Annoying Game Questions You Want Answered

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Exactly how broken is the feral template?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

What about with a druid with the (seeming complete nerf) Shapeshift ACF from PHB2?

Edit: The Feral Template mentions "Monstrous HD," seeming to mean racial HD (or possibly Monstrous Humanoid HD). A Feral, say, Elf, wouldn't have any racial HD, and thus wouldn't get any specials from the template. Is this a correct reading?
Last edited by Prak on Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

It does, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something. Given that this is a player who is usually a bit more of an optimizer, I'm ok with this, as he is, intentionally or no, handicapping himself.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

For Barbarian type characters it is worth taking at all, assuming the game starts at level 4-5 so you already have enough hit dice that the level loss doesn't outright kill you. It basically takes your Orc Barbarian and adds a multiplier to "being an Orc Barbarian". Because that's all it is. MORE OF THAT. You lose even more Int, and gain even more Str and Con, and get natural weapons you probably won't use*, Fast Healing, Natural Armour and Pounce.

For any other character, you wouldn't want to do that. But for that one type, it's worth the pay-off (as long as you don't instantly die at class level 1, party level 2). Which is better than most Templates give you.

*You could make a case for using them if you can magically enhance them. Presumably if you coat them in Adamantium ala Wolverine, they would count as Masterwork so could be enhanced. But even then, only if the MC rules that class levels still advance your Rake and Rend.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

How does Planar Binding work in Pathfinder?
Last edited by Longes on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Dude, never kill the Nightmare, when it is dead it can give you free Astral Projection.

You should be Astral Projecting.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Kaelik wrote:Dude, never kill the Nightmare, when it is dead it can give you free Astral Projection.

You should be Astral Projecting.
In PF Nightmares no longer have Astral Projection.

In ultimate Magic they actually wasted some space on binding: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ulti ... iders.html
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Hm. I guess I shouldn't have left my Void cleric's charisma at 10...
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

ubernoob wrote:
Longes wrote:Hm. I guess I shouldn't have left my Void cleric's charisma at 10...
Really doesn't matter. Just throw some bestow curses on that fucker. -6 to charisma, -4 to attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks shifts the RNG 7 points in your favor. That's before throwing down status conditions like shaken/negative levels/etc.
So what you are saying is, while I chant eldritch incantations, my pet bard should dance Thriller at the beastie? While fighter juggles greatswords intimidatingly?
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

I've also managed to convince the MC to allow me (a cleric of Groetus) to take Wisdom of the Flesh trait, which makes Stealth my class skill dependant on Wisdom.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

SRD Etheral Filcher wrote:Ethereal Jaunt (Su)

An ethereal filcher can shift from the Ethereal Plane to the Material Plane as part of any move action, and shift back again as a free action. It can remain on the Ethereal Plane for 1 round before returning to the Material Plane. The ability is otherwise identical with the ethereal jaunt spell (caster level 15th).
Is it just me, or were Etheral Filchers clearly meant to have Blink? I'd also give them Plane Shift at will (self only, Material<->Etheral only, 1 minute casting time).

Are there any actual consequences to swapping customized Etheral Jaunt for standard Blink that I'm missing?

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So they should have Blink with "For each 5 feet of solid material they walk through past 20', there is a 50% chance that they become material."

That still seems to be a less major change than "this version of etheral jaunt lasts 1 round."

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

It's just so weird to make a function call to a spell with a duration of 1 rnd/CL, say it's at CL 15, and then say "but they can only be there for one round"

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well, along this theme: how the hell does this "1 round etheral jaunt" affect spot checks to see the thing?

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

If you make the swashbuckler and martial artist the same class (Lightly-armored acrobatic combatant who practices increasingly ridiculous and supernatural combat styles), what would you call that class? Anything I can think of either connotes one but not the other (kensei) or a bad fit after level 4 or so (bravo) or both (duelist).
Last edited by Schleiermacher on Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Luchadore.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.