Zero Buzz on 5E...Is It Dead Out The Gate?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Drolyt
Knight

Post by Drolyt »

Insomniac wrote:I don't think it can be accidental that unless you are at least half-casting you seem to be really left behind in 3.Whatever/Pathfinder.
Of course it isn't accidental that characters that can fly, summon demons, teleport, transform into dragons, call down meteors from the heavens, kill people by pointing at them, clone themselves, become ethereal and stop time are more powerful than people who can swing swords.

The designers almost certainly did not intend for this state of affairs, they just didn't think through having mostly mundane warriors and powerful spellcasters in the same party.
Edit:
deaddmwalking wrote:Clerics are the 'best' at outshining martial characters because the BAB isn't far behind a straight Martial and their spells easily overcome the differences - even without breaking the game by becoming a multi-armed arrow-firing Archer Demon.
I think druids are actually more infamous for this, which is why Pathfinder went out of their way to nerf them but not clerics.
Last edited by Drolyt on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Drolyt wrote: I think druids are actually more infamous for this, which is why Pathfinder went out of their way to nerf them but not clerics.
And then they introduced the Summoner: A Half-caster who gets good spells early enough to pretty much count as a full caster focused on buffs, with a pet that makes Fighters cry. But it's OK, because the Summoner only has d8 HD and light armor proficiency, and the Eidolon goes if the summoner goes!

Then they made the Synthesist archetype, where the summoner rides inside the pet and they share stats and actions, and here's the thing: The Synthesist is a downgrade to the Summoner. Really, it is. But instead of being better at 99% of everything but having an allegede achilles' heel in the form of a vulnerable summoner, the synthesist is now flat-out better at everything. It took away the Fighter's tiny fig leaf, and people cried buckets.

Similar thing with Mummy's Mask PG: Finding magical traps as a trait, and that was the Rogue's one unique thing (except for all the other guys who could do that).
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

Also I would say that while a standard summoner is generally stronger than a Synthesist, in a high-op game against correspondingly powerful foes, the situation is reversed.

If your foes are several CR above what you "should" be able to handle, and you're keeping up with op-fu, then summoned creatures are often too weak to make a difference, and separating the Eidolon/Summoner makes them more vulnerable. When combined, you can reach the power level you need much more easily.

The funny thing is that the Summoner is pretty much straight weaker than a Druid. So why does it get called out as OP? Because the limited focus pushes it toward one of the more optimal tactics. It's not stronger than a Druid who also focuses on summoning, but it's a lot stronger than a Druid who decides to mostly fight with a scimitar and use their animal for scouting. So - higher floor, basically.
Krusk
Knight-Baron

Post by Krusk »

Cyberzombie wrote:
Koumei wrote: Honestly, it's altogether possible a future PF2.0 will actually not include non-casters as playable options. I mean, it won't even pretend they're playable by putting them in the book.
Definitely the best way to go.
Doubtful they actually will do this. Their core fanbase doesn't see anything wrong with the 3e fighter as is. Why would they consider removing a core archtype from the game.

Realistically, I'd expect TOB2 and a bunch of fake warlock casters. A smattering of bard casters thrown in too. Even this I see as doubtful. I'd be very suprised if we didn't get an even simpler to play fighter. Something like core fighter, but instead of "Any feat" you get prechosen feats based on a path. Making the PF2 fighter weaker.

Basically, I don't see why with PF2 they would suddenly realize they should design a good game. I'd more realistically predict you get pathfinder with all of its flaws X10, because they don't have that pesky 3.5 backwards compatability to deal with.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

I think at both the high end and low end of optimization the standard summoner is better but the Synthesist -feels- stronger because he's not even overpowering the other characters in a different way. He isn't killing enemies in a more efficient but different manner than the fighters he is fighting harder than the fighter and casting approximately equally to a normal caster. A believe that a standard Summoner could outpace a Synthesist at most levels of play due to action economy being the surest path to victory but people get more upset at Synthesists because he plays the exact same game as mundanes he just does it better in every way and then does other things.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Insomniac
Knight

Post by Insomniac »

Syth Summoner is basically what the 3.5 Druid was but toned down.

The fighter and monk and rogue would feel small in the pants when you'd plunder books for the best thing to Wild Shape into and take stuff that let
you have the best Animal Companion at your level.

I mean, maybe it isn't the best thing to do, but going Beast Mode while having something like a Fleshraker around would show up the majority of combat builds, plus the Druid has good Will save,
SAD on its Wisdom and is full-casting. So how could a typical martial combatant not feel like a mook?

The 5E Druid I saw was substantially toned down from the 3.5 incarnation.
I don't think there will every really be any role infringement/gimmick infringement.

Makes me laugh, because Frank here pretty much was the original "Yeah, Casters Do It Better!" troll with the Cleric Archer build.

:rofl:
Last edited by Insomniac on Thu May 01, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyberzombie
Knight-Baron

Post by Cyberzombie »

Krusk wrote: Doubtful they actually will do this. Their core fanbase doesn't see anything wrong with the 3e fighter as is. Why would they consider removing a core archtype from the game.
Yeah, unfortunately I agree. From the PF fans and developers, it doesn't look like they see anything wrong with the warrior classes, even though it's clear that the designers and the fans are pretty much all caster fanboys. It's sad because the game is actually pretty fun if everyone plays a caster. I just wish the designers would bite the bullet and admit that it's a casters game, and make things better for everyone.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Ice9 wrote: The funny thing is that the Summoner is pretty much straight weaker than a Druid. So why does it get called out as OP? Because the limited focus pushes it toward one of the more optimal tactics. It's not stronger than a Druid who also focuses on summoning, but it's a lot stronger than a Druid who decides to mostly fight with a scimitar and use their animal for scouting. So - higher floor, basically.
Amusingly, things come full circle because the same concept is part of the way druids provided cover for clerics back in the day. Clerics are quite capable of breaking the world over their knee, but when it comes to kicking the shit out of some orcs they don't have anything quite so obvious as deciding to spont. cast for some crocodiles. You know, to go along with your crocodile wild shape and crocodile companion.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Thu May 01, 2014 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Drolyt wrote:
Insomniac wrote:I don't think it can be accidental that unless you are at least half-casting you seem to be really left behind in 3.Whatever/Pathfinder.
Of course it isn't accidental that characters that can fly, summon demons, teleport, transform into dragons, call down meteors from the heavens, kill people by pointing at them, clone themselves, become ethereal and stop time are more powerful than people who can swing swords.

The designers almost certainly did not intend for this state of affairs, they just didn't think through having mostly mundane warriors and powerful spellcasters in the same party.
The designers totally just intended this state of affairs, over and over again.

E. Gary Gygax supplimented a wargame called Chainmail with a fantasy mod where you could be a Hero (Ftr4), or a Superhero (Ftr 8), or a Wizard (Wiz 12+). The original concept is for low level Fighters and high level Casters. To support the associated fiction of magic users kicking everyone's ass.

When that became D&D, via Dave Arneson, they invented low level Magic Users that became Wizards, and also invented high level Lords for the Fighters to become.

By AD&D, Lords got castles and armies and income from their barony. Wizards didn't care, because they were pre-defined to single-handedly destroy armies and flatten castles. The "balance" was that low level Wizards were "hard mode" and needed to stand behind the Fighters until they hit about level 8 or they would just fucking die.

Even then, there was restrictions on prep and various risks meant it was pretty smart to let the Fighters and their armies do the front-line work whenever you could risk it. It was a shitty kinda balance, being an effective meat shield, but it was Fighters beating the Tomb of Horrors, not Wizards, because armies were the best thing for detecting traps, and they had the best saves and hit points by a large margin.

Over the next six years, Fighters got "patched" with about triple damage output, and 2nd edition was supposed to pump up the monsters and fighters further to better withstand the Wizard's peak output at higher levels. Then EGG was sacked and the game development was basically frozen with high damage Fighters and "do everything else" Wizards until 3e. The Clerics and Thieves just sucked all the way.

Still, if you challenged a well-built 1.5 or 2e Fighter, you destroyed everyone else in the party. Not a great role, but a functional one.

For 3e, Monte Cook decided hard mode and restrictions on Wizards was bad. Every race should be Wizards, all up to 20th level in a year, for the same cost as taking a Fighter to 20th (but no Lordship for you, sucker, at least not any easier than the same thing is for everyone else), and they should just cast all their spells every day without any worries at all and saves should really fail almost all the time instead of almost never.

Also, Clerics should be even better than that, and Rogues have to be better than Fighters. Also, high level play is fine, honest, don't even test it.

You'd think it an accident that 3e Clerics are made of awesome, but it's in their pre-release press that Clerics are going to be the best class and everyone will want to play one now. It was a thing in late 2nd edition where no one wanted to play the Cleric, but someone had to for party healing. So they "fixed" that. And also gave out unlimited cheap healing.

Another thing they "fixed" for 3e was Fighters who were comparatively hard to kill. Everyone got more hit points and the monsters got way higher damage, and Fighters suddenly are useless compared to any old cheap-ass summons, let alone a polymorph.

Fighters not being able to kill Giants and Dragons? That's deliberate, people used to complain about it, so Giants and Dragons have been getting more and more out of reach for a long time. While 3.0 Fighters could still kill demons, Wizard-players who summoned them complained about that. So 3.5 Fighters cannot kill demons, but they're even easier to summon and command with spells. "Fixed" again.

Pathfinder is written by someone who saw sales explode for D&D when casters were given deliberate casual dominance of the game and martials were nerfed into uselessness. He deliberately made it easier for casters, in a line-by-line destruction of things which made life slightly difficult for them, and also deliberately took out anything that had anyone suggested to make martial characters useful in a fight. Deliberate, intentional, line-by-line nerfs for martial PCs; to keep them in their place, as low level grunts.

None of it is an accident. Wizards, from original conception, as supported in the fiction, are a high level concept that destroys everything in the game at their whim. Fighters are low level grunts that have a hard time with bears and ogres, again supporting the fiction. People hate restrictions on magic, and they hate martial types having nice things.

Game devs who supported that in the past have gotten lucky, purely by coincidence, their other mechanics and support structure and adverts caught the market just right, but those games have won and so now it's a thing. And it will be right up until someone gives us proper high level Fighters and sells better than expected. But that won't be Bulmahn.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Drolyt
Knight

Post by Drolyt »

tussock wrote:
Drolyt wrote:

The designers totally just intended this state of affairs, over and over again.
The rest of your post doesn't really support this.
E. Gary Gygax supplimented a wargame called Chainmail with a fantasy mod where you could be a Hero (Ftr4), or a Superhero (Ftr 8), or a Wizard (Wiz 12+). The original concept is for low level Fighters and high level Casters. To support the associated fiction of magic users kicking everyone's ass.

When that became D&D, via Dave Arneson, they invented low level Magic Users that became Wizards, and also invented high level Lords for the Fighters to become.

By AD&D, Lords got castles and armies and income from their barony. Wizards didn't care, because they were pre-defined to single-handedly destroy armies and flatten castles. The "balance" was that low level Wizards were "hard mode" and needed to stand behind the Fighters until they hit about level 8 or they would just fucking die.

Even then, there was restrictions on prep and various risks meant it was pretty smart to let the Fighters and their armies do the front-line work whenever you could risk it. It was a shitty kinda balance, being an effective meat shield, but it was Fighters beating the Tomb of Horrors, not Wizards, because armies were the best thing for detecting traps, and they had the best saves and hit points by a large margin.

Over the next six years, Fighters got "patched" with about triple damage output, and 2nd edition was supposed to pump up the monsters and fighters further to better withstand the Wizard's peak output at higher levels. Then EGG was sacked and the game development was basically frozen with high damage Fighters and "do everything else" Wizards until 3e. The Clerics and Thieves just sucked all the way.

Still, if you challenged a well-built 1.5 or 2e Fighter, you destroyed everyone else in the party. Not a great role, but a functional one.
See, the fact that they kept patching the fighter strongly implies they wanted it to be a useful class. As I understand it exceptional strength and the bit where warrior classes get more from a high constitution were both added on to make fighters better. Also fighters didn't even get a 1d10 hit die until AD&D. Plus all the things you mentioned. It seems that someone wanted fighters to not suck.
For 3e, Monte Cook decided hard mode and restrictions on Wizards was bad. Every race should be Wizards, all up to 20th level in a year, for the same cost as taking a Fighter to 20th (but no Lordship for you, sucker, at least not any easier than the same thing is for everyone else), and they should just cast all their spells every day without any worries at all and saves should really fail almost all the time instead of almost never.
I'm pretty sure Cook just thought it would be more fun if casting was easier and didn't think it through. I'm not sure he was entirely wrong, I love 3e casting mechanics.
Also, Clerics should be even better than that, and Rogues have to be better than Fighters. Also, high level play is fine, honest, don't even test it.

You'd think it an accident that 3e Clerics are made of awesome, but it's in their pre-release press that Clerics are going to be the best class and everyone will want to play one now. It was a thing in late 2nd edition where no one wanted to play the Cleric, but someone had to for party healing. So they "fixed" that. And also gave out unlimited cheap healing.
I don't think they really intended for clerics to be the "best class", they just wanted them to not suck and went too far.
Another thing they "fixed" for 3e was Fighters who were comparatively hard to kill. Everyone got more hit points and the monsters got way higher damage, and Fighters suddenly are useless compared to any old cheap-ass summons, let alone a polymorph.
Again, I'm pretty sure their goal was to avoid rocket tag gameplay, not to nerf fighters.
Fighters not being able to kill Giants and Dragons? That's deliberate, people used to complain about it, so Giants and Dragons have been getting more and more out of reach for a long time. While 3.0 Fighters could still kill demons, Wizard-players who summoned them complained about that. So 3.5 Fighters cannot kill demons, but they're even easier to summon and command with spells. "Fixed" again.
Could you provide some evidence for this?
Pathfinder is written by someone who saw sales explode for D&D when casters were given deliberate casual dominance of the game and martials were nerfed into uselessness. He deliberately made it easier for casters, in a line-by-line destruction of things which made life slightly difficult for them, and also deliberately took out anything that had anyone suggested to make martial characters useful in a fight. Deliberate, intentional, line-by-line nerfs for martial PCs; to keep them in their place, as low level grunts.
You are giving the Pathfinder devs way too much credit. Remember that they told everyone martial was buffed and then stealth nerfed them in a way most players wouldn't notice. I refuse to believe they are actually competent enough to do that on purpose.
None of it is an accident. Wizards, from original conception, as supported in the fiction, are a high level concept that destroys everything in the game at their whim. Fighters are low level grunts that have a hard time with bears and ogres, again supporting the fiction. People hate restrictions on magic, and they hate martial types having nice things.
Except people are always complaining about martial types not having nice things. There is a problem where a lot of people want them to somehow not suck while also not doing anything but swing their sword, but that is just cognitive dissonance.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

There's a Gygax quote where he said the cavalier was a replacement for fighter, and one of his perks was getting increased stats as he levels.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

In the interest of bringing old player (ones from 200 ~ that played 3rd and moved to Pathfinder) they are reusing everything they did not use during 4th (like red box including its arts, and Rules Cyclopedia for the online crap). and now Battlesystem the attempt to turn an RPG bak into a minis wargame, and nobody really cares for everyting so nobody cares about 5th.

The simple fact that editions do NOT work together is lost on WotC.

D&D has a following
AD&D has a split following
3rd has a following
Pathfinder has a followiung
4th has some morons that think it really is a game
wargames have a following

and never the twain shall meet.

so there isnt really interest in 4th because the palytest gave nothing, there has been no D&D for 2 years, and like the late 90s people have found other things (probably MtG again)ow to appease those who never liked D&D before because they turned that cash cow into sacred hamburge with 4th and nobody has interest or trust in WotC to know what they are doing.

For the most part the designers at WotC never liked or understood D&D to begin with so what can you expect really? D&D was its own thin that everything copied, when D&D became the drek that copies everything else, it lost its existence and it it time to either go back to the begining and throw out this new crap and put it under a new system name, or just let D&D die all together.

5th trying to be an MMO, a sports game, a euro board game and everything else just will not work because the things it is trying to do, do not mix.
Last edited by shadzar on Fri May 02, 2014 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Atmo
Master

Post by Atmo »

shadzar wrote:5th trying to be an MMO, a sports game, a euro board game and everything else just will not work because the things it is trying to do, do not mic.
For the first time, i agree with this crazy old guy. Probably i'm wrong, heh.
☆ *World games are shit ☆ M&M is shit ☆ Fate fans gave me cancer ☆
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

Koumei wrote:and Your Mum!"
Does it revolve around Charm Person and size changing (specifically, expansion)?
Cyberzombie wrote:Definitely the best way to go.
Considering most nonmagical combatants end up getting outperformed by the dedicated gish classes (psychic warrior, magus, etc.) eventually, this could be pretty damn neat.
deaddmwalking wrote:It's not my experience that most people want to play casters.

The reason there is a problem with mundane characters falling so far behind magical characters is that people want to play a mundane character that doesn't suck. They will cling to the delusion that they're contributing until a caster does their 'schtick' better than they can themselves.

Clerics are the 'best' at outshining martial characters because the BAB isn't far behind a straight Martial and their spells easily overcome the differences - even without breaking the game by becoming a multi-armed arrow-firing Archer Demon.
Pretty much this. Melee fighting is thematic, iconic, and cool... and totally outclassed by magic. It's why I make so many gishes, because gish-types really do do fighting better than fighters even while limiting themselves to using the same methods and largely the same paradigm as fighters.

Also, a lot of anime-style shit (and that's an inspiration, no lie) features so much superhuman quasi-magic abilities that it's xeasier to model it with magic than with cumbersome featchains.
rasmuswagner wrote:And then they introduced the Summoner: A Half-caster who gets good spells early enough to pretty much count as a full caster focused on buffs, with a pet that makes Fighters cry. But it's OK, because the Summoner only has d8 HD and light armor proficiency, and the Eidolon goes if the summoner goes!

Then they made the Synthesist archetype, where the summoner rides inside the pet and they share stats and actions, and here's the thing: The Synthesist is a downgrade to the Summoner. Really, it is. But instead of being better at 99% of everything but having an allegede achilles' heel in the form of a vulnerable summoner, the synthesist is now flat-out better at everything. It took away the Fighter's tiny fig leaf, and people cried buckets.
Another benefit is sharing the benefits of magic items so you don't need to equip both yourself and your pet, and even if you shat all over your eidolon and left it to die you still had multiple (vaguely) level-appropriate castings of a Summon Monster spell every day (3+Cha mod castings) as an SLA. Oh, and it upgrades to Gate at level 19, which isn't amazing since primary casters have had it for 2 levels already, but you're not a primary caster and Gate is still versatile and powerful.

All the other Summoner archetypes power up their free summons or super summon at the cost of the other. Synthesist is just my favorite because you don't just become Nosferatu Zodd, you can become a God Hand too.

A hidden benefit of going synthesist is that while the party fighter will hate you for going all Annie Get Your Gun on him and the GM will freak out about you hulking out, it's arguably still better than Master Summoner crapping out multiple Summon Monster spells at once and playing merry hell with initiative and action management. The Angel Summoner Celestial Commander (poor BMX Bandit Cavalier) is completely dedicated to this tactic and does it even better than Master Summoner but has a mechanic to make summoning a single group of monsters stronger than summoning multiples (basically, minor stat boosts - it doesn't really work).

