Image macros that make you laugh, cry, or both.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Hey guys, instead of playing two games that came out fourteen and twelve years ago and you already own if you ever cared at all, you can instead play that game with higher resolution sprites.

Because that was totally worth a mysterious site followed by count down timer.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Sounds like Mechwarrior Tactics to me . .
Which is, basically, just MEGAMEK with better graphics . .

Last edited by Stahlseele on Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:
Avoraciopoctules, what is that a screenshot of? I'm assuming a game, but I'm curious.
Guyr Adamantine
Master

Post by Guyr Adamantine »

Dwarf Fortress. Its awesome, but requires a 600 hrs course to play.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

How was that not answered with more image macros?
Also...

http://www.timdenee.com/bronzemurder.html

http://www.timdenee.com/oilfurnace.html
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, the creator of DF clearly doesn't understand the actual concept of fun.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

I'd say he doesn't understand the concept of accessibility. Dwarf Fortress is hilarious as all hell, but learning to play it is a giant depressing nightmare and it's super freaking fiddly.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

It'd be more correct to say that some of the stories of events in it are hilarious. Your average game of it you actually play isn't fun, interesting or funny, it's just an exercise in frustration.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Fenrisulfr
1st Level

Post by Fenrisulfr »

I have spent so many hours in DF. In my most recent fort, the ghost of my vampire baron was eating children, and when I was unable to stop him I unleashed a horde of fire demons to burn the world. Good times.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I spent a very small amount of time playing it - even after changing it from dwarfs to goblins. But then again, I also preferred original (free, no monsters/HP, just freestyle creative building) Minecraft to the current one and only played Teraria a very short while. And they seem to be the trifecta of "irritating games made either by or for autistic people" that various roleplaying groups are banging on about lately.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

So, is it like the I Want to be the Guy of RPGs or something? It sounded cool at first, but I'm not sure I have the free time to torture myself like that.
Guyr Adamantine
Master

Post by Guyr Adamantine »

Just remember: Losing is fun!
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

RobbyPants wrote:So, is it like the I Want to be the Guy of RPGs or something? It sounded cool at first, but I'm not sure I have the free time to torture myself like that.
It's like playing Zork, except without the helpful descriptions.
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

Dwarf Fortress isn't that bad once you get the hang of it. Just remember that you can use k to look at any symbol you don't recognize, and read a basic starting guide on the wiki before you play. Also, you can turn off invasions in in the configuration files so you won't be attacked by goblins and forgotten beasts before you've got the hang of it.

I haven't played too much of the adventure mode, but it can be pretty tough because combat can be pretty swingy and you don't usually start with much armour. It also got a lot more things for you to do recently though, like hunt vampires or loot ancient pyramids.
Last edited by rampaging-poet on Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

I get the feeling Dwarf Fortress is in a similar niche to Dom3. Am I right to suspect this?
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

I'd call it more midway between Dom3 and Minecraft. There is a strong social aspect to the game, but no multiplayer. Most of the fun comes through building complex stuff and finding interesting ways to lose, then sharing the story with others.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

DF's learning curve isn't actually too bad if you religiously check the wiki. That being said, it is absolutely unforgiving in a number of aspects and there's a bunch of stories of people who developed elaborate fortresses and then everyone's eyes suddenly started rotting out due to forgotten beasts.

And in the latest version, some regions will reanimate anything that dies and also anything that was previously a zombie while the sky rains blood and deadly poison. I would advise against embarking in those regions.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Guyr Adamantine wrote:Just remember: Losing is fun!
See, I know that's their motto, but they're wrong. Just because they repeat it a lot doesn't make it true. It just means they have a bad understanding of fun.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

Koumei wrote:
Guyr Adamantine wrote:Just remember: Losing is fun!
See, I know that's their motto, but they're wrong. Just because they repeat it a lot doesn't make it true. It just means they have a bad understanding of fun.

Oh look, I can play that game too. Just because you repeat it a lot doesn't make it true. It just means you have a bad understanding of fun.

But srsly: I would totally take an interesting defeat over a boring victory. Honestly, interesting defeats are often more interesting than interesting victories, because they usually shake up things more.

That's part of the reason that I find Crusader Kings II so interesting compared to, say, GalCiv II or Civ4 or a Total War game. Most strategy games of this ilk follow a basic pattern: You start out really weak, and you are forced to struggle against a bunch of different people.

But, eventually, because you have quicksave and a brain, you survive while everyone else dies. And then it's just you and like two other AIs, all of whom are really powerful. And then the game just becomes a slogfest. Rome: Total War had a pretty novel twist: Around the time the game gets bloated, your fellow Romans turn on you in an allout civilwar. And that was cool.

But Crusader Kings II never even tries to make victory a viable option. Sure, you can end up as the King of France or whatever, but the most fun in the game is going to be had playing as a baron or a duke and scheming against your peers while dealing with the weird random events and quirks of genetic drift.

I realize that you like every single one of your games to be an OP power fantasy where the players win without having to think, but I sincerely suspect that most people do not share those beliefs.
Last edited by Blicero on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Koumei wrote:See, I know that's their motto, but they're wrong. Just because they repeat it a lot doesn't make it true. It just means they have a bad understanding of fun.
If this weren't an image macro thread, it would be the perfect place to have a long debate about whether people who enjoy tragic stories are right in the head. Instead, I'll just link a DF dramatization.

http://www.bravemule.com/fe54/

And maybe start looking for some image macros about the succession LP that created a fortress so great that the players could not come up with a plausible way to lose. So they hacked the game to turn its champions into unstoppable undead monsters in order to get the loss they so coveted.
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

Hey! I know that fortress! I don't know of any images relating to it, but the story can be found here.

On a related note, somebody (the original artist?) coloured the image at the end of Boatmurder's epilogue:
deviantART link to source.

While I don't know if this actually happened or not, it seems plausible:
Source.

Also, this used to happen earlier versions. I'm not sure if it's been fixed.
Source

And on a completely unrelated note:
Source.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Nice. Cool of you to provide source links.
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

No problem. It makes it easier for others to track them down, and I'm sure the artists appreciate the traffic.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

rampaging-poet wrote: And on a completely unrelated note:
Ha! I was just listening to that song this morning!
erik
King

Post by erik »

Song? Splainyoself!