[Let's Play] Blood Sword II - The Kingdom of Wyrd

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

That'd be my preference, actually.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

COMBAT LOG:
Round 1 ... FIGHT!

Awareness 8 acts ...

Trickster Defends

Stalker fights Warrior. Roll = 8. (Miss.)

Awareness 6 acts ...

Warrior Defends.

Sage moves adjacent to Stalker.

Enchanter attempts to cast Servile Enthralment. Roll = 4 + 5 = 9. (Success!) Stalker rolls 8 and fails to resist.

Stalker is Enthralled.
That didn't take long.....

ENCHANTER:
You have the skeletal Stalker under Servile Enthralment. The spell will not continue to control it for very long, for, although the creature is not itself very resistant to sorcery, you sense magical energy passing into it from an external - and inexhaustible - source. If you want to ask the creature any questions about its origins and purpose, you must be quick with them.

If you just want to kill it, turn to 303. If you demand to know who sent it, turn to 410. If you ask what it is, turn to 339.
What do you want to know? (Enchanter's choice, of course)
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

"Who's trying to kill us this time?"
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Its skeletal jaws drop open and you hear a chilling voice speak in answer to your question. 'Magus Tor sent me: he who is of the rightful Tor lineage. He who survived the Blasting. He now seeks to slay you. Only throgh me can you hope to avert your fate...'

If you ask it how you may avert your fate, turn to 158. If you do not want to delay any longer but kill it now, turn to 303.
Do you want to kill it now?
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Yeah, yeah, we can avoid Tor killing us by having this skelly do us in instead. Kill it now.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

It's probably going to say some crap about "by me slaying you" or something like that. Bash the skeleton's head in before it can try.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Since we just got the shiny new scabbard that we should never ever part with on pain of Bad Things Happening™, my money's on "give me the scabbard". So kill it now.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Shiritai wrote:Yeah, yeah, we can avoid Tor killing us by having this skelly do us in instead. Kill it now.
Darth Rabbitt wrote:It's probably going to say some crap about "by me slaying you" or something like that. Bash the skeleton's head in before it can try.
It's actually the other way round. Its answer would have been something along the lines of 'your only hope was to kill me while you had the chance....and now you've lost that chance because you waited too long!' And then it breaks free of the spell and fights us again......with enhanced stats.

The thing about this encounter is: choosing to fight it straight away was the correct option, but as I said before the fight is rather underwhelming this way. This encounter is probably more entertaining and potentially become as scary the setup hinted if we tried to run from it, because the longer the Stalker is on earth, the stronger it gets. It will track us down in a potentially lengthy sequence (depending on our subsequent options), and even use illusions to set traps for us. But yeah, fighting it immediately leads to an almost ridiculously easy fight given the build-up....especially if the Enchanter or one of the archer decided to fire missiles and spells at it as it was getting closer.

If the Enchanter summoned a Faltyn, it will immediately bail on us, citing his fear of the Magi's powers, which might be the book's attempt to mislead the players into running away.
The creature's bones slowly turn into a pasty, mouldering dust, and you are sickened as you smell the fetid stink of advanced decomposition. Its tattered black robe turns from black to grey and then is blown away like a cobweb in the light forest breeze. After a few seconds all that is left of the creature are its two blue crystalline eyes sitting on top of a small mound of white dust. You may take the eyes if you wish (mark them down on your Character Sheet; together they count as one Encumbrance item). You have no desire to linger any longer in the forest, and you decide to get out of it before making camp.
Let me know if any of you wish to pick up the skeleton's eyes.
You walk on for many hours. Long after the Blue Moon has disappeared over the edge of the trees, the crescent sickle of the true moon rises above you. By its light you find a track that eventually takes you out of the forest, just as the sun is rising ahead of you. Though tired, you trudge on until about midday, when you reach a village. You see an inn in the main street of the tiny settlement. A sign over its door reads: The Sun in Winter.

If you would like to enter the inn, turn to 429. If you would like to stop and question a peasant, turn to 352. If you would prefer just to continue along the road, turn to 267.
Classic adventuring options! Booze! Chat! Do we go for either?
Last edited by SGamerz on Tue May 12, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Pepito will grab the shinies.

Also, question the peasant.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Yes, talk to the peasant.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

An old pedlar staggers by carrying his pack, and is only too glad to stop for a chat with you. He starts stuffing his clay pipe full of vile-smelling tahac weed as he begins to praise his wares. 'Everything a bargain!' he declares, blowing a cloud of dense, choking smoke over you.

If you would like to buy something, turn to 320. If you just want to ask him where you are, turn to 146. If you decide it is time you were moving on, you may either go into the inn or walk through the village and continue your journey.
More classic adventuring options: shopping or exposition!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Let's see if he has anything good for sale.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Ask him where we are? But we're right here!

Check out his goods for sale.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

'Right you are,' he says. 'I've got plenty of things for you. Plenty of adventuring clobber.' He undoes his pack and displays his wares on the road. You can see immediately that most of it is junk. The only articles
of any interest and their prices are:

a pouch of tahac, eighteen gold pieces
a clay pipe, six gold pieces
six arrows, one gold piece each.

After purchasing what you want, you bid him farewell. You may now enter the inn or continue on your way.
Smoking items? Not the kind of loot you usually see in these books...

The Sage has used only 2 arrows thus far (and the Trickster still has a full quiver back-up).

Let me know what you wish to buy, and whether you want to go for a drink (or barfight) after that.

Coincidentally, everyone has 2 empty slots each atm (the Warrior ate another meal after the Stalker fight since his END was still below max).

