Video Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

@Blade
Err . . you are aware of the game Space Marine yes?
Granted, it is pretty bad, but isn't that basically what you are asking for here?

@Koumei
Tastes do differ.
I would have much less of an issue with the tactical battle map where levels get re-used . . but for fucks sake, at LEAST change the fucking starting positions of the races around! If i have a map in a city where orks start south and marines start north, then if i change from orks to marines i expect to start from the north on the same map instead of the marines suddenly starting from the south and the orks being where the marines were before on that map . . Even better if you could actually have simply different missions in the same levels! Eldar all sneaky like need to destryo some things in the city to make the orks attack the city. The orks simply seeing a target of opportunity and needing to plunder some stuff while the marines either try to hunt down the eldar to stop them from making the city a target of opportunity for the orks to attack or straight up defend the city against the orks.
I honestly liked the gameplay of DOW2 better than DOW1, because DOW1 was too much like the normal RTS games you were used to back then, what with base building, tiered units etc. The only thing that i liked about that was the actually different races playing very differently from each other. DOW2 is closer to what WH40K is on the tabletop, even if you are lacking in troops most of the time and it becomes a bit too much lane fighting instead of open battlefields where you can go wherever you like and do whatever you want to accomplish the mission goals . .
Last edited by Stahlseele on Tue May 03, 2016 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

My wishlist for DoW3:
-MP gameplay fun enough that you can use it for the campaign a la DC/Soulstorm. Although I wouldn't mind a Winter Assault one either where you can switch between factions on the run and then decide who backstabs the other first.
-Corny customized dialogue exchanges.
-Proper sized armies with multiple proper commanders, not DoW2's "You're playing the janitor with half a dozen dudes".
-I wouldn't mind DoW2's hero system where you buy wargear on the fly.

EDIT: The trailer doesn't show units running away while dodging bullets. Also squad sizes above 3 dudes. And they mention it will be closer to DoW1 besides commander upgrades. So there is true hope!

Also they mention something about battlecruiser battles. Wonder what's that about.

EDIT2: GAMEPLAY SCREENSHOTS!

EDIT3: Moar details.
-Cover consists of the circular structures you see in one of the screenies, you need to capture them, greatly reduce ranged damage but increase the melee damage you take.
-Seems like they want to keep the "pick units before game starts" element, but now the opponent will be able to counter-pick, and you'll have more than one choice, like 3 "elite" units per game.
Stahlseele wrote:@Blade
Err . . you are aware of the game Space Marine yes?
Granted, it is pretty bad, but isn't that basically what you are asking for here?
-Too linear. Dynasty warriors games have multi-stage arenas where you need to decide where you're needed most at the moment.
-Mook hordes too small. It's not a DW games unless you're eventually mowing through hundreds of dudes in a single screen.
-Only one playable character is a sad joke.
Stahlseele wrote: DOW2 is closer to what WH40K is on the tabletop, even if you are lacking in troops most of the time and it becomes a bit too much lane fighting instead of open battlefields where you can go wherever you like and do whatever you want to accomplish the mission goals . .
O'rrly?

DoW2: At best, you can field a force that is smaller than tabletop starter box that's worth about 500 points.
DoW1: You can field forces that are actually equivalent to the "average" 1500-200 point game range.

DoW1: You can set multiple win conditions so that some points are more important than others. Just like in tabletop!
DoW2: All victory locations are worth exactly the same all the time. Or disable them and have fun withering down the enemy base's huge HP.

DoW1:Infantry heavy weapons don't have limited fire arc. Just like in tabletop.
DoW2: Infantry heavy weapons have limited fire arc lolwhut Ithought this was 40K, not a CoH reskin.

DoW1: The infantry weapons with longer range are certain kinds of heavy weapons. Just like in tabletop.
DoW2: The infantry weapons with longer range are hand thrown grenades. WTF?

