Zero Buzz on 5E...Is It Dead Out The Gate?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Previn
Knight-Baron

Post by Previn »

Covent wrote:
Previn wrote:@Covent

The only things you have correct are 3 where it concerns players and 4. The rest is wrong, either factually, or conceptually.
Could you explain please? I am trying to parse the basic rules so as to allow for easier assimilation of the 5th Ed PHB and would like to know what I have done wrong.
No.

First because it's pretty glaringly obvious that you've given only the barest look over the rules. You haven't accounted for spells or class features, you're not accounting for anything other than 2 idiots in featureless plain with so many bad assumptions tat I can't even be bothered to go into it. I'm not here to read you the already foolishly simple 5e starter rules.

Second because your post as horribly formatted, making it difficult to follow and seemed to be driven toward a forgone conclusion of the expected outcome. If you want help, you're going to need to put in more effort first.
Covent
Master

Post by Covent »

Previn wrote:
Covent wrote:
Previn wrote:@Covent

The only things you have correct are 3 where it concerns players and 4. The rest is wrong, either factually, or conceptually.
Could you explain please? I am trying to parse the basic rules so as to allow for easier assimilation of the 5th Ed PHB and would like to know what I have done wrong.
No.

First because it's pretty glaringly obvious that you've given only the barest look over the rules. You haven't accounted for spells or class features, you're not accounting for anything other than 2 idiots in featureless plain with so many bad assumptions tat I can't even be bothered to go into it. I'm not here to read you the already foolishly simple 5e starter rules.

Second because your post as horribly formatted, making it difficult to follow and seemed to be driven toward a forgone conclusion of the expected outcome. If you want help, you're going to need to put in more effort first.
First, FUCK YOU.

With that out of the way, FUCK YOU FIGHTERS CANNOT CAST SPELLS.

What class features have I missed FROM FIGHTER?

What assumptions are bad?

I am trying to like this abomination, however basic math seems to say "Herp-Derp, Caster still better Fighter go suck cocks".

Now if you want to take the giant raging dick of Mearls +5 out of your mouth and explain why I am wrong rather than "Herp-Derp wrong cause I said so and I don't have to prove it." I will listen, otherwise FUCK YOU SHUT UP.

kthxbye
Maxus wrote:Being wrong is something that rightly should be celebrated, because now you have a chance to correct and then you'll be better than you were five minutes ago. Perfection is a hollow shell, but perfectibility is something that is to be treasured.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

To be fair, there are people who totally play "Magic artifact carried by some dude" if it was explicitly an option.

In fact, now I almost want to take the Intelligent Item rules and Weapons of Legacy and stuff like the "sac gold to improve weapon" feat from BoED, and make a class where you play a magic item and are carried by some dude.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Covent
Master

Post by Covent »

Prak_Anima wrote:To be fair, there are people who totally play "Magic artifact carried by some dude" if it was explicitly an option.

In fact, now I almost want to take the Intelligent Item rules and Weapons of Legacy and stuff like the "sac gold to improve weapon" feat from BoED, and make a class where you play a magic item and are carried by some dude.
I can agree. It is not to my taste, however I can see some people liking it. Making it the default would be a mistake in my opinion. Making it an option would be wonderful.
Maxus wrote:Being wrong is something that rightly should be celebrated, because now you have a chance to correct and then you'll be better than you were five minutes ago. Perfection is a hollow shell, but perfectibility is something that is to be treasured.
Previn
Knight-Baron

Post by Previn »

Covent wrote:With that out of the way, FUCK YOU FIGHTERS CANNOT CAST SPELLS.
Yeah, and it's impossible to cast spells on them isn't it? Or for casters to wear armor. The fact that you assumed fighters only is another giant glaring issue with your 'example.'
What class features have I missed FROM FIGHTER?

Go read it. Seriously, you clearly didn't read even the very first class feature of the fighter.
What assumptions are bad?
Pretty much all of them, because you clearly didn't read jack. You glanced at some sections, and started throwing numbers around like a baboon.
I am trying to like this abomination, however basic math seems to say "Herp-Derp, Caster still better Fighter go suck cocks".

Now if you want to take the giant raging dick of Mearls +5 out of your mouth and explain why I am wrong rather than "Herp-Derp wrong cause I said so and I don't have to prove it." I will listen, otherwise FUCK YOU SHUT UP.

kthxbye
How about you shut up and read it, and then come back with an intelligent post rather than demanding we read it for you, read your mind and then spoon feed you only the parts you want to reach a conclusion that you clearly are intent on reaching.
Last edited by Previn on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Prak_Anima wrote:To be fair, there are people who totally play "Magic artifact carried by some dude" if it was explicitly an option.

There is such an game. I think its an d100 System.
I want to call it Hyper...something....
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

Previn wrote:How about you shut up and read it, and then come back with an intelligent post rather than demanding we read it for you, read your mind and then spoon feed you only the parts you want to reach a conclusion that you clearly are intent on reaching.
We? Are you trying to "back up" your argument by changing to a collective plural?
Previn
Knight-Baron

Post by Previn »

zugschef wrote:
Previn wrote:How about you shut up and read it, and then come back with an intelligent post rather than demanding we read it for you, read your mind and then spoon feed you only the parts you want to reach a conclusion that you clearly are intent on reaching.
We? Are you trying to "back up" your argument by changing to a collective plural?
Seriously?
Mord
Knight-Baron

Post by Mord »

I'd be a lot more impressed with Previn's tantrum if he provided some specifics about why Covent is wrong.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Mord wrote:I'd be a lot more impressed with Previn's tantrum if he provided some specifics about why Covent is wrong.
Covent's tirade is "not even wrong." He's comparing fighters with non-magical equipment beating on each other, but that is not a thing you are going to see at high level. It's like if you wrote up a battle royale between high level wizards without their spell books fighting with staves. It doesn't really matter whether your math checks out, it's an irrelevant edge case.

The actually relevant question is what high level fighters with level appropriate equipment look like beating on high level monsters. And while the answer to that is in fact both bogus and sad, it has jack fuck all to do with the stuff Covent was rambling about.

-Username17
Previn
Knight-Baron

Post by Previn »

Mord wrote:I'd be a lot more impressed with Previn's tantrum if he provided some specifics about why Covent is wrong.
The very first class feature of all 1st level fighters can grant them +1 to AC when wearing armor. That means that the very first supposition of 20 AC is the max, is wrong. That is effectively not reading anything. Once, might be an overlook but...

His second example... is again dis-proven by the very first fighter ability at level 1. It's actually the very first mechanical thing of the very first fighter ability that they get at level 1.

See, I actually started to respond to him item by item, but at the 4th point, he started going into crazy land. From points 5 on, it's nothing but assumptions and bad math. It is so not worth responding to from that point that I don't even want to go into it, because it is that depressing to common sense, on top of the fact that he hasn't done even the most basic reading of the rules.

Now, if you think I was throwing a tantrum? Compared to what he posted?

:rofl:
Covent
Master

Post by Covent »

Previn wrote:
The very first class feature of all 1st level fighters can grant them +1 to AC when wearing armor. That means that the very first supposition of 20 AC is the max, is wrong. That is effectively not reading anything. Once, might be an overlook but...

His second example... is again dis-proven by the very first fighter ability at level 1. It's actually the very first mechanical thing of the very first fighter ability that they get at level 1.

See, I actually started to respond to him item by item, but at the 4th point, he started going into crazy land. From points 5 on, it's nothing but assumptions and bad math. It is so not worth responding to from that point that I don't even want to go into it, because it is that depressing to common sense, on top of the fact that he hasn't done even the most basic reading of the rules.

Now, if you think I was throwing a tantrum? Compared to what he posted?

:rofl:
Holy Crap.

The Fighter gets fighting style, the options do include the defense style which gives +1 AC but to take that you have to give up either +2 to hit with ranged, +2 damage with sword/board, +1 average damage with great sword, or being able to hand out disadvantage.

I mentioned Fighting style in my first post.

What other class ability grants AC?

Also how the hell does that invalidate my argument?

Both Frank and Prak had a better Tack with the whole "you did not include magic weapons". This is valid and I admit may completely change all of my conclusions, however IT IS NOT MENTIONED IN THE BASIC DOCUMENT.

Fighter class features are as follow:

Fighting Style
Second Wind
Action Surge
Martial Archetype
Ability Score Improvement
Extra Attack
Indomitable (SAVES NOT AC)

The champion martial archetype offers:
Improved critical
Remarkable Athlete
Additional Fighting style
Superior Critical
Survivor.

The only AC gain is from fighting style and is a total of a +1.

So I guess if you were a God and a fighter and a using Studded Leather with a shield and a 30 dex you could have a 25!

Holy crap that shows I am an idiot. Good thing for you I did not include AC ranges in my first post.

I mean really?

You know what screw it.

My basic point is that HP and defenses seem to rise faster than Offense even when NOVA'ING.

However magic items may change this.

Now do you or anyone else have a link to where there is any hard data on how magic items work in 5th?

It seems to make up the difference they would have to be very similar to the 3.5 paradigm where christmas tree of GTFO.

Lets not even mention that these HP and AC assumptions are probably low due to Special snowflake monster rules!

So to sum up.

Frank and Prak have valid points.

You are nitpicking and still saying "Na-ah cause I said so".

So please please provide that detailed rebuttal or shut the hell up you sanctimonious twit.

As to your whole "Well the Cleric or Wizard could use their class features to let you keep up!"

NO. Being a resource sponge is bad. Its worse in 5th where casters have fewer spells.

Fighter needs to be a valid contributing member of the party on his own at all levels or we have the 3.5 system where at higher levels you have the wizard/cleric/druid and his butlers.

This is bad design.

I also said I was not going to do an entire review until after the PHB came out because there might be large pieces missing. If the 5th designers said "Lets use magic items as we did in 3.5! Christmas tree go!" then it could make up these numbers and I would comment on it then. But right now there is no data in the basic document about this!

I was just asking for some basic logic checks and you supplied nothing. You were also an ass about it so well you got treated like an ass.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Covent, there's one point I need to raise.

We know for certain that the monsters are all going to run on special snowflake Exception-Based-Design logic, because it's Mearls and what he showed us in the playtests. So the analysis of fighters not being able to murder each other in a reasonable amount of time doesn't matter because you aren't supposed to use PC classes to generate enemies, you're supposed to do one of Mearl's half-assed NPC-PC abominations.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Covent
Master

Post by Covent »

CapnTthePirateG wrote:Covent, there's one point I need to raise.

We know for certain that the monsters are all going to run on special snowflake Exception-Based-Design logic, because it's Mearls and what he showed us in the playtests. So the analysis of fighters not being able to murder each other in a reasonable amount of time doesn't matter because you aren't supposed to use PC classes to generate enemies, you're supposed to do one of Mearl's half-assed NPC-PC abominations.
*nod*

From what I have read this seems to be correct, however I have no solid data as the monster manual is not available.

I just find it unlikely that a level appropriate threat will have lower defenses and a smaller HP pool than a Level X PC. From the very limited amount I have seen of monsters the monsters seem to have higher not lower defenses and HP.

They also seem to have offenses as good or better than a PC's.

In short I feel that using PC stats shows it as less of a problem and with Monster stats available it will only get worse.

I do fully admit you are correct however about monster creation.

My point is simply that Monster/NPC HP/AC will be most likely equal to or greater than a PC's at that level. This means Martials degrading in value is a completely valid problem, that could have been fixed with a very little math.

All I have done is read the 5th ed basic PDF and some google and this jumped right out at me.

Sorry to rant as I have said you are correct,
Previn
Knight-Baron

Post by Previn »

Covent wrote: The Fighter gets fighting style, the options do include the defense style which gives +1 AC but to take that you have to give up either +2 to hit with ranged, +2 damage with sword/board, +1 average damage with great sword, or being able to hand out disadvantage.
And yet, you apparently didn't because your first 2 points were factually wrong if you had read them. Seriously you screwed up, just admit it. Being able to claim in hindsight that you didn't doesn't work.
Also how the hell does that invalidate my argument?
What argument? You were wrong on points 1 and 2, which should have been blatantly obvious. 3 and 4 were correct, even if 4 is uncommon since 18s have to be gotten with a roll in 5e. 5 is an assumption about starting ACs (which is also wrong), 6.. isn’t anything, 7 is mathematically wrong, 8 is the same as 6 in terms of it’s not a question or a point, 10 might be right, but 11 is full on crazy land because you don’t have remotely enough information to go on, and you took a bunch of crazy assumptions and bad math to get to that point.

Your argument isn’t just invalid, it would be dangerous to address it because people might try to use it as an example if we gave it credit for possibly being something to discuss.
So I guess if you were a God and a fighter and a using Studded Leather with a shield and a 30 dex you could have a 25!
Again, you're showing that you haven't read the rules beyond the bare minimum to get to the outcome you desire. But you know what, I'll go into it, because apparently some people think that you might have a valid point, when in fact you shouldn't be posting, you should be reading the rules.

Fighter plate, shield, style bonus 21.

Wizard, dex 16, Mage Armor, Shield spell. AC 21. With a 20 dex, 23.

Cleric, Plate, shield, Shield of Faith, 22 AC. Shield of Faith by the way can be applied to anyone, so any AC you find, you can increase by 2 if you have a cleric around.

Which incidentally puts your fighter, with a plate and a shield, along with the style bonus at 23 AC, and the mage at 23 or 25.

So, we totally haven't even moved out of 1st level yet barring the cost plate. 20 AC was very clearly not the limit.
Holy crap that shows I am an idiot. Good thing for you I did not include AC ranges in my first post.
Indeed it is good you did not because you clearly don't know what you're doing. Incidentally, 5e monsters from 1st to 4th level have ACs that range from 8 to 18 as shown in the 5e LoCS adventure, so you’re wrong there too.
My basic point is that HP and defenses seem to rise faster than Offense even when NOVA'ING.

However magic items may change this.
As could spells, and proper tactics, more options and feats, all of which we already know are coming, or already have in the case of spells. Or you know, the fact there there is more than just hill dwarf fighters with natural 18 roll in the game. Basically trying to extrapolate anything when you have only a part of the rules, no samples of challenges, haven’t read the rules, and can’t apply them correctly if you have makes you a waste of bandwidth.
So please please provide that detailed rebuttal or shut the hell up you sanctimonious twit.

As to your whole "Well the Cleric or Wizard could use their class features to let you keep up!"

NO. Being a resource sponge is bad. Its worse in 5th where casters have fewer spells.
Your comment on casters also shows that you haven’t read anything about the casters, just glanced at the numbers. Oh, but I should explain why you’re wrong right? No, no I shouldn’t. You should go read the damned rules and then come back and make a post that’s not wrong 9 ways from Sunday. If you do that, then we can have a discussion. I’m not here to do basic reading, math and reasoning for every schmoe on the internet who can’t be bothered themselves.

You’re on my ignore list.
Covent
Master

Post by Covent »

Previn wrote:Basically trying to extrapolate anything when you have only a part of the rules, no samples of challenges, haven’t read the rules, and can’t apply them correctly if you have makes you a waste of bandwidth.
I know I am on your ignore list now, however I have to say you have finally in your last post provided some decent info.

I also have to admit that your above quote is true. With no complete rules or sample challenges there is no way to really rate the game.

That is why I said a full review would wait until after the books came out.

Also, to be very very clear, I was incorrect about 20 AC being the max! This makes the problem worse not better.

I hope the complete rules fix or address this in some way, yet I am currently not hopeful.

Anyway, I will take my lumps for the fact that my first post was basically a stream of thought as I looked at numbers, and I was incorrect in places.

You are still a dick.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Covent wrote:

*nod*

From what I have read this seems to be correct, however I have no solid data as the monster manual is not available.

I just find it unlikely that a level appropriate threat will have lower defenses and a smaller HP pool than a Level X PC. From the very limited amount I have seen of monsters the monsters seem to have higher not lower defenses and HP.

Uh... No.
http://diehardgamefan.com/wp-content/up ... G_1137.jpg

Going by the encounter builder table they put up sometime back (that acts a vague guideline with a lot of holes)
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx ... l/20140707

a level 1 party should deal with an xp budget of 50 for a 'moderate' encounter , or 100 for a challenging encounter.

