Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

Didn't the political experts also predict that Trump would fall out of the race? The man who's now the presumptive candidate?
"Most men are of no more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into excrement." - Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Occluded Sun wrote:Didn't the political experts also predict that Trump would fall out of the race? The man who's now the presumptive candidate?
Polls-based models had Trump ahead from very early on, but pretty much everyone expected his standing in the polls to collapse or the field to consolidate around a more "respectable" candidate and leave him in something not unlike Sanders' position. That turned out to be a mistake. This time around, the polls-based models give Clinton a pretty good chance of victory. It will be a close race, because the vast majority of voters are very partisan and as a result it's difficult to have anything but close races, but nonetheless evidence suggests it's Clinton's election to lose and betting against her requires the same sort of "I know better than the numbers" that had everyone wrong about Trump to begin with.

That is a situation subject to change, of course - the general election hasn't even really begun, and there's a lot that could happen to change those polling numbers in the coming months.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, here's something that's been bugging me about Harley Quinn merch, and if there's a real reason, I figure someone here might know it-

Harley's actual motif in comics features three diamonds, themselves arranged such that a fourth diamond would make a diamond of diamonds-
Harley Quinn merch, however, always has a fourth diamond-
Mind you, this is all officially licensed merch, not third parties cashing in on a popular character in a not-copyright-infringing way.

So, is there some kind of reason for this? Or are the products just being designed by lazy fucks who don't know the character's actual motif?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Probably the latter.
Mix in the fact that the CUSTOMERS don't know and probably would think it to be wrong if they did it correct and complain and there you go.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Prak wrote:Ok, here's something that's been bugging me about Harley Quinn merch, and if there's a real reason, I figure someone here might know it-

Harley's actual motif in comics features three diamonds, themselves arranged such that a fourth diamond would make a diamond of diamonds-
Harley Quinn merch, however, always has a fourth diamond-
Mind you, this is all officially licensed merch, not third parties cashing in on a popular character in a not-copyright-infringing way.

So, is there some kind of reason for this? Or are the products just being designed by lazy fucks who don't know the character's actual motif?
Licensing is expensive. The easiest way for a company to make up the cost of licensing fees is to reduce design costs.

It's similar to how most movie tie-in video games are shitty shovelware.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

does gog.com not have a wallet functionality, or am i just too stupid to find it again?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Stahlseele wrote:does gog.com not have a wallet functionality, or am i just too stupid to find it again?
It does not.

And I personally agree with that, because wallet functionality is a terrible thing, though I understand why some might want it.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Thank you.
I for example use pay safe cards for purchases there and this means i have to try and wrangle stuff around to get as close as possible to the ammount of money the psc is good for with my purchase so as to minimize loss <.<
with a wallet, i would deposit the monies into the wallet from the psc and then buy stuff as they catch my fancy and still have some left in my virtual wallet there to use for other stuff and not simply lose it . .
Last edited by Stahlseele on Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Can't you use PayPal?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

No.
I tried to register an account with them.
They sent my a smallish ammount of money and asked me to tell them that ammount on their webpage but did not accept the ammount i entered.
And since then they keep asking for that ammount and saying i can't make a new account because an account with that bank account is already in their database.
And after what i have since heard about paypal from all different kinds of people, including close aquiantances, i also don't want to have anything to do with them anymore as well.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Is there any particular reason that Obama couldn't enact gun control through an executive order? I get that there are consequences to consider if he did, but he could, right?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Prak wrote:Is there any particular reason that Obama couldn't enact gun control through an executive order? I get that there are consequences to consider if he did, but he could, right?
Executive orders only apply to the executive branch. He could prohibit federal employees from carrying guns while on the job, but that's about it.
So it would only work if he wants to disarm federal law enforcement agencies and no one else.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Stahlseele wrote:No.
I tried to register an account with them.
They sent my a smallish ammount of money and asked me to tell them that ammount on their webpage but did not accept the ammount i entered.
And since then they keep asking for that ammount and saying i can't make a new account because an account with that bank account is already in their database.
And after what i have since heard about paypal from all different kinds of people, including close aquiantances, i also don't want to have anything to do with them anymore as well.
Paypal has always been good to me. You might want to try calling their customer service. I've found them to be very helpful.

Anyway, your best bet is probably to just pay with your normal bank debit card. GOG doesn't store any payment information, so there is very little chance that your card number would be stolen.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

With my bank account, it is impossible to make any purchases with the card itself.
So, no other way for me then huh?
OK, thanks, good to know anway.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

It sounds like you only have an ATM card. I don't know what the state of German consumer banking is, but an American in your position would be well-served by checking to see if his bank really didn't have a debit card available. It is exceedingly common, these days.