Also, is replying to multiple posts at once against forum etiquette?
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Silent Wayfarer wrote:Also, is replying to multiple posts at once against forum etiquette?
Not really, it's cool, you just have to be careful to make sure that each quote is attributed to each person correctly, which is a little extra work sometimes.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

Insomniac wrote: Makes me laugh, because Frank here pretty much was the original "Yeah, Casters Do It Better!" troll with the Cleric Archer build.
Forget not the grapple wizard
(I've always really liked that one - pretty much ended all casters-vs-beatsticks arguments in my group forever)
Insomniac
Knight

Post by Insomniac »

ACOS wrote:
Insomniac wrote: Makes me laugh, because Frank here pretty much was the original "Yeah, Casters Do It Better!" troll with the Cleric Archer build.
Forget not the grapple wizard
(I've always really liked that one - pretty much ended all casters-vs-beatsticks arguments in my group forever)
Oh yeah. Those things. As the game goes on, more and more options will exist for the magic casters. Substantially more stackable, pre-requisite free options.

There really wasn't any reason to play a martial combatant, even if
you wanted to do martial combat, when clerics, druids and wizards were around, at the end of the game.

So if not at the game's inception, shortly thereafter, a bunch of splatbooks like Fromunda Cheese for Casters, pardon me, Spell Compendium, will be printed and it will obsolete martial combatants. Even if it doesn't happen at the onset, it is only a matter of time with 3.5 design philosophy.
Last edited by Insomniac on Fri May 02, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

@Magic Beats Martial, by design? Hmm, sort of unlimited topic necro on this one, isn't it. Soz.
Drolyt wrote:
tussock wrote:The designers totally just intended this state of affairs, over and over again.
The rest of your post doesn't really support this.
The rest of the post was more true than the brief generalisation.
See, the fact that they kept patching the fighter strongly implies they wanted it to be a useful class. As I understand it exceptional strength and the bit where warrior classes get more from a high constitution were both added on to make fighters better. Also fighters didn't even get a 1d10 hit die until AD&D. Plus all the things you mentioned. It seems that someone wanted fighters to not suck.
The d10 in 1975 with Greyhawk. That someone was E. Gary Gygax, who served the game from 1972 until 1985. Frank Mentzer was his best bud at the company and also did shit to help Fighters, like crazy-tables full of weapon mastery that ... it's complicated, but they don't stop 20d6 fireballs.

UA had stuff like double normal stat mods for Barbarians and randomised +1/2 levels to physical stats for Cavaliers/Paladins as trial balloons for the 2nd edition martial classes. The concept was to replace random %-Strength with more reliable class bonuses. Plus huge class-based damage mods for martial classes.

But it wasn't enough to really change things, and he also wanted to split the Mage up into even more classes with shorter lists and more natural restrictions, split the Clerics up with specialty mods like the FR priests got in the end, and shift the hit point balance up and with a bigger gap to casters. Beef the monsters up a bit to keep them safe from the easy spells but keep the martial types well ahead of them.

Gary thought Lords should slaughter Giant clans while riding subdued Dragons as their armies lobbed great siege stones at the problems from a safe distance. Awe humanoids into service and use them as trap fodder. That's how his office games played out. But most people were still choosing casters, so he was working on making it better.

http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.co.nz/ ... ition.html

That's a gigantic EGG quote-fest from various sources about what might have been, had Lorraine Williams not captured D&D and frozen it in time to half-ass 1985 standards for fifteen years of slowly giving Wizards more and better spells and Fighters more rules that fucked them over for using a sword.
I'm pretty sure Cook just thought it would be more fun if casting was easier and didn't think it through. I'm not sure he was entirely wrong, I love 3e casting mechanics.
Monte Cook is a good game designer. He and Skip Williams had long and heated arguments about what exactly it was kept Wizards' players from dominating AD&D games, when mechanically it was so easy.

Skip thought the old restrictions trained players to let other classes handle as much as possible for so long that it just became a habit. Monte thought it was table manners and the restrictions served no real purpose. They're both right, but with the brakes taken off, eventually Wizard players lost patience with all the sandbagging. Took about ... six months in my home games, at least to all be multi-class casters, but from there it was soon everyone a full caster. Except poor me and the odd other holdout.