The hobgoblin, way, way back on page 23 of this thread, is a 100 xp for exactly 1. Thats right: a level 1 party of 4 PCs (or 5, not sure what their default assumption is) should face exactly 1 hobgoblin for a challenging fight. 2 hobgoblins is beyond the scope of anything a level 1 party should ever face (seriously, hard is 150 xp),

A 'better' (or rather, let us say 'expected') challenging encounter for a level 1 party is seriously 4 cultists (from that link). Who are AC 12, 9 hp, and attack at +3 for 1d6+1 damage (melee only). Which is to say using point buy or array, hit on 7+ (70%) , often one shot kill, and only hit a reasonably armored adventurer 25% of the time. Maybe 40-45% for wizards/rogues.

Now, this tells me their encounter design is fucked in the head from the start, since 1 hobgob isn't even vaguely a challenge for a party (though getting the hit will be annoying), but the actual level 1 challenging fights by the table are fucking jokes.

And just looking over the link again, the hobgoblins AC of 18 once again stands out as severely abnormal. But they're seriously thinking that 4 hobgoblins constitute a challenging fight for a level 5 party, and a single fireball just ends it. :bash:

I don't even know what to tell you. The evil mage is supposedly a very hard fight for a level 2 party (if he has a single commoner attached), but the most he can do is hold person, or strip off hit points with magic missile. But he's mostly a level 4 wizard, but uses different hit dice, but ends up with roughly the same number of hit points as a decently built level 4 PC (8+3d6+6).
But again, from a monster design perspective its a joke, since the fighter archer build seriously hits him on a 5+, and drops probably 15 points of damage on him turn 1. (+7 to hit vs AC fucking 12, action surge for two attacks). So realistically he's a trap monster that will strip off ~10 hp each time he gets an action, and depending on how the initiative dice fall, that should be once or even never. The best it can do is magic missile, move, and bonus action: misty step for a 30' teleport and lead the party into another encounter because as designed, the evil mage does jackshit.

And going back to the idea that monsters have better numbers, lets look at the doppelgänger. AC 14, 52 hp, 2 attacks at +6 for 7 each. And surprise attack for a bonus +10 damage on the first round of combat, if it surprises. Now, this is worded differently from sneak attack (or course), so I think the assumption is it can get this bonus damage for both attacks, assuming surprising and hitting. But realistically, after the first round, this guy has +3 to hit and damage over those fucking cultists which are 25 xp compared to 700. Which, by the table is... seriously something the party shouldn't be facing at all until level 6. At which point, even without magic weapons, the great sword fighter says 'Attack! Extra attack! Action surge: bonus attack!' and rolls at +8 (fighter, so 2 stat ups already at level 6, so 20 str), hitting on 6+, so good odds for somewhere around 36 damage. At which point another party member pokes it with something and it falls over dead. And once again, this was 700 xp out of a 750 xp 'hard' encounter for a level 6 party which is effectively soloed by one guy in a single round.

The encounter design is fucking horrible toliet paper, where the main purpose (if there is any at all) is for the fucking monsters to jump you and strip off a chunk of healing. (Which comes out of each players hit die budget, mundane potions of healing, and then cleric spells or channel divinity (the latter of which recharges on short rests, so it isn't even a real cost, though it is often worthless since it can only heal someone to half-hp).

Also, unrelated bonus stupid:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx ... orningstar
DDI... attempt #2.
Last edited by Voss on Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Covent
Master

Post by Covent »

Voss wrote:
Covent wrote:

*nod*

Uh... No.
http://diehardgamefan.com/wp-content/up ... G_1137.jpg

Going by the encounter builder table they put up sometime back (that acts a vague guideline with a lot of holes)
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx ... l/20140707

a level 1 party should deal with an xp budget of 50 for a 'moderate' encounter , or 100 for a challenging encounter.

The hobgoblin, way, way back on page 23 of this thread, is a 100 xp for exactly 1. Thats right: a level 1 party of 4 PCs (or 5, not sure what their default assumption is) should face exactly 1 hobgoblin for a challenging fight. 2 hobgoblins is beyond the scope of anything a level 1 party should ever face (seriously, hard is 150 xp),

Now, this tells me their encounter design is fucked in the head from the start, since 1 hobgob isn't even vaguely a challenge for a party (though getting the hit will be annoying), but the actual level 1 challenging fights by the table are fucking jokes.

And just looking over the link again, the hobgoblins AC of 18 once again stands out as severely abnormal. But they're seriously thinking that 4 hobgoblins constitute a challenging fight for a level 5 party, and a single fireball just ends it. :bash:

I don't even know what to tell you. The evil mage is supposedly a very hard fight for a level 2 party (if he has a single commoner attached), but the most he can do is hold person, or strip off hit points with magic missile. But he's mostly a level 4 wizard, but uses different hit dice, but ends up with roughly the same number of hit points as a decently built level 4 PC (8+3d6+6).
But again, from a monster design perspective its a joke, since the fighter archer build seriously hits him on a 5+, and drops probably 15 points of damage on him turn 1. (+7 to hit vs AC fucking 12, action surge for two attacks). So realistically he's a trap monster that will strip off ~10 hp each time he gets an action, and depending on how the initiative dice fall, that should be once or even never. The best it can do is magic missile, move, and bonus action: misty step for a 30' teleport and lead the party into another encounter because as designed, the evil mage does jackshit.

And going back to the idea that monsters have better numbers, lets look at the doppelgänger. AC 14, 52 hp, 2 attacks at +6 for 7 each. And surprise attack for a bonus +10 damage on the first round of combat, if it surprises. Now, this is worded differently from sneak attack (or course), so I think the assumption is it can get this bonus damage for both attacks, assuming surprising and hitting. But realistically, after the first round, this guy has +3 to hit and damage over those fucking cultists which are 25 xp compared to 700. Which, by the table is... seriously something the party shouldn't be facing at all until level 6. At which point, even without magic weapons, the great sword fighter says 'Attack! Extra attack! Action surge: bonus attack!' and rolls at +8 (fighter, so 2 stat ups already at level 6, so 20 str), hitting on 6+, so good odds for somewhere around 36 damage. At which point another party member pokes it with something and it falls over dead. And once again, this was 700 xp out of a 750 xp 'hard' encounter for a level 6 party which is effectively soloed by one guy in a single round.

The encounter design is fucking horrible toliet paper, where the main purpose (if there is any at all) is for the fucking monsters to jump you and strip off a chunk of healing. (Which comes out of each players hit die budget, mundane potions of healing, and then cleric spells or channel divinity (the latter of which recharges on short rests, so it isn't even a real cost, though it is often worthless since it can only heal someone to half-hp).

Also, unrelated bonus stupid:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx ... orningstar
DDI... attempt #2.
Thank you!

This does show a vastly different picture, which means I was incorrect before.

I guess that monsters will be such a completely different system that PC stats will not help at all for calculating base lines.

My apologies for wasting posts and time up until this point then.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Oh, yeh. Low level parties destroying high level monsters is going to be fun.

Edit: Also that Trapdoor Technologies is a no-previous-experience startup that doesn't even have a fucking web page to it's name. Probably still better than WotC/D&D doing it.
Last edited by tussock on Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Well, no. The system is the same. They have abilities that have bullshit differences for no reason, but they work out to roughly the same effects. The evil mage and flame skull have wildly different hit dice (which are also different than a wizards hit dice) but because of the way they constructed the monsters, it works out to roughly the same (for the appropriate level of PC wizard). Meanwhile the surprise attack and the hobgoblins group attack to separate (more limited) bits from sneak attack, but most of the base mechanics are there. DCs have the same construction, and spells are clearly going to be an overlap.

