[LP] Sorcery! Now Playing: The Crown of Kings

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

The creature jumps in the air as you greet him and cautiously comes closer. Seeing that you mean no harm, he invites you to join with his companions.

• Join them?
• Say that you would rather stay where you are and rest?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Join them.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

The creatures are ELVINS, mischievous little half-humans. They live in a village not far up the river and they are fond of impish pranks. Every so often they will disappear and, as you search round nervously, reappear suddenly in front of you just to make you jump. They are able to turn their glow on and off at will, and another favorite trick is to extinguish their flow and drop down in front of you. More often than not, this means you trip over them, causing considerable merriment to all but you. Nevertheless, you keep your temper. You do appear to be hindering their progress and after an hour or so they tire of you and vanish into the woods along the riverside. You wait in vain for them to reappear and eventually decide to find another suitable shelter for the night to get some sleep. You awake again at sunrise and continue along the path.
Have you eaten since leaving the Outpost Settlement yesterday? If not, you are extremely hungry and must deduct 3 STAMINA points for going without food for the day.

You continue on your way and approach a rope bridge strung precariously between two boulders. You may either:

• Continue along the path on your side of the water?
• Or cross the river on the bridge and follow a path running over a small hill?
Name: Fletch Beckett
SKILL: 7
STAMINA: 23
LUCK: 11
Favor of Libra: √

Backpack
Sword
4 g.p.
2 provisions
Bamboo Flute
Bag of Teeth (? Death-hound, 3 Ape, 4 Goblin, 2 Snattacat, 1 Giant)
Spell Book page (#102)
Beeswax
Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

There is no way that bridge won't collapse. That being said, falling legitimately might lead us to something good. But I doubt it, so I suppose we should stay on our side.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:There is no way that bridge won't collapse. That being said, falling legitimately might lead us to something good.
There's an app for that. Try crossing.

edit: we only have 2 provisions
Last edited by Starmaker on Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Sure, let's cross.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

The path winds up and over the hill and you stop and marvel at a grassy verge in which are growing some of the most beautiful and delicate flowers you have ever seen.
You follow the path carefully downwards, trying to avoid breaking branches as you go.

• Stop along the way to eat provisions?
• Press on?
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

It seems we have to eat one meal per day or take starvation damage, and there are a couple chances to do so (and regain hp while at that). Since we're at full hp and it's not yet evening, press on.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Press on, and hope those aren't Fear Flowers.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

You continue along the trail and the undergrowth around you gets thicker. Suddenly there is a cracking beneath your feet and something gives way underfoot.

Test your Luck?
• Don't Test your Luck? (Leads to the same reference as being Unlucky.)
STAMINA: 23

Backpack
Sword
4 g.p.
2 provisions
Bamboo Flute
Bag of Teeth (? Death-hound, 3 Ape, 4 Goblin, 2 Snattacat, 1 Giant)
Spell Book page (#102)
Beeswax
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Test luck, on the off chance that succeeding will be beneficial in other ways aside from evading whatever the penalty for failing is (something that an Imperial Sorcerer can pay off in stamina). I sure hope the fact that we have a choice to test or not doesn't mean failing might be actually advantageous.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Starmaker wrote:Test luck, on the off chance that succeeding will be beneficial in other ways aside from evading whatever the penalty for failing is (something that an Imperial Sorcerer can pay off in stamina). I sure hope the fact that we have a choice to test or not doesn't mean failing might be actually advantageous.
This.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

5 is Lucky!
You leap ahead just in time as a pitfall caves in beneath you. You look back to see a gaping pit which you would have fallen into.
Your relief is somewhat premature, however, as you discover when you take your next step forward. Your foot triggers a release mechanism and three saplings snap up in front of you. Each is fitted with sharpened stakes which whip towards you at heart level. You are impaled on this fiendish device and your journey has ended here. Your head will soon join the others on the posts you have just passed...
Ladies and gentlemen, I think we may have discovered the most bullshit death. I mean, wow. It's not just that it comes as the result of passing a Test your Luck – although it does do that. It's that it also bypasses every single countermeasure our character possesses, up to and including divine favor, with no explanation. I mean, shit, we just have a giant pile of STAMINA. Is this punji nonsense really more deadly than eleven sword wounds?

It's also bad writing, because I've explored the paths a bit and there is at least one perfectly valid way to have set up the situation to be a ton more reasonable in exactly as many paragraphs. It's just lazy. I won't even go into the continuity error.

Man, I do not remember this being the standard. I hope it's a fluke.

Anyway, I didn't discuss this earlier, but my intention was to have a 'save point' at the start of each book, rather than an 'undo' command. Do we want to start over? Or just go back a little and choose not to Test? I'm fine either way.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH WOW

As for restarting:
My maximum programme for this book so far consists of the following (besides not dying):
- finding the pest repellent spell;
- solving the elvin quest;
- meeting the loneliest manticore.

So far, none of the choices we might reasonably make on rollback seem to impact any of these goals. A complete rollback gets us:
- a medicinal potion of unknown properties;
- slightly more money (minus popsicle, plus potion, plus reroll on pipe);
- optional alternate resolution method with the bandits which costs 3 more stamina but might get us cash or another picture of the spell effect;
- possibly slightly less hp as the bees might bite us for more;
- choices! hills/valley, bridge/not.

I suggest we roll back completely, then fast forward (+potion -popsicle) until at least the beeswax get.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

That's UK Steve for you.

I agree with Star's plan.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Okay, the potion's description is:
You open the stopper on the bottle of potion and take a sniff. Phew! The pungent odour of Blimberry juice hits your nostrils. Blimberry is a strange fruit which ordinarily would never be eaten by humans or animals (having such a foul smell). But its medicinal properties have been discovered by all species and it appears to be nature's healer. You may take this potion at any time, except in battle, to restore 3 STAMINA points. Or you may use the potion in sorcery. There is enough in the bottle for one dose.
Okay, changes. Potion cost 4 gp. Rerolled pipe cost 2 gp. Rerolled bees did no damage. All good so far.
You may continue your journey either by:

• Following the path into the valley?
• Or by taking the high path up into the hills?
STAMINA: 22/23

Backpack
Sword
11 g.p.
3 provisions
Medicinal Potion of Blimberry (+3 STAMINA)
Bamboo Flute
Bag of Teeth (? Death-hound, 3 Ape, 4 Goblin, 2 Snattacat, 1 Giant
Spell Book page (#102)
Beeswax
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Take the high path this time.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:Take the high path this time.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

The path winds upward into the hills and you enter a wood. The afternoon sun glints through the trees, playing tricks on your eyes. Every so often you catch a glimpse of some strange-shaped animal or other watching you, only to find that is is the silhouetted branches and leaves caught at an odd angle. You reach a position where you may rest and eat provisions if you wish.
I'm just going to assume you don't wish. There's no interesting mid-meal encounter or anything.
The climb continues for two or three hours as the path twists this way and that up the hillside. Soon the air gets cold and the sun sets, making it difficult for you to see. However, the moon is full and will be able to light the way as it gets darker.

• Continue further, marching through the night?
• Stop and make camp to get some sleep?
Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Full moon means werewolves are out, and we don't have any silver weapons. Also not resting probably means STAMINA loss. So we should make camp for the night.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

You settle down to make camp for the night. You may take Provisions here and, if you do so, you may add 2 STAMINA points if you have not yet eaten since leaving Analand, or 1 STAMINA point if you have already eaten on your journey. You may only eat if you have provisions with you. As you curl up in your blanket to sleep, there is a chance that you may encounter a wandering night creature. Night creatures are less likely to approach you in your camp, so you may add 2 points to the die roll you will be required to make.
Roll one die to see whether you encounter any night creatures:
1-2: Giant Bat SKILL 5, STAMINA 5
3: Wolfhound SKILL 7, STAMINA 6
4: Werewolf SKILL 8, STAMINA 9
5+: No encounter

You must fight any creatures you encounter. The following spells may be used: RAN, GUM, LAW, WIK, BIG.
The roll is 1(+2) which is a wolfhound. Fight or spell (specify)?
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

BIG.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Not going to waste too much time on a random encounter...
Deduct 2 STAMINA points. You cast the spell and begin to grow to three times your normal size. The night creature stops in its tracks. You may, if you wish, Test your Luck. If yo uare Lucky, the beast takes flight and runs back into the woods. If you are Unlucky, or if you did not Test Your Luck, the creature continues to attack but you may double your SKILL score as you attack it.
I think we're not going to waste a valuable luck point when we can just bring our magnificently enlarged SKILL 14 to a SKILL 7 fight.
Fletch 24, Wolfhound 12; Wolfhound at 4
Fletch 23, Wolfhound 13; Wolfhound at 2
Fletch 19, Wolfhound 14; Wolfhound defeated
After your night's sleep you may add either 2 STAMINA points, if you encountered no night creatures, or 1 STAMINA point if your sleep was disturbed. Then you set off along the trail.
Did you eat at all on the first day of your journey since you left Analand? If not, you are feeling very hungry and must lose 3 STAMINA points.
As the second day of your journey breaks, you march through the cool morning air of the hills, having now climbed several hundred feet. You reach the brow of a hill and stop in your tracks. To your left is a clearing in which several poles are firmly planted in the ground. Atop the poles are heads – some recently fixed, some semi-decayed – human heads, Goblin heads, and one or two heads of creatures you do not recognize, all with sewn-up eyes and mouths. A large X painted on a broad tree is obviously intended as a warning to venture no further. Ahead, the path forks to the right and left, but you cannot be sure which path you are warned not to take!
• Continue your climb along the right-hand path?
• Take the left-hand path which winds down the side of the hill?
STAMINA: 22/23

Backpack
Sword
11 g.p.
2 provisions
Medicinal Potion of Blimberry (+3 STAMINA)
Bamboo Flute
Bag of Teeth (? Death-hound, 3 Ape, 4 Goblin, 2 Snattacat, 1 Giant
Spell Book page (#102)
Beeswax
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

It's that place again, only from another pov. Ignore it and continue the climb.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Continue climbing.