DoW1: You can simultaneously have a force commander, apotechary and librarian under your command simultaneously in MP! Just like in tabletop!
DoW2: Want a librarian and a force commander and an apotechary under your command simultaneously in MP? Go fuck yourself.

DoW1: You can "gasp" surround enemy units to prevent their escape! Just like in tabletop!
DoW2: Surrounded units can gain noclip with a convenient retreat button. In the grimderpness of space CoH, retreat is always an honorable option.

DoW1: Units that cowardly try to run away are units that you can shoot in the back just fine. Just like in tabletop!
DoW2: Units that cowardly run away get a speed buff and become able to dodge bullets. Seriously, if I wanted to play CoH, I would go play CoH.
Last edited by maglag on Wed May 04, 2016 12:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

@Stahlseele: I played Space Marines, I had fun with it. Not exceptional but fun. However, what I have in mind would be to put you you in the middle of a regular battle between two armies, as if playing one hero character in a WH40K tabletop game (with lots and lots of minis).

The video game that felt closer to the table top game to me was Chaos Gate. With the editor you could set up games that could be comparable to 2nd edition games and played in a more or less similar way (rule weren't exactly the same, but led to similar expectations).

I'm a SP player. For me DOW1 was fun but most of the time you just needed to build a strong defense and then max out everything and destroy the enemy in a single attack, as in most SP RTS out there. There were a few tweaks here and there but nothing groundbreaking.

DOW2 put itself in a difficult corner. The basic mechanisms are interesting and force you to use combined units and some tactics, but by themselves they would lead to repetition. So they added special abilities with a cooldown, and then it turned into a game of spamming them.
I've played the campaign of one of the extensions with the IG. I did all the game with just my commanding units. Regular units were too squishy to be of any use, and the commanding units did just fine on their own as long as I spammed the special abilities as soon as they were available. So the game was just "get to the next group of enemies", "use special abilities in the right order and on the right targets" rince and repeat.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Finally, diplomacy rules that work
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

That is just amazing.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I'm optimistic that Doom 4 might be decent. Judging by the gameplay videos it looks like it's fast paced, no chest-high walls you have to constantly hide behind, and you are able to carry more than two weapons at once. Also seems to take some stuff from Brutal Doom with the fatality moves (I don't care what anyone says, I consider the Doom comic to be canon. Also, I believe Doomguy is the Warhammer 40k Emperor despite a lack of empirical or anecdotal evidence).

After my first (and last) experience with pre-ordering games I will not pre-order this one and will wait until it's been out for a while to get it, but I am optimistic at this point.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

The multiplayer looks kind of shitty, but honestly: if you want multiplayer games you deserve shit there are other games for multiplayer, people probably want Doom for the single player. The multiplayer being bad will have no impact on whether or not I end up getting the game, and anyone else I've heard speak about the game has basically said the same thing: they're in it to run at the land speed record and shoot hundreds of monsters in the face and/or dick.

And even guys at Id have gone on record saying that Brutal Doom is the game they would have made if they had the technology and foresight back then. So... yeah, Brutal Doom is Real Doom, and Brutal Doom is the game the comic implied you were playing, and elements from that going into Doom 4? Sounds good to me. RIP AND TEAR.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I'm terrible at multiplayer games and likewise am not that concerned about multiplayer.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

I tried to play the open beta, but I get some bizzarre error about graphic cards and don't really have the patience/time to try to solve it.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote: Also, I believe Doomguy is the Warhammer 40k Emperor despite a lack of empirical or anecdotal evidence).
That's impossible. If doomguy was the 40K emprah, he wouldn't be so obsessed with hammers and swords. The legions would be equipped with power shotguns and thunder chainsaws.

