Moments when a piece of entertainment completely lost you.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

It's not that hard to explain. I hate the characters of Shortpacked for the same reason I hate the characters of Scrubs; the author is trying to pass off boorish, selfish dicks as sympathetic characters.

Come to think, it's also why I want to see the characters of Naruto and Enterprise have painful things happen to them.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I can dig that, Lago.

Although I'll posit that the Naruto and Enterprise are under commercial production constraints that tend to twist to tie an artist's hands in trying to make the characters more sympathetic. Too many cooks.

Of course, those same forces are completely missing from Shortpacked.

-Crissa
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:It's not that hard to explain. I hate the characters of Shortpacked for the same reason I hate the characters of Scrubs; the author is trying to pass off boorish, selfish dicks as sympathetic characters.
I could never get into scrubs. A lot of people say it's really funny, but I found it so... eh. It seemed pretty shitty to me.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

I was never able to get into Scrubs either, the humor just wasn't very funny and there was no other reason to watch the show.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Scrubs is, hands down, the most realistic medical show on television.

-Username17
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

I liked Scrubs a lot for the first five seasons, it should have ended after season six, and why the hell ABC thought it would be a good idea to continue the show with a completely new setting and completely new cast even after the episode entitled My Finale is a complete mystery to me. But overall, I am a fan. The Wizard of Oz episode and the musical episode are both personal favorites.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

FrankTrollman wrote:Scrubs is, hands down, the most realistic medical show on television.

-Username17
Because everyone is jerks, the atmosphere is relatively friendly and not overly dramatized, and the various parts of staff are very cliquey?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Calibron wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:Scrubs is, hands down, the most realistic medical show on television.

-Username17
Because everyone is jerks, the atmosphere is relatively friendly and not overly dramatized, and the various parts of staff are very cliquey?
Also because they usually don't feel the need to pace medical problems to the story arc, so they don't "fudge" the medicine very much. Medical "facts" spouted in Scrubs are more likely to be true than "facts" in House, and way more likely to be true than the ones in Grey's Anatomy or ER.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The pokemon games' insistence on equating trainer power with the number of badges one has, rather than something more logical, like say the level of pokemon you have.

Mt Silver in HG/SS requires you to have 16 badges, and if you try to go there without them, a guard stops you and says it's too dangerous.. it just puts this scenario in my head

Guard: WOAH! You can't go there, it's way to dangerous!
Player: Dangerous!? I have a level 90 something furret following me around! How the fuck could it be dangerous!? Furret! Headbutt the wall!
Furret: "Murfle!" *headbutts the wall*
Player: Again! *Furret does so* Again! *Furret does so, there is now a hole in the wall big enough to walk through* You ok there, Furret?
Furret: "Murfle!"
Player: Alright! *walk through wall that Furret just created and head to mt silver*
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

You don't get to race in Monte Carlo without a few races under your belt, no matter your car's make.

-Crissa
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

that's an event, not a major geological fixture
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

It's not like they'll let you climb the Matterhorn without climbing something else, first.

-Crissa
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

huh, maybe I just don't understand the whole "protect the stupid from themselves" thing.

Also, again, your analogy is false. You get to the area which allows you to enter Mt. Silver about the same time as you get to the Elite Four, so you've been through 8 gyms, and several mountains already, not to mention taking down a terrorist organization. It's more like telling an Italian mountaineer that he can't climb the Matterhorn because he hasn't graduated from an American college.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Well, you don't get to count climbing Pike's Peak or Disney's Matterhorn.

And originally, that particular rule was created to save the locals time and effort from rescuing your ass or dealing with the fallout of you failing.

-Crissa
Last edited by Crissa on Thu May 13, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

There's a great story by Zelazny about climbing the nigh-unclimbable mountain which gives a damned good reason why the stupid shouldn't be allowed to be stupid. I'll have to dig it up and quote it for Prak.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

The Human Centipede lost me from the start.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Crissa wrote:Well, you don't get to count climbing Pike's Peak or Disney's Matterhorn.

