[Politics] Weed and Things

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Koumei wrote:I bought some padded inserts with arch support and gel impact-absorbers. They seem pretty effective. So that problem seems to be over.
Pay attention to the durability of your inserts. Most inserts only last a couple of months before getting crushed out of shape. You put a lot of force on the soles of your shoes.

-Username17
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I got something similar a while back to hopefully bring back the boots I had worn for years but are now too painful to wear. I found that a gel insert does not compensate for having broken down boots, and arch support gives me blisters that literally cover the entire bottoms of my feet (first time I had to lance a blister due to pain).
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, already my feet hurt again. That being said, it may not be an issue. The boss (who I don't really interact with and isn't even in the area that much) apparently called my case manager to say I'm not fast enough or showing enough initiative, so chances are I'll probably be sacked in a week anyway.

And given the constant pain, the difficulty waking up at 5 AM to return at 6 PM and everything, it's probably a good thing*. Fuck, if this is what the workforce is like, I think I'll break my spine for a permanent disability pension.

And with the pain and misery, this brings us rather neatly back to drugs.

*He can still go fuck himself though.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Two things:

I've heard from several independent sources that like a glass of wine every day is good for you.

I've also heard that nicotine is as addictive as cocaine.

What's the straight dope on this?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Two things:

I've heard from several independent sources that like a glass of wine every day is good for you.

I've also heard that nicotine is as addictive as cocaine.

What's the straight dope on this?
The first is one of those medical findings thats gets touted regularly and on occasion contradicted. From what I discern if you like wine, a glass a day won't hurt and may help, so that may be all the excuse you need.

As to the second one, I think Keith Richards said that giving up cigarettes was more difficult than giving up heroin. I was always under the impression that heroin engendered a stronger addiction than cocaine, so yeah, nicotine is probably a tough habit to quit.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Though I think the Nicotine/Heroin comparison may be based on more than just strength of dependence. I mean, if you have a moment of weakness, you can buy nicontine quickly and easily no matter where you are, and you can even excuse yourself from work to go hit up. Plus you'll see people using it all over the place and even get offered some.

That's gotta make quitting hard.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Alcohol damages the liver and causes rectal cancer. Alcohol is protective against coronary artery disease and stroke.

The negative effects appear to have thresholds below which their effects cannot be measured. The positive effects seem to scale proportionately to as high doses as we dare test. So the optimum healthy consumption of alcohol is as much as you can consume without giving yourself bowel or liver disease.

Unfortunately, that number is variable based on a lot of factors. But one of the easiest factors to track is binging. Which is to say that drinking alcohol in a short time is much more damaging than drinking the same alcohol over a longer time (and about the same amount protective). So the suggestion is one drink a day. It doesn't specifically have to be wine, you could down a shot of rum every day instead. But it's socially acceptable to have a single glass of wine with dinner and then stop drinking. So that' the recommendation.

-Username17
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I do believe that the health benefits attributed to a glass of wine each day are more correctly attributed to a glass of red wine each day, and the agent responsible is frequently cited to be resveratrol.

Resveratrol is suspected to play a role in increasing longevity, and may prevent the growth of cancerous tumors. It's an anti-inflammatory anti-oxidant, which may help mitigate cardiovascular damage and help stabilize blood sugar.

The best source of resveratrol is the skin of red grapes, and the fermentation process of wine increases the concentration significantly. Resveratrol can be found in smaller concentrations in dark-colored berry-like fruits such as blueberries, red and purple grapes, cranberries, and cacao, and it is also found in peanuts. It is sensitive to heat and food processing methods, and because it is produced by plants as a defense mechanism, it would be logical to find higher concentrations in organically grown food.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Reservatrol studies have been contradictory and disappointing. Anti-oxidants seem like they'd be super awesome, but the truth is that we haven't been able to actually show a health benefit from any of them. Vitamin E deficiency will fuck you up, but taking increased doses of Vitamin E doesn't seem to do a god damn thing.

Anti-oxidants are different from Homeopathy, in that there is a solid chemical model for how they would go about helping you against specific diseases. But they are like homeopathy in that actual double blind studies do not show positive health effects. If someone tells you about the wonders of anti-oxidants there is a very high chance that they don't know what they are talking about. Evidence based medicine simply does not support their use.

The truth is that the mechanism by which wine protects against stroke is distressingly mechanical. The alcohol in it thins the blood and breaks up clots. It's like taking mini doses of Aspirin every day, and is protective for the same reason. Drinking a glass of high-brow wine every day makes you feel cultured and smug, and the fact that there are positive health benefits for doing so certainly adds to the appeal. But the truth is that you could get the same benefits by throwing down a shot of hobo juice every day with breakfast.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

FrankTrollman wrote:Reservatrol studies have been contradictory and disappointing. Anti-oxidants seem like they'd be super awesome, but the truth is that we haven't been able to actually show a health benefit from any of them. Vitamin E deficiency will fuck you up, but taking increased doses of Vitamin E doesn't seem to do a god damn thing.

