What books are you reading now?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Datawolf
Journeyman

Post by Datawolf »

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. Also, Swan Song by Robert McCammon (for book club).
Psychic Robot wrote:
Pathfinder is still a bad game
but is it a bad enough game to rescue the President?
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I just finished AJ Jacob's The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible and I really enjoyed it. It was funny, informative, and broken up into super-quick chapters that were breezy reading.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Skeleton Crew by Stephen King. Good stuff.

Game On,
fbmf
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Mister Monday by Garth Nix. It was quite bad. I had assumed that his awesome Abhorsen trilogy meant that everything else he wrote would be awesome.

I was dead wrong.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

fbmf wrote:Skeleton Crew by Stephen King. Good stuff.

Game On,
fbmf
Fuck yes. What's your favorite story?

Also, I'm currently reading Barry Eisler's thriller/espionage novels about assassin John Rain. They're...okay. They certainly have their WTF moments, and I have pretty serious questions about dude's treatment of women, but in general they're a decent light read.
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Cynic wrote:Mister Monday by Garth Nix. It was quite bad. I had assumed that his awesome Abhorsen trilogy meant that everything else he wrote would be awesome.

I was dead wrong.
Granted, I read that book, like, five years ago, but I liked it.
Last edited by Chamomile on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

PoliteNewb wrote:

Game On,
fbmf

Also, I'm currently reading Barry Eisler's thriller/espionage novels about assassin John Rain. They're...okay. They certainly have their WTF moments, and I have pretty serious questions about dude's treatment of women, but in general they're a decent light read.
Gramma, Beachworld, and the Raft have all been very good, and I haven't yet found one that sucked. The one I cared for the least was probably the really short one where the tiger is in the boy's bathroom.

Game On,
fbmf
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

fbmf wrote:
PoliteNewb wrote:

Game On,
fbmf

Gramma, Beachworld, and the Raft have all been very good, and I haven't yet found one that sucked. The one I cared for the least was probably the really short one where the tiger is in the boy's bathroom.

Game On,
fbmf
Interesting. Agreement on "Here there be Tigers", disagreement on "Gramma". "The Mist" was probably my fave...either that or "The Reach" (last story).
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Finally managed to force myself through julian comstock . .
read fallen angels - wh40k horus heresy in between.
now am starting on reading the neuromancer omnibus.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
npc231
NPC

Post by npc231 »

Recently finished reading The Stand for the third time.

Now I'm reading Game of Thrones. I was inspired to do so by the HBO series of the same name.[/i]
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

The Savage Sword of Conan, issue #1 (and others to follow).

Comic prices have dropped like a stone the last few years, issue #1 in great condition would be worth in the hundreds...I got it for $11. Hoody hoo!
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Hundreds? No. Not for Savage Sword.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Weird, these guys must be idiots, then: http://comicbookrealm.com/series/1779/0 ... d-of-conan
Last edited by Doom on Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I have no idea, because I can't see shit on that site and it drives my script-killer mad. But I do own a copy of every Conan comic book printed in the US (and a few of the UK reprints), and I like to keep track of things. A 2010 Comic Book Price Guide gives a value of $60, which is about right in my experience - I paid $80 for a NM copy about six years ago, which makes it my fifth most expensive comic book ever purchased.

Unless the issue is CGC graded - which I continue to not understand the purpose of or desire for - there is no reason for SSoC#1 to be a hundred dollars, much less more.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

^^
^^
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I read my brother's copy of Mistborn today. More magic systems need to depend upon action-reaction pairs like that.

Also, Hazekillers get so badly owned by Mistborn I kind of wonder why they even exist.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

I've been too lazy to read in ages. Last time I touched a book that was not a D&D book was Lord of the Rings.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

John Barnes' One for the Morning Glory. First book in ten years that had me reaching for a dictionary.

This is due to the fact that a number of words are consistently replaced with obscure similarly-looking or -sounding words. Reviewers have commented on that, but not a single one has presented an interesting theory why Barnes did that ("lol absurdist joke" is not an interesting theory).

All replaced words refer to pseudo-medieval setting elements. So here are three (compatible) theories:
1. It's a joke on newb readers who swallow historical terms without looking them up and/or idiot writers who shit words onto a page without checking their meaning.
2. It's a joke on history buffs (readers and/or writers) who insist on 100% historical authenticity in fantasy books.
3. It's a joke on the "tell, don't show" crowd who claim abstracted and genericized descriptions are better than factual ones because the former allow them to engage their imagination blah blah blah. "Go on, imagine THAT."
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The Taint of Lovecraft
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Ancient History wrote:The Taint of Lovecraft
The fact that I can't read that without snickering tells me that I really did stop maturing once I hit 12. I've gotten more responsible, but not mature.

On a more serious note: what is it? Is it about Lovecraft and his works, or something?
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

PoliteNewb wrote:
fbmf wrote:
PoliteNewb wrote:

Game On,
fbmf
Interesting. Agreement on "Here there be Tigers", disagreement on "Gramma". "The Mist" was probably my fave...either that or "The Reach" (last story).
The Mist was good, but I skipped it this time because I read it when it was released as a separate story (film tie-in) so I didn't think about it. The Reach just didn't do it for me. Reminded me of Ethan Frome for some reason.

I finished Skeleton Crew. Now that the last book of the STORMLORD series is out, I am re reading the trilogy starting at book one.

Game On,
fbmf
Last edited by fbmf on Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

RobbyPants wrote:
Ancient History wrote:The Taint of Lovecraft
The fact that I can't read that without snickering tells me that I really did stop maturing once I hit 12. I've gotten more responsible, but not mature.

On a more serious note: what is it? Is it about Lovecraft and his works, or something?
It's some collected Mythos fiction, poems, and essays by Stanley C. Sargent, most notable perhaps for his short story The Black Brat of Dunwich and his collection Ancient Exhumations. I actually bought it because I want to use one of his essays as a source in a paper I'm writing.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

*blink blink*
you want to use something out of a book with lovecraft in the title as a source for a paper? O.o
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Well, the paper is Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Ancient History wrote:Well, the paper is Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos.
i have seen enough hentai to know where this is going . . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote: