What does a world with supers look like?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Maybe, I've missed something in the conversation so far where it's already been mentioned but what about a world along the lines of Garth Ennis's "The Boys."

I'm not prescribing a specific such world about corporations controlling the supes (which is also possible) or a military-industrial-complex fueled by supes which is again possible. But the main point is that supes are present but they aren't trained like most law enforcement types. You can state existing conditions of X-men or whatever but that's still a very rare condition and in the world of "The Boys" the question is raised of what happens if the Supe realizes that the world around them is present for the taking not just for the protecting.

The "Boys" world is as usual Ennis pastiche in that it includes all kinds of supes from all over from the DC/Marvel/Image/whatnot in that it includes powers from crazy-ass Superman-level to the silly I put on a mask and run around patrolling level.

So when we have such a world, and it is a LOT of supes, and as Lago put it, society does not collapse with a lot of supes, is the government under control of the supes a la whatever-era "Authority" or does the government implement a plan to covertly keep them down like "The boys" if the public loves them.

Now these are all comic book scenarios. would these be real world scenarios or would these stay fictional? I haven't even brought up Marvel's "Civil War" because I don't know anything about it.
Last edited by Cynic on Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Parthenon
Knight-Baron

Post by Parthenon »

Interesting. I was going to mention The Boys at one point but because I'd only read the first 6 issues I didn't know enough to comment.

I don't think its been specifically touched upon, but both The Boys and the Civil War arc both deal with what the governments and the public can do to stop the supers and stop them running roughshod over the world.

Civil War does it by making sure that there are no secret identities, and using a portion of the super community to bring down and bring in the supers that don't get with the program, sending them all to another dimension if they don't come quietly. So, there are legal consequences for killing or being very reckless. It also tries to use the military force directly including various armoured suits and lethal force where necessary. Some of the capes go along with it because otherwise the public would end up hating all of them and it could be all out war against supers.

The Boys (from what I've read) does it by having a small group of supers beat up and/or kill any supers that get too trigger-happy and do too much damage to civilians. The sixth issue is interesting where they say that the supes have a casualty allowance; because they aren't trained, have no idea what they are doing but insist on trying to save the day, they have a set number of lives that can be lost before they start getting complained at.

What are your opinions on whether either of these would work or whether another idea would work better?
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

As I said, I have no idea where marvel's civil war aside from a back alley rumblings which usually happen they have their pants*. I've heard some in high fly clubs in the restrooms among white powder tinges, as well*. But we all know that that these sources are trusted as far as one keeps threatening them with the Po-Po.

Going back to The Boys, It is long past #6, Ennis originally started the series with Wildstorm and then after a polite pliet and jete that was accompanied with his disagreement or whatever you call these things when a publisher suddenly drops ya, he moved over to dynamite comics a while later and now it's up to issue #30 or 31.

The original premise seems to be centered around trigger-happy beat ups.

But as the story develops it just becomes more of a go there and take them all out shiite-schemata.

edit: I'm being an idiot -

* - Due to several signed medical release forms from several doctoral places of businesses, we shall just state that, A_C was, what are the terms, kidding, n'est pas? Or was he?

edit: I'm being an idiot -
Last edited by Cynic on Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Parthenon
Knight-Baron

Post by Parthenon »

I'm sorry but that post makes no sense to me whatsoever. Could you clarify it a bit more for me please?
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Parthenon wrote:I'm sorry but that post makes no sense to me whatsoever. Could you clarify it a bit more for me please?
summary: I can't do comedy well it seems. I don't know CW. Ennis had a disagreement with Wildstorm which originally was the publisher of The boys until #6 when they dropped it. A while later it was picked up Dynamite comics and it is ongoing and they are at #30 or 31. now the storyline is more about just taking out supes rather than (by the original team) rather than keeping them in line.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Yeah, most of the 8000 'evil' superhumans in the UK scenario are potheads or other nonviolent criminals.

-Crissa