Spells You Never Cast

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Koumei wrote:fbmf: yeah, Emotion, Symbol and a few others.

I could see reason to bundle "I'm a prick" spells together (Sepia Snake Sigil, Explosive Runes).
I'm looking at bundling Secret Page, Illusionary Script, Explosive Runes, Snake Sigil, and...anything else that's Hands -Off-My-Spellbook-ish?

Game On,
fbmf
Last edited by fbmf on Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

fbmf wrote:
Koumei wrote:fbmf: yeah, Emotion, Symbol and a few others.

I could see reason to bundle "I'm a prick" spells together (Sepia Snake Sigil, Explosive Runes).
I'm looking at bundling Secret Page, Illusionary Script, Explosive Runes, Snake Sigil, and...anything else that's Hands -Off-My-Spellbook-ish?

Game On,
fbmf
Illusionary Script and Secret Page go well together, and all the flavors of "I prepared ____ this morning" bundle well, but I'm not sure they all go together. Explosive Runes is actually pretty sweet by itself, especially for spontanious casters. Just drop the level on Illusionary Script/Secret Page instead, possibly even to cantrip, and it should be cool.

My 2 cents.
K
King

Post by K »

Illusionary Script and Secret Page belong to an age when the only arcane caster was the Wizard and finding a spellbook was big deal.

DMs were never really comfortable with the straight up power increase it gave the Wizard and so we have this legacy of Symbols and Explosive Runes and Sepia Snake Sigils to either cheat the players out of the spellbook or just make it a lot of trouble so that players feel that they deserve it.

Now that most arcane enemies are Sorcerers, those spells don't need to exist any more. Players are now automatically getting cheated out of enemy spellbooks.
Last edited by K on Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

...What the fuck? Illusionary Script isn't just a means to guard spellbooks. I mean it is, but it's also a save or lose with a duration of DAYS.

Go read the description again. Then get yourself a nice jacket.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Roy wrote:...What the fuck? Illusionary Script isn't just a means to guard spellbooks. I mean it is, but it's also a save or lose with a duration of DAYS.

You're thinking of the Sepia Snake Sigil. Illusory Script is just a save vs. GTFO that lasts for half an hour.

-Username17
K
King

Post by K »

Roy wrote:...What the fuck? Illusionary Script isn't just a means to guard spellbooks. I mean it is, but it's also a save or lose with a duration of DAYS.

It really is just to guard spellbooks. The fact that you have to cast it on writing means that the only event it comes up is when someone is looking through your books, so while you can make a nice little Suggestion trap, the odds are 99% of the time it'll be used to guard spellbooks.

I mean, none of the spells has wording that stops you from casting it on a piece of paper and pasting it to your shield to flash your enemies with it, but it's pretty clear it was never intended to be used that way. The combat uses of starting a surprise combat with an Explosive Runes or a Sepia Snake Sigil are obvious, but clearly unintended.

I mean, it would be kind of awesome if you killed the BBEG with a message intended for his eyes only that happened to be an Illusionary Script with orders to come alone to a ambush spot without his armor and weapons, but getting that to work in any actual adventure is not going to happen for people.

By the same token, the story of a low-level wizard leapfrogging through time by hitting himself with a Sepia Snake Sigil is neat, it feels to twinkish for fiction.
Last edited by K on Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

FrankTrollman wrote:

You're thinking of the Sepia Snake Sigil. Illusory Script is just a save vs. GTFO that lasts for half an hour.

-Username17
Illusory Script
Illusion (Phantasm) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 minute or longer; see text
Range: Touch
Target: One touched object weighing no more than 10 lb.
Duration: One day/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

You write instructions or other information on parchment, paper, or any suitable writing material. The illusory script appears to be some form of foreign or magical writing. Only the person (or people) designated by you at the time of the casting are able to read the writing; it’s unintelligible to any other character, although an illusionist recognizes it as illusory script.

Any unauthorized creature attempting to read the script triggers a potent illusory effect and must make a saving throw. A successful saving throw means the creature can look away with only a mild sense of disorientation. Failure means the creature is subject to a suggestion implanted in the script by you at the time the illusory script spell was cast. The suggestion lasts only 30 minutes. Typical suggestions include “Close the book and leave,” “Forget the existence of the book,” and so forth. If successfully dispelled by dispel magic, the illusory script and its secret message disappear. The hidden message can be read by a combination of the true seeing spell with the read magic or comprehend languages spell.

The casting time depends on how long a message you wish to write, but it is always at least 1 minute.
Material Component

A lead-based ink (cost of not less than 50 gp).
Now clearly, you can write on clothing. Hell, there's whole businesses that specialize in writing on clothing and then selling that clothing.

So you have your magic jacket on, and some fool goes to hit you.

Save or lose, because the Suggestion is something that will fuck up their attack.

