Apparently Expiditious Retreat, Swift Is Broken

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

Swashbuckler wrote: As for the rest of the story. Is it really so hard to construct an encounter that can plausibly work within the rules? Is it really so hard to encourage people to build characters that carry their weight in combat? I don't see how either of these are so difficult, so stories like this just blow my mind.
I have no idea why but it seems that some people want to play fairy tea party instead of D&D.

This was a bit nonstandard even for the failtrain that most games I've played in have been. I assumed that these were going to be OK people and then brought a gish-like character rather than my usual conjurer.

In most games I've played in the other PC have been varying degrees of fail but with a well played conjurer in the party they still had fun beating the encounters. I'm pretty chill about this sort of thing and people who are smart enough to understand how much I'm carrying the party are usually fairly chill about it themselves. Where things when wrong here is that they could directly compare my performance to the Paladick and I was often outshining him despite clearly inferior stats.
Mr. GC
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

Swashbuckler wrote:As for the rest of the story. Is it really so hard to construct an encounter that can plausibly work within the rules? Is it really so hard to encourage people to build characters that carry their weight in combat? I don't see how either of these are so difficult, so stories like this just blow my mind.
I'd like to say no, it really isn't and really shouldn't. But take a look around you man. Even here, there are PLENTY of people that simply cannot. Many of which have posted in this thread.

If it still shocks you, you are very fortunate. My advice is to just leave. Quit while you're ahead, no longer talk to D&D people you're not directly gaming with.

Otherwise, 95% chance you end up a dick like me. No one wants that. Especially me.
FrankTrollman wrote:The Melee Fighter's contribution to the game is that Cleric gets to see less of the future and summon less angels. Seriously, that's his contribution. It's not harmless fun. It's showing up to restaurants without your wallet and expecting your friends to pay your way. For fun.
K wrote:Rogue is a bad choice because the game can't handle a whole party that uses stealth or a whole party doing sneak attack.
Kaelik wrote:...the party having even a chance of dying is bad, not good.
:rofl: