Why Frank's Tomes Have Not Caught On (In Some Circles)

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

RandomCasualty
Prince

Re: Why Frank's Tomes Have Not Caught On (In Some Circles)

Post by RandomCasualty »

Calibron at [unixtime wrote:1197157227[/unixtime]]I dunno. Once the Wizard understands the concept of SoDs and battlefield control, they are usually pretty easy to run. There is no reason you can't just get someone to make your daily spell selections for you.

Yeah, it's just that a lot of players haven't got that. Even after like seeing first hand the power of stuff like color spray, web, maze, forcecage and so on, they still take a bunch of scorching rays,fireballs and elemental orb spells.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Captain_Bleach at [unixtime wrote:1196908076[/unixtime]]
Leress at [unixtime wrote:1196550645[/unixtime]]He doesn't disrespect anyone that I have seen, he calls people on their shit.

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1165262344[/unixtime]]If you weren't kidding about the paladin spells, I will kill your family. Paladin Spells are a joke. They are lower level than real spells and Wisdom is a Paladin dump stat, so the Save DCs are laughable.

This is not disrespectful at all! I am shocked and amazed at Frank's sense of Internet etiquette!

Edited previous post
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I haven't said anything up until now because it's really not my place to speak in for other people who are fully capable of defending themselves. That said, I think I speak for everyone here when I say:

Get the fvck off your high horse already. Seriously.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Sure I will, but can I ask why when Frank personally attacks and insults people, he gets a "get-out-of-jail" free card, and when I do the same to him, I get criticized?
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I can't answer for everyone else, but for me it has something to do with how one of you goes riding around in every thread on a high horse, spouting the same damn thing every second post. You don't like someone's attitude. Okay, we get it already. Seriously.
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

Captain_Bleach at [unixtime wrote:1197256740[/unixtime]]Sure I will, but can I ask why when Frank personally attacks and insults people, he gets a "get-out-of-jail" free card, and when I do the same to him, I get criticized?

Probably because Frank otherwise contributes to the board, and you...don't.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Surgo, that's a very high horse thing to write.

And Neeek... just... no. I need a laugh sometimes. He's almost as funny as PhoneLobster and Voss getting nerd-ragey.

If you all can't stand him, do the thing Maj suggests, although I really don't see why you care so much.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

People respect Frank because he's smart, funny, and productive. He doesn't get a "get out of jail free card" because no one else is offended by what he says, and are generally amused or informed instead, so there's no "jail" to get out of for free. People don't treat Frank like he's untouchable, he has been argued with on a number of occasions; the reason it doesn't happen more often is because he always comes to a debate well prepared and if you aren't also well prepared you'll just end up embarrassing yourself.

You, on the other hand, are not anywhere near as funny and I'm pretty sure you haven't been at all productive. So people get annoyed with you when you post the same complaints over and over again. We get it, we got it a long time ago, you don't enjoy acerbic humor. Please just stop whining about it, no one wants to hear it.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Captain Bleach wrote:Sure I will, but can I ask why when Frank personally attacks and insults people, he gets a "get-out-of-jail" free card, and when I do the same to him, I get criticized?

Not to totally lay into the equine corpse here, since others have answered...

It's the signal to noise ratio. The less people have to sort through a plethora of posts in order to find a single gem of good information or humor or logic, the more forgiving they tend to be. Different message boards tend to value different things - The Gaming Den tends to be dominated by [honest attempts at] logic and reason - in both its humor and its perspective - which means that happy fluffy posts and excessive pitiful whining are generally not cool.

My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

I respect Frank because he's very smart and really good at writing solid, balanced shit. On the other hand, Frank's an asshole, so I have a really hard time liking him. But that's okay, because Frank's not the kind of person to give a shit about what other people think of him, and it's easy enough to pick out threads where he's going to say stuff that I disagree with so I can avoid them.

-Des
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Alright, so why does he act in a similar way on other boards? Does the acerbic humor follow him around on the 'net all the time? Plus, the Gaming Den has no way of advertising that it is chock full of personal attacks and acerbic humor; when I first got here, I just thought that it was yet another table-top gaming thread.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Frank is Frank, he's not going to change his manner just because he's on a different board.