Even if your bank (or... credit union, maybe?) does not offer one, you're not without options. There are prepaid cards that you can recharge instead of buying new ones all the time. At a glance, I can find one such example on a wallet service that is explicitly named as a receptacle for the paysafe PINs you already have lying around. There's a ten dollar per year maintenance fee, but then you have an actual card, not some weird proprietary thing.
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yes, purely ATM Card.
That's the term i was looking for.
And over here, credit and debit cards are not nearly as widespread as over there.
MANY people i know rather deal with cash like in these paysafecards.
The less corps/other people and so on have our personal and or banking data the better.
I even have an anonymous prepaid sim card in my smartphone.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Are there any actual prerequisites for the title reverend? Is it reserved for ministers (denomination regardless), or can I just tell people I'd prefer they call me reverend over Mr. since there are no gender neutral honorifics that mainstream people won't laugh at?

Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

Yes. Ordination. You might as well go by Your Eminence.

And I genuinely cannot imagine anybody taking you more seriously as the Reverend Prak than Mx Prak, in which you have the support of the English government, or even Professor Prak, if you're going to just assume unearned credentials.

You could do Msr (Misser); it's close enough to Mssrs to give you some headspace without affiliating it with masculinity outright. You could also use Dom and style yourself "Dominum," employing the conjugation ordinary to neuter objects in that declension.

Or just refuse any kind of prenominal styling, which elides the issue until you're interested in taking it up.
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Ordination is actually really easy to get if you're willing to go with a shady internet church.

I'm an ordained minister.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, it's more a question of "do I literally have to get ordained, or is this a bullshit 'professional' honorific that no one's going to care about my qualifications for, unlike, say, barrister or doctor."

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Prak wrote:Yeah, it's more a question of "do I literally have to get ordained, or is this a bullshit 'professional' honorific that no one's going to care about my qualifications for, unlike, say, barrister or doctor."
Both.

You have to get ordained to really earn the title. It is trivially easy to get ordained, you can fill out a certification online and be ordained in Texas. No one will care if you are ordained who matters, because Reverend is a title that just means "guy who claims to know shit he doesn't know" but none of that will change that if you just assume the title, religious people who already hated you for being genderfluid will still hate you and question your credentials.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

I want to know more about these shady online church ordainments.

For...a friend.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Mask_De_H wrote:I want to know more about these shady online church ordainments.

For...a friend.
I got mine from the Church of Spiritual Humanism, which has the advantage of being compatible with everything because one of its core tenents is that you can practice whatever religion that you want.

Also, getting ordained is free, but that just adds your name to the rolls.You have to pay for an ordination kit to get your certificate.

The BAsic pack is $20 with shipping and includes a certificate, an ID card, and one blank ceremonial certificate of your choice (marriage, baby naming, or affirmation of love).

http://www.spiritualhumanism.org/

Exact marriage laws vary from state to state, and some states don't recognize online or mail order ordinations, so check your local laws. I live in a state that doesn't actually have any requirements, so that helps with the officiating. A cactus could perform a wedding here and it would still be legal. But this is not the case in other states.

Connecticut, for example, doesn't recognize such ordinations and its illegal for someone ordained online to perform a wedding, with a penalty of up to a year in jail and a $500 fine for the minister, on top of the marriage being null and void.

There are, of course, other online ministries that offer free or low-cost ordinations.

The Universal Life Church is the classic, which originally offered mail order ordinations in 1969.

http://www.ulc.org/ordination/
http://www.themonastery.org/ordination

Universal Life Church is also non-denominational and has no tenets. They also hand out Doctorates of Divinity for $33 plus shipping, but I think that's a bit too far.

American Marriage Ministries is a non-denominational church, which again has no tenets, that exists solely to perform weddings.
https://theamm.org/ordination-application/

And there's the Open Ministry, which is about the same.
http://www.open-ministry.org/

If you're looking for something more Christian, there is the Christian National Church. https://www.ministerregistration.org/

But most online ordination mills are run by people who don't care for traditional religion.

There are honestly a lot more. Just google.

What ordination actually means varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. In my home state of Georgia, it's unnecessary. You can totally just ordain yourself. There is no legal regulation on who can be a minister.

Connecticut, as mentioned, requires that a minister be a member of a bonafide church and considers such ordinations to be fraudulent.

But many simply require that Ministers be registered with a church, which is where the online ordination mills come in.

Most of them have free ordination and make their money selling the extras, like certificates and stuff.

Here's a navigable list of State laws

https://theamm.org/minister-licensing/
Last edited by hyzmarca on Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Hmm... I may register my own religion while I'm pursuing this. Because why the fuck not?

edit:

Also,
Kaelik wrote:Reverend is a title that just means "guy who claims to know shit he doesn't know"
Everyone on the internet should be able to use the title Reverend, then.
Last edited by Prak on Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

hyzmarca wrote:Ordination is actually really easy to get if you're willing to go with a shady internet church.

I'm an ordained minister.
I am as well from the Universal Life Church.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.