WotC: Bringing You Suck Beyond Suck

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

User3
Prince

WotC: Bringing You Suck Beyond Suck

Post by User3 »

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327

Jesus H. Christ, I couldn't bring you a worse PrC if I looked through 3rd-party books for an hour.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Re: WotC: Bringing You Suck Beyond Suck

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Read the special req:

"Special: The candidate must have spent the entire previous level using all 3rd level or higher spell slots to exclusively cast haste."

AKA: "Only the player who does this in my game will take this PrC that I custom wrote with and for him."

It's a class like the Daggerspell Mage or Invisible Blade.

Meant to provide a PrC for a player who has a cool concept that currently sucks mechanically.

Althought, that class still does suck. The player it was written for won't care since all he cares about is getting his Haste jones on.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

It doesn't... it doesn't make you better at casting haste. I don't understand. I really don't understand.

It's a class all about haste and it doesn't make you better at casting haste. I mean, at the level you can take it, you get the ability to quicken spells easier, but you don't get a caster level. But you aren't high enough level to actually quicken haste - so I'm totally lost.

-Username17
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Here's what's stuck in my craw: the class requires you to be a full blown caster (5 wiz or 6 sor) to take it as early as possible. Got it? Caster, not skirmisher, not meleer but fragile arcane castey guy. Also, this is 3.5 so haste does very little of direct benefit for the caster themselves. An increase to AC, reflex saves and movement is nice but not worth a third level spell all its own. Its not like a caster really needs any of those things; the fighter does, the barbarian does, the rogue does (sometimes). So why - why make a class the requires a full caster to marginally increase his ability to perform a full attack in melee? At the expense of caster levels? A rogue would love this class.... if he qualified for it. But this... yeesh!..
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

This class is definitive proof that WotC hates us all.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

It's like a retard version of Sonic the hedgehog.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Kolja Liquette has a history of not being strong in applying balanced game mechanics or knowledge of combinatorial optimization to his creations. He's even admitted his prior errors on the WotC boards to his own chagrin.

So this is pretty much a de rigeur Kolja game mechanic. It's pretty much expected at this point. {shrug}

---

I even tried to toss this crappy spellcaster PrC into a Sublime Chord and Nar Demonbinder chassis (both are at times forgiving of spellcaster PrCs without full SC levels). Neither worked for a variety of reasons such as skill incompatibilities, awkward party role provider, etc.

I hope there is no future trend to have spell-specialized caster classes. While the gnomish shadowcraft mage made Silent Image into a game winner and was interesting (although still rife with blurry rule ajudications regarding greater than 100% "reality" in shadow spells), not many other specialized-spell casters would translate well into a 10 level PrC. Don't forget the underwhelming Teleport Mage PrC in Complete Arcane that is only good for 1 of 3 levels.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

site wrote:Blurred Alacrity (Sp): At 5th level, a swiftblade's knowledge of the haste spell manifests an additional spell effect. Whenever the swiftblade casts haste, they also gain the concealment and miss chances of the blur spell.

Holy shit. This is the worst ability ever written.

*Why is it spell-like?
*How does it interact with True Seeing and the like?
*How long does it last? (Note it procs on casting, not on being affected by haste)

Jesus Christ.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Judging__Eagle at [unixtime wrote:1175192847[/unixtime]]Read the special req:

"Special: The candidate must have spent the entire previous level using all 3rd level or higher spell slots to exclusively cast haste."

This is an all-time low, even for WotC.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Still better than the Fighter, even though you get cohort-of-a-cohort casting by the end.
Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

The Swiftblade

"I don't just suck. I suck way faster than you.

- Some guy playing a swiftblade

How's that for flavour text?
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

I love it! It's insinuating something too.
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

I thought the Char Op were to make characters that don't suck, not how do I get to this crappy class the fastest.

Most of the build shown are horrible gishes.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

I thought the CO boards were for making random 20th level builds that have numbers that seem vaguely impressive but really suck. Oh, and for idiots to cite in arguments.
josephbt
Knight

Post by josephbt »

So, after all the crap this class puts you through, at level 10 it bones you once more?
I know that adventurers don't die of old age, but this is simply retarded. Hey there, you're level 10, you're gonna die faster now! Jolly, isn't it?

Was the author going for that air of a rock star - "It's better to burn out fast, than to slowly fade away!"?
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
bitnine
Journeyman

Post by bitnine »

Wow, I've always had an unrelenting hard-on for the haste spell to the point of wanting a class based on just that spell as well as enjoying playing characters who couldn't decide if they were spellcasters or combatants to their great detriment.

Finally, there's a class for me! Nevermind that the capstone ability subsumes a number of the previous granted abilities, it's worth it for that special requirement alone.
erik
King

Post by erik »

josephbt at [unixtime wrote:1175206840[/unixtime]]So, after all the crap this class puts you through, at level 10 it bones you once more?
I know that adventurers don't die of old age, but this is simply retarded. Hey there, you're level 10, you're gonna die faster now! Jolly, isn't it?

I think they're going for the mercy-killing appeal. By level 4 you'll yearn for it.
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

WotC wrote:Had a chance to try out this prestige class? [URL=mailto:dndfeedback@wizards.com?subject=Swiftblade]Let us know your thoughts[/URL] on how it played or what changes you would make to it.

So much hate... I can't even properly write an angry email about it.
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
josephbt
Knight

Post by josephbt »

@Judging Eagle

Your post was bugging me but i couldn't put my finger on it. I remembered just now.

The Invisible Blade. The guy that wrote this hastomancer piece of donkey crap, is the guy that wrote that class. Kolja Raven Liquette.

I remember that the guy complained about WotC butchering his original concept. As far as I'm concerned, no butchering was done. You can't butcher shite.

Here is the original
[counturl=51]Click for hot blady action - NOT[/counturl]
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

Eh? What's wrong with the Invisible Blade? (assuming you're referring to the CW Invisible Blade, because I'm too lazy to download yours) Aside from the vague silliness of requiring daggers, it's a solid sneak attack PRC. Free action feint is a decent way to make all your attacks sneak attacks (there are others, but this way you don't die vs True Seeing), so I don't see your problem with this.
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

(Checked out your version)

Ahh, the original version saved free action feint to 10th level, and gave out some extra junk in the meantime. I agree, that is worse.
josephbt
Knight

Post by josephbt »

Glad you read it, i was all fired up to respond.

Anyway, regarding the hastomancer, if you take it all the way to level 10, does this mean that your level 7 ability doesn't work anymore since you're not casting Haste anymore?
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

The CW version is a decent class if you're going to be sneak attacking with daggers; but the original version sucked. That's what editing is for.

Beyond that, as written, the hastomancer does indeed lose many of his abilities at 10th level, because he stops casting haste.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

So, how would you make the class?