General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Caid
NPC

Post by Caid »

So is the new Neverwinter Nights the final destination for 4e?
Ferret
Knight

Post by Ferret »

TOZ wrote:Does this sound like Pathfinder's "backwards compatibility" promise to anyone else?
No. This sounds like an near-exact copy of the Magic:The Gathering approach to games.

An ever evolving, rolling window of "approved" content with older rules being depreciated in favor of the newest hottest thing. It's never a "new edition" except that it is in all but name.

Just remember to buy this season's new Set..er...books!
sake
Knight

Post by sake »

Caid wrote:So is the new Neverwinter Nights the final destination for 4e?
Not quite the type of game I was hoping for but at least it's not a goddamn mmorpg.

Worst Outcome-It's a festering pile of Diablo wannabe shit like the Demon Stone game was.

Best Outcome: It will be as if Left 4 Dead and those old Capcom D&D games made sweet love down by the fire and brought forth a shining christ-like co-op game that brings about an age of world peace and free oral sex for all.

Oh wait... it's Atari and Cryptic Studios... I take it back, it'll actually be worse than Demon Stone even.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Psychic Robot wrote: Every revision we made is meant to work with the material already in print. You will be able to take a flying monster from the Monster Manual, for instance, and use it with the slimmed-down rules for flight without needing to change anything in the monster’s stat block.
Quoting from your quote...

The problem is that they've errata'd every monster's stat block in MM1, so that's not a very accurate statement is it?
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Yawn. ANOTHER Neverwinter game. No thank you.
malak
Master

Post by malak »

TheFlatline wrote:
Don't worry, it is a new series that has nothing in common with the old games except Atari having a D&D license. And anyway, it's in 4E time, when the Forgotten Realms were raped by the spellplague.
MfA
Knight-Baron

Post by MfA »

It would be nice to get another NWN game with a decent engine and decently abstracted game code.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

If 4E D&D can actually hold out until 2011 when this game comes out (and the game is good) then it'll be quite a boon to the edition and roleplaying in general.

Atari has done some decent games in the recent past, so I'm willing to give them a chance.

Actually, except for the Skill Challenge thing (which would probably be completely unportable without doing Frank's simple fix) most of the mechanics in 4E should be able to be seamlessly ported over. So unlike NWN1 and 2, which gives an overall inaccurate impression of the play experience (seriously, monks being the best DPR class?), we'll probably get a game very close to what it's like to play on the tabletop.

I wonder if this is how Wizards is going to balance things in the future, to see which builds are overperforming on the game. :awesome:
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
sake
Knight

Post by sake »

Lago PARANOIA wrote: Actually, except for the Skill Challenge thing (which would probably be completely unportable without doing Frank's simple fix) most of the mechanics in 4E should be able to be seamlessly ported over. So unlike NWN1 and 2, which gives an overall inaccurate impression of the play experience (seriously, monks being the best DPR class?), we'll probably get a game very close to what it's like to play on the tabletop.
What I've heard of Neverwinter is that it's a Diablo/Guantlet/DemonStone like co-op rpg with five preset characters to chose from, not a full blown turn based thing like the old Neverwinter Nights games. So 4E's mechanics will have shit all to do with the actual game besides power names and the fact that they happen to be based on the Essential classes + an archer Ranger.
Last edited by sake on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caid
NPC

Post by Caid »

Maybe they'll pitch NWN3 (for lack of better title) as the replacement for the virtual tabletop they promised but never delivered.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

That's hysterical. They build an RPG from the ground up to be a great turn based computer RPG...and the latest NWN will instead be an action hacker?

Can't make this stuff up.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
sake
Knight

Post by sake »

Okay,I don't what to expect from this thing, aside from being a giant cluster fuck... I just read an interview http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/neverwin ... e=previews about the game where they say this:
we're using actual time increments, where at will means usable at all times, a once per encounter is a power designed to be used once every encounter, and dailies are used once every few hours.

