[Politics] Abortion Failure Megathread

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

While, honestly, the US Navy site would be enough to clear up confusion for normal folks, there still seems to be some serious confusion here. I've taken the liberty of contacting the US Navy and a friend in the educational programs department at the museum in New Orleans to see if perhaps you guys are right.

With luck, we'll get an answer from an expert in a few days.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
K
King

Post by K »

Doom wrote:While, honestly, the US Navy site would be enough to clear up confusion for normal folks, there still seems to be some serious confusion here. I've taken the liberty of contacting the US Navy and a friend in the educational programs department at the museum in New Orleans to see if perhaps you guys are right.

With luck, we'll get an answer from an expert in a few days.
Well, Google Books has an answer.

According to Admiral Farragut, by Alfred Thayer Mahan, they had captured nine ships.

The entire length of his command was a single trip to port with the other eight ships before being returned to his ship. There were twelve seamen and a captain to act as his "adviser" in case the ship got separated from the group. His role as "prizemaster" seems to have been this single act.

Apparently, he was also only a midshipmen of the Captain's gig. So yeh, his rank related to the little dingy they dragged around to get to shore.

I think the truth has actually made me less impressed. The story seems to have been talked up because the "adviser" captain had yelled at him before the kid tattled to his superiors and got the guy yelled at in return.

There are also some rather cute stories of him falling asleep at watch because... you know... he was 12.
Last edited by K on Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

so what does this have to do with abortion
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Heck if I know, and I admit even if I got the Capt to give me something in writing better than "those armchair warrior pussies wouldn't last 10 minutes in that situation", it won't change a thing....so, yeah, go back to abortion, becuase lots was getting accomplished there.
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
KaNT
NPC

Post by KaNT »

It's the hypocrisy of the issue that annoys me. If I kill a fetus via abortion, it's perfectly legal. If I kill it by shooting it's mother in the face 15 times, it's a double homicide. I just want the government to make up it's mind on the matter. Either it is a person, and abortion should be against the law, or it isn't and killing a pregnant woman should only be a single homicide.
General Scott wrote:The only unforgivable mistake is a common one.

Sometimes to fight the darkness, one must walk in shadows.
sabs wrote:DUDE REALLY?
You just skullfucked a zombie post from 2005 just to say Thumbs up?
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

kant arrives on scene with a strong first post
Ant wrote:
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Because gamers are an excellent source of political information.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

all nerds are a bunch of narcissistic, entitled, whining brats who think their allegedly superior intellect makes them an expert on the political process.

GUYS MY PALADIN HAS A +5 SWORD NOW HERE'S HOW WE FIX AMERICA
Last edited by Psychic Robot on Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ant wrote:
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Indeed. I've known nerds who were at all areas of the political spectrum, and they all had really smart reasons as to why they thought stupid things.

I try to not think about it. I see politicians the same way that the ancient Europeans saw the gods: Childish, bickering deities that would gladly destroy the world to make a point that don't have the first thought about mortals and their trials.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Dang, both Count and PR have sig-worthy quotes, a dead tie. Using WWF rules, I won't change it, then, but both good ones all the same.
Vnonymous
Knight

Post by Vnonymous »

Much like a certain comedy website, I consider myself pro death. Not only should you be able to get an abortion whenever you want, you should be able to get a legal abortion whenever you want - a father should be able to say "I do not want my genetic material used to create a child. If you do not have an abortion, I will contribute no financial or material support to the raising of this child, and it has no claims on me whatsoever."

And even then, I support this up until like age 3. You're not really conscious until you're 3 and a bit years old or something, and even then I don't care because it is highly likely that dolphins and fish and dogs are sapient, and I don't care if a salmon had to feel pain for me to eat it. Circumstances can change pretty readily, and its' perfectly fine for a child to be given up for adoption or whatever when the main breadwinner falls into a coma or starts requiring expensive medical treatments that prevent them from working.
Gx1080
Knight-Baron

Post by Gx1080 »

I'm pro-life because a)The arbitrary week number is bullshit and b)Is murder, and fuck you all I don't want to discuss it because it is.

I'm not going to pretend this to be anything else besides my own prejudices.
Vnonymous
Knight

Post by Vnonymous »

Gx1080 wrote:I'm pro-life because wah wah wah wah I'm a baby who doesn't like discussing complicatd issues, and it makes me feel bad to think that bad things happen to babies somewhere
quanta
Journeyman

Post by quanta »

I'm pro-life because I feel children don't reach their most tender stage until age 2. Lambs are more delicious than lamb fetuses.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Sigged.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Gx1080 wrote:I'm not going to pretend this to be anything else besides my own prejudices.
That's good, because:
Gx1080 wrote:I'm pro-life because a)The arbitrary week number is bullshit and b)Is murder, and fuck you all I don't want to discuss it because it is.
you claim A is arbitrary and then presuppose B based on that.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

me wrote:So. Serious question time.

Suppose that you as a pro-lifer totally got your way on this issue. No compromise, you get everything exactly the way you wanted it as far as the law is concerned. What should be the punishment for aborting a fetus? Should the punishment be increased the further along said fetus is in the pregnancy? What exceptions will you allow if any?
I demand to get a serious, non-waffling answer to this question someday. Just give me a goddamn fine amount or jail time or whatever. I have had no success with this on other boards or in real life getting a straight answer, but hope springs eternal. :kindacool:
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

seven lashes for early term abortions, a dozen for late term abortions. abortions when the fetus has fully developed into a baby and will surely survive outside the womb carry the penalty of death on the count of murder
Ant wrote:
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

at/beyond the point that "person-hood" is determined (whatever that may be), it's murder, and should be prosecuted accordingly.
as was pointed out earlier (twice), the guy who kills a pregnant woman gets hit with a double-murder. I need consistency in my laws.
Oh -- "but then you'll go back to back-alley coat-hanger abortions" ..... when a murder gets hurt/killed carrying out their murderous activity, I find it hard to feel bad for them.
*WARNING*: I say "fuck" a lot.
"The most patriotic thing you can do as an American is to become filthy, filthy rich."
- Mark Cuban

"Game design has no obligation to cater to people who don’t buy into the premise of the game"

TGD -- skirting the edges of dickfinity since 2003.

Public Service Announcement
Datawolf
Journeyman

Post by Datawolf »

Grek wrote:Sigged.
Your sig is both awesome and highly disturbing. Just the way I like 'em.
Psychic Robot wrote:
Pathfinder is still a bad game
but is it a bad enough game to rescue the President?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

wotmaniac wrote:at/beyond the point that "person-hood" is determined (whatever that may be), it's murder, and should be prosecuted accordingly.
Why? Deaths from medicine are obviously held to a different standard than other deaths. Lack of universal health coverage kills an American every twenty minutes, if a senator filibusters the healthcare debate for four hours, should we charge him for twelve murders?

-Username17
Gx1080
Knight-Baron

Post by Gx1080 »

Because there's a difference between an honest mistake and murdering on purpouse?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Because once you are born, you have to have money to keep deserving to live, and if you don't have money, then you should just go die in a gutter like you deserve.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Because once you are born, you have to have money to keep deserving to live, and if you don't have money, then you should just go die in a gutter like you deserve.
Ant wrote: