Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Blasted wrote: As your USB ports are 1 rather than 2 or 3, forget about it. To upgrade the usb ports, you need to get an expansion card. Here's one

You may get a boost from upgrading your hard disk to an SSD, but for that type of cash, you could probably do the motherboard, cpu and ram.

tldr; You're going to need to upgrade most of the system.
Ah, a link speaks a thousand words. I actually do have a spare expansion slot open on my computer (it had a 56k dial-up modem that I took out due to hardware issues). Should not be a big deal to install.

But yes, my computer has needed an update for quite some time, it's just the money situation has prevented me from doing that.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:a high-quality breeding partner
I should put that on my resume!
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:If you're clumsy, kind of stupid, and work at a box store, it doesn't really work like that, heh."
That sounds like me 10 years ago. I went through many failed proto-relationships in college. My college dating scene was intensely aggravating, and if someone told me they could get laid in a week if they put forth the effort at that time, I'd have been tempted to punch them in the face. Intensely aggravating. It even drove me into the murky depths of blogging back then.

A charming, entertaining, in-shape, decent lookin guy who can clap one handed and touch the tip of his nose with his tongue. How was I not up to my face in pussy? I'll never know.
Last edited by erik on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

erik wrote: My college dating scene was intensely aggravating, and if someone told me they could get laid in a week if they put forth the effort at that time, I'd have been tempted to punch them in the face.
It's not as great as it sounds. The odds are good, but the goods are odd...

EDIT: Also, you can say "that sounds like me 10 years ago", but considering you described 10 years ago as your college years that would put me about your age if not slightly older. And this is as far as I've gotten. I'm not joking when I call myself a loser, it's the truth.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Count, if you need more RAM, buy a couple of 2 or 4 gb sticks and toss whatever you have to to make room.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Count Arioch the 28th
King

I was told that my motherboard would not accept larger sticks. Whether that is true or not I have no idea: I've done a lot of things with my computer that this friend of mine said I couldn't do...

EDIT: Does that even make sense? The computer had 750 Mb out of the factory, my friend cannibalized a computer very much like mine and put 750Mb more in there. He said it couldn't take bigger sticks. How do I tell? Because I really shouldn't take shit as fact automatically, since this person seems intent on making me dependent on him to fix my computer (he shit a ton of bricks when he learned that I formatted my hard drive myself, and installed a sound card as well).
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

Can you supply the model of machine, or if it's a BYO, the model of the motherboard?
The next option would be the name of the cpu and approximate time of purchase.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Yeah, look up your motherboard specs and what it can take. It probably can't take a lot more RAM, it sounds like your computer is old as shit.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Trying to figure it out, I do know that the motherboard is original to the computer, which was a Gateway 510 purchased in 2004.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

750 is a wierd size; it's probably really one 512 and one 256. That means you can use at least 512mb/slot and have four slots. It is moderately unlikely that it won't take 4x1gb, and very unlikely that it won't take 4x512mb. It is almost impossible that it would take more than 4gb overall.

Maybe you can talk the Best Buy folks into testing whether you can use 1gb sticks? I'm not usually real impressed with them, but if you find a good enough sale there, it might be worthwhile. Or if there's a Russian chop shop near you, though that's really hit or miss.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Alright, does E210882 mean anything? I am seeing tons of numbers in here. Also, there's a big "Intel" on it.

EDIT: Fectin's answer seems most reasonable, there are 4 sticks in the motherboard.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:Trying to figure it out, I do know that the motherboard is original to the computer, which was a Gateway 510 purchased in 2004.
http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/compatib ... /list.html
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Count Arioch the 28th
King

According to http://www.ehow.com/facts_7311719_speci ... 10882.html

my motherboard only supports up to 1Gb of ram per slot, which means I can top out at 4. I am somewhat baffled why Gateway put such a huge processor in such an old computer though <shrug>.

EDIT: It seems that a 32 bit OS will only see about 3.5 gb of ram anyhow. I may get 2 1g sticks, and match the 512gb sticks I have on the other two slots.

Edit #2: My god, why does 2Gb of data cost $91!? I can buy a 2Gb flash drive for less than it costs to buy a burger, for christ's sake!
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

It's old RAM, which few companies produce at scale.
Apparently this will work for you.
If you put the matching sticks in the RAM slots which are the same colour, it should work just fine.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Because you can access RAM at like 5000 times the speed you can access Flash, and it costs more money to build something that operates faster.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Kaelik wrote:Because you can access RAM at like 5000 times the speed you can access Flash, and it costs more money to build something that operates faster.
Ah, that makes sense.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Annoying question I've needed answered for a while. Where can I find a forum of people who'd be interested in actually playing a setting creation game? A game which is both a creative writing exercise and an actual game that you play against other people to win? I'll need about 4-5 players, at least. I've tried Reddit, but the format makes it hard to follow, as well as the Escapist forums, but it failed to draw an audience. I also asked if anyone would like if I ran it here, and the post got no replies, so I'm assuming not. So, I'm looking for another place. The tone of the setting is going to be set in large part by the people I end up running the setting creation game with, which is why I've ruled out /tg/. I don't want this to turn out grimdark.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:How can I trick my computer into thinking I have more RAM?