And when Horus rebelled, doomguy would've gone "Don't worry, I've got this shit", and murderized the hell out of the traitor legions by himself instead of hiding inside some golden palace like a complete pussy.
Last edited by maglag on Sat May 07, 2016 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Koumei wrote: So... yeah, Brutal Doom is Real Doom, and Brutal Doom is the game the comic implied you were playing, and elements from that going into Doom 4? Sounds good to me. RIP AND TEAR.
Did you see the gameplay footage that they released? Anyone can make an awesome movie, and most games have awesome cutscenes now. This is actual gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljpBwguIqos
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

The most recent gameplay footage I had seen was TB's coverage of multiplayer, and before that, it was a relatively small clip that in retrospect seems to have been sped up. The movement is a lot slower in the one you linked there. Also not too happy about how TACTICOOL NOSCOPE so many of the guns are, they look more Halo than classic Doom. But then you get the chainsaw (the universal communicator!) and everything is wonderful again.

I do like that the finishing moves are really quick. You're not standing there like a tool, getting shot by everything else. Except when chainsawing, and that seems to be a deliberate drawback to the "this enemy is basically stunlocked for the rest of its life" aspect of it. The Brutal Doom finishers were hilarious, but there were obvious problems with some of them.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I'm not sure what you mean by noscope. I'm not familiar with Doom 3 but Doom 1 and 2 didn't have scopes (it just aimed at what you were pointing at regardless of level). I dislike games where I have to constantly aim down a scope, it gives me motion sickness. (I'm assuming admitting that using a scope makes me feel like barfing won't be interpreted as some sort of boast).
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

TACTICOOL NOSCOPE (I think there's meant to be a 360 in there or something) refers to just the look of the guns. Doom had sort of chunky looking weapons (albeit less so than Quake), and with the exception of the ornate double shotgun, the guns in that one look halfway between modern SWAT gear and the stuff they present in sci-fi.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Found the dark moon covenant.

Farron's watchdogs get summoned so infrequently, though the one time I did win a summoning was a lot of fun, giant crab finished off the trespasser
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

OgreBattle wrote:Found the dark moon covenant.

Farron's watchdogs get summoned so infrequently, though the one time I did win a summoning was a lot of fun, giant crab finished off the trespasser
I have never ever ever ever ever ever been summoned as a Darkmoon, despite entire characters spending their entire gamespan as Blue Sentinels and Darkmoons.

I literally wore Darkmoon while killing Silver Knights for concords for hours until I got enough concords for the ring. Yes really. Fuck this game's automatic summons.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

New Warhammer 40k shooter actually looks great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7nRTF2SowQ

Really captures the feel of the setting.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by noscope. I'm not familiar with Doom 3 but Doom 1 and 2 didn't have scopes (it just aimed at what you were pointing at regardless of level). I dislike games where I have to constantly aim down a scope, it gives me motion sickness. (I'm assuming admitting that using a scope makes me feel like barfing won't be interpreted as some sort of boast).
Doom 1 and Doom 2 didn't actually have a vertical axis at all. Heiget differences are essentially fake. Thus, aiming was much more simplistic.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Mon May 09, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

OgreBattle wrote:New Warhammer 40k shooter actually looks great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7nRTF2SowQ

Really captures the feel of the setting.
err . . i am missing something aren't i? ._.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

The joke is that the year 40,000 gives us the very cutting edge of WWI military technology. So you have big bulky clanking tanks, people in trenches with gas masks, smacking each other in the head with shovels, artillery batteries firing basically blindly at "over there" and so on.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Ah, thank you.

Also:
Stellaris is keeping me hostage, send help please, i have to sleep and go to work x.x
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

Battlefield 1 trailer description wrote:Experience the Dawn of All-Out War, Only in Battlefield 1.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Meanwhile, the trailer of Infinite Warfare is almost at 1,5 million dislikes. That's more than the likes than Dawn of Battlefield 1940K got.
Last edited by maglag on Tue May 10, 2016 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Really, they should have done Call of Duty: Napoleonic Warfare instead.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

"Experience exciting fast-paced gameplay with 1-minute reload musket rifles!

Play alongside thousands of players in tactical battles as you cooperate to form in square, phalanx or line!

Kill streaks gets you a 12 pound cannon horse-dropped to your position!"