[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 28 - Phantoms of Fear

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Which of Robin Waterfield's FF works would you like to play next?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:39 am

Masks of Mayhem (FF23)
50%
Phantoms of Fear (FF28)
50%
Deathmoor ((FF55)
No votes

Total votes: 6

SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Deduct 1 POWER point. The spell does not indicate that the valley contains danger as such, but warns you of a powerful animal aura, which is neutral rather than hostile. Will you carry on through the valley or retreat out of it and find another route northwest?
POWER down to 18.

Do we want to visit this powerful animal?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Fuck yes, let's visit ultra-... dog? I'm hoping it's a dog.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Visit the neutral thingy.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Carry on through the valley, as our hero should fear no neutral aura. For we are with DVS; his sword and his power also comfort him.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

I hope we get an animal sidekick. Into the valley!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Go look for an animal companion
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You pass, on the left side of the valley, a rock formation which juts out of the cliff like some vast buttress. As soon as you are past it, you can see that it is matches by another about two hundred metres further down. In the backwater as it were, of the valley, which lies between these twin buttresses, you find the answer to your questions about the nature of this place.

Two majestic stags, whose many-branched antlers indicate great age and authority, are standing, apparently on guard, in front of a vast pile of bones. You now realize that this is the legendary death-ground of the deer of Affen Forest. It is said that no mortal may gaze upon it and live, but perhaps this is just an old wives' tale, for you certainly do not feel threatened. Will you, nevertheless, cross to the other side of the valley, to give the stags a wide berth, or will you approach the death-ground?
If the setting of this story were in Tolkien's Middle-Earth then we'd have nothing to fear, since the Elves there aren't mortal. But Titan Elves do fall under the "mortal" territory despite their longer lives.....

Approach the death-ground?
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Approach the death ground, as gut feelings should take precedence over old wives' tales.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

If we are looking upon it, it's either too late or not dangerous, so approach.
Queen of Swords
Prince

It is said that no mortal may gaze upon it and live...
We gazed upon it and are obviously still living (unless the next references say, "psych! your corpse falls to the ground with a gentle thud"), so we might as well go all the way and approach.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

A heron flaps lazily from the pile of bones as you approach. Now that you are close, you see that the stags are not alive, but are amazingly lifelike statues. But your surprise at this discovery is nothing compared with your astonishment when one of them speaks inside your mind! The voice is slow, as if unused for a long time, and the words are rather old-fashioned: "Advance, friend! Be not surprised. Our maker gave us the power of speech - yes, and of movement too, should the occasion require it. We know somewhat of your mission, and applaud it. We may grant you one boon." What will you ask for:

Their company and protection?
A gift?
Information about how to defeat Ishtra?
Information about the best route to Ishtra's pit?
Bodyguard? Loot? Enemy Intelligence? Or direction?
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

We don't know how strong the stags are and when and where they could help us, so asking for their company and protection is out. I feel that information about how to defeat Istra can be found elsewhere, so that option is also not too useful. I also feel that we don't necessarily need to know that the best route to Ishtra's pit, so that particular boon is also not too useful.

My vote is to ask for a gift, as whatever we get can theoretically be used anywhere in this adventure.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I honestly just want to find out what a pile of stag statues even have to give us. In a vacuum I'd take the (stone) animal companions, but companions are dubious in FF-context.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Information on how to defeat. Stag companions seem cool, but yeah, FF companions, not really impressive.
Queen of Swords
Prince

I'm guessing they have to guard the graveyard, so no stag Patronus for us. Ask for a gift.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'd personally go for the information on how to defeat.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Asking for a gift wins by 3-2 votes.
The stags do not speak in response, but a strange force sparks and crackles between their two sets of antlers. Your sight is temporarily blinded by the brightness of the flashes. When you can see again, there is a single antler suspended in mid-air between the stags. You step forward and grasp the antler, whatever force is holding it is released, for it comes easily into your hands. On inspection, it turns out to be hollow, like a horn; and you note particularly that it has twelve branches (note this on your Adventure Sheet). You blow a mighty blast, which echoes around the canyon, before tucking the antler-horn safely in your backpack, silently thanking the majestic creatures, and proceeding on your way up the valet. Add 1 LUCK point and turn to 383.
Congratulations, this is the best option - and arguably the only really substantially useful one. The first choice is a fail (no, not Game Over, just the one definitely bad option). The other 2 don't give anything important.
In the late afternoon, you start to climb a range of hills, which are just as thickly wooded as any other part of Affen Forest. Add 1 LUCK point for getting this far through the forest. The rock of the hills is exposed in places; boulders litter the ground and you pass quite a few small caves. You realize that it would not take much searching to find one large enough to spend the night in. Will you do this or not?
2 LUCK bonus in a row that we don't need. Maybe I should have spent some in the giant combat earlier.

Other than that last option about what boon to ask for, most of the actions thus far have consisted of:

1) Go left or right
2) Do something or nothing
3) How/where to spend the night

Do we want to sleep in a cave tonight?

Adventure Sheet:
Name: Dickolaus Von Scrotunheim
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 15/19
LUCK 10/10
POWER: 18
Equipment: Telessa (sword), Leather Armor, Backpack, Water Flask, Potion of Strength (restores STAMINA to Initial value), Wild Boar's tusks, Antler-horn (12 branches)
Provisions: 6
Queen of Swords
Prince

In the cavern, the peaceful cavern, the Wood Elf sleeps tonight...
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Caves make good makeshift shelters and often have useful loot in these books. Look for a cave to penetrate.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Good things always come in caves. And there are plenty of caves that are actually GOOD to sleep in. So my vote will be to find a cave large enough to spend the night in.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Cave, to avoid freezing to death.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You soon find a suitable cave. You can see far enough in to tell that it is not occupied (at least, not by anything visible), but there are also signs that it has been recently used by some animal. Gnawed bones litter the ground, and there is a lingering, but unfamiliar, animal smell. Will you spend the night in this cave or look elsewhere?
Do we like this sleeping place?
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

The fact that it was used by some animal means that the cave is safe to inhabit in right? My vote is to spend the night in this cave, as I think DVS should be able to up a suitable defense against any of its previous inhabitants.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Other caves might have the same problem, or worse. Might as well stay here.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Stay here, if we have to fight a monster, well, that's the F in FF. One of them, at least.