Wizard suing MtG clone for IP infringement

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

ACOS wrote:
MGuy wrote: So what happens if someone 'accidentally' does whatever secret thing you did? Can you sue over that?
I'm pretty sure you can.
Patents are part of the public record, and there's even a form you can fill out for the USPO to see if what you made already has a patent.
Basically, you have a duty to make sure you're not infringing on someone else's work.
Except the whole point is that trade secrets are 99% things you can't patent or that patenting does no good because the copying is not infringement.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

Hmm.
Okay, I'm going to free-flow some thoughts here:

Processes are patented. The major point of reverse-engineering a patented product is to figure out if/how said product can be replicated via a different process.
Kodak fought over this with their Polaroid camera, and lost. AMD and Intel have fought each other over this concerning multi-core processors (though, I didn't keep up with the results).

So, I'm thinking that "trade secret" is only a really big deal when the exact process itself is a moot point. If it actually doesn't matter when/where in the process a particular ingredient is added (for example), then the process itself isn't important.

Also, don't patents expire? If Coca-Cola were able to protect their recipe through the legal bureaucracy, that would eventually expire. What does that do for their long-term business model and viability?
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

So, do you think patent law will ever get bad enough that someone will be able to patent the process of acquiring a patent? :tongue:
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

TiaC wrote:So, do you think patent law will ever get bad enough that someone will be able to patent the process of acquiring a patent? :tongue:
I think that the gov't already did that. :tongue:
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

So the patent fee is actually a licensing fee?
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
mlangsdorf
Master

Post by mlangsdorf »

ACOS wrote:Hmm.
Okay, I'm going to free-flow some thoughts here:

Processes are patented. The major point of reverse-engineering a patented product is to figure out if/how said product can be replicated via a different process.
Kodak fought over this with their Polaroid camera, and lost. AMD and Intel have fought each other over this concerning multi-core processors (though, I didn't keep up with the results).
I worked at AMD from 1998 until 2011 and did engineering work on software for multi-core. I'm not aware of any legal issues over the multi-core processors, and I'd be surprised, since technical stuff like that is heavily cross licensed between the two companies.

AMD did renegotiate parts of the cross-license deal in the mid-aughts, and later won a lawsuit over unfair trade practices, but none of that involved patents as far as I know.
ACOS wrote:Hmm.

So, I'm thinking that "trade secret" is only a really big deal when the exact process itself is a moot point. If it actually doesn't matter when/where in the process a particular ingredient is added (for example), then the process itself isn't important.

Also, don't patents expire? If Coca-Cola were able to protect their recipe through the legal bureaucracy, that would eventually expire. What does that do for their long-term business model and viability?
Trade secrets are mostly things like sales figures and marketing plans. You don't want your competitor to see them and it's generally internal data that shouldn't leak out if you're careful. Using trade secrets law to protect a process is something of an outlier.

And as noted upstream by Frank, Coca-Cola's "secret" formula isn't secret and can be trivially determined by a college undergrad with access to a gas chromotograph/mass spectrometer. Coke's business model and long term viability depends on brand recognition, trade dress, and distribution contracts, and all of those are protected (to the extent they are protected) by different parts of the law.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

mlangsdorf wrote:Trade secrets are mostly things like sales figures and marketing plans. You don't want your competitor to see them and it's generally internal data that shouldn't leak out if you're careful. Using trade secrets law to protect a process is something of an outlier.
Using trade secrets law to protect processes is common as dirt in the financial sector. If you are an investment firm, you absolutely do not want your competition to know your methodology, models, etc or you would shortly be out of business.
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

mlangsdorf wrote: I worked at AMD from 1998 until 2011 and did engineering work on software for multi-core. I'm not aware of any legal issues over the multi-core processors, and I'd be surprised, since technical stuff like that is heavily cross licensed between the two companies.

AMD did renegotiate parts of the cross-license deal in the mid-aughts, and later won a lawsuit over unfair trade practices, but none of that involved patents as far as I know.
I had thought that I remembered something about some tech litigation between the 2 in the early-to-mid aughts. Something along the lines of Intel reverse-engineering a piece of AMD tech, and AMD sued for patent infringement. The part that sticks out to me was that when AMD subpenaed Intel's out-look plan, the particular tech in question seemed completely tacked-on (and curiously so) and had not logical place in their overall plan.

But I'm really very foggy on the whole thing, so it very well may have been what you just described.
(and I'm inclined to take your word for it, for obvious reasons)
Last edited by ACOS on Tue May 20, 2014 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

I just now noticed that the thread title says "Wizard suing" not "Wizards suing" making it look like the plaintiff is an actual wizard, not the company Wizards of the Coast.

Why yes, I AM easily amused.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Even if it said Wizards it could be a class action lawsuit.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.