thought Hero System was tighter mechanically and more agreeable in regards to the layout and presentation of the book itself.
The Denner’s Oath
The Denner, The Denner’s reflection: [in unison] A Denner is unhelpful, unfriendly and unkind.
The Denner’s reflection: With ungracious thoughts...
The Denner: ...in an unhealthy mind.
The Denner’s reflection: A Denner is uncheerful, uncouth and unclean. Now say this together!
The Denner, The Denner’s reflection: I'm frightfully mean! My eyes are both shifty. My fingers are thrifty.
The Denner: My mouth does not smile.
The Denner’s reflection: Not half of an inch.
The Denner: I'm a Denner.
The Denner’s reflection: I... am a Denner.
The Denner: I'm a Denner!
The Denner’s reflection: That's my boy. Now go out and prove it!
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

So... why did M&M get rid of attacks of opportunities anyway? What was their logic behind such a thing?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I don't think they ever gave an official and explicit explanation for removing it. If I had to guess, it was probably to simplify the combat system. Another idea for what they're thinking is that it'd be easy to buy off vulnerability to AoOs; super-speed should remove the vulnerability, not provoking in melee with ranged attacks is usually a feat in most d20 systems, casting defensively is a 5' step or +TEXAS$ Concentration check away, etc. Once you can cheaply ignore the whole subsystem, I can see them feeling that the mechanic wasn't worth retaining to jigger with properly.
Last edited by virgil on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:So... why did M&M get rid of attacks of opportunities anyway? What was their logic behind such a thing?
As noted, they didn't have them in the first place in the core rulebook; they're a later optional add-on.

Why remove them altogether? In my experience, games where the PCs have huge speeds or huge power ranges (e.g. Villain & Vigilantes) work poorly on a battle map, and without a battle map attacks of opportunity work poorly (again, in my experience).