My computer had 1.5 gig of ram, and a 3.0 GHz dual-core processor. My brother has said that my RAM is causing a bottleneck and that my computer would be a lot faster if I upgraded.
Do you know what operating system you're using? How old is the motherboard. I thought a typical 32 bit system would take about 3GB of RAM. If you're running XP or even Win2000, you should be fine.

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:Second question: All my USB ports are USB 1.0. I want to upgrade them to USB 2.0. How do I do that? I've been told several times to get a pci card, but I can't get them to explain what that even means. Keep in mind I'm not particularly bright, so use short words.
If you look at the back of your case, you should see several slots like this:

You probably wont' have anywhere near that many, and most (or all) will probably be full, but those are what your PCI slots look like from the outside of your machine. On the inside, they look like the five baize slots on the upper left of this image:

So, if you had one open, you could get a PCI USB card for your computer which will probably add about four ports to your machine. You have to make sure it's the right type of card, though (not PCI Express if your motherboard doesn't take that).
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Crap. I missed this post when I made my last one, so it looks like you figured that much out.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote: Edit #2: My god, why does 2Gb of data cost $91!? I can buy a 2Gb flash drive for less than it costs to buy a burger, for christ's sake!
Where are you looking? I bought 2GB sticks at TigerDirect a year ago for under $50 apiece. You'll have to make sure you buy the right type for your motherboard. The link Blasted sent you has two 1GB sticks for $40 after rebate.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

It seems that CA's figured out the important part, but I wanted to throw out a link to a cool diagnostic program that lets you learn stuff about your computer without having to take it apart (assuming you're using Windows).

System Information for Windows {OK, Computers, Practical}
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I wrote this up a while back (2004?). It's a decent performance boost under XP. It works best if you have a separate physical drive from your system drive, but makes a difference even if you only have one hdd(because of fragmenting and resizing).

Edit: DO NOT DELETE A PARTITION YOU CARE ABOUT!
I was a bit blase about it in the directions, but really, be careful there.
So there's three things you want to do:
1) Partition off a swap drive
2) Remove the recycler bin from that drive
3) Set your swap file up on that drive.

1 is probably the most complicated, and it isn't very.
I'll step by step it from a drive with one partition already installed (probably how a new drive would come)
1) Go to Start-Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management
2) In the pane on the left of the Computer Management window, select the 'Disk Management' tool under the 'Storage' heading.
3) Find your disk. If it has a partition, it will be labeled with that drive letter. Otherwise, it will probably say "unpartitioned space" or something similar.
4) If you already have a partition, you will need to get rid of it. Note here that it's important that you choose the right disk, as this command has results similar to "Format c:"
To get rid of a Partition, right click it and select 'Delete Partition'
5) Add your swap drive. Right click, select new partition, set the size to ~3GB(see note at end) and hit ok. You want the NTFS filesystem if it asks, but that should be the default. Oh, and you want to mount it as a drive. I called mine the S drive and named it 'wap' It shows up as (S)wap. See how clever I am? Anyway, if I say 'S:' from now on, it means whatever drive letter you used.
6) Add a regular partition. Right click the unpartioned space, say new partition, etc. just like before. The only different things this time are that you want to use up the rest of your free space and that you need to choose a different drive letter. I recommend 'D:' because that's pretty much the standard. If you really want to be clever, you can mount this one in a folder, but I really can't recommend that just for general storage. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, but managing your free space gets kind of wacky.
7) That's it for this step

2 is probably the easiest.
1) Right click the Recycle Bin on your desktop and select Properties.
2) In the 'Global' tab, select 'Configure Drives Independently' It's the first option at the top
3) Select the (S:) tab (or whatever letter you gave your swap drive)
4) Check the option "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin..." (s only applies to the swap drive, which should never have files on it anyway)
5) That's it. Hit OK and move on.

