The reason why fighters will never have nice things.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

No one said 3 times as strong pound for pound you dumbass, until right now, because it turns out you are totally incorrect when we look at actual math and the actual Marvel lore, so you decided to just make shit up.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Novembermike
Master

Post by Novembermike »

Kaelik wrote:No one said 3 times as strong pound for pound you dumbass, until right now, because it turns out you are totally incorrect when we look at actual math and the actual Marvel lore, so you decided to just make shit up.
Ok, I got a misquote on that, the actual thing is that they're three times as dense and just as strong pound for pound, so those guys that look like they're ~2000 lbs are pushing 6k and are still built like bodybuilders. I misinterpreted how they got their numbers, but it's still correct.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I'm seeing a lot of insults and not too many facts. Must be having some problems forming a coherent argument?
Last edited by Novembermike on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

http://marvel.wikia.com/Frost_Giants#Av ... ngth_level
It says they're three times as dense as humans and 20-30 feet tall. They also shrink when exposed to heat.

Which means that if they can lift just as much relative to their weight, then they are about 28 points stronger than humans, presuming "20-30ft" is interpreted to mean "huge".

EDIT: wait, it says the ones in the movie are 10ft tall, so 18 points stronger and large, given the same presupposition that they have the same carrying capacity relative to weight.
Last edited by RadiantPhoenix on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Wait, how does the "pound for pound" thing affect this? I'm genuinely curious as to the logic there.

The only thing I could see is saying that it means three times as strong as a human, if the human is large size, which means the giants would have a 26 str.
Last edited by Prak on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Lifting capacity pound-for-pound. This is not, in fact, stated in the wiki, which instead states that they have "superhuman strength"
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, so that could seriously just be "Yep, they're large creatures with a further +2 to strength (for a 20 after sizing a human up)"
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

I am aware of this. The math was more fun my way.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'm still not sure what your math is. Just curious.

wouldn't it be wonderful, though, if Novembermike just rage quit?
Last edited by Prak on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Novembermike wrote:Ok, I got a misquote on that, the actual thing is that they're three times as dense and just as strong pound for pound, so those guys that look like they're ~2000 lbs are pushing 6k and are still built like bodybuilders. I misinterpreted how they got their numbers, but it's still correct.
Once again, no. They are three times as strong. They are three times as dense. They are not as strong pound for pound. Because that's dumb as shit. They are in fact, 3 times as strong. Period.

So you take the Str of a human, who can lift on average 100 pounds, and then multiply by 3. And you get 300 lbs.
Novembermike wrote:EDIT: Oh yeah, and I'm seeing a lot of insults and not too many facts. Must be having some problems forming a coherent argument?
That's because you are one of those idiots who sees an insult, and immediately wipes their mind of any facts. The fact is that it does not say "pound for pound" anywhere ever. So at any point at all that you decide to declare them X stronger because of their weight, you are smoking crack.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Prak_Anima wrote:I'm still not sure what your math is. Just curious.

If their carrying capacity is proportional to their weight, they can carry (their density / human's density) * (their height / human's height) * (their width / human's width) * (their length / human's length)

so, (3) * (24/6) * (24/6) * (24/6) for the huge ones, or 192 times human carrying capacity

Divide that by the huge-size multiplier of 4, and you get 48 x human STR, which is 4 * 4 * 2 * 1.5, or +10 +10 +5 +about3 = 28

The large ones (3) * (10/5) * (10/5) * (10/5) or 24x carrying capacity; divide that by 2 for being large, and you get 12x, or 4 * 2 * 1.5, or +10 +5 +about3 = 18
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:

If their carrying capacity is proportional to their weight, they can carry (their density / human's density) * (their height / human's height) * (their width / human's width) * (their length / human's length)

so, (3) * (24/6) * (24/6) * (24/6) for the huge ones, or 192 times human carrying capacity

Divide that by the huge-size multiplier of 4, and you get 48 x human STR, which is 4 * 4 * 2 * 1.5, or +10 +10 +5 +about3 = 28

The large ones (3) * (10/5) * (10/5) * (10/5) or 24x carrying capacity; divide that by 2 for being large, and you get 12x, or 4 * 2 * 1.5, or +10 +5 +about3 = 18
...ah, I see, you're someone who paid attention in math class. Terrifying.

echoVanguard
Knight-Baron

Post by echoVanguard »

If he'd really paid attention in math class, he'd have calculated it using integrals. :mrgreen:

echo
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

We have a term for that in my field. It's called "why the hell are you using bubblesort, dumbass".
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
echoVanguard
Knight-Baron

Post by echoVanguard »

