Video Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Yeah, you should have asked around here, I would have warned you. WWE would rather push their own guys and sell DLC wrestlers than let you crank out reasonable facsimiles of old favorites and indie guys in CAW. The only reason they've relented and let sandbox elements creep back in is because sales really dropped off and they're starting to figure out that maybe it's a bad idea to throw gasoline on a dumpster fire.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

So professional wrestling fans are smarter and more discerning than baseball, basketball, and American and International football fans, then? How mortifying for those people.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I didn't think anyone here played wrasslin games and would be able to offer advice.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:So professional wrestling fans are smarter and more discerning than baseball, basketball, and American and International football fans, then? How mortifying for those people.
It's more like we're self-aware enough to realize that we're cheering for a bunch of asshole carny folk and that if we're going to be derisively called marks we better at least get a decent show out of the deal.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

It's also worth noting that there are many fans of wrestling video games (or fans of the idea of such, even if they don't like any of the recent actual creations), who aren't fans of professional wrestling.

I don't know if the same applies to basketball, handegg and so on - I can't try to figure out the mindset of someone who likes the sport video games or the actual sports.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Koumei wrote:It's also worth noting that there are many fans of wrestling video games (or fans of the idea of such, even if they don't like any of the recent actual creations), who aren't fans of professional wrestling.

I don't know if the same applies to basketball, handegg and so on - I can't try to figure out the mindset of someone who likes the sport video games or the actual sports.
I assume it's because they don't get to control the participants in the actual live [sport name]. And really, you don't need to be fan of MMA or karate to love Mortal Combat.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I play sports games occasionally, although I would hold that the form was perfected with NBA Jam and NFL Blitz. That's because I think of sports games as something I can actually convince non-gamers to try, so arcade simplicity beats the shit out of roster updates in my book. Shooters are so common now though that I don't even really need Madden for that anymore, but jerking off to the army all day hits me as super gross so I've never actually played a Call of Duty or Medal of Honor game. When it comes to shooters I could forgive someone for thinking that I'm basically a video game hipster.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

I used to dabble in the WWE games. Also a former fan of pro wrasslin' (stopped around 2000) I enjoyed Smackdown vs Raw 08 particularly and had a rather decent CAW, not sure if it let you play a female in career or not though as I only had a heavily gutted PS2 version. CAW system was a bit better on my buddy's Xbox360 though.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

WWE 13 is completely fucking shit, and they've removed the community section so you can't download other people's creations.

Honestly, were this America I'd use is for skeet shooting and at least get some joy out of it. But if the WWE can do anything, it's permanently ruining your fond memories of it and making you hate everything retroactively.

NJPW should put a game out, complete with "AJ Styles: cashing cheques and breaking necks*" mode.

*For those out of the loop, Styles left TNA to go wrestle for NJPW, joining Jeff Jarret's Bullet Club. In the past 12 months he's broken three wrestlers' necks with his Styles Clash, because they forget to tilt their head back instead of forward (unlike every other move in the world).
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I'll be super pissed if he cripples everyone on the roster. It'd be really hard to go back to living with only WWE chokeslams after what happened to Shane Haste. Although, tbh, I'm one of those dinguses who mostly watches NXT these days. Steen is doling out ring edge power bombs left and right.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Ouch, that is a very awesome-looking chokeslam. And I've given up on watching WWE altogether, though NXT at least has the benefit of Triple H not fucking everything up. I miss the days when he was paying for the Curtain Call.

Styles has about 200 different signature moves - any one of them could be a finisher. That says something about his versatility (compare: John Cena, Randy Orton). Hollowpoint (which is honestly a dangerous move on its own), Bloody Sunday (dangerous as well, but hasn't had these accidents), Calf Cutter, Pele Kick, Springboard Discus Clothesline, any arial move...

From what I've heard, he actually asked the promoters "Hey, people aren't used to this move here, it's been crippling them for real. Can I use my Calf Cutter as a finisher instead?" and the reply was basically "No way, the crowd love the Styles Clash, it builds heat!"

Anyway, the moral of the story is there needs to be another Rumble Roses game, but for PS3.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I'm loath to give up on WWE entirely because I want to live in a world where I like Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose. But, damn, WWE makes it so very, very hard to keep the faith. Rollins is just plain not allowed to beat Cena under any circumstances and Ambrose occasionally gets saddled with some truly demeaning prop comedy. Also, I can't shake the feeling that Dean Ambrose and my ex-girlfriend have the same taste in jackets, which is weird, because she's a 5'3" dental hygienist.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Seth Rollins makes a good heel. Shame he's doing so by being part of the Authority, which as a storyline needs to die (and had the opportunity not long ago). The Agents of SHIELD were great as a team, though only when actually competing as a team rather than just interrupting matches as though they were in the WCW. As it is, there's only room for one to make it big, and the designated success story is Reigns.

And I'm kind of sick of what happens with the Divas. How do we get Bella to win the title? Oh, her sister can kiss AJ! Hmm, AJ and Paige, really talented wrestlers who generate crowd interest, how can we work an angle for them? How about a pseudo-lesbian thing? They should go hard or go home: let them just have normal feuds and matches, or actually give us naked scissoring in the middle of the ring.

I don't mind which.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Koumei wrote: Anyway, the moral of the story is there needs to be another Rumble Roses game, but for PS3.
I was wondering about Rumble Roses, is there an actual game behind the fanservice, or that an afterthought? I'm cool with fanservice as long as the product is good.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

There isn't much in the way of a story line, but there's a solid game there. You can play it just fine as a game (admittedly a game you probably don't want other people seeing you play), with decent controls, although it is fairly focused on the fan service: the best way to win is through the humiliation finisher (which in turn is charged up by embarrassing your opponent), far more than just delivering finishers. And you're pretty much limited to one on one matches with regular rules (and possibly with No DQ?), I don't think the first one even had tag-team. You can forget Tables-Ladders-Chairs, Hell in a Cell, or No Rope Electrified Barbed Wire Swimming Pool Dynamite Double Hell Death Match*.

Seeing a new version with more wrestling content would be pretty rad. Add in Create-a-Wrestler mode and it's perfect.

*this actually happened in Japanese wrestling.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Koumei wrote: As it is, there's only room for one to make it big, and the designated success story is Reigns.
The only way this could ever become acceptable to me is if they promised that Reigns will never, ever speak again and that they will get rid of the weird li'l colored detailing on his pockets. These things bother me beyond all reason.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Warhammer 40,000 Armaggedon is a turn-based hex game set during WH40k's Second Armaggedon War. It holds the distinction of being the first WH40k strategy video game I know of in which you get Titans as a unit type.
Last edited by name_here on Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

And it's very true to the codices.
You have all the differen kinds and VARIANTS of infantry and tanks and bikes and artillery and everything else you ever heard about and then some . .
Aside from using hexes instead of distances for movement and firearms reach, WH40K Armageddon is basically as close as you will probably ever get to a straight up 1:1 port of the table top game to computer . .
Last edited by Stahlseele on Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I do wish they let units without dedicated close-combat weapons at least counter-attack when assaulted. It's weird how shoota boys are ineffective at punching, and guardsmen should be able to take at least a few grots.

Right now I'm playing through the campaign, pretty much running an armoured fist regiment. Lots of heavy weapons sections, everyone in chimeras except fresh recruits on defense missions, some tanks and artillery. The mobility is nice, but expensive. Keeping a full force of that costs enough that I can't afford to replace losses in the field.

I'd be kind of reluctant to go for a non-mechanized infantry force, though. The missions have time limits on them. Not very tight, but if you had to walk everywhere it would be kind of hard to take the time to reinforce. Maybe something like Cain's Vahallans, all mechanized but few heavy weapons or tanks, would be effective and let you reinforce.

The unit count cap could stand to be higher early on. Give more of an incentive for lots of unmounted standard troops.
Last edited by name_here on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

name_here wrote:It holds the distinction of being the first WH40k strategy video game I know of in which you get Titans as a unit type.
There was "Final Liberation", a turn-based strategy game based on Epic, with FMV cutscenes. It had titans and gargants.

It was fun, but had some problems like not having a way to easily see LoS and weapon ranges, so while the computer was very good at hiding his troops, you were left having to guess where your unit would be in cover and where it wouldn't. It also had short musics that would only play once, leading to long games without any music.

It also had a quirk in the campaign where all fights would always be balanced (same army cost on both sides). So if you only sent a few troops, the enemy would only have a few troops. If you rushed to get the titan as soon as possible, you could win all the battles by sending the titan alone. The opposing army would then always consist of only a few troops and tanks that your titan would wipe in a few shots.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

So, after hearing about the new class and content, I started FF14 again. I did like the game for the most part, just bored with the endgame.

Everybody fucking forgot how to tank in this fucking game in the past year somehow. I am a sloppy tank with piss-awful rotation and I have no problems holding all the aggro in the beginner dungeons. But if I want to level my rogue and play a ninja, I have to assume I'm going it alone (considering I kept my monk gear and there's a lot of overlap between monk and ninja gear I'm incredibly overgeared for my level so I can in fact tank myself for short periods of time, but still).
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I've played some of the Shadow Of Mordor DLC. So far, there's one big one and some minor ones.

Big one is Lord Of The Hunt, which has some new monsters and interactions between them and Uruks. Unfortunately, it's all gated off into a separate mini-campaign in Nurn. There's five pregenerated Beastmaster Warchiefs, and you and the dwarf hunter need to get control of the new monster types and use them to draw out the Beastmasters. Annoyingly, the designers really want you to do the Warchief attack missions, so they've locked out your ability to have branded Captains interact with them. You can't use duels to draw them out or even add your subordinates to their bodyguards.

The smaller ones basically just dump you in one of the maps with a fresh set of warchiefs and captains and tell you to murder a bunch of them and meet some conditions. Basically pretty much just refreshing the sandbox and giving some optional challenges.
Last edited by name_here on Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

WHY JAPAN?! WHY?!

For those wondering, a new Dragon Quest game will be released in North America around the same time the Koch brothers decide to give communism a try.

Because Square-Enix hates American DQ fans.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

From the looks of it, you can get the same gameplay experience playing (Dynasty/Samurai) Warriors.