Now Explosive Runes doesn't work, because you blow yourself up, and the other thing might not work properly either. But Illusionary Script absolutely does work.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Slade
Knight

Post by Slade »

Roy wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17

Now clearly, you can write on clothing. Hell, there's whole businesses that specialize in writing on clothing and then selling that clothing.

So you have your magic jacket on, and some fool goes to hit you.

Save or lose, because the Suggestion is something that will fuck up their attack.

Now Explosive Runes doesn't work, because you blow yourself up, and the other thing might not work properly either. But Illusionary Script absolutely does work.
Drawback: The hidden message can be read by a combination of the true seeing spell with the read magic or comprehend languages spell.

So they have to be able to True seeing (easy) or have Comprehend languages on (rarer).
Yes, this does mean higher level enemies more vulnerable than low level (other than DC).
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Slade wrote:Drawback: The hidden message can be read by a combination of the true seeing spell with the read magic or comprehend languages spell.

So they have to be able to True seeing (easy) or have Comprehend languages on (rarer).
Yes, this does mean higher level enemies more vulnerable than low level (other than DC).
Why's that? It consistently refers to the 'fake' message as the "script", so you don't need someone trying to get at the super-secret actual message, just a cursory glance at the 'fake' message.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

fectin wrote:
Slade wrote:Drawback: The hidden message can be read by a combination of the true seeing spell with the read magic or comprehend languages spell.

Why's that? It consistently refers to the 'fake' message as the "script", so you don't need someone trying to get at the super-secret actual message, just a cursory glance at the 'fake' message.
Exactly. For this purpose, the actual message is quite irrelevant. It can be "If you can read this, you're too close.", "I like shorts, they're comfy and easy to wear.", or the classic "Hi Welcome".

What matters is that in one of the least creative uses, you have a Sanctuary spell that doesn't break if you attack and lasts for days. And there's more you can do with it.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Aharon
Master

Post by Aharon »

@Black Blade of Disaster dealing meaningful damage
While obviously, the internet helped CO enormously, I think something like this probably has been around. Perhaps not with all the tricks, but still enough to make the damage by the Blade seem trivial.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Aharon wrote:@Black Blade of Disaster dealing meaningful damage
While obviously, the internet helped CO enormously, I think something like this probably has been around. Perhaps not with all the tricks, but still enough to make the damage by the Blade seem trivial.
I'm pretty sure the Complete Book of Elves is not official 2e material.

Maybe it is, but without that one book I have never even heard of, that character is just a regular archer.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I never had it personally, but I'm pretty sure each of the demi-humans had their own books. I know all/most of the classes had their own books. I just never used that stuff.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

CBoE was TSR, but there was no 2e Unearthed Arcana.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The CBoE was also called "The Master Race's Handbook", and was openly laughed at by people who played the game. It was literally laughed at for being ludicrously overpowered. Like, imagine the things whiners say about Tome of Battle, only imagine that everyone says it, because it is actually true.
I never had it personally, but I'm pretty sure each of the demi-humans had their own books.
Gnomes and Halflings had to share a book. To remind them how inferior they were to the master race. Which of course, is the Elf.
CBoE was TSR, but there was no 2e Unearthed Arcana.
Sure there was. It was just called the "Player's Option" series. Also known as "We aren't even trying anymore, make your own fucking game!". I find it endlessly amusing that now that 4e D&D has well and truly fallen apart, they are labeling their shit "Player's Options" to let you know how far out into bullshitistan their design principles have left them.

-Username17
Aharon
Master

Post by Aharon »

Now I actually took a look at the book. The introduction section is priceless :rofl:

For those graced with true vision, Elves comprise the finest race in all the worlds. We are that which other races aspire to be: Our longevity, our beauty, and our craftmanship are all the stuff of legends. Certainly, each of these attributes can be recreated in some fashion by the lesser races, but theirs is an artifice of face and form and creation never as fine as those that come naturally to us.
[...]
We would turn now to other matters, for to continue on in this vein would, no doubt, lead you to believe that we are boasting of elven prowess. We do not boast. Anyone who has seen even the slightest fraction of elven ability knows the truth of what we say within these pages.

Master race indeed...
Last edited by Aharon on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

One of my 2E characters was an archer very similar to that one. Before CBoE, I would never have considered an archer.

I was 12-16. Don't judge me.

Game On,
fbmf
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

The Bladesinger kit was the one I remember everyone slobbering over. (I.e. Elven fighter/magic-users get a bunch of extra benefits, just 'cuz.)
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Any spells from BoVD and BoEd worth saving for my 3.X houseruled game?

Right now, I'm looking at MINDRAPE, PESTILENCE (as an upgrade to Contagion), Blood of the Martyr, and Glory of the Martyr.

Naturally, I would remove any Vile of Exalted components of the spells. Also, I am looking at things that are good for the game, not spells that can be tricked out with obscure min-max combos to win D&D NO SAVE!

Game On,
fbmf