But the magic system itself is vastly better in 3e (along with most mechanics). Stacking, interactions, figuring out what things actually do by the book, it just works. Great job. No stupid ass weapon speed factors vs casting times and blind initiative. But the saves stopped working, and that in itself is unforgivable in a game where magic is awesome. Haste double your spell output while not helping the Fighters as much. WTF? Armour-piercing spells for everyone, all the time? Shoot a bow at 400' and it's -lots, a spell and it's about +10 because you ignore armour? Why? Because fuck Fighters is why.
I don't think they really intended for clerics to be the "best class", they just wanted them to not suck and went too far.
Dragon 267, Jan 2000 wrote:Fortunately, playing a cleric gets a lot better with the new edition of the D&D game.
We talked to designers Jonathan Tweet and Skip Williams ... to learn how they plan to make clerics more players' first choice.
They were betting on 4-PC parties, and always having someone wanting to play a Cleric. Out of 11 classes. That's got to be a really good class, in ways that stand out. Which it does. They wanted it, they got it, they're professionals, it wasn't an accident. OK?
Drolyt wrote:
tussock wrote:Another thing they "fixed" for 3e was Fighters who were comparatively hard to kill. Everyone got more hit points and the monsters got way higher damage, and Fighters suddenly are useless compared to any old cheap-ass summons, let alone a polymorph.
Again, I'm pretty sure their goal was to avoid rocket tag gameplay, not to nerf fighters.
Yes, they re-nerfed 1-round Fireball annihilation by raising everyone's hit points. But the increase in most monster attacks and damage to being vastly above the Fighter output at all levels was new to the game. The hit points too, monsters routinely have double what a Fighter gets, up from about the same.

Simple numbers, the monsters (like the Clerics) are better fighters than the Fighters are, and it's one spell to bring multiple monsters to the table from 1st level. That wasn't a mistake, that was deliberately making things that would eat multiple rounds of Fighter output and making them caster pets at lower level than ever before. Plus Charms and easier demon-summoning and Polymorph that gives you everything the monster has.

They did that to suit their new initiative system. Which choked on the classic big fights against hordes of mooks. So they cut back the numbers of monsters and increased their hit points and damage. And when that made them better than Fighters, that was the idea. It's not out of spite, but they totally noticed and just went ahead with it. Fighters being incompetent and useless was a price they were willing to pay, on the grounds that people wouldn't notice if there was a Cleric and Wizard around. Like forever.

AD&D Fighters do also suck for a long time without spell support and healing, but AD&D Casters have a hard time of life without their quality meat shields too. 3e casters lost that, spell interruption is impossible in comparison.
Could you provide some evidence for this?
Gelugon, CR 13. 3.0/3.5
HP: 114/137
AC: 28/32
Att: +17/+20
Dam: 1d8+9/2d6+9
DC: 21/23
SR: 25/25

They're like that across the board, same monster, same CR, just dramatically harder to sword and more dangerous to stand next to, but not any harder to magic for the most part. It became the monster that Fighters simply fail against. But they are actually easier to make pets of in 3.0, with slightly lower HD and saves, so that bit was bullshit.

The top end really jumped, but it got +x CR too, so whatever. Most just got a bunch of anti-Fighter tweaks because ... unfortunately my google-fu is not up to finding people complaining about demons and devils being weak-sauce in 2001. But I'm pretty sure it was just that Fighters had killed monsters, boo hoo.

Dragons? OD&D: ~30 hit points. AD&D ~60 hit points, 3rd level spells. 2nd edition ~200 hit points, 5th level spells. 3e ~700 hit points, 9th level spells. Giants a bit slower, but dramatic too. Attacks and damage for both through the roof every edition.

You are giving the Pathfinder devs way too much credit. Remember that they told everyone martial was buffed and then stealth nerfed them in a way most players wouldn't notice. I refuse to believe they are actually competent enough to do that on purpose.
When Frank & K went there and told them how Rogues worked, they didn't know. But once they learned, there was a line-by-line edit pass to remove from the game everything that let Rogues keep up with casters. As Frank & K had pointed out everything, everything got the nerf-bat. Thus their shitty Rogues. Deliberately.

That thing where they fucking hate Monks? They hate Monks! It's just that simple. There's a change in Pathfinder where Mirror Image doesn't stop you being targeted with spells, just with weapons. Really. It's a common monster spell-like at high levels. The game is full of that shit. Even the spell nerfs were entirely for things you could actually give a Wizard a bad day by casting at them.