I don't change the way I act dependent on location either; I'm not really sure why you think he would.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Calibron at [unixtime wrote:1197266276[/unixtime]]Frank is Frank, he's not going to change his manner just because he's on a different board.

I don't change the way I act dependent on location either; I'm not really sure why you think he would.

Alright, I'll stop arguing. Frank can get away with being a jerk 'cause of his work. Unless Caedrus was a close friend and it was merely good humor between the two, I can understand. But if it was some other guy on the 'net, then I believe that it is uncalled for.

Calibron at [unixtime wrote:1197261382[/unixtime]] We get it, we got it a long time ago, you don't enjoy acerbic humor. Please just stop whining about it, no one wants to hear it.

I don't have anything against acerbic humor, I just don't like death threats, even if they were most likely not meant.

Let me just explain; I don't have anything against Frank other than that one post, which was way out of line. That is why I was in a fit.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Dude, you're STILL bitching about Frank?

Dude, to you, Frank is someone that only exists on the interblag, and when you turn off your computer, he no longer exists as far as your perception is concerned. Why do you even care?

I fully and freely admit that there are people that I don't like on this forum, but I really don't care enough about any of them to have a long, protracted argument about their merits as posters.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Count, you should know that the Internet is serious business.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Very serious.

This is my TGD face.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
NoDot
Master

Post by NoDot »

Calibron at [unixtime wrote:1197272631[/unixtime]]Count, you should know that the Internet is serious business.
Indeed! The internet is AWESOME SERIOUS BUSINESS!
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Count_Arioch_the_28th at [unixtime wrote:1197270040[/unixtime]]Dude, you're STILL bitching about Frank?

No, I will stop now. For real.
Yahzi
1st Level

Post by Yahzi »

Sure I will, but can I ask why when Frank personally attacks and insults people, he gets a "get-out-of-jail" free card, and when I do the same to him, I get criticized?

Because when Frank does it, it's funny.

Seriously. Frank insults people to be funny. That's his real point. If he wanted to hurt people's feelings, he would calmly and politely explain to them why their position makes them look like drooling imbeciles. But he doesn't want to hurt people's feelings, so he says things so outrageous they can't be taken seriously. This allows people to absorb the fact that they are wrong while still having a defense that allows them to feel better than Frank.

You, on the other hand, are belittling Frank as a person. You're not attacking his position. You're not speaking in obviously exaggerated tones to remove the sting. You're clearly certain that you are morally superior Frank, and by extension the rest of us. Most of all, you have not even the slightest interest in amusing us.

All of which adds up to being a tedious bore.

Frank undoubtedly has his share of faults; but, thank the gods, that's not one of them.

:biggrin:
Yahzi
1st Level

Post by Yahzi »

Frank's an asshole

The comedian Rick Reynolds has a bit where he explains, "there are two kinds of people in the world: creeps and assholes. And if you're an asshole, you're proud of it."

:biggrin:
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Yahzi wrote:(1)You, on the other hand, are belittling Frank as a person. You're not attacking his position. You're not speaking in obviously exaggerated tones to remove the sting. (2)You're clearly certain that you are morally superior Frank, and by extension the rest of us. Most of all, you have not even the slightest interest in amusing us.

(1)That's because I thought that the "I will kill your family" part was in poor taste. (2) I don't think I'm morally superior; politeness has little to do with one's moral compass in some standards of ethics.
Yahzi
1st Level

Post by Yahzi »

(1)That's because I thought that he was serious about the "I will kill your family."

Why would you think that?

Do you know people who would mean that seriously? Would you ever say something like that and mean it seriously? Do you, or anyone you know, take the rules of D&D so seriously as to inflame even a fraction of the bitter hatred it would require to say something like that and mean it?

You began this conversation with the assumption that Frank was a psychotic murderer, and yet you started this thread to complain about Frank's insulting manner.

Might I suggest you look up the word "irony" in the dictionary? After that, you might want to look up "hypocrite," "jackass," and "narcissistic personality disorder."
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Oops, I did not mean "serious," I meant to say that it was in very poor taste. I did not know what I was talking about.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I was really enjoying it when this thread was no longer being replied to. Please, just let it die.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Alright.