DomIII: Cosmic Team-Up

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

World War I has begun.

-Agartha
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Any chance of an AAR of any kind on this game once it's done? Dominions AAR's are the best.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Red_Rob wrote:Any chance of an AAR of any kind on this game once it's done? Dominions AAR's are the best.
Quite possibly. We are halfway through Year 3, and the imprisoned gods have not broken free. At this point, the Agartha/Rlyeh team owns slightly more than half the map. Rlyeh has more research than any faction has combined. But the team only has 11 VPs of 20 to force a win that way.

As Agartha, I've been trying to play this game more like Go and less like Chess. And so our armies have relocated themselves to distant parts of the world, and we've seized several provinces with scouts. Agarthan forces have cut off both Atlantis and Mictlan from the sea, giving Rlyeh an almost completely free tentacle to do anything it wants. Mictlan itself is under siege, and Tien Chi's dominion is faltering.

Now it is simply the time for everyone to be crushed between a rock and the sea.

-Username17
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Atlantis is arguably the #3 power, but we're trailing in both research (in part due to selecting a Drain scale on our dominion) and number of troops, which is going to really hurt us now that the Agarthan juggernaut is rolling south. We did manage to eliminate (and take) the unprotected provinces that Agartha and R'lyeh had seized from Mictlan, but that just effectively reduced Mictlan to a rump state. T'ien Ch'i is our partner, but presumably they have their hands full with R'lyeh, and otherwise share a larger border with Agartha. Caelum I'm not sure what they /can/ do. They're separated from Mictlan by Atlantis and presumably R'lyeh holds all the provinces along their coast.

If I can throw back Agartha and if T'ien Ch'i can successfully resist R'lyeh we might be able to grapple with Agartha...but given the geography and individual abilities of our nations, it's hard to see that really happening.
folytooo
NPC

Post by folytooo »

Has anyone actually heard from Orion/Mictlan? I have not seen him online on steam or on facebook or any of the other funky internet stuff. Is he submitting his turns?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

folytooo wrote:Has anyone actually heard from Orion/Mictlan? I have not seen him online on steam or on facebook or any of the other funky internet stuff. Is he submitting his turns?
Orion said his issue was fixed, but he staled the last couple of turns.

I'm sieging his capital, so I'm not sure how much difference it will make at this point. He posted his rambling "Of Bears and Barons" rant on Sunday, so he has been online.

-Username17
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Well, that turn went about as well as could be hoped for. Agartha's invasion of Atlantis seems temporarily stalled after invading a province at the same time as a much larger Atlantean force moved into it and were routed; only a few crossbowmen managed to escape.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

I though Agartha was one of the "terrible" races? Or was that a different era?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Different era. MA Agartha is terribad; LA Agartha is competitive.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I won *a* battle. So there have been worse turns.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Ikeren wrote:I though Agartha was one of the "terrible" races? Or was that a different era?
Agartha is amazing in its terribleness in both Early and Middle Era. In late era, they have a simplistic but decent army and excellent build-anywhere mages. You also get some really nice national summons, and you can hire heavy infantry who require magic leadership in order to take leadership demands off your powerful build-anywhere mages.

It's ironic, Agartha only gets any good at all when the last Agarthan Cyclops dies and they go on to have a normal army full of humans.

-Username17
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Turn 32. Atlantis reclaims the territory lost a couple seasons ago to Agartha. A random effort to probe Agarthan defenses behind enemy lines results in the total massacre of the First Atlantean Lycanthrope Corps; a not completely unexpected turn of events, but worth a shot even if it did turn out to be a waste of gems.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Just looked at the most recent turn. Thanks to conscription and Gift of Health, my capital's PD is apparently a frickin' bear to deal with. A Rlyeh-ite host just squished on it.

Man, I love conscription out of all proportion to its actual effectiveness.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Turn 33, and the outlook for Mictlan is grim. Agartha has claimed their capital city, and their dominion teeters on nonexistence. R'lyeh sends dreams of madness against Atlantis, but so far most of them stave off outright insanity.

A single costly battle between Agartha and Atlantis - Atlantis with just over a hundred troops, including a brace of horse archers, and Agartha with perhaps seventy crossbowmen, infantry, and lizard warriors. What Agartha lacks in numbers it makes up for in magic, and its mighty necromancies take quite a toll on the Atlantean troops, but the Agarthan lizard-conscripts do not hold on one flank and a pack of Atlantean troops managed to strike to the rear on the other, and eventually the Agarthans were forced to retreat into their citadel. Heavy losses on each side, but the siege has begun...
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Mictlan has fallen - and with it, likely any chance for Caelum to win on its own. A massive Agarthan army appears on Atlantis' mostly unguarded western border even as the body of Atlantis' army causes a breach in the Agarthan fortress they are sieging in the north - and through it all, R'lyeh sends dreams of madness and death, slaying commanders and bottlenecking much-needed Atlantean troops. It is a grim period, and it remains to be seen if anything can be done to match the power of the alliance of Agartha and R'lyeh.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

The new turn file causes my game to crash. Any suggestions?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

They released a new patch for DomIII. You'll need to download and install it.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The patch is Here.

-Username17
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Well, good news and bad. The good news is victory in the north - Agartha's inland kelp citadel was guarded by a handful of lizards and exploding undead and fell easily to the siege, and one of its other barely-defended provinces fell to a small expeditionary force. To the south, however, the news is bad - Agartha has expanded and claimed the former territories of Mictlan, and the bulk of their army, archers and crossbowmen designed to destroy waves of jaguar warriors before they could close in to melee, decimated the defending forces of Atlantis and scattering the remnants of the smaller force into the surrounding provinces. Now once again Atlantis rallies her troops to stem the Agarthan invasion, except this time it is less clear where they shall attack...
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Caellum has announced that they feel their position is hopeless and want to go AI. I cannot blame them, and if that is what they want to do, they are free to.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Although it does mean the army they have sitting on my eastern border will invade, and that will probably be the end of Atlantis.
folytooo
NPC

Post by folytooo »

I was thinking about how I could win versus a ryleh, agartha team. It would have to be a team up of me and Atlantis and Tien Chi versus them. Then hope to hope for a good backstab. I did not want to try and force a fight with atlantis. I saw one of you major armies and I do not think I could take it until the undead factory was off the ground.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Well, if you want to go AI, no one will blame you (not even me). If you want to stay in the game you can ally with Atlantis and T'ien Ch'i, maybe use your carefully-hoarded gems to land some attacks on Agartha and R'lyeh. Either way, the Triple Alliance is at a disadvantage.
folytooo
NPC

Post by folytooo »

Alright I am down for an alliance, the midgame is where dominions 3 shines.
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

I'm postponing the game another 24-ish hours--I'm on vacation in San Francisco and opportunity to take my turn has been sporadic.
P.C. Hodgell wrote:That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
shadzar wrote:i think the apostrophe is an outdated idea such as is hyphenation.