3 is long, but fairly simple
1) Right click 'My Computer' (in your start menu) and select properties.
2) Go to the 'Advanced' tab.
3) There are three boxed off areas, Performance, User Profiles, and Startup And Recovery. Each of them has a settings button. You want the one in the Performance box. Click it.
4) Got to the 'Advanced' tab in the Performance Options window.
5) There are two sets of radio buttons and a 'Change' button. Click 'Change'
6) You should be in a window labeled 'Virtual Memory' if not, something is wrong.
7) You will see a list of your drives at the top. Select the S: drive. (Or again, whatever you named your swap drive)
8) Select the "custom Size" radio button.
9) In the 'Initial Size' text box, enter 2000. There isn't anything sacred about 2000, it's just approximately 2GB. (you want your swap drive ~1GB larger than your paging file, otherwise windows will complain at you. Since the drive is 3GB, the swap file is 2GB)
10) In the 'Maximum size' text box, enter 2000 (the same number as the initial size)
11) Press the 'Set' button
12) For each of your other drives, Select it from the list at the top, select the 'No Paging File' radio button, then press the 'Set' button.
13) Press OK. You should get an alert notifying you that you need to restart to see your changes.
14) Press ok on the 'Performance Options' window.
15) Press ok on the 'System Properties' window.
16) Reboot. You are done.

**Note about swap file sizes
Microsoft's recommended swap file size is 1.5 x RAM. I find I get an extra performance boost by roughly doubling that. Any more, and there aren't any real benefits though. So for example, if you have 1GB of RAM, anything more than ~3GB of swap is mostly just excessive.
Additionally, I think there may be a maximum amount of swap space windows will actually use at about 4GB. I use a 2GB swap file in this example because it'll work well for anyone who doesn't have obscene amounts of RAM. If you want a different size swap file, go for it, just remember to make your swap drive ~1GB larger than the file.
Last edited by fectin on Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Neeeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeeek »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote: How come that (with few exceptions), women I know make loud and bold statements about how a man is incapable of pleasing a woman it's completely socially acceptable (and even attract men who are looking for a challenge), but when I make the claim that every woman I've been with has been incapable of pleasing me, I'm considered misogynistic?

I'm just curious. My current theory is that 99% of the population are so wrapped up in their own comings and goings they are incapable of pleasing anyone. (I have never had sex with a man before, I'm just assuming they are as incapable of grasping the concept that sex is something you do with someone and not something done to you as women are. I am not feeling adventurous enough to try it).

I'm just curious about the double standard here.
I think I've actually figured this one out. The reason is women can suck in bed and it doesn't matter, because most guys can get themselves off without the woman doing much of anything. It is presumed that the guy can manage on his own, but for no discernible reason, woman aren't expected to.
K
King

Post by K »

Neeeek wrote: I think I've actually figured this one out. The reason is women can suck in bed and it doesn't matter, because most guys can get themselves off without the woman doing much of anything. It is presumed that the guy can manage on his own, but for no discernible reason, woman aren't expected to.
I think it's more than that. Studies show that 75% of women don't have orgasm from straight intercourse, but need oral, toys, etc. Ten to 15% don't have them at all.

The problem is twofold:

1. No one seems to have told the women. I'm not sure why, but no one seems to talk about the 75%.

2. Women seem to be incapable of telling men what they want. I've met some women who can get off over and over, and some who I could never figure out what worked (if anything).

Women all over the world seem to be trained to believe that wanting sexual pleasure makes you a whore and thus they don't talk about it unless they are 200% comfortable with you. Considering that some women never get that comfortable with their husbands, they settle for not getting pleasure.

Of course, even if they told their partners, there is a good chance that those people would not do what is necessary out of laziness or selfishness.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

So, I tried to update my graphics drivers and got a blue screen of death, and now my graphics card is not working.

Is there a solution to this sort of thing?

EDIT: Okay, I rolled back the driver. It works, but so much for fixing that intermittent display driver crash I keep getting.
Last edited by name_here on Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

fectin wrote:I wrote this up a while back (2004?). It's a decent performance boost under XP. It works best if you have a separate physical drive from your system drive, but makes a difference even if you only have one hdd(because of fragmenting and resizing).
Another decent hard drive-based method of speeding up your computer is to partition the beginning (outer edge) of the disc to your 'Windows partition', with all of your programs, and then leave the rest of the disc for your data. Doing so makes it easy to reinstall Windows without erasing all of your data (and makes backups more straight-forward), but it also gives a bit of a speedup in load times because your programs are in a more quickly accessible location.

By the same token, getting a bigger drive that spins at the same speed and then putting your data at the front (outer edge) can give a noticeable speedup. Data access at the end (inner edge of the platter) will be slower, but with a bigger drive that shouldn't be an issue. Getting a faster drive will also give a speedup, of course.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Where can I find a forum of people who'd be interested in actually playing a setting creation game?
Since I'm sure you're all burning with curiousity as to the resolution of this dillemma, I thought I'd point out that this question is currently being considered for an upgrade from "annoying" to "rather irksome" and possibly even straight to "frustrating sort of thing that nags at the back of you head when you're trying to do something important" (FSoTTNatBoYHWYTtdSI).

Because you can never have enough acronyms.
Last edited by Chamomile on Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.