Let's Play Fighting Fantasy #6: Deathtrap Dungeon

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

What should we do if we die in this?

Restart from last point we were alive
50%
Restart from beginning
25%
End the madness
No votes
Start another book
25%

Total votes: 12

Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

That's an absolutely horrible idea. I vote we step through the archway.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(Agreed.)

The tunnel continues west for several hundred meters, finally ending at some steps leading up to a closed trapdoor. You climb the steps slowly, hearing muffled voices above you. In the dim light you see that the trapdoor is not locked.

Do you wish to knock on the trapdoor or burst through the trapdoor with your sword drawn?
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I vote knock.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You hear footsteps and suddenly the trapdoor is thrown back. For a few seconds you are completely blinded by the bright light from the room above and do not see the Goblin thrusting his spear downwards, or hear his sadistic laughter as the point pierces your neck. Your adventure ends here on the stone steps of the tunnel.

(Why would being blinded prevent us from hearing? And why can't we use our LUCK?)
(Only we don't have any space Fighting Fantasies, which is a shame as Space Assassin is probably the easiest FF out there, as the final challenge doesn't require having collected a dingus of any sort. Which means back to where we left off.)

You throw the trapdoor open and run up the steps into a bright, lantern-lit room. Two GOBLINS are sharpening their short swords on a stone set in the middle of the floor. You catch them momentarily off guard, but they quickly recover and both rush forward to attack you.
First GOBLIN SKILL 5 STAMINA 4
Second GOBLIN SKILL 5 STAMINA 5
Both Goblins will have a separate attack on you in each Attack Round, but you must choose which of the two you will fight. Attack your chosen Goblin as in a normal battle. Against the other you must throw for your Attack Strength in the normal way, but even if your Attack Strength is greater you will not wound it. You must just count this as though you have defended yourself against its blow. However, if its Attack Strength is greater it will have wounded you in the normal way.
(Wait, we don't get any advantage for catching these fuckers off guard?)
(Also, I'm having us attack the weaker Goblin first so we don't have to put up with both for long.)
Combat Log:
Goblin 1: 12, Goblin 2: 11, You: 18, 17; Goblin 1 is at 2 ST
Goblin 1: 11, Goblin 2: 11, You: 18, 14; Goblin 1 is dead.
Goblin 2: 13, You: 13; tie.
Goblin 2: 11, You; 13; Goblin 2 is at 3 ST.
Goblin 2: 11, You; 13; Goblin 2 is at 1 ST.
Goblin 2: 15, You: 14; You are at 13 ST.
Goblin 2: 10, you: 16; Goblin 2 is dead.
The only furniture in the Goblin's room is a table, two chairs and a cupboard on the wall. There are two closed doors, one in the west wall and the other in the north wall. Will you:
Open the cupboard?
Open the west door?
Open the north door?

Errol Flynn (as portrayed by Cary Elwes)
SKILL 8/10
STAMINA 13/19
LUCK 13/13
Equipment: Leather Armor, Sword, Shield, Opal-Studded Dagger
Gems: Emerald, Ruby
Gold Pieces: 2
Provisions: 1 Meal (+4 STAMINA)
Potions: None
Other: Manticore Parchment
Running total of deaths: 3
Running total of "Fuck that shit:" 2
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Cupboartd! We won the fight, so they should have treasure.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The cupboard contains a wooden mallet and ten iron spikes, which you put in your backpack while wondering which door to open.

Do you wish to open the west door or open the north door?

SKILL 8/10
STAMINA 13/19
LUCK 13/13
Gems: Emerald, Ruby
Other: Manticore Parchment, Wooden Mallet, 10 Iron Spikes
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

I'm sure those will come in handy!

Didn't we decide going north led to the way out a while back? Let's go north.

(I really want a copy of this book now)
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(Yeah, and going west in these tunnels has given us a cursed bell that seriously fucked our shit up and a giant worm that we ran from.)

(Regarding the book itself, it's quite popular, and there have been quite a few reprints over the years, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.)

The door opens into another tunnel, which rises gently into the distance. After walking uphill for a while, the tunnel levels out, and you soon arrive at a door in the right-hand wall, to which a withered hand is nailed.

Do you wish to open the door or continue north?
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Open the door, because opening things has never led to bad things before in this game.
Half asleep upon my knee
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You enter a room in which a man in tattered clothing is standing chained to the wall by his left arm. You see that his right hand is missing and realize that his must be the hand nailed to the door. Pleading for mercy, he cowers back from you as far as his chains will allow.

Do you want to cut him free from his chains or rather leave the room to head north?

Fun fact: the man in the illustration is Ian Livingstone, author of this book, circa 1984.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Cut 'em free; Errol Flynn's mama raised him to be nice and polite-like.
Half asleep upon my knee
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(OK, we let Ian Livingstone go!)

You step up to the frightened man and cleave the chain with his sword. He drops to his knees and thanks you over and over again. He tells you that four years ago he entered the Trial of Champions but failed. He fell down a pit and had to be rescued by a Trialmaster, one of Baron Sukumvit's dungeon administrators. He was offered a choice between death and servitude in Deathtrap Dungeon as the Trialmaster's minion. Choosing the latter, he worked like a slave until he could stand it no longer and tried to escape. Alas, he was unsuccessful and was captured by the Trialmaster's wandering Orc guards. To teach him a lesson, they cut off his hand and condemned him to a year's imprisonment in this cell. You ask him whether he has any information that might be of use to you. He scratches his head. "Well, I haven't exactly done very well in here myself," he says, "but I do know that you need to collect gems and precious stones if you hope to get out. I don't know why, but there it is." Without another word, the ragged prisoner dashes out of the room, turning left into the tunnel. You decide to keep heading north and turn right into the tunnel.

(This is perhaps the most bumbling author insert character I've ever seen. I approve. He co-founded Games Workshop, so I suppose the Orc guards were upset about their racist depiction in Warhammer 40k.)

There is an open pipe in the right-hand wall, about a meter in diameter. It is too dark to see far down it. You shout into it and hear your voice echoing down the iron pipe until eventually the sound fades away.

Do you wish to crawl down the pipe or rather continue north?
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

North, fight the good fight, get high on hashish, smash a few heads, dance like it hurts, lick like it rocks, screw like your making love to a Phillips head, do the VICTORY BOOGIE(TM) and rip the universe apart with the cosmic gyrations...

...I was going some place with this, and now I forgot where.

Fuck it, let's crawl down the pipe.
Half asleep upon my knee
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The pipe is wet and slimy, but you crawl on into the dank darkness, slithering and sliding as you go. Suddenly your hand touches something hard and square as if it is made of wood. It rattles as you shake it, and you decide that you must be holding a box.

Do you wish to crawl back out of the pipe and examine your find or rather press on further down the pipe, taking the box with you to examine later?
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Crawl back out and examine it.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Removing the box lid by the light of the tunnel, you find an iron key and a large gem. It is a sapphire. Add 1 LUCK point (we're still at full.) Placing the items carefully in your backpack, you set off north once again.

There is a new branch in the tunnel on your left, and ahead you see two bodies lying on the floor. You stop and peer down the new tunnel, but seeing no doors or creatures you decide against walking down it. With your sword drawn, you walk over to where the bodies lie.

The bodies are those of two Orc guards. At least one of your rivals in the Trial of Champions must still be ahead of you. A quick search of the bodies produces nothing apart from a necklace of teeth hanging around the neck of one of the Orcs.

Do you wish to wear the necklace yourself or rather set off north without the necklace?

SKILL 8/10
STAMINA 13/19
LUCK 13/13
Gems: Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire
Other: Manticore Parchment, Wooden Mallet, 10 Iron Spikes, Iron Key
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Whoah, I never knew this took place in Chiang Mai. I lived there as a little kid. Delicious jellied eels...

Let's put that necklace on, because doing things is more interesting than not doing things.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Agreed.

Teeth are delicious. Especially when they belong to someone else.
Half asleep upon my knee
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Yep, put on the necklace.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(Ogre: Awesome. Did you meet an insane baron there who holds an annual dungeon crawl contest?)

The necklace is an amulet of strength. Add 1 SKILL point and 1 STAMINA point and continue your quest north.
The tunnel soon ends at a junction. Standing there alone and wondering which way to go is one of your rivals. It is one of the Barbarians. You call out to him, but at first he does not answer, he merely stares at you coldly, his hands firmly gripping his axe. You walk up to him and ask which way he is heading. He grunts his reply, saying that he is going west, and you may go with him if you wish.

Would you like to head west with the Barbarian or rather decline his offer and head east alone?

SKILL 9/10
STAMINA 14/19
LUCK 13/13
Equipment: Leather Armor, Sword, Shield, Opal-Studded Dagger, Amulet of Strength
Gems: Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire
Other: Manticore Parchment, Wooden Mallet, 10 Iron Spikes, Iron Key
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

I'd trust him about as far as I could throw him.

WE GO ALONE
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Aww, but look at that badass eyepatch! A dude like this would just get axe happy straight away if he was gonna attack us, I say we join him.

Plus, Errol Flynn and Conan the Barbarian is a team-up that cannot be denied.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The tunnel soon comes to a dead end. A piece of paper, brown and curled with age, is pinned to the end wall.

Do you wish to pull it off the wall to see whether there is a message on it or rather hurry back down the tunnel to join the Barbarian?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(Sorry Red_Rob, I didn't notice your post. Although it was 50/50, and you can vote to turn back and join up with him.)
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(My apologies for the triple post. I'm going with Red_Rob's suggestion of meeting back up with the Barbarian, because Errol Flynn and Eyepatch Conan is too awesome a team up to ignore.)

Although you are slightly uneasy in each other's company, knowing that there can be only one winner in the Trial of Champions, you are both content to share in the benefits of a temporary alliance. You begin to tell each other of your exploits so far, of the monsters and traps encountered and the dangers overcome. Walking along, you soon come to the edge of a wide pit. It is too deep and dark to see the bottom. The Barbarian offers to lower you to the bottom with his rope, saying he has a torch which he can light for you to use. Will you:

Accept the Barbarian's offer?
Offer to lower him down if he is so eager to investigate the pit?
Suggest that you both jump over the pit instead?