And originally, that particular rule was created to save the locals time and effort from rescuing your ass or dealing with the fallout of you failing.

-Crissa
and that applies to my hypothetical analogy of an Italian mountaineer how?

edit: so, when you get to Kanto in SS/HG, the trainers in various areas are the same kinds you'd encounter in one of the kanto games, but their pokemon are of a level commensurate with where you're at in the game, so 40-something and beyond.

That's fine, even if the wild pokemon are the standard level for whatever the area is (so 3-7 or whatever in Viridian forest), it's all fine really.

...until you get to a bug trainer who has a level 52 fucking METAPOD!

I don't even understand npc trainers with level 11 metapods, so why the fuck would you keep it unevolved and learning no moves for 42 levels?
Last edited by Prak on Sat May 15, 2010 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Spider-Man guilt-tripped Mary Jane into agreeing to let the Devil abort her baby.

I know this was pointed out several times for several years, but we must never forget Spider-Man's most unbelievable sacrifice in the history of the character. :hatin:
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Not that I've seen it, but I had to share it.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... 982/-1/RSS

))<<>>((
endersdouble
Journeyman

Post by endersdouble »

Gelare wrote:I liked Scrubs a lot for the first five seasons, it should have ended after season six, and why the hell ABC thought it would be a good idea to continue the show with a completely new setting and completely new cast even after the episode entitled My Finale is a complete mystery to me. But overall, I am a fan. The Wizard of Oz episode and the musical episode are both personal favorites.
I love Scrubs, but can't quite understand why everyone loves J.D.'s fantasies but condemns Family Guy's manatee jokes. They're not functionally different.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Spider-Man guilt-tripped Mary Jane into agreeing to let the Devil abort her baby.

I know this was pointed out several times for several years, but we must never forget Spider-Man's most unbelievable sacrifice in the history of the character. :hatin:
what? seriously? what the fuck are they doing with spiderman these days?
Gelare
Knight-Baron

Post by Gelare »

endersdouble wrote:I love Scrubs, but can't quite understand why everyone loves J.D.'s fantasies but condemns Family Guy's manatee jokes. They're not functionally different.
I much preferred J.D.'s fantasies earlier in the show when they actually had some relation to what was actually going on (the Kelso/Cox lightsaber fight in Season 1 was pretty good). Later on they just become total non sequiturs, which is decidedly meh.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Prak_Anima wrote:
Lago PARANOIA wrote:Spider-Man guilt-tripped Mary Jane into agreeing to let the Devil abort her baby.

what? seriously? what the fuck are they doing with spiderman these days?
The short answer is that J. Michael Straczynski is the most over rated author in fandom. That everything he writes is a shallow retread of the same shitty characters, the same poorly conceived time loops, and the same "OMG Deal With The DEVIL!" false moral choice.

The long answer is that he wrote two Spiderman arcs that competed in overall shittiness to the point where they eclipse every single shitty thing that has ever happened in Spiderman under anyone's watch. And I do include Attack of the Clones. The first is "Sins of the Past." In this one it turns out that Osbourne (the elder) raped Gwen Stacy and she liked it and ran away to Europe and had a couple of super babies before Osbourne killed her. And those kids became adults in less than the normally allotted time for no damn reason and one of them is a hot chick that turns into a grey and decidedly male goblin. It goes down hill from there. The other one is the One More Day saga. It's so bad that I can't even really talk about it coherently, so I'm just going to bust out the Something Positive cartoon that explicitly mocks it:

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

What the fuck? Babylon 5 was good, why the fuck do his comics seem such shit?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

One More Day was Joe Quesada's thing. Straczynski got a directive from Quesada, and they reportedly had quite the argument over it.

The problem is that the comics have been taken over by the fanboys and their nostalgia. Joe Quesada wants a Spider-Man who is more like the Spider-Man he grew up reading about. It's the same reason Geoff Johns has regressed Green Lantern, Flash, the Legion of Super-Heroes, Hawkman, Aquaman and others.