Adventure Sheets:

WARRIOR:
NAME: Dame Caecilia Wither-Stoat

Battle Order: 1

Fighting Prowess: 11 (+1 from Enchanted Sword)
Psychic Ability: 6
Awareness: 6
Endurance: 16/17
Damage: 1 Die+2

Items:
1 Enchanted Sword (+1 FP)
2 Chainmail armour (Armour Rating three)
3 Money pouch (85 gold pieces)
4 Opal Medallion
5 Food (eat one for +1 EN after combat)
6 Blood Sword Scabbard
7 Healing Salve (5 applications, restores 1 Die of END each)
8 Shielding Charm (+1 AR)
9-10 Empty slot
TRICKSTER:
NAME: Benedict of the Crimson Spires, Honourable Duelist

Battle Order: 2

Fighting Prowess: 7
Psychic Ability: 6
Awareness: 8
Endurance: 19/19
Damage: 1 Die+1

Items:
1 Sword
2 Ringmail armour (Armour Rating two)
3 Food (eat one for +1 EN after combat)
4 Bottle of Chimera Spittle
5 Quiver (6 arrows)
6 Money pouch (71 gold pieces)
7 Harp
8 Silver Wolf's head clasp
9-10 Empty slot
SAGE:
NAME: "Pepito" Cascadero, Master of the Mystic Way

Battle Order: 3

Fighting Prowess: 7
Psychic Ability: 7
Endurance: 16/16
Damage: 1 Die+1

Items:
1 Quarterstaff
2 Breastplate (Armour Rating one)
3 Sharp Knife
4 Money pouch (71 gold pieces)
5 Magic Bow (Damage 1 Die+1)
6 Quiver (4 arrows)
7 Chequers board and pieces
8 Blue Crystal Eyes
9-10 Empty slot
ENCHANTER:
NAME: Enchanter Reed, Ninth of the Inverted Tower

Battle Order: 4

Fighting Prowess: 0
Psychic Ability: 15 (14) (+1 from Ring of Sorcery, -1 from carrying 1 spell in mind)
Endurance: 16/16
Damage: 1 Die

Items:
1 Sword
2 Silver armour (Armour Rating two)
3 Opal Medallion
4 Golden Snuffbox
5-6 Food (eat one for +1 EN after combat)
7 Ring of Sorcery (+1 PA)
8 Money pouch (71 gold pieces)
9-10 Empty slot
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Buy tahac (maybe we can use it to throw (were)wolves off our trail or something), two arrows, and go for a barfight.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Yeah, I'll buy the two arrows I used up. EDIT: and the tahac.

Also buy the pipe since I suspect that when we're given the option to use the tahac we'll need to smoke it.
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Wed May 13, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I think the tahac is going to be a trap, like all smoking options in '80s gamebooks. But it's your money.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Nah, I meant like "we light it up, fake a puff and pass it to some guy who takes it for real and dies of magic lung cancer starts coughing."

The only "smoking is bad" thing I can think of in a gamebook is in City of Thieves. There any others?
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

We've got plenty of cash; may as well buy some tahac on the off-chance it'll get future werewolves off our scent.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The Sage will re-fill his quiver, and I'm assuming whomever that suggested buying the other itens first will pay for/keep them (Trickster for tahac, Sage for pipe).

Then the party enters the inn behind the eager Trickster, since none of the others could decide where they want to go.
The landlord greets you loudly as you push open the low door leading into the main room of the inn. 'Rooms are one gold piece each,' he declares. 'Dinner likewise will also cost a gold piece.'

If you can afford two gold pieces, turn to 80. If you cannot afford the food and the room, turn to 103.
Even after buying all the stuff from the pedlar outside, everyone else still has more than enogh gold for this.
You quickly stretch out on the freshly laundered sheets on the bed of your room and are soon in a deep and dreamless sleep. Your sleep gives you back half your rank in Endurance points (halves round up). Once you have slept, you return to the main common room where a roast lamb is turning on the spit over the fire. You eat your share and recover a further one Endurance if you are still wounded after your sleep.
The Warrior is back to full END. (All the others already are)
You have slept through almost to dawn. You find the landlord up and about his chores. 'How long will you be staying in Misdraex?' he asks. Not waiting for a reply, he continues: 'Headin' east, are you? To Port Quanongu?' You are about to reply when he says: 'Gettin' a boat from there, I expect.'

He leans on his broom looking at you. You think you have a chance to get a word in, but he goes on after barely drawing breath. 'Oh well, no business of mine if you don't want to tell me. Got some travellers turnin' up at noon, so I'll thank you to pay up or clear out by then.' Hearing his wife approaching, he returns to sweeping the floor.

There is an old knight sitting by the empty hearth with a bowl of soup. If you want to talk to him, turn to 143. If you decide to be on your way, turn to 116.
No barfights? What a disappointment!

Talk to the knight and challenge him to a bar-duel?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Yes, talk.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

We've greeted the day; now greet the knight.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Shiritai wrote:We've greeted the day; now greet the knight.
Agreed. I'm going to hate myself for this, but...

he knight know something useful.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

He looks at you with rheumy eyes as you step over to talk to him. He listens to your introduction and then motions you to sit beside him. He stirs the cold embers in the grate with a poker, and begins his tale.

'I was once as young and healthy as you. Though old and broken now, I was a straight sapling in my youth - my waist was then as thin as my wheezing chest is now, and my chest then was as broad as this paunch I presently wear. Age, that implacable foe, has not been kind to Varadaxor, Knight of Lushon. Here I must sit to the end of my days, unavenged. And when I gulp my last of Middle-Earth's air, the thought that shall rankle in my breast and burn my brain is that the evil Lady in Grey has not been slain for her unholy crimes!'

If you ask him to go on with his story, turn to 301. If you decide not to waste any more time but to hurry on your way, turn to 116.
Are we entertained by his story?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I'm wary of taking a sidequest from someone named Varadaxor, but let's hear him out.