Saga Star Wars' handling of skills

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

User3
Prince

Saga Star Wars' handling of skills

Post by User3 »

Look at this.
While it may not be granular enough for many people's tastes, how's that (half character level + ability + fixed training bonus + Skill Focus) for handling multiclassing and infinite scaling at the same time? If that's the way of future for D&D, it looks like it'd work even better for saving throws than for skills (since granularity wouldn't be missed). Your thoughts, folks?
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Re: Saga Star Wars' handling of skills

Post by Fwib »

Anything that allows a DM to 'do a build instantly in his head' when an NPC's abilities suddenly become relevant is probably a good thing.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I'd be willing to throw out skill focus, myself.

But we still have the problem of vs skills and static skills... The latter you can stop putting points into at some point in the game, and in a system with scaling skills, people just will avoid taking those skills.

Which is probably not so good.

-Crissa
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Yay for quick building for sure ...

Crissa: yes, Skill Focus looks more than a bit unneeded, but about static skills, all one needs to do (at least in D&D; probably not so much for Star Wars) is to defenestrate realism and make high modifiers accomplish the awesome, like running up walls, only without having to spend more points on it than most would care - if every skill gets a new use every few levels (of course, one that's actually relevant, which is why realism needs to step out), the problem vanishes.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

If you have a game that ends at some definitive point, then you can mix static and scaling skills as long as the static skills remain useful up the point of the game ending. In principle, static skills are bad, but if they only start being bad after you no longer care, it doesn't really matter.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Judging by the fact they likely combined skills into one another (Spot, Listen, Sense Motive, all one skill), and it sounds like there will be the occasional opposed rolls with them too, there are probably very few non-scaling skills.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Search was folded into Perception too ... it just makes me wonder why the hell Deception and Persuasion are still separate, since they're basically Bluff and Diplomacy (so different from each other ...).

Also, any - published - game has to have a breakpoint, if nothing else, due to lack of space to print new abilities, so literally infinite scaling only comes up if someone's making things up just for their campaign. So, even a purely static skill could be made to work, and those really are looking rare/nonexistant.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Fwib at [unixtime wrote:1176314299[/unixtime]]Anything that allows a DM to 'do a build instantly in his head' when an NPC's abilities suddenly become relevant is probably a good thing.

Yeah, honestly the biggest problem with D&D right now is the complete inability to create characters on the fly, especially an NPC as opposed to a monster.

I generally think the changes to the saga system actually look good. It'd be nice to see that implemented in D&D.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

The problem is... How do I make people want epic swimming enough not to drown in the first ten levels? How do I make a character that can passably scale fences in combat time who's not interested in epic climb?

I can make a case for epic Healing being something someone would want. But the other non-vs skills are tougher, and many concepts only want passably good rather than continual scaling.

-Crissa
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Well, the easy answer is that swimming shouldn't be a skill under a system like this. Either you assume that because they're heroes they can all swim unless they bought 'Incompetant Swimmer,' or you bundle swimming into some athletics-type skill.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

What you do with those skills is let the characters do cool things. At high levels, swimming is no longer about not drowning, it's about, I dunno, making whirlpool votices that can sink ships or something. Climb could let you just Air Walk if you're sufficiently awesome.

If the skill essentially gives out fixed abilities at various levels of competency, just give it high level abilities to give out to high level characters.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1176357059[/unixtime]]The problem is... How do I make people want epic swimming enough not to drown in the first ten levels? How do I make a character that can passably scale fences in combat time who's not interested in epic climb?

This is another problem inherent in having skill checks. I've always believed it'd be better to just hand out abilities that people buy that do things pretty much 100% of the time, unless it's something opposed, like stealth versus perception.

But letting people just pay skill points to be able to climb at a fixed speed should just be some ability you buy and shouldn't require a check for.
bitnine
Journeyman

Post by bitnine »

RandomCasualty at [unixtime wrote:1176359261[/unixtime]]But letting people just pay skill points to be able to climb at a fixed speed should just be some ability you buy and shouldn't require a check for.
Yeah, I've sort of been a fan of the one/half/X rank buy-in method. People like it conceptually when characters who shouldn't in their minds be able to swim or climb or what have you don't have that option. So toss in a base level competency cost that is so nominal that it's more or less an opt-out. But do have that minimum competency threshold be fully functional.

Either that or get people not to say, "Wizard can climb a cliff? I'm freaking out!" But that probably ain't going to happen.