The part that is missing is where the AC , Hit die and stat numbers come from, as well as the bullshit abilities like bugbears doing an extra die of damage. (though again, the latter puts him at roughly the same average damage as a level appropriate guy with a greatsword, because the bugbear's strength sucks)

It really reads like the stats and whatnot are used to justify the decisions that were already made. A flame skull has 9 hit dice, but its proficiency bonuses are clearly +2. In fact all the proficiency bonuses are +2, except bugbears have another +2 to hide, and dopplegangers have another +2 to deception. The evil mage even has the wizard's proficiency bonus to saving throws. But does't have skills from a background, and nothing gains any additional bonuses from a higher level or hit dice, the +2 is even applied to attacks as if they were first level characters. Which again, makes the numbers feel artificial- the bugbear has a 14 strength not because that is how strong it is, but because they wanted the bugbear to have a total +4 to hit, but wanted it to feel like more a threat at 200 xp a piece, so bumped the damage up artificially.

And fuck them for having relevant information fall over to the next page.
tussock wrote:Oh, yeh. Low level parties destroying high level monsters is going to be fun.
Or the TPKs that result when a DM gets frustrated with the absolutely shitty guidelines when encounter after encounter which are supposed to be challenging or hard turn out to be absolute cakewalks as written, so he pulls shit out of his ass an absolutely destroys the party.

Though, whoops, I did read the table wrong. The XP budget is per character. So an appropriate challenging level 1 encounter would be 4 hobgoblins for 4 PCs, or 16 cultists. So ignore some (but not all of my ranting).

A 'hard' level 1 fight for 4 PCs would be a mage, a bugbear and 8 cultists. But I'm still not convinced that is actually challenging, since nuking down one of the real threats in a single turn should be damn easy, and then the other should probably drop the following round. After that clean up is a joke, barring RNG shenanigans. The key thing is not letting the bugbear anywhere near the squishy members of the party, because with lower AC and HP, its really easy to one-shot them. But that threat goes away quickly past level 1.
Last edited by Voss on Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

4 Hobgoblins will rip a 1st level party in half. Their two dice of bonus flanking damage is intense.

-Username17
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

FrankTrollman wrote:4 Hobgoblins will rip a 1st level party in half. Their two dice of bonus flanking damage is intense.

-Username17
There is that- every hit is essentially a one-shot. But looking at the other monsters (and hearing about the goblins in the sample adventure, admittedly second hand), hobbos sound like an individual design failure rather than the norm. What is normally 'too easy' is suddenly too hard because they tacked on a 3rd level class feature for the entire combat (rather than just the surprise round, like the bugbear).
Previn
Knight-Baron

Post by Previn »

Voss wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:4 Hobgoblins will rip a 1st level party in half. Their two dice of bonus flanking damage is intense.

-Username17
There is that- every hit is essentially a one-shot. But looking at the other monsters (and hearing about the goblins in the sample adventure, admittedly second hand), hobbos sound like an individual design failure rather than the norm. What is normally 'too easy' is suddenly too hard because they tacked on a 3rd level class feature for the entire combat (rather than just the surprise round, like the bugbear).
Goblins from the sample adventure are 15 AC, 7 hit points, +4 to hit and deal d6+2 damage in melee or at range. They can also disengage or hide as a bonus action every single turn. The first encounter of the sample adventure is an ambush of 4 of them.

The advice says that 2 of the goblins will rush forward (no idea why, they're int 10 and that's a bad idea), and that if they should defeat the party, they leave them alive and just loot the groups wagon. If the party drops 3 of them, the 4th goblin will run.
animea90
Journeyman

Post by animea90 »

Covent wrote:
Josh_Kablack wrote:
Lago PARANOIA wrote: If a game as unplayable and baroque as Exalted can still have fans almost 12 years later, .
Since we're picking apart math: Exalted 1e shipped in July 2001. It is currently July 2014. :p
1.) I would argue that D&D (All editions) is much more of a math game than anything that White wolf ever put out.

2.) Exalted... Yeah, I bought a limited edition copy of the first edition, read it, and I still feel dirty.

3.) WTF! Since when has it been bad to hold any game to the standard of "The designers had to at least think about the underlying math, instead of being useless fuckwits?"
Exalted is a great example of a game surviving off its setting. The rules aren't good, but its one of the rare games to openly admit your character is inherently better than 99.9999% of the population and the rules do a decent job of modeling that. Mortals get seriously shafted.
animea90
Journeyman

Post by animea90 »

Chances are that will just make things worse. Special snowflake rules will make high level NPCs even tankier.