Even... if they don't mean real time hours... jesus fucking christ, seriously?
Last edited by sake on Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Fucking comments are hilarious.
MfA
Knight-Baron

Post by MfA »

They really should just ditch the studio name ... they are only known as the studio who pumps and dumps MMOs at this point.
Last edited by MfA on Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Hmm. I wonder how I could corner Jack... I haven't talked with him in awhile.

STO was pretty playable, but they're sitting on a bug that makes 'explore' missions bork for multiplayer right now.

-Crissa
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Dayum, those comments ARE brutal. I don't think I've ever seen a preview so overridingly negative before.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

malak wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:
Don't worry, it is a new series that has nothing in common with the old games except Atari having a D&D license. And anyway, it's in 4E time, when the Forgotten Realms were raped by the spellplague.
I don't care if it's the greatest edition of D&D ever, with plots that make hardened veterans weep with emotional joy, IT'S ANOTHER FUCKING GAME IN NEVERWINTER.

I won't even say "it's another fucking Forgotten Realms game" because I've pretty much accepted that *all* D&D games are Forgotten Realms after DDO showed that Eberron was a clusterfuck.

There's many different D&D settings out there, and an entire fucking continent with 20 years of established history in Forgotten Realms, and they come back... AGAIN... to Neverwinter.

Which tells me one thing. The devs don't know fuck-all about the setting they're working in, or are artistically soulless.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

It could be worse; you could be playing Elminster Nights where you're a scantily-clad apprentice for the eponymous wizard. If you pick a male character at Chargen you get permanently polymorphed into a female one. Quests involve apply ointment and tinctures to Elminster's penis and also doing elven lesbians while he watches.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:It could be worse; you could be playing Elminster Nights where you're a scantily-clad apprentice for the eponymous wizard. If you pick a male character at Chargen you get permanently polymorphed into a female one. Quests involve apply ointment and tinctures to Elminster's penis and also doing elven lesbians while he watches.
Or there's another option ripped straight from the first Elminster book:

El polymorphs himself into a chick to get the deep dicking he hasn't had in hundreds of years since he was forcibly changed into a chick to learn magic.

I actually read the first two Elminster books. The third one sucked so bad I quit a third of the way through and never read another Forgotten Realms book again.
malak
Master

Post by malak »

TheFlatline wrote: I don't care if it's the greatest edition of D&D ever, with plots that make hardened veterans weep with emotional joy, IT'S ANOTHER FUCKING GAME IN NEVERWINTER.

I won't even say "it's another fucking Forgotten Realms game" because I've pretty much accepted that *all* D&D games are Forgotten Realms after DDO showed that Eberron was a clusterfuck.

There's many different D&D settings out there, and an entire fucking continent with 20 years of established history in Forgotten Realms, and they come back... AGAIN... to Neverwinter.

Which tells me one thing. The devs don't know fuck-all about the setting they're working in, or are artistically soulless.
Or they are just taking advantage of the fact that Neverwinter has a pretty good brand recognition even with computer gamers who don't know what D&D is.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

The expansions of Neverwinter dont even play in Neverwinter...
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Personally, my D&D CRPG game opinion is:

"Fuck you! It's turn based, stop making me target Glitterdusts and stinking clouds with a 3 second cast time on moving enemies in real time you asshats!"
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
malak
Master

Post by malak »

Kaelik wrote:Personally, my D&D CRPG game opinion is:

"Fuck you! It's turn based, stop making me target Glitterdusts and stinking clouds with a 3 second cast time on moving enemies in real time you asshats!"
Temple of Elemental Evil to the rescue...
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

TheFlatline wrote:I won't even say "it's another fucking Forgotten Realms game" because I've pretty much accepted that *all* D&D games are Forgotten Realms after DDO showed that Eberron was a clusterfuck.
Fail. DDO is a clusterfuck for many reasons. Many of which had to do with Atari, when they were still in charge of it. However the Eberron setting is not one of those reasons.

Funny how they wait until 4.Fail is dead to make a game for it though.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.