What WotC ruling was the final straw for you?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Ravengm
Knight

Post by Ravengm »

I haven't had a "final straw" yet, but then again I don't look too deeply into the mire and muck.
Random thing I saw on Facebook wrote:Just make sure to compare your results from Weapon Bracket Table and Elevator Load Composition (Dragon Magazine #12) to the Perfunctory Armor Glossary, Version 3.8 (Races of Minneapolis, pp. 183). Then use your result as input to the "DM Says Screw You" equation.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I wish that I had played Vampire with LARPers, really... it's the GMs that use the word "storyteller" that have both infuriated me whenever I hear any GM describe themself as a "Storyteller" and left a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to WW games.

Seriously, every fucking GM I've seen for WW games clings to the word "storyteller", if I put any of them on the spot, they wouldn't be able to tell their way out of a wet paper bag and using a sword. They don't know stories, they don't know how to tell them, and they can't read their audience and feed the story to the audience at the audience's pace.

Instead it's useless combat after useless combat.

These are people that also call themselves "roleplayers."

If all the "roleplayers" could line up against a wall, so that "somebody" could have their skulls meet a crowbar, I would be very pleased.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Goddammit, Judging Eagle, ROLEplay not ROLLplay.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Oh yes, the Story Tellers ("Well if you're the ST then it's your story, the players have the privilege of having their characters feature in your story and being there to listen to it.") need to eat a dick. Made out of hydrofluoric acid.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Koumei wrote:Oh yes, the Story Tellers ("Well if you're the ST then it's your story, the players have the privilege of having their characters feature in your story and being there to listen to it.") need to eat a dick. Made out of hydrofluoric acid.
Indeed. Storyteller is the code word for railroading douchebag. If I see any sign to indicate this theory is correct, it's Smiting time.
Last edited by Roy on Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

Roy wrote:
Koumei wrote:Oh yes, the Story Tellers ("Well if you're the ST then it's your story, the players have the privilege of having their characters feature in your story and being there to listen to it.") need to eat a dick. Made out of hydrofluoric acid.
Indeed. Storyteller is the code word for railroading douchebag. If I see any sign to indicate this theory is correct, it's Smiting time.
This is in fact one of the Portents Of Fail in a White Wolf game. If the GM is clinging to the whole "Storyteller" title like Linus and his security blanket, you're in trouble. And you should really only have as much combat as is necessary. I've been in some very violent WW games, and I've been in some very cerebral WW games, but the content of those games was usually dictated by the nature of the characters and how they interacted with the environment, as opposed to being shoehorned into some kind of ultra-violent pre-Underworld Vampire vs. Werewolf wank-fest.