Even the Polymorph changes. Who does that really fuck but the Troll-Fighters and Tiger-Monks and scary secret surprise monsters. Hmm? Clerics don't care, they can still be giant Clerics. Wizards never used it for themselves anyway, better things to do.
Except people are always complaining about martial types not having nice things. There is a problem where a lot of people want them to somehow not suck while also not doing anything but swing their sword, but that is just cognitive dissonance.
You can trivially build a game where swinging your sword gets you up close and personal with troublemaking Evil gods and then kills them by stabbing as the campaign climax. The story of GDQ is exactly that happening, though the final module notes Gods may be harder to kill than that if the DM so chooses for their campaign, but they are not so by default in AD&D. It's not even a problem.

2nd edition AD&D was the first time that the default was to have gods which you could not just stab and take over their portfolio. The Time of Troubles for the Realms is just that, humans stabbing several gods and taking their divine portfolios. The end-game in Mentzer-D&D is just stabbing stuff until you ascend to being an immortal, on less XP than a Wizard does.

It's really not cognitive dissonance. 3e doesn't allow martial characters to win, not at all, the progressions aren't even close, but you can just design to allow martial characters to win in any game. In AD&D you stab giants and drow and then step through the drow portal to stab the drow's god and take all their Clerics away forever.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Not only does the Grapplemancer* do grappling better, they actually make it more fun. Partly because of the buff size/time trade-off to think about, partly because they get to Daze people and crap (and later on constrict them or pull their brains out - or use telekinesis to grapple them from a distance, and no part of the description there says your Constrict and Save-vs-Daze grapple attacks don't apply!)

Actually making it more fun than just a modifier of +$TEXAS (which they also have) is a key part. Even though this leaves the Urak' Guy feeling sad about not being the best wrestler.

*I'd name it "The Shining Wizard", after the wrestling move of the same name, but it's an obscure move so basically nobody would get the reference. Besides, I'm not sure I get to just officially name other peoples' creations.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Insomniac wrote: a bunch of splatbooks like Fromunda Cheese for Casters, pardon me, Spell Compendium, will be printed and it will obsolete martial combatants.
You are an idiot. Nothing in Spell Compendium is cheesy. And certainly nothing obviates martial combatant by it's addition to the game that already has Divine Power and Polymorph.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Kaelik wrote:
Insomniac wrote: a bunch of splatbooks like Fromunda Cheese for Casters, pardon me, Spell Compendium, will be printed and it will obsolete martial combatants.
You are an idiot. Nothing in Spell Compendium is cheesy. And certainly nothing obviates martial combatant by it's addition to the game that already has Divine Power and Polymorph.
While I agree and SC actually slightly nerved some spell,
the actual point of spells in every splat Book (which SC only reprinted), stands.
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

Kaelik wrote:You are an idiot. Nothing in Spell Compendium is cheesy.
Wraithstrike.

Perhaps it is more accurate to say that there is nothing in SC that is cheesy that wasn't cheesy before SC reprinted it. It did pull some fun things out of campaign settings though, for folks who cared about cross-campaign contamination.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Pixels wrote:
Kaelik wrote:You are an idiot. Nothing in Spell Compendium is cheesy.
Wraithstrike.

Perhaps it is more accurate to say that there is nothing in SC that is cheesy that wasn't cheesy before SC reprinted it. It did pull some fun things out of campaign settings though, for folks who cared about cross-campaign contamination.
You're still an idiot. Seriously, your example is a spell that gishes use to make melee combat better. Most casters will never bother to learn the spell, and be better off for it because it is a bullshit spell in 90% of cases.

The stuff in core is as a whole more powerful than the stuff in spell compendium. Spell Compendium expands options, but all of the casters' raw power came right out of the core books.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

More options means more power. The one who benefits most is the cleric - with full access to all newly available spells. I remember Stalwart Pact as one that made a big difference in an Eberron Campaign.

I suppose that it came from Complete Divine, but I think it was reprinted. Ah, Complete Divine - giving divine metamagic to the world.
-This space intentionally left blank