It could be worse. They could be using a non-recursive bubblesort.

echo
Novembermike
Master

Post by Novembermike »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:

That seems about right, although you should really be starting from at least 16 or so because they're not exactly proportional to a standard human, they're more built like bodybuilders. But the math seems reasonable, if very approximate.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

listen you fucking nerds

stop trying perform complex mathematical functions when trying to stat something up. you know what "dude they're three times as strong pound for pound hurrrr" means? it means the writer is full of shit and is saying something that he thinks sounds awesome. it's not meant to be taken as gospel. you know what it amounts to? it means that frost giants are large size and they have a strength of 26.

you know why? because giving them a +8 strength modifier is significantly less retarded than trying to figure out the exact strength based on some retard "POUND FER POUND BYTCHES" statement that is purely fluff and not crunch. do you think the fucking writer actually meant that a giant weighing 250 pounds would be as strong as a human weighing 750 lbs? no you idiots god I could stab all of you in the face

max human strength is +4. double that shit and there you have a plus fucking eight stat mod and that sounds about right to me.

now as far as the robot's laser beams go, you're all still retarded. it has the ability to one-hit humans and cars. in general, energy attacks in D&D can do up to 1d6 per HD because that seems to be what they were shooting for (ignoring the under-CRed dragons). that laser beam ability is doing enough to vaporize government employees and cars in a single hit.

so here's a link to d20 modern stats for cars.

civilian cars seem to range between 30 and 34 hp with a hardness of 5. so basically a fire weapon is going to need to consistently do 36+ damage to reliably destroy a vehicle. let's make it easy and say that the destroyer has a 10d6 laser in his face.

right there we see that we have 10 HD to work with. now that thing has damage reduction 10/adamantine (or perhaps 10/magic) we'll say because human weapons don't do shit to it. and it has some natural armor too but we'll get to that in a second

so let's see what we have here.

large construct with 10 HD: 10d10 + 30 HP (85 HP)
laser beam: 10d6 fire damage
str 26
dr 10/adamantine

let's check the monster manual for tips

oh wait here's a goddamn clay golem. 11 HD and it has dr 10/adamantine. so we trade out 1 HD and magic immunity and a few other shitty abilities for a 10d6 laser. we'll drop the CR by 1 since the destroyer can't haste itself, it lost one HD, and golems are kind of retarded encounters to begin with

so thor has to be able to reliably kill a goddamn CR 9

THERE'S YOUR FUCKING STARTING POINT IF YOU WANT TO QUIBBLE ABOUT THIS SHIT
Last edited by Psychic Robot on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

PR, If we didn't want to quibble about this shit, we wouldn't be posting in this thread. :p
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

echoVanguard wrote:It could be worse. They could be using a non-recursive bubblesort.
It can always be worse, doing that is trivial. Just add more loops, more allocations, or more exponentiations. Hell, they could be using snailsort.
Psychic Robot wrote:stop trying perform complex mathematical functions when trying to stat something up
The point of a game is to have fun, why do you hate fun?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Novembermike wrote:That seems about right, although you should really be starting from at least 16 or so because they're not exactly proportional to a standard human, they're more built like bodybuilders. But the math seems reasonable, if very approximate.
Those are the racial modifiers, not the actual ability scores.
Novembermike
Master

Post by Novembermike »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:
Novembermike wrote:That seems about right, although you should really be starting from at least 16 or so because they're not exactly proportional to a standard human, they're more built like bodybuilders. But the math seems reasonable, if very approximate.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It's a little weird since they all seem to have bodybuilder physiques, but your numbers are about right.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Presuming the premise of them having the same carrying capacity per unit weight as humans is correct. This would be unrealistic, but then again, it is comic-book land.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Novembermike wrote:
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It's a little weird since they all seem to have bodybuilder physiques, but your numbers are about right.
Could be only the Str 16-18 rolled ones end up being part of the armed forces/aka being present when invaders show up. Maybe some flabby Frost Giants live on the other side of the planet or something.

Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Even granting an extra two BAB and damage, that doesn't really class them as 4 CR higher.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Oh no, I'm not trying to justify these absurdly large CRs or anything.

Just saying, that's probably why all the Frost Giants look like body builders. Because so do the three, and the girl, and thor, and heimdall. Elites look like elites. (Loki of course, is a magician, and so doesn't have to be muscly, and he is a frost giant too, though admittedly, probably shrunken from the heat.)

For CR, I peg Frost Giants as CR 2-4 at best when they don't have the casket. And the destroyer as CR 6-8.

rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:

And that's what makes it Phantasy Physics, btw. In the real world, weight is cubed but strength is squared when you scale up.