Video Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

The way around the sticky fingered little shits was to press the start combat button, run past them then end combat. It was tedious and annoying.

But yeah the killing kids (which the game punished you for, you got a reputation "perk" called child killer that caused EVERYONE both team good and team evil to treat you worse.

Nowadays you'd have the PC crowd up in arms over it.

Like when I first accidentally discovered Daggerfall had nudity (was changing to matching clothing under my armor), gaming was an obscure enough hobby that no one noticed. Hell look at the original Leisure Suit Larry games vs the most recent ones.

But on the timer note. It also affected your endings for the games somewhat, the longer you took and the people you told where you came from increased the odds of the "Vault 13 gets wiped out by super mutants" part of the ending.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Stahlseele wrote:No, they had to patch them out in the european or at least german version, because you could kill children and that was a big no no no . .
Actually they didn't fully patch them out, they just removed the models, basically making them invisible. So you could still see their speech bubbles and they could still steal from you.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

So could you in theory still kill them with explosives?
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Exile3 from the 90s had a thing where if you didn't stop a monster plague within a certain time, relevant towns would have their maps replaced with almost identical ones, only with damage and semi-important people like shopkeepers missing. Minor towns had all NPCs removed and monsters added.

Don't know if that was carried over to the Avernum remakes.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Children NPC's in video games are almost always annoying, and the world is a lesser place for not being able to kill them. When I had FO3 on the PC, one of the first mods I added was a thing that made children un-invincible (right after I installed a nudity mod.)

(...Er, not a child nudity mod, just to clarify. I'm fucked up, but I'm not a monster...)
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Pariah Dog wrote:So could you in theory still kill them with explosives?
If you put an armed time bomb in your inventory and emptied out everything else, they'd steal it from you. Which allows you to get rid of the pickpocket kids without getting Childkiller.
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

I did something similar in FO1 to the room full of super mutants before the Master. If you wore the robes I think it was you could get all the way to the master unmolested but if combat ensued these guys rolled in behind you and murdered you in the back. So using my stupidly high Steal, I took all those dynamites I collected throughout the game, armed them and putpocketed them into several mutant's inventories, went back upstairs, grabbed a bite to eat IRL, and came back down to find a few mutants dead and the rest pissed off and hurt.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

yeah, for some sad sad reason, Fallout1 and 2 maybe tactics even marks the all time high of crpg capabilities . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Stahlseele wrote:yeah, for some sad sad reason, Fallout1 and 2 maybe tactics even marks the all time high of crpg capabilities . .
I'm pretty sure Divinity: Original Sin 2 can give them a run for their money.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I don't have anything productive to add, but I wish I could just play Dragon Age: Inquisition without having to fuck with shit. I have over 200 mods for Skyrim installed and it doesn't give me this much shit, you'd think an umodded game that worked just fine a few months ago would still continue to work fine.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Longes wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:yeah, for some sad sad reason, Fallout1 and 2 maybe tactics even marks the all time high of crpg capabilities . .
It does? Never tried that one.
It's just . . i never ever have seen anything better.
Even Wasteland 2 does not do everything Fallout Tactic did x.x
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Stahlseele wrote:
Longes wrote:
It does? Never tried that one.
It's just . . i never ever have seen anything better.
Even Wasteland 2 does not do everything Fallout Tactic did x.x
Divinity OS 2 allows stuff like starting as an undead skeleton of any other living races (getting you some of those race's goodies), which gives perks like being able to use your bony fingers as lockpicks and disadvantages like most living people will run away from you unless you disguise yourself somehow. Also damaged by normal healing and healed by poison.

Also plenty of terrain effects like dropping oil then lighting it on fire and freezing water.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

The new Divinity games really are quite ambitious which is too bad because I also viscerally dislike them. I don't find the writing particularly funny and the overall presentation is such that not only do I find myself uninterested in what's going on I also have hard time imagining what they could possibly do to change that.
bears fall, everyone dies
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Yeah, I really feel bad about hating playing Divinity games. But also I hate playing Divinity games.

They are exactly the genre I wished had been revived, they are new instead of just remakes of the past and.... they just never make me feel literally any goddam thing.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Axebird
Master

Post by Axebird »

Same. I want to like them but fuck, I just can't, playing them feels extremely tedious.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Interesting Reactions all around o.O
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

OK so . .
post coital glow from the M$ E3 Conference . .
Fallout 76 4 times as big as Fallout 4.
Cyberpunk 2077 . . .
I do not smoke and i am craving a cigarette now x.x
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

Haven't watched the Cyberpunk 2077 yet but still not seeing anything worth giving a shit about with The Elder Scrolls: West Virginia other than it seems to be matching a bit of the leaks info posted earlier.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Skyrim Super Special Edition!

Elder Scrolls VI on the works too.

Hyper universe some free 2D moba?

Still two days for Nintendo's presentation though.

Also rumor around that Xenosaga HD collection will be announced.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Is it Elder Scrolls 6 or another expac to Elder Scrolls Online?

I'd like to see a redone version of Xenogears where they finish the 2nd disc but I know the chances of that are the same as the chances of me shitting a pineapple.

Also, the Skyrim Super Special Edition reminds me of when one of the DMs in my group tried to use alexa as a DM helper. The best part was how easy it was to make Alexa lose its shit. The worst part was that Alexa constantly lost its shit for no obvious reason.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

Given that the Elder scrolls games (both fantasy and post apoc) have continued a trend of simplification from Morrowind and beyond I wonder how they're going to slim down ES6? And while I may say that, of the modern ES games, I preferred Skyrim the most because of the lack of stupid optimizing your level ups bullshit.

Edit: I guess Hyper Universe is "Well MXM shit the bed, lets change it up a bit and try again?" Not that I follow mobas but I streamer I follow was into it before it went tits up.
Last edited by Pariah Dog on Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

I think Skyrim hit just that sweet spot where it's simple enough anybody can pick it up and they won't try to slim it down further. If anything, I'm wondering what they'll come up with to replace "you're an half-dragon and there's dragons in the world that you can kill to absorb their souls and consume them to learn new breath weapons" because that shit was awesome.

Hadn't heard of MXM before, but already had heard of at least two other mobas from big companies being released and then shut down in a matter of months.

3 if you count Dawn of War III which technically is still alive but the devs already announced they have no more shits to give and won't make any new patches/expansions for it.

Reminds of the old days where everybody was trying to come up with the next super-popular MMORPG, and ended up making a giant pile of corpses at WoW's feet.
Last edited by maglag on Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

MxM (Master X Master?) was another mobalike game that was Nexon trying to do a "Lets Be HOTS" with a lot of characters from titles no one outside of Asia recognized and some salt in the wound with characters from CoH and CoV but the big twist was you picked 2 characters and tagged in and out between them.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So watching various coverage of the EA E3 event... I'm surprised they weren't straight-up booed by the audience at the start, ala Roman Reigns. Look me in the face and tell me they haven't earned that kind of response in the last year. Beyond everything in all the other years, I mean.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

My favorite part of the EA event is that they're releasing Battlefield V, which is a sequel to Battlefield 1, and also that they're releasing another Star Wars: Battlefront. I don't just mean another installment in the series, but that they announced a third game with the exact title of Star Wars: Battlefront, assuming you don't count minor shifts in capitalization or the presence of colons as being a genuinely different title.
Last edited by Chamomile on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.