Pathfinder Is Still Bad

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Kaelik wrote:You are right, it is really stupid to judge rules by whether or not they create bad effects for games.
So you agree with me, you just disagree about what the bad thing is.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

TOZ wrote:
Kaelik wrote:You are right, it is really stupid to judge rules by whether or not they create bad effects for games.
So you agree with me, you just disagree about what the bad thing is.
Uh... No. I agree with you about zero things. I was sarcastically mocking you for arguing that whether or not a rule produces bad results is irrelevant to whether or not it is a bad rule.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Alright then.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Prak wrote:
hyzmarca wrote:
Prak wrote:
Warforged suffer from the Western "Neutral gender equals male" ideology that plagues pretty much every constructed race in fiction. It's very common, and very annoying.
By convention, computers and robots are male, ships, cities, and countries are female.

If you build a giant robot the size of a city or a country, then things get confusing.
Well, more like, by convention, anything humanoid without tits is treated as male. Hence dragon tits, because people wouldn't know that female dragonborns weren't male without lumps of fat on their chest.
Nagas (full serpent body ones, just human head) are usually considered female despite lack of tits.

Dolls with dresses are also considered female even if they're flat-chested.

If you had a dragonborn with sleek body and a frilly skirt, I bet people would consider it female even without tits.

And then there's the reverse case of big ogres/demons with hanging bags of fat from their chests, which are usually seen as male.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yes, there are ways that creatures can have an indicated sex beyond just tits.

But typically, when you show people something like this-

they assume the character is male-identitied. Put a skirt on that character, and I would expect you to be doing a camp effeminate character before I ever expected a serious exploration of gender identity, because that happens way more frequently.

When a transformer is supposed to be female, the designers feel compelled to give it robot tits-
ImageImage
Sometimes literally, sometimes only approximately.

And this is just the most visible example, not the only one. Your counter about ogres and demons with giant saggy pecs...

Those are not tits. An ogre or large demon that has realistic female anatomy is not generally going to be confused for male.

Edit: Also, Transformers Prime Starscream laughs at your suggestion that a slender dragonborn will be read as female-
Last edited by Prak on Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

This is a male bear:

This is a female bear:
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

That is also a character from Eastern media, and their gender is explicitly stated, because readers would assume them to be male.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Last time I checked, momma bears who rend and tear anything that threatens their cubs have been a vaguely humanoid staple of European mythology since anyone cares to remember. Without tits. Goldylocks anyone? Is the typical mother bear ever represented with large boobs outside of parodies?

(also transformer's primse starscream doesn't count because it has manly wide shoulders, which is probably a bigger staple of masculinity than having an actual dick).
Last edited by maglag on Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

My point is that the "neutral=masculine" trope is primarily a western one. Also "Momma Bear" has a distaff counterpart known as "Poppa Wolf," so that characterization alone would not make readers realize the character is female.

Look, you had counterpoints that certainly fucking exist, but Western culture has a huge "neutral means male" problem, which is partially because Western culture primarily signifies femininity with tits.

And Starscream has wide shoulders because he's a fucking jet. He is otherwise the lithe bodied character you say that a female dragonborn could be to denote female-ness without tits. He even has fucking high heels.

Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Prak wrote:Edit: Also, Transformers Prime Starscream laughs at your suggestion that a slender dragonborn will be read as female-
That's a girl in thigh-high boots and heels, and with long nails on her slender hands.
ImageImageImageImage
Dude. Chick. Chick. Dude.
A slender dragonborn, especially if there are also muscular and stocky dragonborn, would be almost certainly read as female.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Prime Starscream is very much not explicitly treated as a female character. No one even suggests it.

But I fucking SWEAR he was patterned off of The Monarch, who is very, very fucking coded as a camp border-line gay character.

Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Prak wrote:Prime Starscream is very much not explicitly treated as a female character. No one even suggests it.
I'm not saying he's female. I'm saying (1) characters don't need tits to look feminine, and (2) a character who looks feminine but is actually male is not a counterexample. No one thinks "Starscream is a chick" because he's an established character voiced by a dude. But the static picture looks like a robot femme fatale.

