Books you hate

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

PhoneLobster wrote:Its hard to argue the difference between incompetence and laziness, but if I were writing under that direction I'd certainly half ass it right up to the sabotage bit.
I'm going for incompetence. See this for example:
[url=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030321x wrote:Savage Species Chat[/url]]navonodsemaj: The "Cumbrous" line of feats grant a huge advantage when activated, but at a cost. What if the character with a Cumbrous feat could somehow circumvent the downsides to the feat? For example, a paladin is immune to fear, and he has Cumbrous Will. Cumbrous Will's negative effect is being shaken, which is a fear effect. Paladins, as everyone knows, are immune to fear at 2nd-level or higher.

wotc_jcw: Shaken does not have to result only from fear, I think. In this case, it's more like exhaustion.

rich_redman: Okay, navon is right according to the Dungeon Master's Guide -- it's a fear effect. If I were the DM, I would do one of two things. Either I would rule that the effect takes precedence, even if immune to fear effects (so take it, Mr. Paladin), or I would rule that creatures/characters couldn't take the feats if they are immune to the side effects.
Keep in mind both Jennifer & Rich are the designers.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Midnight_v
Knight-Baron

Post by Midnight_v »

OgreBattle wrote:Players Handbook, it has fighter and wizard in it. It is the root of decades of grief and ignorance.
+

Damn you for having good taste. Thats my exact answer.
Don't hate the world you see, create the world you want....
Dear Midnight, you have actually made me sad. I took a day off of posting yesterday because of actual sadness you made me feel in my heart for you.
...If only you'd have stopped forever...