Anti-oxidants are different from Homeopathy, in that there is a solid chemical model for how they would go about helping you against specific diseases. But they are like homeopathy in that actual double blind studies do not show positive health effects. If someone tells you about the wonders of anti-oxidants there is a very high chance that they don't know what they are talking about. Evidence based medicine simply does not support their use.

The truth is that the mechanism by which wine protects against stroke is distressingly mechanical. The alcohol in it thins the blood and breaks up clots. It's like taking mini doses of Aspirin every day, and is protective for the same reason. Drinking a glass of high-brow wine every day makes you feel cultured and smug, and the fact that there are positive health benefits for doing so certainly adds to the appeal. But the truth is that you could get the same benefits by throwing down a shot of hobo juice every day with breakfast.

-Username17
Cool, I hate wine.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

@Prak, you low-brow swine. You just can't appreciate culture.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:I've heard from several independent sources that like a glass of wine every day is good for you.
Of course it is good for you. A key element to neing healthy is being happy. :tongue:

Assuming you mean a good wine.
A good local wine.
From a local vineyard.
With nice live music.

Of course if you walked there it would have been double plus good.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Well, Dylan Moran claims there are two varieties of wine:
[*]"Mm, okay, that's quite good, we'll have eight of those, can we get eight of those?"
[*]"Gah, ack, what is this shit, it's awful!"

As opposed to the shit that wine sellers tell you, "Mm, a hint of moccasin. Brake fluid... yes, a good drink for when you're running through a railway tunnel, chased by the SS, going to meet the monks."

On the other hand, I think all wine falls into his second category. Beer too - I only drink it if it's all that's there to drink at all and I'm really hungry/thirsty.

...but an excuse for having a few cruisers or mudshakes a day? Sure!
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

You just need to drink good wine and or good beer. What's good? You will know it when you come to it ... keep drinking!

And before you just think that this is just a quest to get a good buzz. I tell thee fine thee a good bottle of Fentiman's Shandy. That's good stuff.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Query: if it was possible to create or manufacture a drug with little-to-no side effects but gave people the 'high' that they wanted (like the fictional Soma), do you think that criminalizing the more troublesome drugs like alcohol and heroin and nicotine would be more fruitful?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Query: if it was possible to create or manufacture a drug with little-to-no side effects but gave people the 'high' that they wanted (like the fictional Soma), do you think that criminalizing the more troublesome drugs like alcohol and heroin and nicotine would be more fruitful?
I doubt it. Not necessarily the criminalization part, but the part where you have a consequence-free drug that wouldn't cause people to lose their shit in outrage over.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Given there's a drug that has all of the following effects:
[*]Makes you sit down and think for a bit
[*]Detoxes you of heroin addiction etc.

And the US banned that? Good luck getting such a thing legalized. They'll keep their nicotine and tobacco.

And last I checked, outside a few certain countries, heroin is illegal.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Heroin is physically addictive, and dangerous. It hooks you in, and skullfucks your life. There is no good thing about Heroin. It should be addictive.

You don't "try Heroin just this once" You make a mistake in judgement, and now you're fucked.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

He was talking about Acid I think, not heroin.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I can't remember the name of the drug I was talking about in that case. But the US banned it, presumably because they're balls-deep in the drug trade.

But
do you think that criminalizing the more troublesome drugs like alcohol and heroin and nicotine would be more fruitful?
Two of those three are not currently criminalised in the US and UK. Along with many other countries, but those are the only two people care about.

The other one totally is illegal. This is probably a good thing.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

We're still giving out heroin to heavy users in need over here, to keep them from comitting crimes to finance their addiction, hurt themselves even more with the stuff heroin is cut with on the streets, and to help reintegrating them in society. Works very well.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

That system sounds good to me. But it's not exactly legal as a substance, is it? I mean, if you sell it to someone in an alleyway or your house is searched and they find a kilo of the stuff, I imagine you'll go to prison.

In the UK, doctors can prescribe it (by the alternative name diamorphine, due to the chemical name being diacetylmorphone, though I prefer to think of it as Dire Morphine - add a size category and increase the CR!) to (usually elderly) patients who are in serious pain.

But that hardly makes heroin legal over there, just like hospitals are stocked with cocaine over here (for nose surgery, especially on children) but normal possession will give you jailtime.