Humanoid characters are rarely "neutral", even objects aren't fully neutral (#1 at the link, NSFW for truck nuts). The warforged you posted isn't "neutral-therefore-male" because of some weird cultural hangup, they are proportioned specifically like a human male. If you give a humanoid character the distinguishing visual characteristics of a human male, they'll be read male, no surprise. Now this one is neutral:
Here's a lizardman. Note the broad manly torso and nekkid pecs.
Here's a lizard girl. Note the slender body, the clothes covering her (flat) chest and the fluffy "hair".
Wait, no, the second one is a dude, too.
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

I would like a race of bird people where the men are all excitable painted dandies and the ladies are gruff, frumpy slobs.
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Eikre wrote:I would like a race of bird people where the men are all excitable painted dandies and the ladies are gruff, frumpy slobs.
I've done that. It was hilarious, the bird people didn't have much exposure to humanoids and assumed the rough, rugged humanoids were females and the delicate preening humanoids with the weird fat deposits on their chests to be male (clearly some sort of display like our males' throat pouches, although the fact they walk around with them inflated at all times is absolutely scandalous).

One of my players had a habit of attempting to seduce someone at every stop they had. (Outside of the Ranger's bedroom, you hear two people shouting "YOU'RE NOT A WOMAN!" in a shocked tone at the same time).

EDIT: Regarding the "gender neutral is male" thing, do you have any examples of it done correctly?
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

It'd take a big adjustment for me to make such jokes work because I've always been big on ramming home the idea that historically speaking professional warriors are gigantic, preening assholes. The whole thing where shit gets super utilitarian applies mostly to conscripts.

I mean, just look at some of these dickheads!
Last edited by Whipstitch on Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Clearly that is part of your magical realm and no one in real life would dress like that in battle.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Goddamnit, western society has a huge problem with "gender neutral is male." This isn't something you can deny. The fact that warforged are almost always treated as male, that transformers are almost all male-identified, are symptoms of this. You can quibble with my examples, but you cannot deny Western society's bias of treating masculinity as the standard and femininity as a deviation from that standard.

The fact that a female transformer is typically given the suggestion of tits and a lithe form, that warforged are considered male because they're sculpted male, that a lizard person is assumed male because it has pecs are all symptoms of this.

There is literally no reason that Bulkhead from Prime-
couldn't have been made a female character. Cybertronians pre-beast wars are fully mechanical, and any variance of gender would be purely personality. They have literally no use for genitals or breasts. And yet they are characterized according to standard gender coding.

Count Arioch the 28th
King

I'm not trying to argue that you're wrong, I legitimately would like to see some examples of a gender neutral character that doesn't to default to male without a dick.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, that was more directed at the others. I'd like to see examples of gender neutral that don't default to male, too.

Count Arioch the 28th
King

I won't stop loving dragonboobs though.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Prak wrote:Yeah, that was more directed at the others. I'd like to see examples of gender neutral that don't default to male, too.
When you say this do you mean make 'acting'? I believe there are stories about neutral AI like HAL who's just a disembodied voice and the Borg are a collective so you could consider it pretty neutral.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Doesn't a human body without sex hormones develop into a more-or-less female body, but without breasts? (Frank would probably know more)
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:Doesn't a human body without sex hormones develop into a more-or-less female body, but without breasts? (Frank would probably know more)
The human body starts as female and then sometimes pokevolves into a male form during production. Now that doesn't mean too much, given we start as assholes and grow out from there*, but you could make a kind of pointless argument for the "default" state of humans being female.

The sample Warforged picture, as provided by Prak, has a kind of masculine jaw and, more to the point, what appears to be a codpiece nailed on. Or just a sort of bulging Y-front section. It really looks like it was added to contain the nuts and bolts, so to speak, and when you shove junk onto the pelvic region, of course people will call it a male.

*Well, some people do. Plenty of people remain that way for all eternity.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Prak wrote:Goddamnit, western society has a huge problem with "gender neutral is male."
Looking at the Bulkhead picture, are you saying non westerners are seeing an female form there?
Do you have examples of females in non western media who do look male?

Thinking about it, I think I'm missing your Point... :confused:
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Korwin wrote: Do you have examples of females in non western media who do look male?
For linguistic reasons, people literally only found out Otto is a girl because the main villain's evil monologue mentioned that all the Numbers are female.

The dubbers have stated that they used masculine pronouns because "it" would be offensive.

But Prak's actual point is opposition to the gender binary that for some reason turned into complaining about how people assign binary genders when they do.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.