[StupidIdea]Accomplishments Instead of Feats

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

ishy wrote:
deaddmwalking wrote:From a setting perspective, we could have just said 'everyone can throw hammers'. But if we did that, I would have felt a little 'small in the pants'. Instead of having a special ability that I earned, I'd just be taking advantage of a sub-optimal attack option.
Why does it need to be a subpar option? Just let everyone throw hammers as an option that is sometimes good (because you can't get close or something), sometimes not (because you lose your hammer or whatever)?
In this case, usually throwing hammers is not going to be as advantageous as firing arrows because in the real world, arrows are effective and have a longer range. If you defer too far from reality, you can ruin the game for that reason.
ishy wrote:
deaddmwalking wrote:But if the player likes to make charge attacks and have used it many times, there's nothing wrong with giving them a bonus of what is otherwise a pretty terrible Feat. Better to do that than have them waste a selection on it.
Better to not write terrible feats in the first place. And just allow everyone to be able to use charge attacks without feeling like they are wasting everyone's time?
Sure. As a general rule, writing only good feats would be better than writing shitty feats. But 3.x has lots of feats, and most of them are terrible. And when you figure that you're only going to get a very small number of Feats in your game, anyway, you have literally thousands of feats that will never see play unless you give them away like candy.

So, if you're inclined, they actually make a decent reward. As good as treasure or XP. Maybe better.
Last edited by deaddmwalking on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.